Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 11:42   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: April 2015: ABS compulsory for commercial vehicles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
ABS does not increase the brake bite but rather causes START+STOP action of the brake as continuous braking causes the vehicle to skid due to locking of wheels. Infact, the stopping distance will increase by a small margin but reduce the "sway" of the braking vehicle. Check out the Swifts with ABS and you will mostly find scratches on the front bumper. My bro has been a victim many times.
I believe the ABS Swift's braking niggles especially at low speeds, have been brought up on several occasions?
I am well aware of the workings of an ABS system. BUT drivers are more comfortable flooring the brakes in a car equipped with ABS than one without.
So when I brake in my car, the guy behind takes .6s to react, another few milliseconds (let's say .1-.2s) to balance his push on the brake pedal so as not to skid, PLUS considering the fact that most of these cars are the ones with smaller discs in front and drums in the rear, That equates to me being rear-ended

At speeds between 100-120kmph, that .6 to .7 second reaction time, coupled with weaker brakes (in effect), adds about 30-40ft of distance.

Oh and don't lecture me about pumping the brakes. Yes I do that in my old car but how many of us "excellent" drivers are out there? Perhaps 5%?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th May 2013 at 11:49.
Old 18th May 2013, 12:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

At speeds between 100-120kmph, that .6 to .7 second reaction time, coupled with weaker brakes (in effect), adds about 30-40ft of distance.

Oh and don't lecture me about pumping the brakes. Yes I do that in my old car but how many of us "excellent" drivers are out there? Perhaps 5%?
The average local transport bus or state transport bus and local lorry is full of sharp rusty edges.
New safety rules, ABS notwithstanding, the chances are if one of these buses or lorries bangs into one, one is more likely to die of blood poisoning than in any other way!
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 12:06   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The average local transport bus or state transport bus and local lorry is full of sharp rusty edges.
New safety rules, ABS notwithstanding, the chances are if one of these buses or lorries bangs into one, one is more likely to die of blood poisoning than in any other way!
Hahahaha! Buses and Lorries are just a nightmare on so many different levels :P I'm infact doing a write-up on them and the small little improvements the government can make that would go a long way. Didn't find much on the forum.
Old 18th May 2013, 12:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move. And it will be great if the government can extend this regulation to cover all new vehicles sold in the country.
Old 18th May 2013, 13:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I believe the ABS Swift's braking niggles especially at low speeds, have been brought up on several occasions?
I am well aware of the workings of an ABS system. BUT drivers are more comfortable flooring the brakes in a car equipped with ABS than one without.
So when I brake in my car, the guy behind takes .6s to react, another few milliseconds (let's say .1-.2s) to balance his push on the brake pedal so as not to skid, PLUS considering the fact that most of these cars are the ones with smaller discs in front and drums in the rear, That equates to me being rear-ended

So you mean to say that people buying ABS enabled vehicles just slam the brakes because they know that the system will be activated?
Absurd I must say!
Consider an average Joe who doesn't care how the ABS functions or not will just not floor the brakes. He will carefully increase the pressure according to the situation. Also, take into consideration that when many travel with families, we just don't slam the brakes, do we!
Coming back to the point, any CV which is loaded to the brim with either people or goods will in his rightful mind be careful of slamming the brakes just because he has ABS.
And buddy, check if I had mentioned ANYTHING about pumping brakes.
Edit: Looks like you got on someone's nerves!

Last edited by turbospooler : 18th May 2013 at 14:01.
Old 18th May 2013, 18:49   #36

A welcome move indeed what with trucks getting powerful day by day. I see a lot of dumpers loaded running with rocks or debri at triple digit speeds with no lane discipline.
Driver education should also be considered while renewing the permits or on a periodic basis.
Old 19th May 2013, 00:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No maturity thing here.
The CV sector has fewer number of players who do not want ABS. Many players already have this in their world products.
.....Unfortunately, their hold on the govt is too strong for comfort, and we consumers suffer.
There is no reason why CV manufacturers are behind Govt. for not implemnenting ABS. This is not a certification or regulation where in they don't get anything for the investment they make to get / pass certification/ regulation.
In case the ABS is made mandatory even before 10 years, the same will be passed on to customer like what is to happen now.

For your info, there are many other regulation where Govt. is pushing these companies. Newly launched OBDII, JNnurmII are some of the examples.
Old 19th May 2013, 09:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Step in the right direction.
My question : How does ABS react on bald tyres?
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 10:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Man that's crazy! Not implementing it in the Passenger/LCV sector. Already we know HOW OVERLOADED are our Trucks. Almost all of the CV carry double the amount of loaded for what they are certified/made for. Already the brakes of those vehicles become incompetent at that massive overload, and introducing ABS will make the situation worse! First, they should stop overloading, and how will ABS be useful on these vehicles which fail to even brake in time (when overloaded), forget their wheels slipping! This might appear offensive, but this is what we are here for sharing our views and correcting them.
mercedised is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 11:52   #40
BHPian

No amount of added safety features can change the driver's behaviour. A drunk driver will still crash and cause fatalities with or without ABS. A speeding brainless driver will still meet his fate (and probably introduce others to their fate) with or without ABS. When disc brakes were introduced on motorcycles, they started tailgating even more closer because they were 'confident' their discs would stop them in time. I'm sure ABS will also add such 'confidence' to drivers to drive even more horribly than they currently do.

Also, if manufacturers give an "ABS Off" button like on motorcycles, then this will be another dead addon.

And, adding safety to the "vehicle" will do nothing to save fellow road users, the most vulnerable being pedestrians, from a bad or rogue driver. In fact, this will probably save the stupid driver so he can wreak more havoc in the future.

The government has got all its priorities wrong.

Last edited by hellmet : 19th May 2013 at 11:53.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 13:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The first thing that should happen before all this is SENSITIZE these guys towards road discipline. ...
The ratio of PC to CV(M&HCV) sales in India is 1:0.1 - with this, why should we blame only CV drivers for rash driving, driving without rules / discipline, always drive drunken etc etc. Is there any accident statistics to blame CV drivers are ranking top in causing accidents. Agreed that, if any major accident, the number of life's lost is more, but how many incidents are happening like that?

Responsibility is with every one and not only with CV drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
In my last visit to Bangkok my bus driver was driving quite fast but stuck to the extreme left lane on their highway. Even when he has to overtake the truck ahead of him he gave the signal, came on the next track momentarily and then dived back into the left most lane.
Even this is not the write way of driving. Left lane is for slow moving vehicles and he is driving in the wrong lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
.... Already we know HOW OVERLOADED are our Trucks. Almost all of the CV carry double the amount of loaded for what they are certified/made for.....
This is a common myth that all CV's are over loaded. Now a days, there are strong checks at every check post to ensure they are not over loaded. Infact weigh bridges are in most state entry check post. The practical situation in high way is you can never over load a truck to twice of its pay load and reach say Mumbai from Chennai.
Old 19th May 2013, 14:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
This is a common myth that all CV's are over loaded. Now a days, there are strong checks at every check post to ensure they are not over loaded. Infact weigh bridges are in most state entry check post. The practical situation in high way is you can never over load a truck to twice of its pay load and reach say Mumbai from Chennai.
Well! That might be the case, when I talk to truck drivers they usually say that the trucks usually carry twice the weight they are made for. May be you're right.
Old 19th May 2013, 14:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Well! That might be the case, when I talk to truck drivers they usually say that the trucks usually carry twice the weight they are made for. May be you're right.
This is still a practice, in Intra state transport but even this is getting regularized.
Old 19th May 2013, 22:46   #44
BHPian

Only ABS ? I personally feel that ABS+Airbags must be mandatory for all cars. In other countries (Especially in US), this is a must have feature wherein, a company cannot sell cars without this ! But yes, we can still argue that their infra structure is good and most of them being freeways and we do live in a country which lacks basic infra ! Still ABS is a basic must have feature.
Old 20th May 2013, 00:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravinkenator View Post
Only ABS ? I personally feel that ABS+Airbags must be mandatory for all cars. In other countries (Especially in US), this is a must have feature wherein, a company cannot sell cars without this ! But yes, we can still argue that their infra structure is good and most of them being freeways and we do live in a country which lacks basic infra ! Still ABS is a basic must have feature.
The fact we have dangerous roads makes ABS the more important, The argument is not the other way around : )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks