Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 20:39   #226
BHPian

It's been a long time since the last update on the TATA LPO 1512 s

All 3 vehicles have been running well and the first one has crossed 12 months (1,40,000km) while the other 2 shall do so in January ( 1,30,000 and 1,00,000 kms) . Support from Tata has been up to the mark till now.

Mileage averages around 3.5 kmpl (ULW 10.6 tonnes and laden weight could easily cross 18 tonnes) running as a stage carrier with frequent stops, heavy traffic and competitive driving conditions. The rural vehicles average around 4.2kmpl.

The only major issues faced till now has been the relatively early wear out of the wheel drums (though heavier drums have been provided). This has been allegedly due to the relatively tougher brake shoes(TVS Girling). Recommended to change it to Rane (lasts lesser but proportionately cheaper).

The other issue that operators would find challenging is the disproportionately high cost of spares associated with the braking system (drums, brake shoes etc). For example the automatic slack adjusters cost about 9000Rs per piece. Tata could do something about that.* I would be happy if Tata just gave me the old generation brakes. No point shoving these NGT brakes down my throat and then asking me to pay through my nose.

Oil thickening still happens even with the so called new recipe engines. We are routinely forced to do an oil change well before recommended intervals for both city and moffusil operations.
Old 30th November 2013, 20:53   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA Motors Buses (Standard Versions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuperiasamy View Post

The only major issues faced till now has been the relatively early wear out of the wheel drums (though heavier drums have been provided). This has been allegedly due to the relatively tougher brake shoes(TVS Girling). Recommended to change it to Rane (lasts lesser but proportionately cheaper).

Oil thickening still happens even with the so called new recipe engines. We are routinely forced to do an oil change well before recommended intervals for both city and moffusil operations.
Are your 1512c the EX variants. I guess not.

I think did address many, if not all, of the issues with the brakes on the EX variants, along with a few other issues.
Old 30th November 2013, 21:02   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

Are your 1512c the EX variants.

I think did address many, if not all, of the issues with the brakes on the EX variants, along with a few other issues.
Yes if Tata has just started calling them so. They were one of the first vehicles with the modified pistons and nozzles with extended oil change intervals.

I am not sure what changes have been made with regard to the brakes in the EX variants. Could you please detail them?
Old 30th November 2013, 21:29   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today i was riding the bike near poy (1730 Hrs) when Madhus overtook me. The air-horn was surprisingly very sedate; not ear piercing like others.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 21:34   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Are your 1512c the EX variants. I guess not.

Would be helpful if you can let us know when exactly TML started providing the so called EX series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Today i was riding the bike near poy (1730 Hrs) when Madhus overtook me. The air-horn was surprisingly very sedate; not ear piercing like others.
Was it the same pedal to metal style or sedate ?

Last edited by v1kram : 30th November 2013 at 21:35.
Old 30th November 2013, 21:41   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Was it the same pedal to metal style or sedate ?
It was a sedate 50-55 kmph when climbing the slope before AE body shop(towards the town).
Old 30th November 2013, 21:52   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would be helpful if you can let us know when exactly TML started providing the so called EX series.
I am not exactly sure. But I think it was some time around March/April may be.
Old 30th November 2013, 22:04   #233
BHPian

Quote:
I am not exactly sure. But I think it was some time around March/April may be.
If it's March/April time frame then it's not EX series since all the three chassis were procured in 2012 (one is couple of months older than other two).

But the first chassis underwent a recall for change of piston, rings etc (to solve the oil thickening issue, oil change interval) while the other two chassis didn't go through (changes done in the factory itself).
Old 30th November 2013, 22:18   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it's March/April time frame then it's not EX series since all the three chassis were procured in 2012 (one is couple of months older than other two).

But the first chassis underwent a recall for change of piston, rings etc (to solve the oil thickening issue, oil change interval) while the other two chassis didn't go through (changes done in the factory itself).
Changing of pistons and piston rings were probably part of the changes in the 1512EX. Some of the other changes I think were a change in the driving postion and may be use of wider/thicker brake shoes to improve their life.
Old 1st December 2013, 13:19   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Changing of pistons and piston rings were probably part of the changes in the 1512EX.
Yes, they were a part of EX series modifications, but looks like the oil thickening issue still persists.

Quote:
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:06   #236
Senior - BHPian

Tata called the same chassis as QFD improvement chassis / KMPL Special in some parts of west and north. Changes claimed being lowered cowl, G-600 OD gear box, new brakes, rubber suspension and new RAR. Out of this first one is completely new and others were available in some way or other but brought under single basket.
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:13   #237

Can TATA come out with a VOLVO beater ?

I have often wondered, can TATA ever come out with a bus that can give VOLVO a run for their money? I have been a profound user of buses for overnight journeys. Most of them have been VOLVO's and are mighty impressed with them. Then there is this question that comes to my mind, TATA a market leader in trucks, can they ever replicate their success in the bus segment and come out with world class products like the ones VOLVO has ? What is it that they have to do to get it right? What are my fellow tbhpians take on it ?
Old 16th December 2013, 10:07   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulo View Post
TATA a market leader in trucks, can they ever replicate their success in the bus segment and come out with world class products like the ones VOLVO has ? What is it that they have to do to get it right? What are my fellow tbhpians take on it ?
Right now the availability of spares for even their largest selling 1512 LPO is highly unreliable. Though the vehicle itself is good the biggest problem I am now facing is the delay in obtaining spares at any of the major authorised workshops itself.
The most important thing TATA needs to do right now is to ramp up the support services for their best selling product in Tamil Nadu.

That is where AL beats TML hands down in Tamil Nadu. We can come to the Volvos later.
Old 19th December 2013, 14:43   #239
BHPian

Quick question to the bus owners here:
Do you face problems of water leakage from the roof and the sides of the buses? Is there some potential for a waterproofing professional to concentrate on this sector of waterproofing buses?
Asking for a relative who believes that he is addressing a need for the bus owners for excellent waterproofing!
Thanks in advance,
With best regards.
Old 19th December 2013, 15:35   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Quick question to the bus owners here:
Do you face problems of water leakage from the roof and the sides of the buses? Is there some potential for a waterproofing professional to concentrate on this sector of waterproofing buses?
Asking for a relative who believes that he is addressing a need for the bus owners for excellent waterproofing!
Thanks in advance,
With best regards.
Mostly the leakage will be from the roof part and the window panels in old buses.
Better to check with the body builders to know the system they adopt, will let you know if i can get some information on it.
v1kram is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks