Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2021, 14:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Caravans - Why not in India ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
He said that Campervans are bought and registered in 9+D seating configuration, but they come with the whole body shell with just front 2 seats, rest of the seats are missing. There is ABS, but no AC, as Campervans require AC ducts in various places according to the internal bed and seating configuration etc., So ducts and AC will be done by the fabricator themselves. Unlike the cargo version, these models have glass windows all around like in a normal Force Traveller bus

Option 1 (4020 T2 Drive Away Chassis)
The 4020 T2 Shell costs 18.48 Lakhs ex-showroom. Has an internal length (length behind the driver's seat) of ~5200mm, width of 2200mm and height of 6 feet.

Option 2 (3700 Drive Away Chassis)
The 3700 costs 16.3 ex-showroom, has a 1.8m width, and 4300-4400mm internal length and same 6 feet height.

Have asked him for some external and internal images of these Drive Away Chassis as well, will upload them once I get them from him.
So, finally I have been sent the images of Force Traveller 4020 Drive Away Chassis

Caravans - Why not in India ?-img20210607wa0008.jpg
The front look with marker lamps on top of the windshield and seems like a provision for fog lamps. But no fog lamps provided directly from the factory.

Caravans - Why not in India ?-img20210607wa0004.jpg
The rear boot door with 4 parking sensors below and marker lamps on top

Caravans - Why not in India ?-img20210607wa0006.jpg
The side profile with marker lamps down below

Caravans - Why not in India ?-img20210607wa0005.jpg
Front to rear look of the empty cabin, so many mods can be planned in there for a wonderful campervan

Caravans - Why not in India ?-img20210607wa0001.jpg
Notice the Emergency Exit door on the rear right, where Fire Extinguisher is also kept

Caravans - Why not in India ?-img20210607wa0002.jpg
Rear to front look of the empty cabin, I guess it can fit a sideways 6x6 bed in there easily.

Caravans - Why not in India ?-img20210607wa0007.jpg
6 way adjustable driver seat with another fire extinguisher and VIN Plate

Caravans - Why not in India ?-img20210607wa0003.jpg
Front Passenger Seat

Upon being asked to provide images of Traveller 3700 Drive Away Chassis, he replied that it's the same as the regular 3700 with seats intact. So not sharing any images, he replied.

P.S. - Tata Motors guys in Mandi (H.P.) still have no clue. The Sales Head for North India was taken in conference call, and he only knows of Vanity Vans, not Campervans. Even then, he said there is a price revision in plan for the Commercial Vehicles line up once the plant reopens after Covid-19 Lockdown, hence he didn't inform about the price at which Winger 15S is being retailed at the moment to get a comparative idea of the expense.

Winger 15S BS4 was Rs.12.05 Lakhs as per many websites, so the BS6 will easily be over 13-14 Lakhs now, and so quite close to the Traveller 3700 chassis price.
AdityaDeane is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 17:20   #92
BHPian

I am on a trip and just pulled off the road and parked by a lake for the night. The red one is a California Exclusive full camper. There is even a shower, toilet and heating.
Mine is a weekend camper but fitted with a night heater that burns diesel.

Caravans - Why not in India ?-a03a5ad580ec4bcaa522cf82cc3fcd40.jpeg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th June 2021 at 04:55. Reason: Minor typos. Thanks.
Indian2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 22:43   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread. As some members have pointed out, there is a difference between RV (recreational Vehicle) and caravans. The RV is very much an American thing and some of these can be huge. Caravans are typically the trailer type home towed to a camping. They are very popular in (western Europe). Over the last decade or so we have also seen so called campers here in Europe. In essence somewhat smaller RV, more suitable to the European infrastructure.

Caravanning (and campers) are hugely popular in many western European Countries. If you think the TopGear boys had anything to moan about the roughly 550,000 caravans in the UK think again. We have that many in the Netherlands! A tiny country compared to the UK. Effectively almost 1 in 8 families in the Netherlands own a caravan (or camper). On top of that, many families enjoy camping and they will own very elaborate camping gear.

Here is the thing: Caravans, camping are the great equalisers in countries such as the Netherlands. Everybody does it. All kinds of people. When you park you caravan at a camping you might find the CEO of a multinational to your left, a postman to the right, a minister behind you and a shop assistant in front of you. everybody does it.

And no matter how luxurious these caravans are, to some extend it is always roughing it a bit, compared to home and compared to staying in a hotel. You have to wash, clean, cook and do everything yourself what you were doing yourself here in the Netherlands. (nobody has staff in Europe). My wife categorically refused to cook, wash or clean when we go on holiday. We don’t mind roughing it a bit, but we are on holiday and holiday is about not doing chores.

Some people just love the camping life. A very good friend of mine has been going to the same camping in France for his whole life. His parents went there, and he has been taking his family and kids there. Initially, the camped, but now they have a huge caravan. Make no mistake, a descent caravan will cost the same as nicely specced Ford Focus! These things are not cheap. But they last for decades. Partly because they only get used a few weeks of the year. The rest of the year all the caravans are parked in greenhouses. Farmers have found out you make more money renting out greenhouses to park caravans, then trying to grown cucumbers!

I hate caravans with a vengeance. Because they clog up the roads. Most people have no idea on how to drive properly whilst towing one of these monstrosities. Fewer know how to back up a car-caravan combination. It can be hilarious to watch, unless you are in hurry and just want to get passed the idiots.

So apart from all the various things managed about infrastructure I am not so sure if camping (be it in a caravan or camper or tent) is very appealing to Indians. As I said it is roughing it a bit, you will always be less comfortable then in your own home, or a hotel. You need to wash your own dishes, you need to clean out your own (chemical) bog, to name a few chores and you have to enjoy the company of your neighbours at the campsite, who ever they are.

So I am not a huge fan of caravanning or camping. Although I have done a fair bit of camping in my younger days. On my bicycle, little tent strapped to it, all over Europe and later in my Spider with my eldest son (about 8-12 years old at the time).

Now, owning your own yacht, be it a sailing or a motor yacht is a very different kind of thing of course!! Did not see any of that in India either.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 03:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

Althought Recreational Vehicles (RVs)/Motorhomes/Caravans have been main-stay lifestyle vehicles in the West, its a rather alien concept to the masses in our Country where even car ownership has picked up moderately only in the last two decades.

There are tonnes of content on the web about RVs. They are all very interesting to watch especially the technical bits of how they are put together, all the sub-systems (Power sources/management, onboard appliances/devices/facilities , plumbing, waste management, safety aspects and such.

In the recent years, there is definitely a spark of interest about RVs and few companies have started providing RV services catering to this need.

Few thoughts that come to mind on RV landscape in India are:
1. RVs on a Rental basis may pick up in future, but self-owned RVs will always remain rare in India:
- In addition to being able to afford RVs, there needs to be a DIY mindset to own and maintain these vehicles. DIY is not a popular culture in our country. Nothing wrong with that, its just that labour is aboundant, and mainly cheap which is not the case in the West.
- But if the RV vehicle comes with a Driver, cook, other staff to take care of chores, waste management (toilets) of the RVs and if there is no hassle of owning and maintaining this permanently (meaning a rental vehicle), and if the person can afford to Rent it as a package, then why not?

2. Unless there are RV parks or safe designated places specially organized by the RV rental company, safety will be a huge concern. One definitely wouldn't want to camp in a remote place and become a potentially easy target for burglaries/break-ins.
This safety problem exists everywhere in the World. I've seen RVs Ads (US mostly) that boast of a pistol cabinet right next to the bed, so in all probability whoever camps in remote vulnerable areas outside the safety of RV parks definitely would have thought about safety and deterrents.

The concept of hiring an RV with driver, full service staff and safety assurance on Rental basis (at reasonable rates) has the potential to pick up in future. Not so much for self-owned RVs.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th June 2021 at 03:57.
Old 16th July 2021, 14:04   #95
BHPian

Quote:
So, finally I have been sent the images of Force Traveller 4020 Drive Away Chassis
Have they shared any floor plans with dimensions? Cant find any details of the internal dimensions of the 4020 Chasis.
Old 16th July 2021, 21:49   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
Have they shared any floor plans with dimensions? Cant find any details of the internal dimensions of the 4020 Chasis.
The internal dimensions are mentioned in my original post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...ml#post5053785 (Caravans - Why not in India ?)
Old 20th July 2021, 12:47   #97
BHPian

Quote:
The internal dimensions are mentioned in my original post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...ml#post5053785 (Caravans - Why not in India ?)
That is more general dimension, a detailed floor plan will have all dimensions like the height of the wheel wells, door and window dimensions etc,.
Old 20th July 2021, 17:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
That is more general dimension, a detailed floor plan will have all dimensions like the height of the wheel wells, door and window dimensions etc,.
I know, but for that we'll have to find an example of these drive away chassis and get the measurements. If anyone buys one, I pray that they share these details with us all.
Old 19th August 2021, 23:50   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Now, owning your own yacht, be it a sailing or a motor yacht is a very different kind of thing of course!! Did not see any of that in India either.

Jeroen
I have. Vijay Malya had a superyacht named "Indian Achiever" he used to keep moored near the Taj beach resort beach.
We observed blond female washing the deck as we sailed past.
That was in 1998 or thereaboats.

There are many yachts in Mumbai, and a yacht club for decades.
Old 31st July 2022, 14:14   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Option 1 (4020 T2 Drive Away Chassis)
The 4020 T2 Shell costs 18.48 Lakhs ex-showroom. Has an internal length (length behind the driver's seat) of ~5200mm, width of 2200mm and height of 6 feet.

Option 2 (3700 Drive Away Chassis)
The 3700 costs 16.3 ex-showroom, has a 1.8m width, and 4300-4400mm internal length and same 6 feet height.

Insurance is roughly 50K, but will increase based on the value of fabrication etc. of the Campervan, as given by the fabricator.

Registration charges are based on per square feet, seems quite high at roughly Rs.35-40K/m2 (or meter square).
I visited a Force motors showroom yesterday to enquire about buying one to convert into a camper van. The ex-showroom price quoted for the Shell-Only version (no seats and floor mounting appendages supplied) was 15lac for the 3050 (narrow body) and 18lacs for the widebody version of the 3350 (A wee less than 6.8ft width from window to window after padding the walls so you can design a 6.5x5 ft raised double-bed on linear actuators and sleep cross-wise to make room for kitchen and shower in the van. No widebody available in the 3050 version besides you barely get 7ft behind driver seat, while you get 9 ft behind the driver seat in the 3350. The 3050 will be too cramped. The salesman also said buying a widebody cargo van version of the 3350 is not possible for whiteboard registration - which I doubt as once converted into a camper van it makes no difference if the original came in a cargo version or passenger version.

Further the salesman said annual tax would be in the range of 27k and no 15year one-time tax. Not sure if he was confusing it with commercial yellow-board rules?

To justify this expense of say 10lac in conversion I guess I would have to be on the road at least 4 months a year. Else paying 27k for a parked vehicle annually is just nuts! And then I cannot use it as my regular daily drive and parking is going to be a headache.

Then I had my first look at the Gurkha and it was Love at First sight (drool)! I dropped all my dreams about my would-be-wife of a truck for that nimble pretty girl in a tight package prancing playfully on all 4x4s!! Moreover I can use it as a daily drive in ultra comfort compared to my Gypsy. (See my post in the Gurkha review thread for that little detail)

But I am unwilling to throw away my dreams of the camper van living off-grid in the only remote place in India (Leh-Ladhak). So I am now thinking I want to build the off-grid heating/cooling/hot-water/kitchen mods that I researched over weeks into a camping trailer that will only carry the off-grid energy components like DC-DC/Solar MPTT charger, Kitchen wares and sliding tables, water pump, gas based water geyser etc to use with a family size ground based tent as well an awning attached to the Gurkha. Plan is to feed warm air or a/c cooling in the daytime into the ground based tent via wide hoses or flexible piping for a glamping experience. I am anyways not keen on camping anywhere else but Northern/East India so it does not make sense to have a parked campervan most of the year right now as I still work a salaried job for a living. My original aspiration was to quit my job for two years sooner than later (build the camper van while I am earning a salary) and do nothing but travel to recover myself from years of being hostage in a salaried job, but my priorities have suddenly changed to spending that 18lacs on the Gurkha first for improving my immediate daily life, rather than spend that money on a camper van that would be a headache to park (also motivated by the experience of owning a zero-comfort Gypsy as the only car). I think I will earn some more salaried bucks and postpone the campervan build by a few years - I still want it though...

Question is - are small trailers allowed to be towed by whiteboard non-commercial LMV DL holder by RTO in India?

I am looking at a trailer sized approximately the same as the gensets towed behind construction trucks (not the huge generator trucks in film shoots) - Or much less than half the tonnage or G.V.C.C (Gross Vehicle Carrying Capacity) of the towing vehicle. Such a trailer could be easily parked inside your building compound in a corner for most of the year covered with a vehicle raincoat.

Last edited by Ragul : 31st July 2022 at 14:40.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks