Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2019, 17:43   #13876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I was not aware. But is there a big difference between capacitive and resistive? Which one do you think is better?
Capacitive screen is more responsive and easier to use than resistive but the difference between them isn't night and day. This increased sensitivity helps when you are typing an address or something as capacitive screen requires less pressure than resistive to register user input.

Not a deal breaker, but I would recommend Blaupunkt as you are getting a better screen and same features (?) at a lower price.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 18:22   #13877
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Bump bump. I am seriously considering the Sony XAV 3000 and the Blaupunkt Monte Carlo 750 to replace the stock 6-cd changer in my Fiesta. I found both to have similar specs (both have single USB), but the Sony has more adjustments on the Graphic Equaizer, while the Blaupunkt has only 3. But the Blaupunkt is Rs 3000 cheaper.

I am curious to know if the Sony unit charges the phone battery when it is connected for Car play or Android Auto. I read on this thread that the Blaupunkt does not as it has only 1.5 A charge.

Would appreciate a prompt response from any users here.
The Monte Carlo has two USB ports, one exclusive for the phone and another for any mass storage or media device.

The phone is charged, but at a low rate. For my iPhone, since it has a 2600mah battery, a full charge takes around two hours when plugged to the head unit. My earlier iPhone with some 1800odd mah battery charges in lesser time, obviously. If you are talking of some android phone with an insane battery, then surely the 1.5A charging current would not make a considerable difference to the battery level after a short drive.

Quote:
I was not aware. But is there a big difference between capacitive and resistive? Which one do you think is better?
The Capacitive touch screen on the Blaupunkt is amazing, and its response is miles ahead of resistive touch based systems. This is definitely realised when you try to use features like maps and try to pan across the map. Also when you try to seek time in a track or tune a radio station manually or even dial a phone number. I feel with Android Auto or ACP its quite a necessity to have a capacitive screen, since that is also a part of the experience. The response is instant.

Between this and the Sony, I think that the Sony might give you a better audio output but I have never experienced it in person so cannot make a side by side comparison.

Last edited by audioholic : 17th May 2019 at 18:26.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 17:33   #13878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The Monte Carlo has two USB ports, one exclusive for the phone and another for any mass storage or media device.

Between this and the Sony, I think that the Sony might give you a better audio output but I have never experienced it in person so cannot make a side by side comparison.
Thank you very much. Based on your inputs, i went in for the Blaupunkt Monte Carlo. Now it is version 2 model that has minor changes. There is now only one USB slot (bad, but does not concern me), the colour change of illumination has been dropped (bad), but the grahpic equalizer has 8 bands now (wow).

The price in Amazon is around 17200, but then one would need to pay extra for installation, fascia panel, radio pins, etc. I got the entire thing done for Rs 17450, including an extra C type usb cable and a radio pin that was very much needed. The toughest part was getting a fascia panel for a discontinued car, but luckily this guy could get it, though the main Blaupunkt guy could not source one, despite a week of effort. I'm sure it would have cost me Rs 800 to 1000 if I had to scout around for it.

Overall, I am pretty impressed with the change. Only the reverse camera is not clear at night, but that is the trouble with the 10-year old camera, not with the Blaupunkt. I am still getting acquainted with the system. A couple of controls in the settings I could not understand were 'Parking' and 'Illumination' in the advanced settings.

Below is a picture of the stock system and the new one.

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20190516_145549.jpg

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20190516_182234.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 19:22   #13879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A capacitive screen responds to touch. A resistive screen needs a tap. So any hard object can be used to operate a resistive screen like a pen, your finger nail, etc. But a capacitive screen needs the impedance generated by your finger tip.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 14:24   #13880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much. Based on your inputs, i went in for the Blaupunkt Monte Carlo. Now it is version 2 model that has minor changes. There is now only one USB slot (bad, but does not concern me), the colour change of illumination has been dropped (bad), but the grahpic equalizer has 8 bands now (wow).
You're welcome. This is pretty wierd that they made such changes. If the change to the equalizer is good, the rest doesnt sound so. I wonder why on earth they had to remove the colour customized illumination and moreover the USB port. In my unit, I have permanently attached a pen drive with a bunch of songs. However lately I am only using Amazon music and hence haven't bothered to use the USB port. But nevertheless, it will be cumbersome to have only one port. The option you mentioned on Illumination is to dim the display and buttons when you enable the pilot lamps. If you enable it, everytime you switch on the pilot lamps, the dimming happens. Brightness can be set for day and night mode separately. I hope they have retained this feature. The parking setting is used to link the handbrake as a lock to view videos and perform a few other settings. If this is turned on, videos dont play until you pull the handbrake. Both the above features work only if the respective wiring is made.
Regarding camera, I went in for a higher resolution camera so that it suited the bigger screen. The result is definitely noticeable both in day and night. I have posted the images on my car ownership thread I believe. Hence, change the camera to a good one and i think it will be sorted.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 14:44   #13881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You're welcome. This is pretty wierd that they made such changes.
The option you mentioned on Illumination is to dim the display and buttons when you enable the pilot lamps. If you enable it, everytime you switch on the pilot lamps, the dimming happens. Brightness can be set for day and night mode separately. I hope they have retained this feature. The parking setting is used to link the handbrake as a lock to view videos and perform a few other settings. If this is turned on, videos dont play until you pull the handbrake. Both the above features work only if the respective wiring is made.
Thank you for your inputs. Yes, I agree that having only one USB will be cumbersome, but based on my Figo's experience, I hardly use the usb input, and always used Spotify over BT or FM on the Figo's ICE.. Therefore I was not upset with one USB input being removed This apart, except your post that spoke of 2 inputs, almost all reviews I read on Amazon and other websites spoke of the Monte Carlo having only one USB input. Hence i was prepared for it. I also told some of my pals that if they wanted 2 USB slots, then Sony XAV5000 was the only option, but that was nearly 5 to 8 K more expensive.

Thanks for clarifying the Parking button function. There is one more beneath it labelled 'Illumination'. Not sure what that is used for. As regards display settings, the ones for brightness during day and night have been retained. What they have removed is whatever figures under the 'LED Illumination' chapter, that controls the background display colour and the day/night brightness.

Further, what do you mean by 'enabling the pilot lamps'? And does your unit enable dimming the white buttons on the far left for On/Off, volume up, volume down, etc?

I do like the 'screen off' and 'clock display' settings when I dont want to see anything on the unit at night.
Old 22nd May 2019, 23:31   #13882
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning on upgrading the stock setup in my Swift in stages, staring with the HU first. I have a few queries and i'd be glad if someone could help me out:
  • I've shortlisted Pioneer Z-5290BT or Sony XAV 5000 or Blaupunkt New York 750 . My audio installer's first preference is the Pioneer as he says that has the best output. I'm keen on going with Sony or Blaupunkt as they offer a capacitive touchscreen v/s the resistive type on Pioneer. I'm wondering how the HU can make a difference when i'm planning to drive the components and under seat sub through an amplifier.
  • The main difference between the HU other than the techy stuff is Blaupunkt comes with WIRELESS CarPlay and wired Android Auto. How big of a deal is having wireless Carplay and AA ? From what i've read wireless AA is a boon when on short drives when you can't be bothered about plugging in your phone. I use my car primarily within the city so i'm wondering if the wireless stuff is worth getting. I didn't find a single unit which offers both wireless android auto and carplay onsale in India.
  • If its worth going for the wireless units, should I wait until more established brands like Pio or Sony launch their units in India ? Pioneer has the 4400 NEX with a lot of positive reviews but its only available in the USA.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 22nd May 2019 at 23:45.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 17:34   #13883
BHPian

Guys, need your suggestions please

I am going for a audio upgrade for my Maruti Brezza and I have the options of picking up the below Components

Morel Maximo 6
Morel Tempo 6

the cost difference is around 6000/- between these two models, so is it worth to stretch my budget by another Rs.6000/- and go for Morel Tempo 6 or should I stick with Morel Maximo 6, just wanted to know is there major difference in audio quality between these above mentioned speakers

Note - I have already picked up the below devices for the setup

Rear speakers - Morel Maximo Coaxial
Amplifier/DSP - Sony XM GS6DSP

Please suggest

Last edited by Kanasu : 25th May 2019 at 17:37.
Old 27th May 2019, 08:55   #13884
BHPian

Gurus: I am a non-audiophile rookie who is frankly quite overwhelmed at the amount of knowledge and opinions that you possess! Reaching out to you for humble advice on a low-price upgrade for my Chevrolet Optra 2.0 LS 2012 model

[There is no advice for Optra on this thread and hence raising this query fresh]

I like the sound quality and output from my OEM setup. Only thing is, it is a old-fashioned 2-DIN music player and nothing else.

I would like to upgrade to a ICE system that supports Android Auto, allows integration of reverse-camera feed, has a touch-screen, preferably with built-in DSP that integrates well with the default speakers. I assume that if the system supports Android Auto, I wouldn't need an ICE that has integrated GPS - which should hopefully keep my budget low. Also, it will be great if it is Android based and supports/allows apps that can read data from my OBD sensor.

I will not be upgrading my speakers; and my budget - including installation and purchase of cables and any accessories - should be within Rs 20k (lesser the better since this is an old car).

If you also have a recommendation on a trusted shop to go to in Bangalore, I will be grateful. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by chetan_l : 27th May 2019 at 09:03. Reason: Adding more information
Old 27th May 2019, 11:26   #13885
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan_l View Post
I would like to upgrade to a ICE system that supports Android Auto, allows integration of reverse-camera feed, has a touch-screen, preferably with built-in DSP that integrates well with the default speakers. I assume that if the system supports Android Auto, I wouldn't need an ICE that has integrated GPS - which should hopefully keep my budget low. Also, it will be great if it is Android based and supports/allows apps that can read data from my OBD sensor.

I will not be upgrading my speakers; and my budget - including installation and purchase of cables and any accessories - should be within Rs 20k (lesser the better since this is an old car).
Android Auto car stereos aren't cheap so finding one under 20k MRP was tough. Maybe you can get a discount from the dealer and get one of these models under 20k.

https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/i...tions#features

https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/avh-z5290bt/

https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/i...ers/xav-ax5000
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 13:16   #13886
BHPian

Thanks so much for the super fast response @navin! I see that Sony AX3000 is available in the range I am looking for.

A quick question - can I install Torque or any other OBD application on the device? Basically does it support installation of any apk files?
Old 27th May 2019, 13:52   #13887
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much for the super fast response @navin! I see that Sony AX3000 is available in the range I am looking for.

A quick question - can I install Torque or any other OBD application on the device? Basically does it support installation of any apk files?
It's a HU that supports Android Auto. It's not an android HU. Android Auto uses your phone to stream the AA interface onto the car.

Please do read up more about AA before buying this.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 15:05   #13888
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have no idea about Android but from what I know Android Auto is just a fancy way of saying that the HU can connect to your Android phone and you have access to some of the apps on the Android phone.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 09:04   #13889
BHPian

Ok so I visited a well known audio Installer in Bangalore for my ICE setup and I told him that my Amplifier comes with a Hi-Low converter but he says based on his experience they don’t use the inbuilt converters since it is waste of time and most brands don’t invest in good inbuilt line drivers and results are not consistent and hence I would need to go for a external Hi-low converter

how true is this?
Old 29th May 2019, 09:31   #13890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gurus: I am a non-audiophile rookie who is frankly quite overwhelmed at the amount of knowledge and opinions that you possess! Reaching out to you for humble advice on a low-price upgrade for my Chevrolet Optra 2.0 LS 2012 model

[There is no advice for Optra on this thread and hence raising this query fresh]

I like the sound quality and output from my OEM setup. Only thing is, it is a old-fashioned 2-DIN music player and nothing else.

If you also have a recommendation on a trusted shop to go to in Bangalore, I will be grateful. Thanks in advance!
Sony / pioneer do not have capacitive touch in this price range , checkout these 2 units from Blaupunkt , they look feature rich in reasonable price .

Also keep in mind that not all units have wireless android auto support most need wired connection (USB cable) , if that is your requirement .

https://www.amazon.in/Blaupunkt-Capa...2&sr=8-2-fkmr0

https://www.amazon.in/Blaupunkt-Capa...s%2C542&sr=8-1
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks