Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2005, 15:41   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
hi aman..i have the same setup running in my zen currently..its pretty good for those who just love to enjoy their music and are not hardcore music buffs who need amps,subs et all..ya one note of caution the front speakers from sony are a big letdown..so u might want to change that for something better like say JBL GTO 426e..the HU is a real VFM and so to are the rear coaxials..
well for the budget u specified u better stick with the sony HU and the 6x9's..if ur willing to shell out more then skies the limit and u can get amps,subs,components and all that u can find under the sun..hope that helps..
Sony HU is good. Agree

Stick to sony 6x9 - Disagree.

Heard the Sony 6x9 fitted in a good box in a santro. Found them severly lacking. I wouldn't suggest these to anyone. If we are looking for grey market stuff only then Pioneer 6x9 is really good. The Bass, highs and over all sound is much superior to that of sony.
I've heard sony 4 inchers in the front. They would work like tweeters and not much more. So, take your call.

Btw, as Sam says, the new CS series is launched in India now, may be you can look at them.
Old 2nd October 2005, 16:02   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
Sony HU is good. Agree

Stick to sony 6x9 - Disagree.

Heard the Sony 6x9 fitted in a good box in a santro. Found them severly lacking. I wouldn't suggest these to anyone. If we are looking for grey market stuff only then Pioneer 6x9 is really good. The Bass, highs and over all sound is much superior to that of sony.
Sony is a good brand... but i dunno why they're not making good speakers...

Also in their effort to release lower priced speakers, they've started MANUcFATURING certain speakers in chennai.... Sorry to say they're not upto the mark....
Old 2nd October 2005, 16:13   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Chalo JK's famous AND happy. I told you JK, remember? That if I use it, I'll give you credit? heh heh

Now wanna REALLY smile??
Look for your name in BBC Top Gear (Page 1), Autocar India ( Outer Back page), CAR India (Outer Back page) ad some more ads too!! Go show your dealer what a important man you are to JBL India. lol

I just did it so you would smile. The whole company keeps wondering what is all this I keep writing and doing heh heh heh. NOW you can go to any JBL dealership in India and tell them YOU"RE THE MAN!! lol
These magazines also go to the media department at JBL worldwide, France and USA . EVERYONE will now know that man from Kerala!
Mailed my frnds ( 2 groups...that should be abt 100 people )

now I can brainwash my parents 2 give me the money 4 the CS1200B and 502z . hehe. they were happy when i told them abt the "Lets JBLfy"

Last edited by jkdas : 2nd October 2005 at 16:14.
Old 2nd October 2005, 16:46   #169
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Heard the Sony 6x9 fitted in a good box in a santro. Found them severly lacking. I wouldn't suggest these to anyone...
now thats maybe why u didnt like them as they were fitted in a box..but mine were fitted on an mdf tray dude..i had checked the pioneer 6x9's tooo man but found the sonys to be way better interms of bass and clarity too..but i say every man has his own tastes..so suit urself with what sounds best to u..i have had this in my car 4 3 months now and maybe the aesthetics of the car also make a particular brand sound different in every other car..
PS: u sure they were the sony 6937's bcoz u get the 6947's too but those dont run well without an amp..
Old 3rd October 2005, 08:56   #170
Senior - BHPian

on my way 2 show my jbl seller and installer the magazine
Old 3rd October 2005, 09:21   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
now thats maybe why u didnt like them as they were fitted in a box..but mine were fitted on an mdf tray dude..i had checked the pioneer 6x9's tooo man but found the sonys to be way better interms of bass and clarity too..but i say every man has his own tastes..so suit urself with what sounds best to u..i have had this in my car 4 3 months now and maybe the aesthetics of the car also make a particular brand sound different in every other car..
PS: u sure they were the sony 6937's bcoz u get the 6947's too but those dont run well without an amp..

Of what i gather from posts here, the bass improves when we put speakers in a box rather than a tray. And in a box if speakers didn't give enough bass, then in a tray i would wonder.........

I checked out the 6937's (sure of the number) and Pio to me was way way superior. The car shop guy also had the same opinion and I believe he never recommends sony speakers to anyone. The only cars in which he installs sony speakers, he says, is that of a die hard sony fan to whom everything sony makes is best (like I was untill i heard pio and got them installed in my Versa two years back).

Anyway, to each one his own.....

As for myself, Sony speakers seem lifeless.......
Old 3rd October 2005, 10:18   #172
Team-BHP Support

SM, most 6x9s are built for the rear deck, and hence have specs that work best in a free air alignment. while i myself have had good expereince with putting a 6x9 in a box this might not always be the case. I would first put it in a tray as it is simpler and less expensive and takes up less room. there are also pre fab 6x9 boxes in the market so one can try that later. you dont have to build a box.

now before i am accused of confusing everyone i'd like to add that i have so far not heard well defined bass coming from a 6x9 in the rear deck (tray). what i often hear from such installs is a lot of boom. I which case I would suggest trying a box. If however in your particular install the bass is tight and well defined from a tray by all means use a tray.

gunbir, JB, Sam and those with more recent experiences might have something to add to these observations.
Old 3rd October 2005, 10:57   #173
Senior - BHPian

Santro specifically is notorious for eating up speaker bass. Most 6x9s that perform well (read bass) in alto, zen, sedans... pretty much suck in the Santro tray install.

If you mount them in a box and keep them on the floor though, the top end would suffer as high frequencies are very directional and what you would hear is a mono'ish output.

We have tried once, with decent results, Alpine Stype 6x9s in a tray, with custom 6x9 small enclosures mounted to the underside of the tray. So you still get (most of) your boot space.

With that speaker, the bass became defined and tight. Added an amp and it became louder, but doesnt give the low kind of bass. For most people, it would be sufficient and for audiophiles, better. But if you like your bass low, a subwoofer would be necessary.
Old 3rd October 2005, 14:04   #174
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Of what i gather from posts here, the bass improves when we put speakers in a box rather than a tray. And in a box if speakers didn't give enough bass, then in a tray i would wonder.........

I checked out the 6937's (sure of the number) and Pio to me was way way superior. The car shop guy also had the same opinion and I believe he never recommends sony speakers to anyone. The only cars in which he installs sony speakers, he says, is that of a die hard sony fan to whom everything sony makes is best (like I was untill i heard pio and got them installed in my Versa two years back).

Anyway, to each one his own.....

As for myself, Sony speakers seem lifeless.......
completely agree that the box versions will give u better bass but then u will be compromising on the mids and highs right and dude i never said bass is more in a tray than the box.read carefully..maybe thats y u felt they were bad..i never quite liked the boxed type as compared to the tray(also considering the fact that space in my zen is a major constraint)..

hhmm..have u heard the pios in a boxed enclousre in the same car,that would give u an indication btwn the performances of the two..well each man has his own preferences i liked the sonys when compared to the pios (tested the same in my car and then only came to a conclusion)..well regarding ur installers recommendation who knows if he is trying to pull of a business deal with his recommmendations..remember they are here to do busineess so profits is what encourages them to recommend brands and everything comes next..and who would want to go and buy stuff based on others recommendations unless they pls ur ears..let ur ears do the talking and not the others tongues..and im sure all our gurus would tell u the same..
im entitled to my views and so are u,but sorry if that sounded rude because some have been getting a wrong view about my posts about the sonys not only here but in other threads too..so wanted to clarify them to all..
Old 3rd October 2005, 15:06   #175
BHPian

I'm a great sony fan, My home theatre previous was a sony dav S 500. Gave me trouble, still I bought another sony GN88D. I've suggeted and bought sony systems to my relavtives for home. Just two days before I bought a Sony DSC H1 Digi cam.

Got nothing against sony. Why even my present setup is a sony 5100 HU and a sony 10 CD MP3 changer but as far as sony speakers go especially 6x9 ovals - I would not select them.
This is what makes me sad that i cannot select them.

I may be wrong and am no audio guru, yet I would like to say that Bass to me gives depth and life to music and when we have 6x9 ovals without a subwoofer then the 6x9 gotta give that bass, which ability the sony 6x9 ovals, especially the 6937 (as i heard it) severly lacks!!

Therefore I would neither select nor recommend them to anyone.

Few other observations/trials during my setup - just in case they prove helpful to others.

Had got the JVC Cassette/MP3 double din installed first in my car, inspite of the gurus advising against it, then changed it to a Sony 5100 + 10 CD MP3 changer. Found our Gurus bang on. Didn't like the sound of the JVC. Sony was better. Pio Cassette deck was even better sound wise but pio does not make a MP3 cd changer yet, so went ahead with sony combo.
Prices - Sony 5100 = Rs. 4,800/- 10 CD MP3 changer = Rs. 6,300/- = Rs. 11,100/-.
JVC double Din mp3/Cassette combo = Rs, 9,000/-
Old 3rd October 2005, 15:49   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Hi Ajay,

You will see this in every car magazine in India this month. JBL CS is a value for money series and they have some new products that we're marketing quite strongly.
Basically it's JBL for the masses. Some speakers are even cheaper than existing available brands. For JBL thats a bloody achievement.
To answer your question, it's one level below GTO in performance. Still excellent, but doesnt have the performance of the Grand Touring Series. Good for a budget wala.
Hey Sam, I got the CS1200T installed yesterday. This was done in your newest JBL authorised dealer M.N in Andheri-Lokhandwala.
Did'nt know that this tube would be that huge. And the Bass it produces it real deep. I just love it. At last, the long wait to have this installed is over. And I am enjoying the 'thumping' it belts out.
And thanks, Firoz was real helpful.
I am stil lto install my DVD with his help.
Old 3rd October 2005, 16:03   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Buss, aur kya chahiye, another happy music buff. Enjoy
Old 3rd October 2005, 17:07   #178
BHPian

And contrary to all the 'Good Deals' in the grey market, I went for the genuine bill & warranty. Just for the Peace of mind. Now, I know I can hold someone responsible if anything goes wrong.
And Navin, contrary to all the discussions I have read on TBHP, the dealer convinced me on keeping the 936s at the rear and the smaller 426s in the front. The argument was that 426s at the back will be drowned in the o/p from the tube.
Old 3rd October 2005, 17:10   #179
Team-BHP Support

yup but the 936 esp if supported by a sub will drown out teh 426 in the front.
Old 3rd October 2005, 19:08   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
yup but the 936 esp if supported by a sub will drown out teh 426 in the front.
Boo Hoo, that is what is happening now. I can't hear anything from the front speakers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks