Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 15:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Good point, Sn1p3r. And very true as well.
Same equipment in a Skoda/WagonR/i20 can be completely different experiences, with the bass and tones going all over bouncing everywhere except in the listener's head.

Sound is important but acoustics is more important. So pair your equipment well after understanding the voice contours of the car.

Had a factory fitted BOSE 8 speaker system in my earlier car. Sound was divine. Had to shell out a lot more in EMI though :-)

But like sound system for home, go with the ear for your selections. The type of music you love to listen is also a factor. Listening mono retro songs like Rajkumar/MGR songs, on the best of systems, will hardly make much difference

Accept with you, except for the Wagon-R part. Infact when compared with my Swift i found the i10 better in terms of 'keeping the Music inside' - thereby providing a relativley better listening expereince for the same set-up.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I did not get what you mean by this.
I visited B&O and then Bose stores. I found that the same music (lossless -Jazz songs on my iPod) sounded very different on both the systems. To mark it up manufactures tell that that is the USP of a OEM designed car audio system. IMHO B&O is better than Bose. Bose was more synthetic and midrange loses out. I am yet to sample others (Car setup please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Good point, Sn1p3r. And very true as well.
Same equipment in a Skoda/WagonR/i20 can be completely different experiences, with the bass and tones going all over bouncing everywhere except in the listener's head.

Sound is important but acoustics is more important. So pair your equipment well after understanding the voice contours of the car.

Had a factory fitted BOSE 8 speaker system in my earlier car. Sound was divine. Had to shell out a lot more in EMI though :-)

But like sound system for home, go with the ear for your selections. The type of music you love to listen is also a factor. Listening mono retro songs like Rajkumar/MGR songs, on the best of systems, will hardly make much difference
I agree, people who like to listen to MP3 no matter if its 320 kbps kill the sound quality, so anything will do.

Did you ever find the Bose changing the midrange for Rock and Jazz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Accept with you, except for the Wagon-R part. Infact when compared with my Swift i found the i10 better in terms of 'keeping the Music inside' - thereby providing a relativley better listening expereince for the same set-up.
Mi10, I am so happy that you are collecting the best of the components for the car. I just want that you see the car acoustics and then place the same. Else it will be like one of my friends car audio system where you can feel the bass neck above.

Love the passion, keep up the great work and let us know how it is coming about.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:28   #33
BHPian

Hi Mi10,
I've been following this thread from the starting and man you got really great stuffs

When and where did you planned to install? If you don't have any problem PM me, i can also join when you install the ICE.

Cheers,
L&S.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10
"Sister: What on the earth is that thing ?
Me: mmm, Thats a..err.. well, its is called a Voice Coil
Sister: Oh Really?, i thought it was a Tennikoit Ring"
I'd love to see a voice coil that resembles a Tennikoit ring.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I'd love to see a voice coil that resembles a Tennikoit ring.
The area mentioned between Yellow lines, Isn't that supposed to be Voice Coil.

I really dont know
Attached Images
File Type: bmp gzrw1.jpeg.bmp (351.6 KB, 584 views)

Last edited by Mi10 : 16th December 2009 at 15:04.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:

I really dont know
No mate, that one is 'Surround'. The voice coil wont be visible outside. It is a copper wire wounded on a paper. Please find different parts of a speaker in the following pic.

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-explodedwoofer.jpg
Old 16th December 2009, 17:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Oh Ho, My mistake. Anyhow, Good to know. Thanks bro
Old 16th December 2009, 23:02   #38
BHPian

Congrats Mi10 on your choice of equipment !

Got the sub & enclosure directly from Mr.B&T eh ?
And whats happening with the HU ?

Cheers !
Old 17th December 2009, 07:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Congrats Mi10 on your choice of equipment !

Got the sub & enclosure directly from Mr.B&T eh ?
And whats happening with the HU ?

Cheers !
HU is flying down from US. Expected on the Christmas weekend, along with 'few' other items
Old 17th December 2009, 10:04   #40
BHPian

You're gonna have one hell of a car!
I can already 'feel' the equipment you're about to put in. All of the things you bought are good quality, specially the 3-way and I'm guessing that you must've gone with a good 4-channel/2-channel as well which is awaited. I'm sure this setup is going to rock especially because you have a hatchback. Good luck with the project, will be awaiting the arrival of your 'few' other items!
Old 17th December 2009, 11:01   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
It is a copper wire wounded on a paper.
kapton is the former usually used but I have also seen anodised aluminum formers - anodised layer is electrically non-conductive but an excellent conductor of heat.

the voice coil will slip between the pole piece (the silver metal T shaped end piece in the photo attached) and the magnet.
Old 26th December 2009, 21:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

I am Back..with another 'Slithery' update

Everybody knows the significance of good Amp kits. Earlier i had used some low quality amp kits like 'Boss' and some unknown RCA plugs. I dont know if probably a better amp kit would have increased the quality of output. Anyway, now its immaterial as i have stripped everything down from the previous setup

When i decided on the Amp kit, initially, i though not to spend too much on on something as 'simple' as cables and plugs. My budget was only 5K, but you know how this ICE bug grows right?

Call me Maniac or Lunatic, but ended up spending around $240 for Amp kits alone

Here comes the second one but a much bigger one; The RFK1 - 0/1 Gauge Power kit. Honestly speaking, i have never seen anything like this. My other Amp kit (RFK-4D) was big, but this is Insane!!!. I really dont know if i ll ever use this to its maximum potential, but as you know, "more is never enough"

Specs:
  • 1/0AWG (53.5mm²) 4,704 strands
  • 100% Pure Crystal-Oxygen Free Copper (PC-OFC)
  • FULL spec cable - meets or exceeds AWG (American Wire Gauge) requirements
  • Includes appropriate wire termination hardware

Want to know more?, Click this Rockford Fosgate® - RFK1

As always the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275511.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275507.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275509.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275502.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275504.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 26th December 2009, 22:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Headwood..err..Headunit update

When i decided on the HU for mu setup, i wanted a one that offered unmatched clarity along with decent set of features and ofcourse good looks.

I had the following under my purview;
  • Clarion DXZ785USB
  • Pioneer Premier P800RS
  • Eclipse CD7200 MKII
  • Alpine CDA-9887
  • Kenwood eXcelon X693/X993

I had narrowed the search to Eclipse vs Pioneer when fate spoiled everything. There was a serious financial crunch, to my ICE budget and ultimately, it was a toss up between the budget SQ HUs: Clarion VS the Kenwood

Although the Clarion offers much better potential when it comes to tuning (like going active, 6V preouts etc..), i didnt like the looks and interface of it.

Which left me with just one option - Kenwood. I am not that busy a person to take calls on the move nor do i travel long often. So the X693 made lot of sense over the X993.

My previous experience with Kennys, was not bad but not great either. It takes time to play of USB's, an awefully designed Remote (by the looks of it) and not so great feature list (audiophile grade tunning options) are some of the putoff points.

However, it scores on few other essentials (atleast in my list) like Voice Clarity, Sleek looks, User-friendly interface (ok, this may be subjective) and most importantly VFM (what an average Indian really wants)

Got the good deal on it, making this one of my best purchases in my list of components.

Specs:
General Features:
  • Flip TDF (Theft Deterrent Faceplate)
  • Full Dot Multi-Line Display
  • Variable Colour Illumination
  • Spectrum Analyzer
  • Music Search
  • Favorite Memory
  • Rotary Encoder for Easy Operation
  • Supplied with Remote Control Unit
  • 2-Year Warranty

Audio Features:
  • Maximum Output Power : 50W x 4
  • 4.0V 3 Preouts
  • Source Tone Memory
  • Rear AUX Input with Input Sensitivity Adjust
  • Attenuator (-20dB) with Smooth Volume Return
  • FM/AM 24 Station Presets (18FM, 6AM)

CD Features:
  • AAC playback (Apple Audio Codec without DRM)
  • WMA playback (Windows Media Audio)
  • MP3 playback (MPEG1-Layer3)
  • ID-3 Tag Display
  • 24bit D/A Converter
  • 0-bit Mute
  • CD-R/CD-RW Compatible

Sound Excellence DSP:
  • 5-band EQ
  • Digital crossover system
  • Digital Time Alignment
  • Kenwood Customized iPod EQ
  • Highway Sound
  • Supreme+

External Media Devices Compatibility:
  • Rear USB 2.0 Input for thumb drives, external HDD and compatible iPods
  • iPhone/iPod USB 1-Wire Direct Control connection (recommend KCA-iP101 cable)
  • Alphabet Search
  • Percentage Skip Search
  • Reverse Browsing
  • All Random Playback

Here are the Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275516.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275517.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275518.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275515.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275519.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275520.jpg  

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc275521.jpg  

Old 27th December 2009, 11:41   #44
BHPian

Hi Mi10, Great choice of equipment there...I am sure its gonna rock your i10 big time. But just a thought.....i guess you could have avoided a little bit of the wiring clutter and kept the amplifier power wiring bit a little simpler by going in for a single 0/1G wiring kit something like a 0/1G dual amp kit like the Kicker PKD1 which is available for around 14k in Mumbai. I am sure you could have got a great deal online thereby working out much cheaper than the (RFK-1 & RFK-4D). Quite a few bhpians have been using the Kicker kit for a while now like Manan for his Civic, KK for his Swift and Abhinav for his VRS among others. And its doing a great job is what i hear.

The saved cash could have been used to buy better speakers from the Hertz Hi-Energy range rather than the Energy series (HSK-163 in place of ESK-163 and HCX-165 in place of ECX-165)..All of the above is completely my opinion. I too own an i10 Sportz and my eyes are totatlly fixed on this thread as i too am planning a reasonably high-end install for my i10

Anyways, Please do post a detailed report and pics and any pointers specific to ICEing the i10 that one needs to keep in mind. Also a personal request......do post pics of the dashboard fascia on which the Head-Unit is mounted. Also by the way, where do you intend to mount your amplifiers? Behind the rear seat? If soo then you will need to fix a mdf board behind the rear seat before you can mount your amps there. as the portion behind the rear seat is all foam in the i10. it does not have a metal plate where you can mount your amps like in most cars. I would love to see how you mount your amps without the mdf board visibly sticking out like a sore thumb. Concealing the mdf board between the seat and the seat cover could be a good idea...but i am not sure...

Also a 3-way set.....ummmm! i forsee some lovely FG work in your car.

All the very best for the install bro.....

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 27th December 2009 at 11:42.
Old 27th December 2009, 12:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thanks prince,

You know what, the Amp kit decision was an made in a spur of the moment. I know, i could have saved a little more here, and probably went in for a better HU or even better pair of Speakers as you have said. My bad..

But Installing the Hi-Energys in Door pads is a serious challenge. I need spacers even for the Energy series.. oh forget them, i had spacers for the Deici's too.

I ll post up when i do the actual install, as of now still Amplifers for speakers is expected the coming week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks