Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2013, 11:24   #46
BHPian

Re: My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Good Review Amalji. The vehicle is good too.

Now what I don't understand is, when this product is available why Tata is opposing the Bajaj's new four wheeler..? They can market Iris and gain decent volumes.
RE 60 is a plastic/ Fiber bodied vehicle with a 200 cc engine which can do over 70 kmph. If such a vehicle masquerades as a car, it may not be in the best interest of the society as a whole as many people will start buying it and start using it as personal transport which may pose a safety issue on highways. It is therefore being recommended by many that it may be registered as a transport vehicle only within the confines of the city.

IRIS is a purpose built people carrier. Tata sells the IRIS the way it is and the way it is intended to be rather than making a vehicle and then crying all the way upto heavens for a policy to be released.

Assume that a manufacturer has a 4 meter sedan and then govt decrees that all vehicles in that class will have a reduced excise duty, will it look fair to the others?

Slightly OT If you remember, there was a Reva which waited and waited for an electric vehicle policy and finally sold off to M&M. This govt cannot formulate a decent policy for electrics and hybrids which is the future but then they seem to be interested in retrograde steps like a 'Quadricycle' policy just because a single manufacturer happened to have a vehicle ready and is lobbying hard.
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:04   #47
BHPian

AUTO TAXI aka TATA Magic IRIS is selling like hot cakes in Kerala. Mahindra Gio has virtually disappeared from the roads.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-914133_10151371544526046_1463360870_o.jpg  

Old 1st November 2013, 10:04   #48
BHPian

Which CV is this? tata?

Saw this vehicle on the roads in Delhi. Not sure what exactly this was.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-image972585765.jpg  

My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-image1345769151.jpg  

My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-image3002096883.jpg  

My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-image1140225080.jpg  

duke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 10:10   #49
BHPian

Re: Which CV is this? tata?

It is a Tata MaGic IRIS. It has been on sale for a few years now Ex-Showroom 1.95L. I was surprised to see a fair few of these where I live with Private Number plates. Looking at the pictures above it seems they are testing the CNG version of this vehicle. More details on the link below:

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...-ace-zip/8443/

My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-magicirisacezip_1_560x420.jpg

There is also a Pick Up version called the Tata Ace Zip Ex-Showroom 1.9 L Approx

My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-2011tataacezipminipickup1.jpg

Last edited by amrisharm : 1st November 2013 at 10:20.
amrisharm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 10:23   #50
BHPian

Tata IRIS.

Plenty on Kerala roads.

Here is a review thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...impressed.html
Old 1st November 2013, 12:32   #51
BHPian

Since this is in delhi. This must be the CNG version which must have come up recently.

I think the second pic shows a CNG nozzle.

It is not surprising that duke has not seen this till now since rest of India has diesel versions for some time now.
figo_mba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 16:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Since this is in delhi. This must be the CNG version which must have come up recently. I think the second pic shows a CNG nozzle. It is not surprising that duke has not seen this till now since rest of India has diesel versions for some time now.

Oh yes! And there is a BIG CNG sticker on the windshield too! Thank you so much for being observant :-)
Old 1st November 2013, 17:43   #53
BHPian

During my last visit to Kerala, I saw many Tata Iris there. But I could not get a chance to experience a ride.

On a lighter note, Iris is known as "Vellimoonga" (in Malayalam) Barn Owl. No offense to those who own an Iris.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-barn-owl.jpg  

MaxTorque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 22:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
During my last visit to Kerala, I saw many Tata Iris there.
On a lighter note, Iris is known as "Vellimoonga" (in Malayalam) Barn Owl. No offense to those who own an Iris.
Like XUV 500 is inspired by Cheetah, Tata Iris might have got inspiration from Owl.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 19:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Look what I found!

A privately registered 'modded' Iris

Image Courtesy: Olx
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-1383750754_563804595_5tatamagicirismodifiedvehicles.jpg  

My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-1383750754_563804595_2picturesoftatamagicirismodified.jpg  

My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-1383750754_563804595_6tatamagicirismodifiedkerala.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 22:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I saw this one near Alwaye last week but could not click a picture.

I too, got to travel in such an auto taxi. What is noticeable different than an Auto Rickshaw is that the drivers are outright very friendly and charges only approved fare and hands over business cards to fares. This is because they are trying hard to establish because the auto Rickshaw drivers are not friendly with them. True they are slowly and steadily getting foot-space in auto stands. I saw Magic Irises sharing the same Que at a place named Kaduthuruthi.

I too got a Business card from the driver.
My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-magic4.jpg
Now coming to the vehicle itself, it has moulded roof and comfortable seats apart from excellent headlamps. There is a tubular member below the dashboard, provided as an impact protection, just like the one seen behind the front seats of a Nano.
There is ample scope to build on the body as sold. Even quarter glasses can be provided to replace the vinyl rain guards.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-magic-2.jpg  

My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-agic-3.jpg  

My 1st Ride in a Tata Magic Iris Taxi. Impressed :)-magic-1.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th November 2013 at 22:54.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 00:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5387082.ece

Looks like the Magic Iris, aka Auto taxis are getting popular in Kerala, but this women owner operators are struggling to pay the loan. We need to support to make this initiative a success.
teamveevee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 20:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

I was searching for a image which I shot a weekback near my home in native. That was a privately owned Magic Iris from KL. Looks like KL has given a very warm welcome to Iris. Once again Tata was able squeeze a new prodcut below a well established product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks