Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 13:30   #1

help..engine whine!!!

hello,
I just got myself a pre-owned 2008 mercedes 220 cdi. It was previously owned by mercedes benz. I assume it was being used by them as a test car and it didnt come with an audio system. I checked with shaman auto (i bought the car from them) about installing the OEM audio unit for me. They said they wont be able to because the car didnt come with any internal wiring for the audio system. I then had to get a system installed from outside (final touch, juhu, mumbai) kenwood 8034 BT with a mapmy india navi box , focal amp, focal speakers and tweeters The sound is quite nice, the gps and tel works great except for a very irritating problem. I hear the engine whine through the speakers and it really bothers me, even switching off the system doesnt help, as i think the amp stays on till the ignition is switched off. The guys who installed it for me changed a few cables etc but the noise still persists.
Someone please help me with a solution. Its bothering me so much that I think I should remove the whole set up and go back to driving without music. I dont need loud music. I mostly listen to jazz in low volume. Can i remove the amp and power the speakers from the head unit directly? Can u also suggest a guy in mumbai who can fix this for me? thanxx in advance.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Check if your focals are fake.
2. If they're not, use good quality (finolex/l&t/havells) 4 gauge for ground and power wires.
3. Try grounding to a different place.
4. Seperate the RCA and the power cables; i.e. run them from different sides of the car.
5. Use good quality (monster for example) RCAs.

These should solve your problem. You may contact bass&trouble (Ajay), a member here and he would help you fixing this.
Old 14th June 2010, 23:17   #3
BHPian

Same here

I am also facing similar problem in my baleno. I have tried changing the wires, checking the earthing, but in vain. Every mechanic i have visited says that it is due to the head unit which i do not agree to. If u find a solution to your problem do let me know.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
\ Every mechanic i have visited says that it is due to the head unit which i do not agree to. If u find a solution to your problem do let me know.
This is quite a possibility when you use a local, unbranded HU.. Rare to find something like this with a branded one. In case you're using a branded HU, go for the above remedies.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:19   #5
BANNED

There are 2 problems, I've faced the same trouble in my M-800 and My DICOR

1) The alternator should be faulty = 2/10 and highly unlikely
2) The Amp is Faulty = 9/10 and highly likely
Old 15th June 2010, 10:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Even I'm facing the same problem in my TCIC SAFARI. The whine starts when the vehicle is at 2,500 rpm and keeps increasing. Sometimes it is shrill sometimes it is softer. It there most prominently in 2nd gear and a little in 3rd gear.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
1. Check if your focals are fake.
2. If they're not, use good quality (finolex/l&t/havells) 4 gauge for ground and power wires.
3. Try grounding to a different place.
4. Seperate the RCA and the power cables; i.e. run them from different sides of the car.
5. Use good quality (monster for example) RCAs.

These should solve your problem. You may contact bass&trouble (Ajay), a member here and he would help you fixing this.
I would suggest the same too. First go to a reputed installer and get the whole thing checked and replace cables if necessary.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I had this issue in my WagonR while using a Pioneer HU powered by a JBL amp. The alternator whine was quite audible even at idle engine speeds and would increase with the RPM.

Following were my DIY troubleshooting and I could finally resolve the problem:

1. Tried playing the speakers directly from the HU - Noise eliminated (Amp is faulty??)
2. Using a Stereo-RCA cable, tried playing my MP3 player through the Amp and the noise was absent ( Amp is not faulty)
3. Having eliminated the AMP now, the options left out were:

RCA pairs running from HU to Amp-

I checked another set of RCA cables and the noise was evident.

The Power cable for the Amp-

Checked and ensured that the RCA and the Power cable were running as far from each other as possible, noise still evident.

Grounding for the Amp-

I ensured that the Amp was grounded with a proper thick wire to the right spot, noise still evident.

Finally-

Checked with Google and other AV forums and just thought I must try the RCA grounding (Groundloop) and it did resolve my problem - 100%.

Though I was unable to find the suspect (more likely the HU as many forums say that a blown out pico fuse in a Pioneer HU causing this whine is a know issue)

It might not be the most accurate solution but nevertheless it was resolved without spending on a new HU

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th June 2010 at 12:24.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

In addition to the other inputs already provided on this thread, I would first try turning down the gain settings in the amp (in case they are set very high).
Old 15th June 2010, 12:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Checked with Google and other AV forums and just thought I must try the RCA grounding (Groundloop) and it did resolve my problem - 100%.
The issue, as you correctly mentioned, is a typical of pioneer HUs and ground loop is the only situation.
Old 17th June 2010, 22:36   #11
BHPian

Tried Everything

Hi,

Mine is a JVC HU. I have tried changing the cables and grounding. I also tried decreasing gain in the amp(JBL). I get the whine even after removing the amp and sub.
Old 18th June 2010, 00:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

As per our experience,when we layout the RCA jack cables hiding them under the dashboard,there are a few electrical system which are active when the car is "ON" in few cars you even have the ECM placed right behind/or side of the steering rack unit,and if a cheaper RCA is used its prone in catching the alternator whining.

Solution:If you feel that this is the case in your car you can run the RCA right from the centre of the car to the amplifier,taking the Power/Remote cables from one end and speaker/component wires from the other end.

Hope this will help members who are living with this whining problem in their car audio.Its not the audio gear which is wrong,but a bad install which makes it happen.

Ramie
Old 25th June 2010, 23:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have been struggling with solving this problem for months with my all Blaupunkt setup.

I cannot call it a design fault, but here's how it works with a Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57. The Sub Out lead (Single Female RCA) from the head unit comes out of the main Power Wiring harness adapter which you plug into the rear of the Head Unit. The ground for the Sub Pre Out of this particular Blaupunkt wiring harness shares the Sub Pre Out Ground with the Ground of the Head Unit. So the moment I connect the Sub Out I get a buzz and alternator whine. It is not there otherwise. I am now going to tap a ground wire from a location in the engine bay and route it into the cabin & check. I pray it works/eliminates the problem.

The Ford Ikon has 2 ground lines from the battery. 1 lead from the battery grounds to a point on the engine & the 2nd Ground from the battery terminates on the left suspension strut mount point. I am going to tap a ground wire from the suspension point and take it inside the cabin and check if it solves the problem. If it does not Venu from TMC Electronics, Bangalore has offered to help solve the problem.
Old 26th June 2010, 00:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Can you please share an image on how you did this. I know what you mean but I would like to see how you have taken a ground off or joined a bare ground wire to a RCA terminal.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks like your amp is not grounded well, and that is causing the problem, not the HU grounding. If it was HU end problem, it would give a whine even while playing without the sub. Make sure the amp ground is connected to ground (car body) at the nearest point - seat or seat-belt bolt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks