Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 14:44   #13351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
When I checked the Havells site it showed 16 and 25 but no 20mm. Which one is the exact equivalent of 4ga? And are these 100% OFC?
yup you're right, it seems there is no common 20sq mm = 4ga power cable

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ick-wires.html

for more info
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 18:39   #13352
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

After much deliberation and thinking I have dropped the idea of going heavy on my Linea's audio upgrade. As of now I just want to upgrade the stock speakers for a little bit more bass. So looking at the least expensive speaker upgrade for my Linea and that would be driven by the stock HU.

Front - I was looking at the Blaupunkt 65.2 Components (@Rs2839) or Blaupunkt VC 652 comps (@4098)

Rear - Polk db 651 coax (@2939).

I have tried finding reviews and i couldnt find any. Request the members here to shed some light on the choices I have made.

Cheers!
sai
Old 16th November 2016, 19:44   #13353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
When I checked the Havells site it showed 16 and 25 but no 20mm. Which one is the exact equivalent of 4ga? And are these 100% OFC? ...
4ga / 4AWG is 21.15 sq.mm. The nearest Indian equivalent is 20sq.mm.

What is the rating of your amp? At a pinch, you can actually use 16sq.mm. without being anxious about voltage drop over that short length of cable. 25sq.mm. would be an overkill both in terms of stiffness and crimp lugs.

OFC is associated with speaker cables, not power cables which only carry DC.
Old 16th November 2016, 20:08   #13354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
... If you are ever in Delhi we can see it together!
The last I had tried, and found that it has no effect, was in 2007. I anyhow don't use equalizer or any other modifiers, neither in the iPod nor on the HU (Kenwood Excelon).

Alas, I was in Delhi for a couple of weeks in October - would have been nice to meet up. Maybe next time!
Old 16th November 2016, 20:12   #13355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
... Front - I was looking at the Blaupunkt 65.2 Components (@Rs2839) or Blaupunkt VC 652 comps (@4098) ...
The VC series is far better in terms of midbass and highs (neutral, not bright).

Quote:
... Rear - Polk db 651 coax (@2939). ...
Please audition it in a car. Polk DB series can be shrill / bright for many. You shouldn't be disappointed after buying.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 21:01   #13356
BHPian

Quote:
After much deliberation and thinking I have dropped the idea of going heavy on my Linea's audio upgrade. As of now I just want to upgrade the stock speakers for a little bit more bass. So looking at the least expensive speaker upgrade for my Linea and that would be driven by the stock HU.

Front - I was looking at the Blaupunkt 65.2 Components (@Rs2839) or Blaupunkt VC 652 comps (@4098)

Rear - Polk db 651 coax (@2939).

I have tried finding reviews and i couldnt find any. Request the members here to shed some light on the choices I have made.

Cheers!
sai
Both Blaupunkt and Polk Audio are very bright in my opinion, having had both brands in my car over the years. I would suggest the Hertz ESK series, as I found it easier on the ear. While I understand you have budgetary constraints, I would suggest you up your budget some and look seriously at the Rainbow EL C5.2. These are superb quality and available on motorheader.com for Rs. 11,690. The experience will be vastly different from what you're used to with the usually available brands (Blaupunkt, Hertz etc). You can buy something very basic for your rear fill speakers, but I'm a firm believer in investing well on the front components, to avoid "upgraditis"

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 16th November 2016 at 21:03.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 11:03   #13357
BHPian

Need your help.

I have been trying to design pods for dayton audio dc28f.

The issue is, I am trying to mount the tweeters on the a-pillars utilising pvc pipes cut to shape so that the tweeters face the headrests diagonally.

However, I have no idea as of now on how to mount these pods on the a-pillars.

Pls suggest solutions.

Attaching the pics for reference.Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6787.jpg

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6802.jpg

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6801.jpg

The other option is that I attach soehow these pods on the dashboard, somewhat like this:
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6790.jpg
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6791.jpg
Old 17th November 2016, 11:18   #13358
Senior - BHPian

I think using something spherical might make more sense. a cricket ball cut in two or 2/3d?
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 12:52   #13359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Need your help.

I have been trying to design pods for dayton audio dc28f.

The issue is, I am trying to mount the tweeters on the a-pillars utilising pvc pipes cut to shape so that the tweeters face the headrests diagonally.

However, I have no idea as of now on how to mount these pods on the a-pillars.

Pls suggest solutions.

Attaching the pics for reference.Attachment 1576081

Attachment 1576082

Attachment 1576083

The other option is that I attach soehow these pods on the dashboard, somewhat like this:
Attachment 1576084
Attachment 1576085
Is it possible to separate the tweeter from that massive base-plate? If yes, I can share pictures of my custom aluminium pods, if you can PM me your number. If you can't separate them, then you need to do some fibre-glass fabrication on your A-pillar trim.

This is routinely done by both Driven and Motor Concept in Delhi, for mounting the mid-bass unit of three-way components. This doesn't appear to be much larger than those.
Old 17th November 2016, 13:46   #13360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Attaching the pics for reference.Attachment 1576081
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Is it possible to separate the tweeter from that massive base-plate? .
It should be. Parts Express sells a truncated base plate for the same tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...eters--275-138
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 14:09   #13361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think using something spherical might make more sense. a cricket ball cut in two or 2/3d?
I have been looking for some small desktop/laptop speakers so that I could use their body to fit in these tweeters and mount them on the a pillars using nuts/screws.

Quote:
Is it possible to separate the tweeter from that massive base-plate? If yes, I can share pictures of my custom aluminium pods, if you can PM me your number. If you can't separate them, then you need to do some fibre-glass fabrication on your A-pillar trim.

This is routinely done by both Driven and Motor Concept in Delhi, for mounting the mid-bass unit of three-way components. This doesn't appear to be much larger than those.
I have PM you my number.

I am not competent enough to separate the flange from the tweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It should be. Parts Express sells a truncated base plate for the same tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...eters--275-138
THanks. I am going to give it a try. But I do not know how to separate the flanges from the body.
Old 17th November 2016, 14:32   #13362
BHPian

You can get them fiber glassed by someone for a better symmetrical shape with A pillars and also aim them better. Just my 2 cents, it wont cost that much as well and should look way better.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 17:36   #13363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The VC series is far better in terms of midbass and highs (neutral, not bright).

Please audition it in a car. Polk DB series can be shrill / bright for many. You shouldn't be disappointed after buying.
Thank you for the reply! I have heard the polk db 651 comps+coax combo (with an alipin cda117) and it is quite bright but had nice punch as well. Thought that the brightness was due to the comps up front. My idea was to compensate for the lack of bass with these polk coaxs at the rear. Whereas the comps up front will be neutral but clear.

Quote:
Both Blaupunkt and Polk Audio are very bright in my opinion, having had both brands in my car over the years. I would suggest the Hertz ESK series, as I found it easier on the ear. While I understand you have budgetary constraints, I would suggest you up your budget some and look seriously at the Rainbow EL C5.2. These are superb quality and available on motorheader.com for Rs. 11,690. The experience will be vastly different from what you're used to with the usually available brands (Blaupunkt, Hertz etc). You can buy something very basic for your rear fill speakers, but I'm a firm believer in investing well on the front components, to avoid "upgraditis"
Thank you for your reply. I would defintely try looking at the Hertz but the rainbow is clearly over my budget. That said, another reason for me to go basic is also that the speakers would be limited by the Stock HU. Beyond a point I thinkthe speakers arent going to deliver anything significant thanks to the HU.
Old 17th November 2016, 19:04   #13364
BHPian

Quote:
Beyond a point I thinkthe speakers arent going to deliver anything significant thanks to the HU.
That's not right. I've found that speakers are what counts when it comes to sound quality, even if you don't connect an amp within the setup

My point is more around investing on the right hardware once and sticking to it after. This is a lesson I learnt after spending incrementally on upgrades (and I spent a lot more than I realized incrementally) and not getting desired results. And if you love music in your car, like I do, you'll get upgraditis, unless you get stuff that satisfies what you're looking for
Old 18th November 2016, 13:15   #13365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
4ga / 4AWG is 21.15 sq.mm. The nearest Indian equivalent is 20sq.mm.

What is the rating of your amp? At a pinch, you can actually use 16sq.mm. without being anxious about voltage drop over that short length of cable. 25sq.mm. would be an overkill both in terms of stiffness and crimp lugs.

OFC is associated with speaker cables, not power cables which only carry DC.
The terminals don't seem to be big enough for 4ga but I can use gauge reducers for that.

Here are the specs of the amp:-

Power Specifications - Full Range Channels
RMS Power @ 4 ohms 50 watts x 4 channels
RMS Power @ 2 ohms 100 watts x 4 channels
Bridged RMS Power 200 watts x 2 channels
Power Specifications - Subwoofer Channel
RMS Power @ 4 ohms 200 watts x 1 channels
RMS Power @ 2 ohms 400 watts x 1 channels
Amplifier Specifications
Amplifier Class AB
Number of Channels 5
Total Peak Power Output 1400 watts
Total RMS Power Output 800 watts
Maximum Input Gauge Size 4 AWG
Minimum Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms
Minimum Impedance Bridged 4 ohms
THD at Rated RMS Power .05%
Speaker Level Inputs No
Preamp Outputs No
Built-in Crossover Low-Pass (LP)
High-Pass (HP)
Full (AP)
High-Pass Crossover Frequency 40 - 250 Hz
Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 40 - 250 Hz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 94 dB
Bass Boost 0 - 18 dB
Bass/Gain Remote Optional (Accessory required and sold separately)
Fan Cooled No
Fuse Rating 30A x 2
CEA-2006 Compliant No
Amp Bluetooth Connectivity No

I checked out the Polycab 25 sq.mm cable and it was very flexible but it had just one layer of pvc on top of the copper.

Last edited by straight6 : 18th November 2016 at 13:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks