Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2005, 13:32   #256
Senior - BHPian

RSJ

The Alpine 450 is a nice amp. But it is large and that makes it difficult to install it on the firewall, under the seat or in the boot (specific to Getz). Long ago we installed one in the getz on the back of the right rear seat. See Mc Larens install... How much are you getting the 450 for?

Sub location... yes, if boot space is an issue for you then an IB wheel well install will suit you.

I dont know polywood... MDF is pretty standard here in Delhi, you can find various qualities. See if you can post a pic of the board... that will help.

Cable Lengths (based on amp in boot):

Fronts to Amp 14g = 2x 6 mts
Rears to Amp 14g = 2x 4 mts
Sub to Amp 14g = 1x 2 mts
HU to Amp RCA = 3x 6mts
Power Cable 4g = 1x 6mts with Terminal and Fuse at one end
Ground Cable 8g = 1x 1mtr with ground terminal at one end

I have assumed you will not be using the cables supplied with the speakers. If you use them you will have to make a joint miday (see McLarens install). Also you can use thinner cable like 16g for the speakers but it will be easier (and maybe cheaper cuz of larger qty) to go with one size.
Old 13th November 2005, 13:46   #257
BHPian

I just bought some power wire. The conductor is thicker than a pencil but the wire is so difficult to handle. Have I bought wire that is too thick? We do not get just the power wire kit at the places I asked. All come with RCA wire, which I already have. What should I do?
Old 13th November 2005, 13:49   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
I just bought some power wire. The conductor is thicker than a pencil but the wire is so difficult to handle. Have I bought wire that is too thick? We do not get just the power wire kit at the places I asked. All come with RCA wire, which I already have. What should I do?
Vivek have you seen McLarens cabling... Audison power kits are available without RCAs... you can get them from Venu at TMC

High flexibility is one of the design goals for car audio power cables. You can take 6" of 1/0 guage (good car audio) power cable and crumple it like paper with one hand... its that flexible...

Last edited by gunbir : 13th November 2005 at 13:54.
Old 13th November 2005, 18:36   #259
BHPian

Thanx Gunbir

how good r stock wires/cables? Do i need to replace with better branded wires or these will do the job efficiently?

I also checked my car.I could see two big cables [a red and a black] passing throgh in the centre of car from front to back.What r they?

Will post u pics of MDF tomorrow.Today that shop was closed.

And where is Mclaren's install? I could not find it except pics posted by him about vahan yatra.
Old 13th November 2005, 18:49   #260
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
how good r stock wires/cables? Do i need to replace with better branded wires or these will do the job efficiently?

And where is Mclaren's install? I could not find it except pics posted by him about vahan yatra.
well as far as i know the wiring does play a major role in the way the system sounds so ya u will need some good branded cables..

well my install is here..read from post 227 posted by gunbir till the latest for more pics..here is the link :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...2&page=7&pp=15
hope that helps..
Old 14th November 2005, 09:13   #261
Team-BHP Support

vivek, did you not get stranded cable. You should not use standard power cable in a car as flexibility will be limited. Like I said in a home you can use 7x18 but in a car you should get cable that have hundereds of strands. The dia will be tha same (pencil) but the flexibility will be better.

Doc, stock cables have limitaions. read post 2398 on the link below. it is only my opinion.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...251#post141251
Old 15th November 2005, 15:46   #262
BHPian

[quote=gunbir]RSJ

The Alpine 450 is a nice amp. But it is large and that makes it difficult to install it on the firewall, under the seat or in the boot (specific to Getz). Long ago we installed one in the getz on the back of the right rear seat.QUOTE]

Hi Guys

The size of this amp is 16x11x2, not that big i assume.I measued the space under firewall [under left side of dashboard] and i think it can fit [just my opinion].

Guys,if it can fit here dont u think this is the best place as it saves lot of space and will have plenty of air to breathe,which it will need to pump out 400w of power.

Gunbir do i need to make 2 rings for each speaker as mentioned by this link or just one will do the job?
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/mdf/index.htm

Also what should be the perfect thickness of wood needed for rings[1/2",3/4" or 1"]?
Do i need to make rings for tweeter and subs as well?

Quote:
Sub location... yes, if boot space is an issue for you then an IB wheel well install will suit you.
As i prefer tight,punchy bass i can get subw box made from mdf.
I think if ever i need boot space,i will just unplug subw box and leave it home.Also i suppose installing subw in well would be tedious task for installer here.Do i have do fibreglass work if i choose this method?
Old 18th November 2005, 21:47   #263
BHPian

Hi guys

Here is what i decided ....
1.Alpine 9847 HU with EU tuner settings $199 from crutchfield
2.Infinty 6010 components for front for $149 from onlinecarstereo
3.infinty 6012 coax for rear for $75 from onlinecarstereo
4.Alpine 450 5-ch amplifier for $286 from hookedontronics [inclu shipping]-very expensive on other websites.
5.Infinty 1040 2xsubw for $96 from crutchfield with buy 2 get 1 free scheme
6.Wiring from knukonceptz for $75
7.Dynamat xtreme $55 from onlinecar.....

I plan to sell one subw here in India for >$100 just to recover some money and 2 subw will be too much for me.

I could have bought all the stuff 2-3days back but i just couldn't find alpine9847 with EU tuner settings fron any online shop except crutchfield as i wanted to save some money.[wrote many emails to these and my relative dialed many phone no.but to no help]

Now my total budget has gone up to $950 i can recover around $100 after selling one subw but still it wud be $850.

Is there anyway i can reduce total cost like can i do away with dynamt xtreme,or something like this?

Guys plz help me fast.....................
Old 19th November 2005, 10:20   #264
Team-BHP Support

you could reduce the cost by replacing infinity with say JBL, the alpine 450 with a sony 504 in india (in exchage for the secondsub woofer) and uins the HU's amp for the rear coax.

so you could save about $75 by using JBL instead of Infinity, $186 by using the sony 504 instead of the alpine 450, etc... but dont expect the same sound.
Old 21st November 2005, 18:31   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
you could reduce the cost by replacing infinity with say JBL, the alpine 450 with a sony 504 in india (in exchage for the secondsub woofer) and uins the HU's amp for the rear coax.

so you could save about $75 by using JBL instead of Infinity, $186 by using the sony 504 instead of the alpine 450, etc... but dont expect the same sound.

Yeah........quality comes at a price!!!!!

navin do u think if i am getting 9847 and 9833 at almost same price [even if i am not],i should prefer 9833 and why?I know 9853 has replaced 9833 but do u think 9833 is still a good buy?
Old 22nd November 2005, 09:48   #266
Team-BHP Support

the 9833 is a very good unit. i am quite satisfied with mine. in fact if i had got my ipod earlier i might not have ever got the 9830 for my wife's car (got the 9833 instead).
Old 25th November 2005, 20:44   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
RSJ

I dont know polywood... MDF is pretty standard here in Delhi, you can find various qualities. See if you can post a pic of the board... that will help.

Hi Gunbir

As suggested by u i have uploaded the pic of MDF taken with my cellphone[sorry for low quality].

As u can see,MDf is wriiten on the ply and its available in various thickness and prices[from 20-50rs/sq feet].

Brand is Nuwud and i think the only one available here.Best one is called 'black ply'[in their language] and quotes for 50/sq feet.
Old 25th November 2005, 23:56   #268
BHPian

Nuwud is good. I had used it earlier to make a pair of bookshelf speakers.
Old 26th November 2005, 09:53   #269
Team-BHP Support

MDF is good. I however prefer Marine grade marine ply. MDF is messy to work with. Marine grade ply is usually void free.
Old 2nd December 2005, 20:42   #270
BHPian

Hi guys........I have bought infinty kappa 60.7cs,62.7i and alpine 9853.Will be buying infinty 1040+wiring in a day or two.

But really cant decide about amplifier b/w three
1.JL Audio e6450----6 ch
2.Alpine MRV 450---5 ch
3.Infinty ref 6571a---6 ch

I feel JL will get my vote.Alpine seems to to give least output power,35Wx4 at 12.5 while JL gives 45Wx4 at and Infinty gives 56x4 at 12.5.Others features r almost same like bass boost,variable xover etc

Only thing in favour if infinty is its $50-60 less price as compared to two others[~$300] and ofcourse its INFINTY but its S/N ratio is disaapointing.

I need ur help guys............................

Last edited by rsjaurr : 2nd December 2005 at 20:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks