Team-BHP - Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/161878-piaggio-ap-xtra-dlx-launched-rs-1-74-lakh.html)

Piaggio has launched the Apé Xtra DLX in India at a price of Rs 1.74 Lakhs (ex-Maharashtra).

High Points:The three-wheeler has been launched at Rs. 1.74 Lakh (ex-Maharashtra):
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-23piaggio.jpg

Piaggio claims the paintwork features better colour retention and rust prevention:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-24piaggio.jpg

Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-1piaggio.jpg

The look is familiarly Apé:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-3piaggio.jpg

New headlamps:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-2piaggio.jpg

Large sized mud-guard:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-4piaggio.jpg

A closer look at the helical spring with hydraulic telescopic shock absorber suspension:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-5piaggio.jpg

Side profile showcases the increased space:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-6piaggio.jpg

240 mm ground clearance is good, but the side step sits rather high. Won't be easy to use for older people:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-22piaggio.jpg

Fuel tank capacity is 10.5 litres:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-7piaggio.jpg

Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-8piaggio.jpg

More storage space. Note the straps to hold the seat back:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-10piaggio.jpg

The whole rear seat flips forward. This increases storage space:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-11piaggio.jpg

A look at the 436cc diesel engine:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-9piaggio.jpg

Driver's seat and backrest are wide + padded:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-13piaggio.jpg

Spare wheel under the driver's seat:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-14piaggio.jpg

Overview of the basic dashboard:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-16piaggio.jpg

Piaggio claims the clutch has been developed for longevity and reduces driver fatigue:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-17piaggio.jpg

Switchgear on the handlebar:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-21piaggio.jpg

Analogue speedometer, fuel gauge and odometer. Note the miles per hour marking on the speedo:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-18piaggio.jpg

More switchgear on the dashboard (wiper & lights):
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-19piaggio.jpg

Lockable storage space for the driver:
Piaggio Apé Xtra DLX launched @ Rs. 1.74 Lakh-20piaggio.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Commercial Vehicles in India Section. Thanks for sharing!

Why does a 3 wheeler cost almost as much as a Nano which is a proper 4 wheeler with doors, AC, Power steering, etc.?

Lovely report, Tushar! Always enjoy a close look at such vehicles.

For those interested in rickshaws, here are two awesome threads with loads of info:

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj_5004 (Post 3669914)
Why does a 3 wheeler cost almost as much as a Nano which is a proper 4 wheeler with doors, AC, Power steering, etc.?

My uninformed guess is that demand will anyway be limited due to a cap on new rickshaw licences. Thus, it's not like Bajaj, Piaggio etc. can sell all the rickshaws they can build.

Also, since nearly all rickshaws are revenue generators, they can get away with the steep pricing. Similar to how diesel engines usually cost a lakh more in passenger cars, but actually aren't that much more expensive to make.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3670398)
My uninformed guess is that demand will anyway be limited due to a cap on new rickshaw licences. Thus, it's not like Bajaj, Piaggio etc. can sell all the rickshaws they can build

I believe in tier two or three cities, a permit really doesn't matter :) And its in these tier cities the Apé rules! I have not found many Apés even on the outskirts of Bangalore but are a plenty in my home town in Kerala.

I have seen people vouching on the Apé when it comes to durability and reliability even though spares and service is on the higher side when compared to a Bajaj product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tushar (Post 3669475)
Piaggio has launched the Apé Xtra DLX in India at a price of Rs 1.74 Lakhs (ex-Maharashtra).

Would be really interested to know the manufacturer rated seating capacity.

I see these ferrying 10-15 ppl on average. I always used to wonder how these 10 seaters get past CMVR with non existant safety features for passenger. Seeing it in an 'unaltered form', now that doubt has been laid to rest.:D

Wide driver seat helps accommodate 3, sometimes 4. Then theres the section right behind the driver - 3 there, 4 on the seat, 4 at the back on another bench - seen as storage space/loading bay in the pics.