Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 13:35   #13066
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I find my components to be very sharp or clear for my taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
If sharpness is there, mostly it will be the inherent property of the tweeter itself and depending on the xover point sometimes it may be from the mid speaker also.
I agree with CMS. Often the "sharpness" comes from a bit too much energy in the 3kHz band. This is often around crossover frequency (+/- 1 octave). The sharpness can be from a "peak" in the midrange response that has not been filtered out, too much stress on the tweeter, or from the tweeter's inherent frequency response.

Try to use EQ to reduce the sharpness. Any DSP will also do the same albeit by "listening' to a reference via a microphone. You can do the same or better job be ear.

Also see the crossover of the speaker and check if there is an option to attenuate the tweeter's output.

Remember if this sharpness is inherent to the tweeter all we can do is reduce it so it is less noticeable. Doing so will also reduce all the instruments in the same frequency range but that cannot be helped.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 20:00   #13067
BHPian

Quote:
I find my components to be very sharp or clear for my taste. Crossover settings are at low and treble from HU at -2 but still sound is too sharp.

For woofer I am looking to make bass more tight.

Will DSP solve my problems?
I faced a similar issue with my earlier audio setup, and finally had to replace with components that were less bright (sharp, as you call them), and yet have exceptional clarity. Of course, this can only be ascertained by auditioning the components before you procure them. Equalizing is only a compromise solution.

Another option is to place tweeters on the kick panel, so the extreme treble is absorbed/attenuated, and does not directly assault your ears. I found even this did not work in my previous set up.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 13:27   #13068
BHPian

Hi All, During the recent Chennai flooding, I took out all my ICE kit from the car, and it was safe at home. However, a rat managed to get into my car and chewed off all the German made RCAs (AIV brand RCA cables. And may be speaker wires are gone as well- have to check). The local installers in Chennai are recommending a brand called Connect, which is a chinese make, as a replacement. Does anybody have experience with Connect, and would you rate it as a quality cable to be used for a high-end install such as mine (Flux Audio SC two-way components, Rainbow Audio DL coaxials, Rainbow iPaul 4 Channel Amp, Rainbow Beat 2 driving the sub in Bridged mode, Rainbow DL-S 12 Sub, Pioneer 5790BT HU)
Old 20th December 2015, 14:25   #13069
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Hi All, During the recent Chennai flooding, I took out all my ICE kit from the car, and it was safe at home. However, a rat managed to get into my car and chewed off all the German made RCAs (AIV brand RCA cables. And may be speaker wires are gone as well- have to check). The local installers in Chennai are recommending a brand called Connect, which is a chinese make, as a replacement. Does anybody have experience with Connect, and would you rate it as a quality cable to be used for a high-end install such as mine (Flux Audio SC two-way components, Rainbow Audio DL coaxials, Rainbow iPaul 4 Channel Amp, Rainbow Beat 2 driving the sub in Bridged mode, Rainbow DL-S 12 Sub, Pioneer 5790BT HU)
Looking at your ice equipments I feel you should invest in top quality wires again to get the best result. Strongly feel the cheaper wires might not be able to give the same quality that you would have experienced before.
Old 21st December 2015, 22:24   #13070
BHPian

Hi everyone, I will be getting a new S-Cross soon and I am interested in upgrading the stock speakers that come with the car. Maruti Suzuki is offering audio products from Hertz in their accessories list and I have received the following quote for the same:-
Hertz DBA 200.3 Active Subwoofer with built in 140W amp :- Rs. 17.5k
Hertz ESK 165.5 Components:- Rs. 6490
Hertz ECX 165.5 Coaxials:- Rs.3990
Should I go ahead with this purchase? Also, do I need to add an amp to power the 4 speakers?
Please let me know, Thank You
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:18   #13071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Hi everyone, I will be getting a new S-Cross soon and I am interested in upgrading the stock speakers that come with the car. Maruti Suzuki is offering audio products from Hertz in their accessories list and I have received the following quote for the same:-
Should I go ahead with this purchase? Also, do I need to add an amp to power the 4 speakers?
ICE depends on your personal taste. What kind of music do you enjoy listening to? The hertz ESK components will be very bright sounding and without an amp it will be more so.
I would stay away from dealer offered accessories, over priced for sure. Also lots of fake hertz products on the market.
P.S: A nice 4 channel amp, a component speaker with silk dome tweeters and a sealed woofer any day!
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:52   #13072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
ICE depends on your personal taste. What kind of music do you enjoy listening to? The hertz ESK components will be very bright sounding and without an amp it will be more so.
I would stay away from dealer offered accessories, over priced for sure. Also lots of fake hertz products on the market.
P.S: A nice 4 channel amp, a component speaker with silk dome tweeters and a sealed woofer any day!
I personally like listening to EDM/Trance music majorly with some bollywood tracks sometimes while my dad preders classic bollywood tracks. I am going to check the prices outside and make sure that the dealer one's aren't overpriced. The dealer did have an S Cross with these components installed and I did take a trial and they sounded good to me. So should I go for them? Or there are better options for this price?
Also, which four channel amp(not very expensive) would be good for these speakers?
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:37   #13073
BHPian

Quote:
I personally like listening to EDM/Trance music majorly with some bollywood tracks sometimes while my dad preders classic bollywood tracks. I am going to check the prices outside and make sure that the dealer one's aren't overpriced. The dealer did have an S Cross with these components installed and I did take a trial and they sounded good to me. So should I go for them? Or there are better options for this price?
Also, which four channel amp(not very expensive) would be good for these speakers?
Try to audition Focal,you might like them better. And if you put a 4 channel amp you would get the best out of your speakers and your options can be in brands like jbl,focal and hertz.
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:03   #13074
BHPian

Quote:
I listen majority of the times to Trance and Techno music. I can tell you stay away from active subwoofer.

Instead go for standalone amp and woofer setup, moreover check if bass is going low enough. Best bet is audition with Martin Roth mixed tracks or Eric Prydz tunes.

If you like music from Hardwell, Tiesto etc. then no such requirement as EDM is nothing but Pop with bass.
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:09   #13075
BHPian

Quote:
I listen majority of the times to Trance and Techno music. I can tell you stay away from active subwoofer.

Instead go for standalone amp and woofer setup, moreover check if bass is going low enough. Best bet is audition with Martin Roth mixed tracks or Eric Prydz tunes.

If you like music from Hardwell, Tiesto etc. then no such requirement as EDM is nothing but Pop with bass.
Can you let me know why is the active woofer not preferable? Apart from EDM/Trance, I do listen to other genres( Bollywood etc)
Just wanted to know why I shouldn't go for an active woofer compared to an amp+woofer setup
Old 22nd December 2015, 19:29   #13076
BHPian

Quote:
If you liked the sound of Hertz then buy it from the dealer, and rest from outside.
I suggest a woofer preferably 10 inch or 12 in a sealed box for tight and fast low frequency response.
The woofer can be powered by bridging 2 rear channels of a 4 channel amp and the front channels will power the components. By my experience woofers with built-in amp tend to not fare well in frequencies below 40 hertz (the frequencies you feel more than you hear), they are just loud in the 90-100 hertz region thus coloring the sound.
P.S: JBL gto 804ez is a fantastic VFM amp. But if you want to buy an amp with future upgrade in mind go for the infinity kappa four.
Old 26th December 2015, 18:44   #13077
Senior - BHPian

Gurus Quick help

I plan to use a sony 4inch coaxial in the front and a JBL GTO 509C compos at the rear. I also plan to use a 4 channel blaupunkt amp.

My installer is telling me, that adding an ammp is a waste as the speakers will be at the stock location in santro and cannot achieve much clarity or gain.

thoughts please. Anyway, I plan to have a mono bloc / 2 channel amp with a sub.
Old 26th December 2015, 22:34   #13078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Gurus Quick help

I plan to use a sony 4inch coaxial in the front and a JBL GTO 509C compos at the rear. I also plan to use a 4 channel blaupunkt amp.

My installer is telling me, that adding an ammp is a waste as the speakers will be at the stock location in santro and cannot achieve much clarity or gain.

thoughts please. Anyway, I plan to have a mono bloc / 2 channel amp with a sub.
The proper placement is Components in front and coax in the rear. The suggested approach is to use coax speakers of the same make at the rear. Also, if you are going to use a sub as well, then buy a 4 channel amp, power the front components with the front 2 channels, and power the sub with the rear 2 channels bridged. The coax speakers at the back can be powered off the head unit. As for sound clarity, it depends on how good the installer is at placing the tweeters and tuning the amp.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 22:36   #13079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.blore View Post
Looking at your ice equipments I feel you should invest in top quality wires again to get the best result. Strongly feel the cheaper wires might not be able to give the same quality that you would have experienced before.
Agreed. I found a guy who stocks Scosche wiring in Chennai, which is as good as the best European makes. So I'll be getting the reinstall done by this person
Old 27th December 2015, 09:36   #13080
BHPian

I have a Fluidic verna with the following setup:
1. Rainbow germanium gl c6.2
2. Flux FS 100.4

Currently running on stock head unit. I wanted to know if I can retain the stock HU and run a DAC like Fiio X3 and still get good SQ. My main goal is to achieve a flat response playback. Would this be ideal or should I upgrade my HU?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks