Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 10:25   #1

Go Green! Report a “smoking bus” in Karnataka and get ₹1000

Karnataka State Road and Transport Corporation (KSRTC) and Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) have launched a “green” initiative, where citizens are asked to report buses that are causing pollution. Citizens of fifteen districts in Karnataka, including Bengaluru, are urged to call the BMTC helpline (1800-425-1663), and report buses that are seen to emit harmful pollutants.

As per a KSRTC official, three buses have been reported by citizens this year, who have been rewarded as well. As per BMTC officials, over 10 buses were reported last year. The drive has been launched this year to ensure that all buses emitting more than 65 Hartridge Smoke Units (HSU) will be immediately discontinued, and will be replaced by buses in accordance with the limitation set by the board. This joint initiative by KSRTC and BMTC to go green will also include an attempt to seek biofuel in order to replace the buses emitting carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides and promethium, which have a negative impact on the environment.

BMTC aims to arrange 2,40,000 litres of biodiesel for BMTC buses, which will have 20 percent biodiesel starting this June. KSRTC, in addition to introducing 10 biodiesel buses last year, blended the fuel used in buses with 20 percent biodiesel. This was done during a trial period, the results of which were overwhelming. Replacing about 5000 litres of diesel with biodiesel for one month has not only prevented the emission of 7,650 kg of carbon dioxide but also hugely mitigated the pollution caused by promethium emission.

source - https://thelogicalindian.com/environ...%E2%82%B91000/

Last edited by Aditya : 16th June 2016 at 07:05. Reason: Inserting link
shreyaskr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Go Green! Report a “smoking bus” in Karnataka and get ₹1000

I think I can make a killing by going on a snapping spree, to click smoking KaSRTC & BMTC buses. Especially those rickety Volvo city buses that break down dime a dozen. The Tata-Marcopolo RE AC buses would've made it a sure-shot 98 clicks, but they've been pulled out of service.

Sarcasm aside, most of the newer, BS-4 buses are right now in decent shape, and I hope the BMTC orders low-cost AC buses such as JanBus in place of Volvo 8400LE coaches, as the latter will be left to rot once the AMC gets over, like what's happening these days. Heck, some of the BS-3 non-AC buses fare far better than the BS-3 Volvo buses, proving that the maintenance of the Volvos has gone for a toss and so are the buses
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Back in 2012-13, when I was working in Bangalore, I used to dread these buses (I used to commute on my bike). Those old red Volvos belched more thick black smoke than a brick kiln. Most of the Marcopolos had been phased out by then (they are still a nuisance here in Hyderabad). A 10 km ride in the city meant a thin layer of black soot on my clothes. Had this rule been introduced back then, I would have doubled my mostly income.

A couple of weeks back, I visited the city but I don't remember seeing a single Volvo on the road. May be I was too engrossed in registering the other changes in the city.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 18:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Go hide Marco's!

BMTC is actually doing a stricter emission test every month also when required. They have been fighting with RE AC Marcopolo and they have ceased to exist and should be a relief for BMTC to take this test. But still the BS3 FE SLF buses are still a night mare

Last edited by ampere : 14th June 2016 at 18:49. Reason: Fixed typo
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 06:00   #5
BHPian

Great initiative!! I hope to see this launched pan-India.

Fun fact: If they did this with auto-rickshaws in Hyderabad, many people would become rich overnight.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 07:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good move, but not a great move.

The Government should prioritize periodic maintenance. With proper periodic maintenance, all buses should run fine (without any breakdown) and pollutant levels shouldn't exceed the norms the bus complies with.
Still, credit goes to them for taking some steps in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyaskr View Post
seen to emit harmful pollutants.
Seen to emit harmful pollutants?

Does that mean buses which emit clear smoke pollute within the prescribed norms?
Old 15th June 2016, 07:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good move but what I fail to understand is are the local municipal corporations self confirming that none of their buses undergo PUC checks. Instead of asking the public to snap pics, they could themselves find out the smoke spewing buses by doing a PUC campaign. Which also means that the maintenance on the buses is a big question and I am sure somebody is going to cry hoarse on this.

Is the biodiesel much cheaper than the normal diesel? Couldn't they do this changeover once they have established that the buses are maintained properly and are well under the pollution norms.
Old 15th June 2016, 11:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

This must be the crappiest of all contests. Even common sense seems to be lost for KSRTC. Visible smoke = pollution? How about particulates that aren't visible? Why cant KSRTC do in house checks and ensure they don't pollute? Isn't pollution certificate mandatory for buses also?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks