Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2005, 16:15   #226
Team-BHP Support

Then if the Qtc gets too hgh you can use an aperiodic port and control that.
Old 16th October 2005, 18:18   #227
Senior - BHPian

Zen Install Help

Hey guys

I have a few pics of a Zen install for you... There are some issues you should know about when ICE'ing yor zen.

The Front doors speaker locations are a weird shape now. Makes it hard to install a 5.25" driver there. Here you can see a bracket used to adapt and some hammer and tongs strategies were used to make the 5.25" fit. We suggest you block all the holes in the metal sheet (like the one over the spkr) with Dynamat / Fonomat / Wurth etc.

As usual crimp all connections. Taped joints are a nuisance and avoid them at all costs.

Nice, easy location for your tweeters, point them towards the opposite seat best harness point. In most instances, this will help give you a nice, high, centered soundstage.

Rear speakers, 6.5" coaxes in this case. Keep as much distance between them as possible. This will give you a nice stereo image for the rear passengers.

Again, if possible crimp your power connections to the amp and use spade type connectors for a good connection. If not used, often thick power cables will pull themselves lose and result in shorts and damage.

Sort your power cables, and speaker, singnal level cables. Ensure your speaker and RCA cables are on one side of the car and the power cables on the other side.

Use cable ties to sort and manage your cables.

Set your amp gains properly. If you dont understand how to do this properly, ask somebody or get a professional to do it (assuming he knows how to).

Use good quality cables. Some installers use cheap household electrical cables and cheap 100 rupee RCA interconnects. DO NOT USE IN LINE NOISE SUPPRESSORS, THEY WILL DEGRADE YOUR SOUND!!!

Use good quality connector for subwoofer boxes, so that if you have to remove your box for lugging baggage etc, then you can just unplug and go. Without connectors, your cables will be left dangling and if they short it could damage your amp.

The zen has a small boot and there isnt much space. You have to be careful where and how you install your sub and amp.

Cheers, Happy ICE'ing
Old 16th October 2005, 19:22   #228
BHPian

Some finesse that!!

I'll tell you one thing, None in Hyderabad would even have heard of prooper cabling, interconnects and installs like that!
Old 16th October 2005, 23:01   #229
Senior - BHPian

nice one gunbir. tha cabling part look so neat and taht 2 with those blue cables. do u have more pix? and which amp is that ; and wher was it kept?
Old 16th October 2005, 23:49   #230
BHPian

Hey Gunbir, Nice and tidy install, That! Like JK asked, which amp is that?

I had a zen before with the same system I have in my palio now. Cut the front door pads into half and made fibre glass enlosures for my 8" blau's. It was pretty nice, I had pictures of the car's install but I dont know where they are now.
Old 17th October 2005, 00:24   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
Hey Gunbir, Nice and tidy install, That! Like JK asked, which amp is that?

I had a zen before with the same system I have in my palio now. Cut the front door pads into half and made fibre glass enlosures for my 8" blau's. It was pretty nice, I had pictures of the car's install but I dont know where they are now.
mate what was teh cost for getting it done.. i mean the fibre glass enclosure. can i have one made for santro xing?
Old 17th October 2005, 00:34   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
and which amp is that ; and wher was it kept?
JK that is a Alpine 450 5ch Amp. I'm told it retails for around 25K or so. Very nice unit for the price.

It is installed in the boot, on the back of the left rear seat. See the last three pics...
Old 17th October 2005, 00:43   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
mate what was teh cost for getting it done.. i mean the fibre glass enclosure. can i have one made for santro xing?
Actually I didnt pay for it seperately as my installer is a good friend. Just paid a lumpsum amount which was a pittance for the work he did.

It should normally cost around a 1000 bucks each door depending on the size. A fibre glass enclosure can be made for any car but do you need it?? As it may involve cutting door pads or other OE parts.
Old 17th October 2005, 09:48   #234
Team-BHP Support

Gunbir, Beautiful install. However I prefer to use different colour cables (front, rear and sub) so I can trace them easily. You stole my heart with the Alpine 450. BTW what did the whole system run?

Front cops:
Rear coax:
Sub:
amp:
cables:
Install:
Old 19th October 2005, 02:18   #235
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
1st car to be hertzzzddd outside delhi!!!!

ok guys i know u all must be thinking that im crazy that im posting now that the pics of that car posted by gunbir is none other than mine..actually have been really busy to log onto the forum courtesty JB..have been very busy of lately..so finally made sure i do post it today..

so yes this is the 1st car to be hertzzdd outside delhi and that makes it special not only to me but to JB and gunbir as well..well a lot of effort has been put into this setup and have finally got everything in place..

after a lot of thinking and reviewing a lot of brands finally decided to check out hertz..i know a few may think this might be foolish of me,but that best describes how i am,very adventurous..never afraid to try anything out of the mainstream,out of the ordinary..so thats what made me choose this brand over the others...and lets say these guys swept me off my feet..
Old 19th October 2005, 03:16   #236
BANNED

firstly the entire consignment was shipped from delhi almost everything including the speakers,sub,wires,even the sealed box was personally got down by JB..thanks a lot JB..

then after picking up JB from the airport late in the evening we called it for the day and returned back home..the next day we decided to begin the install and thats when some bad news struck..my garage was closed and all the workers had gone out of station due to the dashera holidays..so somehow ended up contacting one of the mechanics and also could manage to get the electrician to come over on friday...

so work began and we both( read JB and myself) unpacked the entire stuff and placed it on the table to take a few pics so that we could at a later point refer as to what all went into the car..then we stripped the front door pads out and the rear seat and got to work..

first the decision to make was whether to use a mdf tray or use the stock tray provided by the company.. JB on careful observation decided to go in for the latter and we set the ball rolling..first the OE tray was cut to occomodate the 6" coaxials..then the amplifier was taken out and we were actually in a very big dilemma as to whether the boot space would be enough to accomodate the amp,sub in a 0.8 cuft sealed box with a OE parcel tray without having to make any major mods and stuff..

so once JBs innovative ideas were out we decided to get ready to get the stuff in place..so first the entire door pads, the panels and all were stripped and the entire cabling was in place in about an hour..then we laid out the markings for the sub box,the amp with keeping the parcel shelf as a reference and began..first the coaxials were put onto the OE tray..then the amp was fitted in such a way that the sealed enclousure once fitted with the sub would not touch the right coaxial (damn the tiny boot space in a zen)..and JBs calculations were right on target..fixing the amp to the rear seat took nearly 1.5 hrs..then the next thing was to fit the 10'' sub into the box and this took another 1 hr to do so..then the coaxials were in place and the entire setup was fitted without wiring to see if all were in the place they were to be..then the amp was hooked up and so was the sub and was tested..then went in with the coaxials..now the entire rear end was in place..

so then we head to the front actually intentionally left the fronts for the last as we knew they would create the most problem..well first look at the door pads only said it all..it could accomodate only 4'' in the door and nothing more..then as dissappointment lunged over me, JB got a brilliant idea..we could not use the mdf rings as the door pad is concealed in a zen unlike the older ones and JB didnt like cutting the door pads..luckily we found the spacers on the speaker pods which came OE for the 4'' and with a slight change in the holes position(which were drilled later) the mids were set in place ready to hook up taking care that the speakers dont touch the window glass..then fixing the door pad seemed to be a very big problem as it was meant only for 4'' and not 5.25 ''..just as we thought the entire plan was a flop and that i would sadly either have to go back to 4'' coax in the front too or cut the door pads JB worked out yet another simple solution and installed the door pads(with some skill i must say) and everything seemed to be fine..so everything was installed in the place that was meant for them..

so now that everything was in place the entire wiring was sorted out and the system was started..though not sure how it sounded in the begining JB got to tuning all the stuff...once he was satisfied that the tuning was done satisfactorily we both got into the car and slowly turned on the volume..at low volumes the setup sounded really great( not to 4get that the tuning was only done marginally to see if everything worked alright) and as we pumped up the volume there was someting that concerned the two of us very much..firstly the compos didnt sound optimum because there was too much leakage thru the door..and secondly the compos were such a tight fit that the speaker was actually hitting the door grill producing a jarring sound..so once again we got to working on the front compos and decided we had to get some damping materials to prevent the leakage and also find a solution to stop the speaker from hitting the grill..after all efforts to source out WURTH damping pads(1st recommended by my very good friend sam kapasi,thanks sam) were out as the JBL showroom guys couldnt source it as all were on chutti the idea was postponed to monday and we got to solve the next problem and that took us nearly half an hour and finally we could make the speaker stop hitting the door pad even at high volumes..now that santosh(sam's bangalore incharge for his store) confirmed to me that he could get the pads only on monday we shut the entire door pads and decided to tune the setup and think about the damping later..

JB then got to tuning the car and solved the slight niggles that he came across here and there and we were in all readiness to test my system..so when the time to listen to my setup came i was as excited as hell and actually had no clue as to how good they would play..so was literally worried but that soon vanished as the volume levels picked up slowly..the system sounded so clear that they swept me off my feet..had never expected these to play so brilliantly ever..they sounded a bit bright initially but then the amp settings were yet to be done with the tweaking of the HU settings too..
Old 19th October 2005, 03:38   #237
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mclaren, great review...seems like you n JB spent some on that one,dint you?? Well, the sound quality...was as great as its expected except that I told you the mid was high(for me)...have you tweaked that one?? 10points to the sub...awesome clarity and tightness. All in all I guess its worth every penny out of that 60k you spent!!! Well, if I had more time with JB I wouldve surely got my alto to Vtec setup done. But Im sure you can help me with that too(you are good, you know that), as Im kinda, actualy, really a rookie in audio technicality but I got a great ear and can tell you if Im getting the sound I want, probably you can take over from there.. .
Old 19th October 2005, 04:08   #238
BANNED

so once we were through tweaking the settings on the amp and the HU we quickly pumped up the volumes and i was shocked to notice the difference between the two..if in the beginning it sounded really good then now it sounded even great and literally i had a million dollar smile on my face to see the clarity with which they were playing..and the entire brightness seemed to have disappeared all of a sudden..by now it was really late nearly 10 pm so headed home as we had to head early next morning to vahaan yatra,so left the system as it is..as the system sound their best after a few days of usage we decided not to tune it further but carry on with the tuning once the damping pads would arrive...so having nothing much to do decided to head to VY and got to meet the other members and had loads of fun..at that very moment santosh called me up and said that the damping pads were ready and i could pick them up on saurday only..so was really happy and got them the same day..thanks a lot santosh for personally taking interest in sourcing the pads for me at such a short notice..all thanks to sam without whom all this would have never been possible,have built up a very close bond with all the guys at JBL during the VY and all thanks once again to sam..though we wanted to get the system completed to get the optimum sound off it we were too busy over the next few days to actually do it..then finally we decided that we had to get it done with today and so came back a bit early and got to work..got the entire damping in place and now that everything was done JB got to tune the setup one final time..

by then came along robert clive at the same time to meet JB and the others and he was swept with the change in sound quality the daming pads and the final tuning and tweaking had made to the setup(he had heard them earlier at VY too)..all of a sudden the entire soundstage seemed to have risin nearly till the half way mark of the windshield and all of us were amazed as to how the clarity had yet significantly improved,though i thought nothing could improve the clarity better after hearing to the setup without the pads and the final tuning..but this sure did prove me wrong..

the soundstaging was just simply superb and and the clarity is too good to believe its true..the punchy bass the 10'' sub produces in the sealed enclosure is to die for..and im sure all the guys who have heard the same on this forum would agree with me..well as if my satisfaction was already not up and running high a few very well known people(some of the biggest names in india) in the industry did happen to check out what the stuff really did and they were more than amazed at what the setup sounded like..and the satisfaction that i hadnt spent nearly 60% as to what the others had spent and had gotten even better quality than the rest spending really high got me grinning a mile wide..

well all in all i really thank gunbir who sat with me and chalked out a very good deal with me and helped me understand stuff better even at 2 or 3 in the mornings without complaining a bit,im sure im his worst nightmare ..a special thanks to my great friend JB who virtually single handedly got the entire stuff from delhi and installed the same in my car with fixing the wiring to the fixing every screw on almost everything that went into my car...i would also like to thank sam and santosh without whom this wouldnt have been possible and also v1p3r and robertclive whose valuable inputs helped us in tuning the system to its optimum..thanks guys for all the help u rendered to me and i really appreiciate that..

last but not the least it would be my pleasure to let u all know that u could call me to check out the system anytime anyday if u are interested and want to know how hertz sounds like..

well a lot of hard work has gone into the setting up of this system as JB had to do all the stuff alone and had no one to help him out..im very impressed with the way he works the cleanliness he loves to maintain,the pics of the amps wiring say it all..a very neat install i must say and im sure most of u will agree with that..well it nearly took us two entire days to complete the entire setup with the tuning to get the best out of it,this just goes to show how professional and kind people this forum has got me to get in touch with..last but not the least i would also love to thank all the guys on this forum who have virtually guided me through my entire enquiry and setup..thanks all...

PS: guys there were only 4 guys who had an idea about this setup,hope u remember i had posted about this earlier too..these 4 are none other than gunbir and JB (obvious enough), our latest entry into the list of moderators thats navin "uncle" and a very close friend of mine read revtech who initially was to source me pioneer amps from singapore when he was there for some work..
so i have totally spilt the beans guys..
Old 19th October 2005, 04:25   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Gunbir, Beautiful install. However I prefer to use different colour cables (front, rear and sub) so I can trace them easily. You stole my heart with the Alpine 450. BTW what did the whole system run?

Front cops:
Rear coax:
Sub:
amp:
cables:
Install:
hey navin i would like to thank u on behalf of gunbir,JB and myself..yes indeed the entire setup is wonderfully done and all credit goes to JB..and the thing about using different coloured cables is true but we preferred a single colour as it would look uniform..yup i know how much u love the alpine 450 amp and i must thank u solely for that..it would not have been possible for me to choose this amp if it wasnt for u who recommended it in the first place..thanks a lot my man..well the entire setup goes like this:

1. Pioneer DEH- 7750 Mp3 HU - 9,000..
2. Hertz energy 5.25'' components for the front - 7,800..
3. Hertz energy 6'' coaxials at the back in the OE tray - 5,140..
4. Hertz energy 10'' DVC subwoofer with sealed box - 8,700..
5. Alpine MRV-F450 5 channel amplifier - 25,000..
6. Audison cabling and accessories from A-Z comp - 5,600..
7. damping pads from wurth - 2,000..
8. Install - priceless as it was done by JB himself..

Total costs - 65k approx with a few additional costs not mentioned above..all in all the entire setup is worth every penny i spent for..
Old 19th October 2005, 04:35   #240
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Hey Mclaren, great review...seems like you n JB spent some on that one,dint you?? Well, the sound quality...was as great as its expected except that I told you the mid was high(for me)...have you tweaked that one?? 10points to the sub...awesome clarity and tightness. All in all I guess its worth every penny out of that 60k you spent!!! Well, if I had more time with JB I wouldve surely got my alto to Vtec setup done. But Im sure you can help me with that too(you are good, you know that), as Im kinda, actualy, really a rookie in audio technicality but I got a great ear and can tell you if Im getting the sound I want, probably you can take over from there.. .
hey wolf thanks a lot for ur inputs..ya the system has been totally fine tuned as of today too bad that u couldnt meet us in the night,u could have seen how much the clarity has changed..and also the damping has been finally done,so maybe il show u the next time we meet..btw the mids being high that u pointed was actually the speaker hitting the door grill that made one perceive the sound to be a bit jarry or thereabouts..and ya i have learnt a lot from working with sam and JB in these 15 days and will try and help u out with all that i have learnt under their guidance..well i totally agree with u that ears are the best devices to judge the sound with..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks