Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 17:49   #61

Very tastefully done. Love the way the sub woofers are placed.i have no doubt you will have the nightclub-kinda sound. Enjoy
Old 15th April 2010, 18:01   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Thanks! I had absolutely no clue that Momo makes subwoofer grilles.
There are lot of SubWoofer Grille options. I've attached a few examples. PolkMOMO, Kicker, Audiobahn and even Scosche makes grilles.
Attached Thumbnails
Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-kicker.jpg  

Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-momo.jpg  

Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-audiobahn.jpg  

Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-bazooka.jpg  

Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-scosche.jpg  

Old 15th April 2010, 18:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Metal View Post
First of all, a GREAT install.

I do have a few of questions on the install:

1. Why did you use two 2-channel amps as against one 4 channel amp?
2. Why is the LHS and RHS connected to a different amp as against, Front and Rear. Is this to make the wiring simpler?
3. I didn't notice the sub enclosures are ported. Are they?
4. Did you calculate to get the right enclosure volume or just made sure they fitted in the space in the boot?
5. Why didn't you use components in the rear?
6. How is the connection to both the subs made on the monoblock? In series or in parallel?
7. Are the Subs DVC? If yes, how did you make use of the Voice Coils?

NOOB QUESTION:
Did you not see the need for a capacitor? How do you know when you need one?

Sorry about all the questions. I am very excited to see the setup.

GTO:
A couple of suggestions:
1. Your iPOD read and search will be quicker if you get the iPOD interface cable instead of USB.
2. You could consider some of MOMO grills for your subs. They look much better than the ones you currently have.
1. More Powerful i guess
2. It should be 2 channels for fronts and 2 for the rears rather than right hand side and left hand side.
4. Taking into account it is bass&trouble and navin handling the install, the volume would have been calculated
5. matter of personal choice plus maybe the size factor
3,6,7 : Navin or Bass&Trouble would be the best people for the answer.

If proper wiring of adequate width is used, the capacitor is not required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Some more Q's if you will

* What make are the stock speakers of the Civic?
* How are the stock tweeters and woofers at the front connected to the stock HU? Are the tweeters directly connected to the HU? Is there a xover (I doubt!) ?
* How much of a SQ issue would it have been if the new tweeters were installed in the stock tweeter locations on the dash corners?
* Which surfaces on the doors have been damped? One of them is visible in the snap. Have the inside of the door plastic, and the inside surface of the outer body shell been damped too?
* Where have the xovers been installed?

PS: Ajay has lost weight? Seems to be carrying a lean and hung...err thirsty look !
1. Alpine
2. Since these are compos, they must be having a xover.
3. Is there any stock location? maybe the size of the tweeter has forced them to use a different location
Old 16th April 2010, 10:25   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Why did you use two 2-channel amps as against one 4 channel amp?
2. Why is the LHS and RHS connected to a different amp as against
3. I didn't notice the sub enclosures are ported. Are they?
4. Did you calculate to get the right enclosure volume or just made sure they fitted in the space in the boot?
5. Why didn't you use components in the rear?
6. How is the connection to both the subs made on the monoblock? In series or in parallel?
7. Are the Subs DVC? If yes, how did you make use of the Voice Coils?

How do you know when you need one?
2. You could consider some of MOMO grills for your subs. They look much better than the ones you currently have.
1. If it were me I'd have used a single 4 x 70w amp but my SPL requirements are not as high as GTOs. SPL wanted a systme to kick his behind and that meant no compromise on power.

2. Subs are sealed. I prefer Sealed - it can take more abuse, smaller box required, and more tolerant of changes from published T/S specs.

3. Components in the rear - on the deck they'd be no use and in the door the rear tweeter wold be closer to the front passenger's ear than the front speakers themselves which means the front passengers will get a messed up image.

4. The VSL amp is best used at 4ohms. So that's how they are wired. The amp sees a nominal impedance of 4 ohms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
PS: Ajay has lost weight? Seems to be carrying a lean and hung...err thirsty look !
BTW It is Ajay who has done the install. I am not an Installer nor am I involved in AUdio (Car, Pro and Home) in anyway nor have I ever been or ever will be. Compared to the Pros (Sam, Gunbir, Ajay, Evo, LBM, etc...) my knowledge of audio only skims the surface. On TBHP however, since I have no commercial involvement, I am a Moderator.

Quote:
PolkMOMO, Kicker, Audiobahn and even Scosche makes grilles.
I am going to use a spare 12" woofer to make custom grills for GTO. These grill will be very discrete. Not loud and shiny like the MomO or Kicker grills I have seen. Matt black paint with a white screen paint of GTO on them.

Since I do this in my spare time dont hold your breath. Dont ask me for grills. It is a gift to GTO for starting this wonderful forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
3. Is there any stock location? maybe the size of the tweeter has forced them to use a different location
There was not stock tweeter or location for one. Ajay made one that looks stock. That was part of the brief. The install must look stock.

Again, Ajay did the install. GTO did the tuning - our taste are hmm how shoudl I say it...'diametrically different'.

I just made a couple of short visits and maybe gave GTO the courage to go through with this.
Old 16th April 2010, 12:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Navin but what was the advantage in using one amp for each side instead of one amp for front & one for rear?
Old 16th April 2010, 12:26   #66
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
3. Components in the rear - on the deck they'd be no use and in the door the rear tweeter wold be closer to the front passenger's ear than the front speakers themselves which means the front passengers will get a messed up image.
I am not sure I understand when you say that components would be of no use on the deck. The way I see it, the low frequencies are handled by the subs in the boot. What can handle the mids and the highs better than components? Besides, when installed on the deck, the sound usually bounces off the rear glass and surround the occupants making it sound even better.

P.S. Great idea on the GTO grille by the way.
Old 16th April 2010, 12:45   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not sure I understand when you say that components would be of no use on the deck.
all HF will bounce of the rear windsheild anyway so the object of using a seperate tweeter to direct hf to your ear is not really possible if used in the rear deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Navin but what was the advantage in using one amp for each side instead of one amp for front & one for rear?
I suspect Ajay used one amp for the front and one for the rear. GTO might have misunderstood. This is ICE remember, and GTO is an Engine-Vengine guy.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 16:19   #68
BHPian

@GTO: I just thought of one additional thing you could think about getting. Do consider an infrared camera in the front connected to the AV input on the HU. This way, when you are on the highway and visibility is poor, you could use this to assist you much like a BMW. What say?
Old 16th April 2010, 17:03   #69
BHPian

Quote:
@GTO: I just thought of one additional thing you could think about getting. Do consider an infrared camera in the front connected to the AV input on the HU. This way, when you are on the highway and visibility is poor, you could use this to assist you much like a BMW. What say?
The flir costs in 4's of six figures in landed cost!
I followed that through with flir officially through mail and telephone.
Old 16th April 2010, 17:36   #70
Team-BHP Support

We have a thread on FLIRs here : Link
Old 16th April 2010, 18:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
The flir costs in 4's of six figures in landed cost!
I followed that through with flir officially through mail and telephone.
I didn't realize they cost so much.
Old 18th April 2010, 16:33   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Irrespective of the cost, I think my forum posts amply demonstrate my allergy to bells & whistles. Gizmos I can do without.
Old 19th April 2010, 17:35   #73
BHPian

Fit looks great.. happy that no metal cutting was required
looks like a Disco on the move!!

wat abt the disco lights>>??

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (wat = what, abt = about, etc). Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th April 2010 at 17:48. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:19   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
looks like a Disco on the move!!
ha ha very soon we intend to introduce LBM to GTO.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:00   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
ha ha very soon we intend to introduce LBM to GTO.
I wish to see the fotos soon...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks