Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2017, 12:54   #13396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
... Anyone have any idea if there is anyway to use an Android device on an Apple CarPlay enabled system through USB? Is there an App or something that can help? ...
In these situations, an Android device is supposed to appear like a storage device to the HU. However, this is dependent on the phone allowing it.

When you connect the cable from the HU USB to the Android device, does it present you with a menu where you can select the connection mode (Charge only, connect as storage, etc.)? If it does, and you select "Connect as storage", the HU should be able to retrieve the list of directories and files - allowing you to play the files.
Old 4th February 2017, 21:24   #13397
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
HELP!

My Apple CarPlay enabled Pioneer HU does not have BT and the AUX cable is at the rear, all i have is the USB line. It plays perfectly with IPhones but wont read Android. Anyone have any idea if there is anyway to use an Android device on an Apple CarPlay enabled system through USB? Is there an App or something that can help?
Hello

One more alternate could be to use something like this and wire it up at the rear:

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl...VQKHGKWC72X8B9

Thanks
Aditya
Old 4th February 2017, 21:35   #13398
BHPian

Finally arranged a coupler to coupler harness for connecting the JVC HU with the harness provided in my Ritz. Seems to be a good buy at 500 bucks from a Maruti dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20170204_210748.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20170204_210731.jpg  

Last edited by iron.head : 4th February 2017 at 21:43.
Old 5th February 2017, 15:38   #13399
BHPian

Folks,

Guidance needed for an audio upgrade of my 3rd gen honda city. Its a pre-owned car that I bought 1.5 yrs back, previous owner had installed a mapmy india dual DIN system with rear camera, speakers are untouched (factory ones). I was never happy with the sound quality, but spent my initial time to spend on the mechanical bits and now its time for the audio upgrade.

I am interested in mainly sound quality, I don't listen at high volumes at all and I don't want any unnatural or heavy bass. To give an idea of what I like, at home I use AKG 701 and studio monitors for listening - mainly classical (western and indian), bollywood and all south indian music, soft rock etc. No heavy metal or hard rock or trance.

My reqs in the decreasing order of priority, budget of 50-60k.

1) Sound quality, this is the main reason for upgrade. Things like TA, equalisers become essential as they help in getting a good soundstage and tuning the system to my taste.
2) Bluetooth for office calls, USB and Aux input
3) Rear camera feed, this has become a safety issue for me - apartment has a lot of small kids and I am really scared as these kids play hide and seek around car parking !
4) Would have liked Android auto integration

After a lot of reading in the past 6 months and some PMs to various ppl in the audio forums, I had shortlisted on the following

1) Pioneer HU 5890 or Alpine 560E - around 30k with steering controls
2) 6.5 components for the front Morel tempo Infinity referene components (15k) or Alpine R series (20k)
3) Co-ax at rear, same company as components whichever i pick (6-8k)
4) Damping using dampmats (5k)
5) New panels needed on dash which is a bummer, this costs 4.5k

Amplifier was/is missing and thats intentional - budget + safety fear. I travel a lot with my small kid on the back seat strapped to a child seat. So I keep getting "nightmares" about having an amp and potential fire safety. I know a professional installer will ensure that this is not an issue, but it will take sometime for me to overcome my fear. So I was planning to do this later.

I was happy and on the verge of ordering this, found a friendly installer who also seems to have decent knowledge and he is nearby. So I picked him as I am mentally prepared for multiple visits to fix rattles, tuning etc. I stopped browsing the ICE forum for sometime as I kept changing my plans looking at the information posted here. I nearly started this process, but made the "fatal" mistake of coming back here this week and I am lost again.

The following points are the ones that bother me about the list,

1) Having come up with the list, I was never happy with the HU change as it meant a lot of work on the dashboard and 4.5k for the dash panel was a major irritant. I don't mind spending for something that will help in improving the audio quality, but this was adding nothing to that.

2) Not getting good android support was another put-off for me. I was/am very keen on Alpine HU thanks to SQ, but the 30k one didn't have that support. Pioneer also has support only on 8* series, which is another 5k. Although its not important now, I am wondering whether a 4-5yr plan makes sense without android support.

3) Lack of amp, leaving aside the safety issue - I was not happy that whatever HU I get, it alone wont get the full value out of the comps.

So I am now thinking that I will leave the HU and spend that money on a good amp. Use the pre-out or line converter and feed it to the amp. Now this will make the HU the weakest system in the link, but I am tending towards this direction for the following reasons.

1) Hoping that we get to see more and more HUs with Android support and good SQ in the next year.
2) Avoid any dashboard work, saves me some rattles.
3) Most importantly, investigate and understand the external sound processor approach - I am clueless about this now, any help is appreciated. I got this idea from reading GTOs thread about high end audio installs, NAvin and folks have talked about using such a system to reduce the amount of surgery on the dashboard.

What do you folks feel? I understand that SQ is going to be bad, but I am just looking at buying myself 6 months to 1 year so that I can decide on the approach for fixing the source issue. Will the current HU be so bad that this whole approach doesn't make any sense? Should I ditch this whole line of thought and just go with what I had planned originally?

If I ditch the amp path and stick to the original plan, does the above list make sense? Specifically the components, I don't mind spending 20k for the components - but based on theory and talking to some folks, the consensus seems to be that there won't be a big difference between a 15k or a 20k component. So I might spend the extra 5k on more damping.

I know the post is too long, but this whole ICE thing has been bugging me for a long time and this time I really want to act on it. This is the 3rd or 4th time in the last 5 years where I start planning and then drop the plans thanks to this kind of confusion :-).

Mods: If you feel that this should be a new thread, please move it. Given that I haven't bought or installed anything new thread didn't make sense for me.
Old 16th February 2017, 16:11   #13400
BHPian

I'm running my first active setup ever.

I'm using a Mosconi gladen one 120.4 for tweeters and mids and a DD CM 1000 for my SI Mag D2V4. all my crossovers and time alignment is being handled by my Audison Bit Ten.

I'm looking for some advice on how to best tune everything. By this I mean, how to properly measure all my drivers for time alignment, and how to best detect phase to make sure everything is in proper phase. More complicated issue is how to use the equaliser of the bt ten.

My front stage is a set of Image Dynamics CXs6.2 mids and Dayton Audio DC 28F. Being my first active setup. I've never before had to deal with phasing each driver or setting time alignment. I'm looking for some tips and tricks on how to check for phase and how to setup the time alignment properly. So far I have just measured from each driver to the listening position and it seems pretty close to center but not exact. Also what is considered center ? Directly in front of the driver position? Or in the center of the dash? any help would be great. just for reference, I have crossed my tweeters at 2.5khz with a 12db slope, my mids are HPF'd at 80hz with a 12db slope and LPF'd at 3Khz with a 12db slope. Sub is LPF'd at 80hz with a 12db slope. tweeters are mounted on the A-pillar, and mids in factory door locations (Skoda Rapid).
Old 17th February 2017, 15:19   #13401
BHPian

Hello Folks

For everyone who's looking for a high quality(Scosche) Head Unit to car wiring harness coupler for Maruti Suzuki cars(Swift, Ertiga, Ritz, etc),

Please find the link here:

http://a.co/5iGKK9u

Thanks
Aditya
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20170217_120335.jpg  

Old 20th February 2017, 15:06   #13402
BHPian

Hey Guys,
I have a 2007 make JBL GT5 502 coaxials(5.25") in my car. As one of these co-axial gone kaput last week, want to replace this single speaker with probably a better one. Here is the link of the co-ax i have now.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...-series-9.html
Please provide me some options for replacement.
Also, do anyone give only one speaker instead of two?

Thanks,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 20th February 2017 at 15:08.
Old 20th February 2017, 15:18   #13403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hey Guys,
I have a 2007 make JBL GT5 502 coaxials(5.25") in my car.
Please provide me some options for replacement.
Also, do anyone give only one speaker instead of two?
There are plenty of options from JBL, Polk, Boston, DLS, etc but none of them sell single speakers. You will have to buy a pair.
Old 20th February 2017, 15:33   #13404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There are plenty of options from JBL, Polk, Boston, DLS, etc but none of them sell single speakers. You will have to buy a pair.
Ok Thanks.
Which will be the best yet cheapest brand co-ax i can go for?

Ramki
Old 20th February 2017, 16:57   #13405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Ok Thanks.
Which will be the best yet cheapest brand co-ax i can go for?
Pioneer, Kenwood, JBL are all about 3k per pair.
Old 20th February 2017, 17:41   #13406
BHPian

Gentelmen,

You might have read a couple of pages back about my audio install debacle (for those who didn't, in short, I got a system installed which I didn't want). I wish to report that at last I have made peace with it. After a lot of reading about slopes, frequencies and tuning, it has started to sound rather good.

However, like everyone else on this thread, the audio bug has bitten me and how!

Although I like how it is performing currently, being satisfied with it is a completely different question. The highs are good, a couple of notes actually hit you pretty well, and thanks to the massive sub-woofer in the back, there is plenty of bass. But I feel it is lacking vocals. How do I improve on it?

My current set-up is as follows:

1. Head Unit - Pioneer 5890 BT;
2. Focal Component - ISS 165 in the front;
3. JBL Coaxial in the back - I am not aware of the model number;
4. JBL CSX-1400BP - 12 inch subwoofer in the boot; and
5. JBL GX-A646SI - 4 channel amplifier powering the components and the subwoofer.

The way I see it, I can either upgrade the components in the front and move the existing components to the back; or
Get 6*9 for the back and retain the front components.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 20th February 2017 at 17:43.
Old 21st February 2017, 19:00   #13407
PhX
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Would really like some advice.

I bought my car in 2012 and then had some after-market audio parts installed. The set up included a basic 1 DIN Pioneer head with Bluetooth, component speakers (Focal) in the front, coaxial at the back, Boston woofer and amplifier.

I got the installation done at some place in Andheri East (Mumbai) and unfortunately, I'm not sure what kind of wiring they've used. Over the last 5 years, there have been multiple loose connections and I've had to replace a wire or two.

Nowadays, it feels like the sound in the left-side front speaker is messing up a bit. I have a few questions that I'd really like some opinions / advice on:
  1. Does it make sense to get the system re-wired since it's been 5 years?
  2. If not re-wiring it, is there any other kind of "servicing" or proactive maintenance I can get done?
  3. Could someone recommend someone reliable in Mumbai that I can reach out to for this?
Thank you in advance!
Old 22nd February 2017, 17:43   #13408

Hi Team,

This is my first post so please forgive me if this is post is in the wrong place.

I am a proud owner of a Vitara Brezza ZDI+. As of now it has a stock system ( HU + 4x25W nippon). I am looking forward to upgrade the ICE setup and am a lot confused about what would be the best way forward. My budget is around 20-35k max. I drive the car myself and dont have any specific music preference although i do listen to Indian Bollywood, oldies, punjabi, indipop, western and a bit of a rock too.

I have done a lot of research and read up a lot and do understand the requirements and components really well. I understand that every setup is different and tastes vary from person to person as well but still would like to know if it would have been you in my shoes what would you do in the given budget.

I have visited Aman (Motor Concepts) & Rana ( Driven ) at Delhi and taken their advise as well but am a still a little confused and your inputs would be helpful.

I already had the damping done on the four doors and will get it done on the boot as well during this install.

I am looking for an upgrade for better sound quality and thus my question is that

1) I have been advised to go for Memphis Audio/DD audio @ about 8-10k (by Aman at Motor Concepts) and Infinity Reference 6500 cx @ 5.5k / Morel Maximo 6.5 @ 10k ( by Subhan at Driven) and I am leaning towards Morel Maximo as I have been told that Infinity is not manufacturing Reference any more and whatever is available in the market is probably a fake (??). Now what i am looking for is suggestion as to what you would pick if you were given these options or something better in the same price range.

2) I am thinking of installing Components in the front and Co-axials in the back. Does it make any sense to install components at the back as well? Is it just a waste of money?

3) As I am hoping not to change /upgrade my HU as of now, I was advised to opt for Blaunpunkt GTA 470 DSP for its DSP features. Your views on the same please. Also are there any other options I should be considering?

4) I am still not sure on what amp should I be using for the sub and also what sub should i go for. Please advise. I think i will need around 300W RMS sub. Please correct me if worng. Also Blaunpunkt GTA 470 DSP has processed pre amp out for a mono amp so that works well for me. I dont have a big boot so am looking for a detachable & a slim manufacturer made sub+box. eg Pioneer TS-SWX3002.

5) I am not thinking of upgrading my HU as of now but just wanted everyone's views/experience with chinese HU's like Joying.

Am considering the following right now:

Front Speaker Upgrade : Infinity 6500 CX // Morel Maximo 6.5 OR ?

Rear Speaker Upgrade: Infinity 6500 IX Coaxial // Morel Maximo Coaxial OR ?

Amplifier : Blaunpunkt 470 DSP // or ?

Amp for sub ?

Subwoofer ?

Hi/Lo converter ?

Wiring Kit

Thank you all in advance.
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:47   #13409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
The way I see it, I can either upgrade the components in the front and move the existing components to the back; ...

What do you guys suggest?
This seems the best option given the circumstances. Choose your next Compos only after auditioning and make sure they satisfy your needs (clear vocals).

Good Luck.
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:05   #13410
BHPian

Dear Gurus

I have a Zest and have ICEd it u with a Sub woofer in the boot. I find that the amount of bass which percolates into the cabin is minimal and hence was looking for ways to improve it when i noted that TML had left unused cutouts for 6x9 ovals in the rear structure behind the seats (parcel shelf frame is a rough way of putting it). Since the cut outs are unused, i was wondering if i could drill it up and install two dummy 6x9 grilles so that some bass seeps into the cabin.

Since i am not an expert, i would prefer advice from experts if this is a worthwhile thing to do.

Thanks

Last edited by SAE40 in veins : 23rd February 2017 at 12:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks