Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2016, 07:18   #286
BHPian

Re: TATA Motors Buses (Standard Versions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Can't comment on the top speed and mileage for now since this model is relatively new compared to 160HP Viking.
There are different wheel base options available, hence seating capacity can be matched to 222 Viking if the right option is selected.
Please contact your nearest dealer, there was some introductory offer (very good deals) on this model.
Prakash has been building bodies on 1512 and 1618, so 1515 wouldn't be a problem (probably they would have built on this chassis by now).
Also the suspension mentioned in the broucher is wevler for front and rear. Can it be converted to air?
Old 22nd July 2016, 08:13   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
Also the suspension mentioned in the broucher is wevler for front and rear. Can it be converted to air?
Yes, you can fit air suspension, not sure whether factory fit option is available on this yet, but you can get it done. There are couple of REC built sleepers being operated by TAT that's with air suspension, so shouldn't be an issue.
Photo courtesy: Respective Owners
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Motors Buses (Standard Versions)-13240110_1310504378965405_1083200639804997573_n.jpg  

TATA Motors Buses (Standard Versions)-13413597_1015746721879195_8881390032599540553_n.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2016, 17:50   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Can 1515TC with engine driven AC run for intercity ops
Usually 160 HP and below with engine driven AC are used in contract carriages and staff transport only where top speed may not be as important as the regular intercity ops.

Operators like ABT and ARC use 180 HP and above 'ALL Vikings' for the regular highway operations as top speed is important to them. I have traveled in an ABT 180 HP ALL which was comfortably cruising at 100 kmph between Chennai and Bangalore which had engine driven AC.

Roughly speaking, the AC saps the engine of 30 - 35 HP which would mean that the vehicle in this case would be left with just 120 HP for the running.With that power, the vehicle with full load may take eons to accelerate upto the 'socially acceptable' highway speed of 80 KMPH.

Quote:
The bus (chassis) mentioned on the first post of this thread has been replaced by a new LPO 1515C TATA.
Being a new model from TATA, need to wait and see how good/bad the performance is.
For now, few pictures from Chassis to body building to final complete bus.
Great! so Dr Madhu's faith in Tata Buses continues despite the earlier niggles. Good to see TML giving tough competition to ALL in its bastions. This thread has suddenly become interesting, thanks to Vikram.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2016 at 15:35. Reason: Merging consecutive posts...
Old 23rd July 2016, 07:39   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
Operators like ABT and ARC use 180 HP and above 'ALL Vikings' for the regular highway operations as top speed is important to them. I have traveled in an ABT 180 HP ALL which was comfortably cruising at 100 kmph between Chennai and Bangalore which had engine driven AC.
ABT and ARC had used 205hp AL 12M BS-2 buses for their intercity operations, before replacing them with 12M 225hp BS-3, AFAIK.
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:31   #290
BHPian

Dear Vikram

Since you know quite a lot about the Private buses operated in TN, i have a doubt which you may be able to clarify. What happens to the buses which are sold after the three-four year of usage? Why is it that the operators do not prefer to 'recondition' the engine and other aggregates and use it for another term?.

My doubt is stemming from the fact that i do not see many of these fancy bodied buses in intra city short operations which is where i expect the used buses to end up. Or is it that the bodies are redone by the new set of users to more utilitarian types?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
ABT and ARC had used 205hp AL 12M BS-2 buses for their intercity operations, before replacing them with 12M 225hp BS-3, AFAIK.
My reference was to 2006/2007 period when ABT had just started operations. I guess 180 was what was available then and not the 205. Pls correct me if i am wrong as even i would like to get it clarified.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2016 at 15:36. Reason: Merging consecutive posts, please see the FAQ on how to "Multi-Quote"...
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:54   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Vikram

What happens to the buses which are sold after the three-four year of usage? Why is it that the operators do not prefer to 'recondition' the engine and other aggregates and use it for another term?
What I have seen in the Bangalore region is that the busses that were registered under the All India Tourist Omni Bus rules, after their 6 year permit period, when the permit expires are re-registered as Contract Carriages and ply as Omni busses to factories and schools etc.

There have been a lot of changes nowadays. VRL I have noticed, registers all its intra-Karnataka run busses as Contract Carriages and the Inter-state ones as AITOB. The Contract Carriage taxes are much lesser and they have lesser rules to follow with respect to the bus body

Stage-Carriage permits are so costly nowadays that its a no-brainer for a Stage-Carriage operator to use a new bus for that purpose. The body of a Stage-Carriage is also completely different to that of a AITOB and the chassis wheelbase is also different

There are busses in Kerala that operate on a 12M chassis but with Stage Carriage permit

Overall, its very confusing or things have become very open where anybody can buy any chassis and body and run for any kind of operation
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 19:29   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Vikram

Since you know quite a lot about the Private buses operated in TN, i have a doubt which you may be able to clarify. What happens to the buses which are sold after the three-four year of usage? Why is it that the operators do not prefer to 'recondition' the engine and other aggregates and use it for another term?.

My doubt is stemming from the fact that i do not see many of these fancy bodied buses in intra city short operations which is where i expect the used buses to end up. Or is it that the bodies are redone by the new set of users to more utilitarian types?.
In most cases, those used buses are mostly sold to Educational Institutions. Some end up being staff buses.
Also, there are few operators who opt for second hand buses to keep the purchase costs low (happens in small towns/villages where revenue is less).
Old 27th July 2016, 15:28   #293
BHPian

Quote:
In most cases, those used buses are mostly sold to Educational Institutions. Some end up being staff buses.
Also, there are few operators who opt for second hand buses to keep the purchase costs low (happens in small towns/villages where revenue is less).
Tirunelveli city has more old city buses that were purchased from Coimbatore/Trichy based operators. But, havent seen many TMLs being purchased as second hand buses for operating in such stage carrier routes.

Do you have any information on such second hand TML buses running in other areas as stage carriers?
Old 27th July 2016, 20:07   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Tirunelveli city has more old city buses that were purchased from Coimbatore/Trichy based operators. But, havent seen many TMLs being purchased as second hand buses for operating in such stage carrier routes.

Do you have any information on such second hand TML buses running in other areas as stage carriers?
I assumed his query was more of generic one rather being specific to any manufacturer.
OTOH, I don't have any information on where the used buses exactly end up.
Old 3rd August 2016, 21:10   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you can fit air suspension, not sure whether factory fit option is available on this yet, but you can get it done. There are couple of REC built sleepers being operated by TAT that's with air suspension, so shouldn't be an issue.
Photo courtesy: Respective Owners
You can always go for retro fitment, but keep in mind that the chassis which doesn't come with OE air suspension will have a smaller capacity air compressor and when you tend to fit air suspension in both axles, the load on air compressor increases multi fold times and may reduces the life of air compressor, DDU etc. Instead if required change a higher capacity air compressor as well.
This is only a suggestion and not necessarily every one are following.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 18:29   #296
Senior - BHPian

TATA wins orders for over 5,000 BUSES!

Bus sales was one of Tata commercial divisions Achilles heel, but they seem to be making progress here. Tata Motors have bagged big orders from various State transport organisations. If they deliver on promises and build a good rapport with the State institutions + Increased visibility of their buses will hold Tata in good stead going into the future.

Quote:
MUMBAI, SEPT 6:
Tata Motors, the country’s largest commercial vehicles manufacturer, has won orders for more than 5,000 buses from 25 state and city transport undertakings in the country. This is more than 80 per cent rise in order book position for Tata Motors compared with last year.

Ravi Pisharody, Executive Director, Commercial Vehicle Business Unit, Tata Motors, said: “With these orders, we at Tata Motors take great pride in partnering with various STUs in delivering world-class solutions and to create and maintain a sustainable mass public transportation system. We are encouraged by the adoption of latest technologies by these STUs, for fleet modernisation, lower total operating costs and expanding user base & ridership.”

“We welcome the collaborative approach employed by these STUs in bettering end user needs, which will further help boost our efforts towards innovations in the public transport space,” he added.

The big surge in state transport undertakings (STUs) buying across is being witnessed after a gap of nearly four years, indicating the renewed focus of various state governments and city transport providers on public transport, the company said in a statement.

The orders from various STUs and city transport providers represent a noticeable shift towards adopting new technology, safety, comfort features and connected IT-enabled buses. Tata Motors will also support these STUs to make certain the technology benefits are rapidly realised.

Over 1,500 of the ordered buses will be fully-built and integrated with many features at Tata Motors’ manufacturing facility at Tata Marcopolo (Dharwad and Lucknow) and ACGL Goa.

Sandeep Kumar, Business Head (Commercial Vehicles–Passenger), Tata Motors Ltd, said: “Early investments in passenger transportation capabilities and technologies enable us at Tata Motors to play a leading role in providing fully integrated transport solutions, in one of the world’s largest bus markets. With an extensive portfolio, we are geared up to provide a ‘Win-Win’ for both the operators and commuters of today and tomorrow. Having said that, we have nearly doubled our order book in FY16-17 already and are adequately prepared to cater to the current and future demand coming in for our buses.”

Tata Motors has also developed electric hybrid buses and articulated buses to meet the future transport needs for ‘Envisaged Smart Cities’, both of which will soon be seen on Indian roads.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle9076308.ece
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 12:12   #297
BHPian

First review of LPO 1515

Hi everybody. It has been about 3 months and 25000km since the vehicle has been online replacing its older sibling the LPO 1512.

To come to the point directly – as an operator on a high demand route requiring good performance at a frugal cost the LPO 1512 is my clear favorite compared to its newer compatriot.

All parameters and functioning between the two vehicles are the same except for the pickup and Mileage. Though claims of a higher torque and power are on paper we are not realizing that on the ground. I personally drove behind the vehicle from Coimbatore to Pollachi and could perceptibly see that the vehicle was struggling on gradients. Down shifting of gears is necessary and that results in increased fuel wastage. Not sure what is happening to the extra power and torque.However we did not want to give a negative review on early performance and hence decided to wait until first service which we routinely perform on all our vehicles at 20000km.

Even after that we found the fuel consumption was on the higher side. On an average the 1515 consumed 10 lites of diesel more than the 1512 for a daily run of 340km.

Tata CSM Mr Rajaganesh was informed of this and he promptly sent Mr Karthik service personnel from Tata. However we are still unable to decipher what exactly is wrong with the vehicle and why its mileage and performance is below standards set by the earlier 1512.

Hoping the problem will be identified and sorted out soon. Will keep you posted.

Till then …Happy motoring
madhuperiasamy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 14:53   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuperiasamy View Post
First review of LPO 1515

Even after that we found the fuel consumption was on the higher side. On an average the 1515 consumed 10 lites of diesel more than the 1512 for a daily run of 340km.
How does this compare with AL 160 HP buses running in the same route and also how is the reliability of 1515 ? has it been off the road for any reason (big or small) so far?
Old 20th March 2017, 01:14   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuperiasamy View Post
First review of LPO 1515

To come to the point directly – as an operator on a high demand route requiring good performance at a frugal cost the LPO 1512 is my clear favorite compared to its newer compatriot.

All parameters and functioning between the two vehicles are the same except for the pickup and Mileage. Though claims of a higher torque and power are on paper we are not realizing that on the ground. I personally drove behind the vehicle from Coimbatore to Pollachi and could perceptibly see that the vehicle was struggling on gradients. Down shifting of gears is necessary and that results in increased fuel wastage. Not sure what is happening to the extra power and torque...

... However we are still unable to decipher what exactly is wrong with the vehicle and why its mileage and performance is below standards set by the earlier 1512.

Hoping the problem will be identified and sorted out soon. Will keep you posted.

Till then …Happy motoring
Have you been able to figure out what went wrong? Or has the performance improved since this post?
Old 21st March 2017, 18:37   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
I...
The point i am trying to make is, a normal 12m or 11m or even 9m chassis is getting twisted, and cracked on these roads. so may be only a 10 wheeler (modified into 8 wheeler) is the only solution. (experts may laugh at their own peril). Hasnt any one seen a normal loaded (not over loaded, mind you) 10 wheeler whizzing pass multiple speed breakers, or a stretch of bad road, where a normal or over loaded 6 wheeler or say a scorpio or a safari, is twisting and turning to avoid the craters.

As Ashley Sir, rightly pointed out, a non reactive suspension, without load is a terrible thing, but the same is "BOON" in a bad roads. You travel very faster, save fuel, no cracked chassis.

Regarding spped, they dont need it. 40- 50 km / hr is great. normal buses do 10- 20km / hr. With respect to tyre cost, the buses with radials suffers the most, as their side walls get damaged. no replacement for cuts sustained by the crater's side. or stones etc. Hundreds of families have been destroyed, due to these roads. (meaning Bus operaters, who had put lakhs on road).

...I had asked the chief field officer of ASL about converting these 10 wheel truck chassis into buses, for exactly the same reasons. Only because of the insurance and rto permission, i could not do it.

I had seen Germans, who are among the most widely traveled citizens of this earth, on all terrains. Spoken to couple of the tour operators in germany , including the famous red bus tours, they chose the 10 wheel, 6x2 for their travels over continentals, including india, africa, north and south america and australia. Again, all these buses were loaded, and had normal, leaf spring and non reactive suspension, only. The very basics. As they cannot afford to carry or change air suspensions in the bush !

I can understand my friends and fellow brethren, from South and North and Western India, getting amused, but once they see the state of the roads (NH & SH), they will understand why that poor fellow, decided to take, such a great risk.
Sir, this is one of the most illuminating post I've read in this forum while going through the thread last night. The Germans using them for safaris is a revelation indeed. Are we still having these buses plying in the North Bengal region? Also, why does the the RTO not legalise these vehicles if proper changes are made? Correct me if I am wrong, but the principal difference between a bus and a truck chassis would be the final drive and the suspension. I'd be grateful if ypu kindly shed some light on the modifications, if any. If the same are carried out, why can't someone build a bus like that, esp. when the Germans vouch for it's efficacy? It will be a boon in MP/CG/JH areas as well where the road networks aren't quite the best.

Regards,
Fighterace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks