Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2016, 22:45   #13096
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Guys, need some advice.
I am looking to install ICE in my Scorpio S4+. I am thinking of Pioneer 5890BT as the head unit, rockford fosgate speakers for front : http://www.snapdeal.com/product/rock...75s/1423153829. Any recommendations for the rear component speakers? Also are the rockford speakers good? I have read good reviews but never had the chance to listen to these.
Old 14th January 2016, 23:05   #13097
BHPian

I am having a crappy old 4 Channel amp (you guessed it, fake Alpine) powering a sub currently with only 2 channels used.

I was thinking of adding another sub and would require 2 more channels in that case. Now the problem is that I have a single RCA running from HU to rear channels of amp (i.e. one with 2 RCA connectors each side).

1. What are the possible options to get audio signals for front channels of the amp?

2. I was suggested by an ICE technician that I use RCA splitter at both ends (HU end and amp end). Do I need splitters at HU side also or will splitting from the single RCA wire at the amp side be fine? Will I lose audio quality with this method?

3. Should I run another RCA? This seems to be the simplest option but would involve opening the various panels (door sills, etc.) again. I am a DIYer by the way.

4. My amp also has something called "Line Output" which says that I can provide audio signals from Channel 3 & 4 to another amp without the need of running another RCA for it. Is it possible that I use those output points to route the current audio signals (of Ch 3 & 4) to front channels of the same amp?

I am using a JBL converter, if that helps.
Old 17th January 2016, 15:41   #13098

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

I am getting new speakers installed in my VW Polo and below mentioned is the set up I am planning to go ahead with. I have already purchased the speaker sets but I am still debating about the amplifier and subwoofer combo as my budget is strictly around 10k.

The HU has some settings options and I don't know much about all these different settings and specs., but I keep reading that the head unit should send lower frequencies to the subwoofer and not to the speakers. Anyone know what I should choose for each of the below settings?

HU:
Alpine iDA-X305
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CAMXTJS...-iDA-X305.html

Amp.:
JBL GX A644SI
http://harmanaudio.in/jbl-gx-a644si-...amplifier.html

Speakers:
Front:
Focal 165 AS
http://www.focal.com/india/access/461-165-as.html
Power Handling, RMS: 60 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 120 Watts
Sensitivity: 91.3dB
Frequency Response: 60Hz - 20kHz

Rear:
Focal 165 AC
http://www.focal.com/india/access/465-165-ac.html
Sensitivity: 91dB

Subwoofer:
Blaupunkt GTB 1200 SC
http://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/produ...s/single/5340/
Power Handling, RMS: 250 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 850 Watts
Frequency Response: 35Hz - 5000Hz

Bass Adjustment
Fo:
60Hz
80Hz
100Hz
200Hz

Q:

Treble Adjustment
Fo:
10kHz
12.5kHz
15kHz
17.5kHz

High Pass Filter Adjustment
80Hz
120Hz
160Hz
Off

Sorry for the really long post, but thanks for any help.
Old 17th January 2016, 15:50   #13099

I am getting new speakers installed in my VW Polo and below mentioned is the set up I am planning to go ahead with. I have already purchased the speaker sets but I am still debating about the amplifier and sub-woofer combo as my budget is strictly around 10k.

The HU has some settings options and I don't know much about all these different settings and specs., but I keep reading that the head unit should send lower frequencies to the subwoofer and not to the speakers. Anyone know what I should choose for each of the below settings?

HU:
Alpine iDA-X305
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CAMXTJS...-iDA-X305.html

Amp.:
JBL GX A644SI
http://harmanaudio.in/jbl-gx-a644si-...amplifier.html

Speakers:
Front:
Focal 165 AS
http://www.focal.com/india/access/461-165-as.html
Sensitivity: 91.3dB

Rear:
Focal 165 AC
http://www.focal.com/india/access/465-165-ac.html

Subwoofer:
Blaupunkt GTB 1200 SC
http://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/produ...s/single/5340/
Power Handling, RMS: 250 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 850 Watts
Frequency Response: 35Hz - 5000Hz

Bass Adjustment
Fo:
60Hz
80Hz
100Hz
200Hz

Q:

Treble Adjustment
Fo:
10kHz
12.5kHz
15kHz
17.5kHz

High Pass Filter Adjustment
80Hz
120Hz
160Hz
Off

Old 17th January 2016, 17:07   #13100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan View Post
I am getting new speakers installed in my VW Polo and below mentioned is the set up I am planning to go ahead with. I have already purchased the speaker sets but I am still debating about the amplifier and sub-woofer combo as my budget is strictly around 10k.

Q:

LPF at 60 Hz and HPF at 80 Hz would be good as your sub goes till 35 Hz and speakers can take 60 Hz. If this doesn't sound good, set it at LPF 80 Hz and HPF 80/120 Hz.

No idea about treble adjustment; ideally it should be Off. Is this setting on amplifier or HU?

I am no expert and think Q here is the level/gain. Try moving the screw/knob to highest and lowest position, it should be set such that output is on the lesser side (i.e. less gain). There is a procedure on setting gain, if you can confirm if Q is the gain/level setting, I will help you out.

If you haven't decided on the sub+amp combo, you should check out Blaupunkt GTA470SF/JBL GXA644SI/Sony 1004 and some Rockford Prime/Pioneer Champion/JBL GTX1200 in a sealed box. Should come under 10k easily.
Old 18th January 2016, 17:47   #13101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan View Post
... The HU has some settings options and I don't know much about all these different settings and specs., but I keep reading that the head unit should send lower frequencies to the subwoofer and not to the speakers. Anyone know what I should choose for each of the below settings?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
LPF at 60 Hz and HPF at 80 Hz would be good as your sub goes till 35 Hz and speakers can take 60 Hz. If this doesn't sound good, set it at LPF 80 Hz and HPF 80/120 Hz. ...
At the amp:
1. LPF 80Hz for the channels feeding the sub
2. HPF 80Hz for the channels feeding the components

That's all. Keep everything else on HU (other than volume control ) at either 0 or Off.
Old 18th January 2016, 18:21   #13102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
2. I was suggested by an ICE technician that I use RCA splitter at both ends (HU end and amp end). Do I need splitters at HU side also or will splitting from the single RCA wire at the amp side be fine? Will I lose audio quality with this method?
This
Single RCA Cable to amp, Splitter to drive both channels. Should be all you need. No, you won't lose quality
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 21:26   #13103
BHPian

Hi Audio experts! Want to ask a few basic questions about central speaker on the dash.

S Cross has space for a Central speaker on the dash, would installing a speaker here add to overall experience provided by stock 4 speakers?

Which dash speaker should be installed? Would a dash speaker interfere with bluetooth mic or affect phone call quality?

Do I need to add amp to the stock-setup for powering the dash speaker ?

The speakers in the rear doors aren't of any use and sound terribly bad. Front speakers are good. I would also like to invest replace rear speakers. I don't want a woofer in the car.

I don't wish to spend more than 5k on the entire set-up. Please advise.

Last edited by breezydrive : 18th January 2016 at 21:31. Reason: added some more questions
Old 18th January 2016, 23:09   #13104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Hi Audio experts! Want to ask a few basic questions about central speaker on the dash.

S Cross has space for a Central speaker on the dash, would installing a speaker here add to overall experience provided by stock 4 speakers?

Which dash speaker should be installed? Would a dash speaker interfere with bluetooth mic or affect phone call quality?

Do I need to add amp to the stock-setup for powering the dash speaker ?

The speakers in the rear doors aren't of any use and sound terribly bad. Front speakers are good. I would also like to invest replace rear speakers. I don't want a woofer in the car.

I don't wish to spend more than 5k on the entire set-up. Please advise.
A centre speaker makes no sense unless you wish to watch movies in the car and are going to invest in a DSP, which would put the budget way beyond your 5K limit.

As for sound quality, the only real way to achieve it is to install decent component speakers in front, which starts at around 8K for the decent makes.

I would suggest that if you wish to invest in better speakers for the rear, audition a few at your local installer and check which one sounds best to your ears, and get it installed. You'll easily find something within 5K. Avoid any centre speakers even if your local installer tries tempting you

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 18th January 2016 at 23:14.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 09:59   #13105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
Guys, need some advice.
I am looking to install ICE in my Scorpio S4+. I am thinking of Pioneer 5890BT as the head unit, rockford fosgate speakers for front : http://www.snapdeal.com/product/rock...75s/1423153829. Any recommendations for the rear component speakers? Also are the rockford speakers good? I have read good reviews but never had the chance to listen to these.

Audio gurus, any advice on this one? I'm flying back to India today and will visit the audio shop tomorrow to get the system installed.
Old 31st January 2016, 22:49   #13106
BHPian

I am planning an ICE upgrade in my 04' Baleno vxi which still has the OE Kenwood cassette player. The current setup in the car is stock (all 4 OE speakers)

My budget is around 8k for the HU and total budget for the ICE is 15k tops.
Which <10k HUs offer SQ centric sound with 3 Preouts?
Bluetooth capability would be preferred.

Sony WX GT99BT seems a decent bet with Time alignment and DAC with ~8k price. Im trying to avoid sony.

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 22:59   #13107
BANNED

Last week changed my CASKA head unit in my Fortuner with
Pioneer Avic-F70 BT. Initial impressions seems positive. Tried Mirror link /Android Auto with my Galaxy Note Edge. No success. 😕Trying to get the original Android kit now.
Attaching Pics of the same..
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-1454261210797.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-1454261238282.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-1454261256676.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-1454261260337.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-1454261280556.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-1454261309091.jpg  

Old 2nd February 2016, 01:45   #13108
BHPian

The stock 4 inch round speaker on the kwid are miserable at best .

Can they be replced with 6inch round coaxials ?
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:39   #13109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
The stock 4 inch round speaker on the kwid are miserable at best .

Can they be replced with 6inch round coaxials ?
If you can post a picture of the speaker provision, then we would be able to judge better. Since Kwid is a new launch, aftermarket ICE shops won't be knowing about the possibility of adding 6" in place of 4". If stock ones are in the doors, it might be possible to go for a larger size. Otherwise you will have to change to 4" coaxials or components (Kicker ES4 IIRC).

I don't think it would be possible without some cutting, which I don't think is good on a new car.
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:17   #13110
BHPian

So,after two years of driving around in rentals, I managed to wiggle back.

The Punto's gone and the replacement is a Dec 2011 Corolla Altis 1.8G.

The ICE has to be upgraded.

I intend to keep the stock HU.

That brings me to the following requirements:

1. Front Components (budget approx 20k)
2. Rear Ovals (max 8-9k)
3. 4 Ch Amplifier (max 12-15k)
4. Mono Amp (8-9k??)
5. Sub woofer (I am told that 8inch would be too small for Altis, hence 12 inch)
6. Damping/Wiring etc.

What I listen to:
everything from EDM to Jazz and Md. Rafi.
However, I like my bass tight and music crisp (not too bright i.e. no Jhankaar beats).

Suggestions please?

PS : Not JBL/Blaupunkt/Xplod please

Last edited by aqualeo2040 : 2nd February 2016 at 15:18. Reason: Added post script

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks