Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 13:38   #12961
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
I would suggest ditch any speakers on the rear. 80PRS is a very capable head unit and you can straightaway go active. They will badly hamper the SQ.
Kapps's are good. retain them as you your main front component speakers and run them active from the head unit and the amp. Similarly run the subwoofer active from the HU via the mono. If you are not happy with the Kappa you can upgrade. Do damp the front doors where you have mounted the midbass.
80PRS offers good tuning options with various active crossover and slope options, 13 band individual equalizer for left and right channels and important time alignment for each driver. It also boasts individual 24 bit burr brown DACs on each of it source (CD/USB/Aux)
Thank you . I need the rear speakers as I often go on long trips with 4 people in the car . I am happy with kappas but thought of getting something better to boost the front sound image and move them to rear . Although I was sceptical about having components in the rear but my installer has assured me of a non intrusive sound clarity in the front . I am not sure what it means by going active will read about it and try understand more . I have read excellent reviews about the 80prs was just not sure if I would be able to do justice to the capabilities it possess but no harm in trying .
Do you think I can have rear components and front components (focal /rainbow) and achieve a SQ sound setup or i should look at getting better coaxials for the rear .
All the four doors are damped using STP and some local material will see if it needs to be redone .
Old 28th October 2015, 14:10   #12962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
I would suggest ditch any speakers on the rear. 80PRS is a very capable head unit and you can straightaway go active. They will badly hamper the SQ.
Kapps's are good. retain them as you your main front component speakers and run them active from the head unit and the amp. Similarly run the subwoofer active from the HU via the mono. If you are not happy with the Kappa you can upgrade. Do damp the front doors where you have mounted the midbass.
80PRS offers good tuning options with various active crossover and slope options, 13 band individual equalizer for left and right channels and important time alignment for each driver. It also boasts individual 24 bit burr brown DACs on each of it source (CD/USB/Aux)
I have rear speakers in my scorpio, which complement the front speakers well (Flux Audio SC260 compos in front and Rainbow Audio Dreamline coax in the rear. It's all about how the set up is tuned. My only suggestion would be to buy a Pio 5790BT in India. It's a Double DIN Touchscreen HU which is cheaper than the DEH 80prs , and so looks better in the dash, and comes with all audiophile features (Crossover, Time Alignment etc.). Also, it has the usual Pio touchscreen HU goodies, being able to interface with phones etc. I'm using this HU and find it far more practical than a single DIN HU.
Old 28th October 2015, 14:58   #12963
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
I have rear speakers in my scorpio, which complement the front speakers well (Flux Audio SC260 compos in front and Rainbow Audio Dreamline coax in the rear. It's all about how the set up is tuned. My only suggestion would be to buy a Pio 5790BT in India. It's a Double DIN Touchscreen HU which is cheaper than the DEH 80prs , and so looks better in the dash, and comes with all audiophile features (Crossover, Time Alignment etc.). Also, it has the usual Pio touchscreen HU goodies, being able to interface with phones etc. I'm using this HU and find it far more practical than a single DIN HU.
I am getting the 80prs from USA which costs me 16kINR which works out cheaper than pio 5790BT (21-22k) .And all the reviews put the 80PRS as a much better HU when it comes to SQ and tuning capabilities.All though I will be missing out on the looks of a cleaner and blingier dashboard but I think if done properly the single din would look with additional storage space .
I don't have an impressive set of speakers such as yours , that's why plan to move my kappa components to rear and a get a better set of front components.

OT : How do you find your Flux components in comparison to flux / rainbow.
Old 28th October 2015, 15:20   #12964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Yes keeping a close eye on this, saw one for sale few days back but at that time had no intention of going through with this.

Yes I don't like to do too much of tuning hence need something simple. Not really sure what you mean. Can you please elaborate.

I was talking about this unit.

Lc6i with an additional bass control knob and wire.
http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audi...-upgrade/lc6i/

Or
Lc7i with an additional bass control knob and wire.
http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audi...-upgrade/lc7i/

Remember they dont come with Bass Knobs as default, so you need to get them separately specific for these units.

The main difference between 6i and 7i is that the latter has bass restoration facility. All the new factory stereos cut bass after certain volume. The Lc7i smartly manages the restoration of bass.

For the above a proper installer is recommended who is familiar with Audiocontrol.

Additionally it kills two birds with one stone. The is one of the best hi to low signal converter in the market. So you are guaranteed a pure signal.

The other two option of controlling bass..

1. Get an amp with separate bass control knob. So that can be handed from the driver seat.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-GM-D8601.html

2. OR Get a Universal RCA gain level controller in between the external hi to low converter and sub woofer amplifier. Something like this.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...xess-AALC.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.blore View Post
I own a Duster and I am trying to achieve decent SQ ICE setup in steps .
So after reading multiple ice threads in t-bhp and other forums I have decided to upgrade the Duster HU and selected the Pioneer 80prs . It will be hand carried by my cousin from USA.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-80...=pioneer+80prs

Now my question is how will the single din system look when fit in double din slot . And will this system be an overkill for my setup below shall I stick to the pioneer double din systems like 2790bt available in India .

Rest of the system -
Front components - Infinity kappa 60.11cs
rear coaxials - Polk 5.25
sub woofer - cerwin vega vmax 124
Mono Amp - cerwin vega xed 500.1
4 ch amp - Acustika 90.1 (Will be replaced after 6 months )

The only other change planned to the above setup is to get rid of the Polk coaxials , move the kappas to rear and have a focal (flax/integration) components in the front .
Honestly 80prs is an overkill unless you are a pure SQ nut. And tuning it can be mental on a small screen and volume control buttons. You better leave the tuning to a well know SQ guy who has already worked on 80prs...

The newer units like the one you posted has many features similar to the 80prs and a lot more other options. I strongly suggest 2790BT.

And if you are going 80prs, I would suggest Focal K2Power speakers or Utopia to get the best out of that headunit. Which also means you need amplifiers that has to be in the highest quality.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th October 2015 at 08:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
general_neo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 17:11   #12965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
Honestly 80prs is an overkill unless you are a pure SQ nut. And tuning it can be mental on a small screen and volume control buttons. You better leave the tuning to a well know SQ guy who has already worked on 80prs...

The newer units like the one you posted has many features similar to the 80prs and a lot more other options. I strongly suggest 2790BT.

And if you are going 80prs, I would suggest Focal K2Power speakers or Utopia to get the best out of that headunit. Which also means you need amplifiers that has to be in the highest quality.
2790bBT was my intial choice,but 80PRS came into picture as my cousin is coming back from USA and is willing to carry it from there . I certainly don't plan to install utopia/k2 power speakers but want to upgrade the front components to something better than kappa. Do you think kappa components at the rear and front components (TBD) would be good enough for a decent setup. Thanks.
Old 28th October 2015, 17:34   #12966
BHPian

Quote:
2790bBT was my intial choice,but 80PRS came into picture as my cousin is coming back from USA and is willing to carry it from there . I certainly don't plan to install utopia/k2 power speakers but want to upgrade the front components to something better than kappa. Do you think kappa components at the rear and front components (TBD) would be good enough for a decent setup. Thanks.
80PRS was a great head unit few years back. But the new 2790bt can do 80% of what 80PRS can do in terms of tuning. Please dont look at the cost alone as 80PRS is a single din CD player that can play Mp3s with BT feature. But 2790 had ton of other features which is practically useful. And You can tune the 2790 is few minutes which the 80PRS can be really awful at times as you have to navigate the settings with via buttons compared to 2790bt. And the biggest advantage on 80PRS is the 3way Active setup which Pure SQ guys go for which you wont use either.

I am not putting down the 80PRS, Its a good headunit but its almost obsolete in terms of features and overall benefit compared to 2790bt.

I know this is confusing you right now.. but think about long term, features, practicality, benefits, ergonomics...
Old 28th October 2015, 17:52   #12967
BHPian

Quote:
80PRS was a great head unit few years back. But the new 2790bt can do 80% of what 80PRS can do in terms of tuning. Please dont look at the cost alone as 80PRS is a single din CD player that can play Mp3s with BT feature. But 2790 had ton of other features which is practically useful. And You can tune the 2790 is few minutes which the 80PRS can be really awful at times as you have to navigate the settings with via buttons compared to 2790bt. And the biggest advantage on 80PRS is the 3way Active setup which Pure SQ guys go for which you wont use either.

I am not putting down the 80PRS, Its a good headunit but its almost obsolete in terms of features and overall benefit compared to 2790bt.

I know this is confusing you right now.. but think about long term, features, practicality, benefits, ergonomics...
It does make sense to go for 2790BT purely because I will not be able to use the 80PRS to full potential anyways and that's the reason I wanted suggestions from gurus here and of course there are other benefits as mentioned by you.
And is it a good idea to have the kappa comps at rear replacing the Polk coaxials and install a pair of rainbow/focal/morel/dynaaudio component at the front.
Old 28th October 2015, 18:07   #12968
BHPian

Are you into pure Sq.. i mean imaging, staging, tonal accuracy etc... thus only listening from front speakers.
I am asking this bcoz when you are alone in the car and if you listen to only front speakers then it doesn't matter what goes in the rear.
So if you have listeners in the back, you can turn the fader and they will get an overall benefit from the combination of front component and rear coax.

This is cost effective.

Now if you want to put component in the rear it not a problem. Just install it properly so the tweeter are mounted correctly.

I generally discourage different brand of speakers from getting mixed up in the front and back.
I mean if you have kappa in the back, have kappa in the front. Or have focal in the front and back. . Similar series. Good luck.
Old 28th October 2015, 22:46   #12969
BANNED

Which Amplifier

Hi All,

I own a Ertiga and currently have a AVH-279BT with combination of polk Component front and Infinity reference speakers at back.

These Speakers are 6 months old and the amp PIONEER GM-6300F- 600w is 8 years old, last week one side speakers stopped working ,upon investigating it looks like there is a problem with AMP.

So now i want to know if i should repair it and use or Use an old amp lying at my home (Sony 502 - 250 w - 2 channel) or buy a new one, and if a new one which one should i buy. I am not keen on sony and i dont have any idea on the new brands.

I need a good amp which can give good dept in base or something better than what i was using.

Please suggest , My budget is 7-8k , can extend little if i get a good one

BTW can i buy a MONO Amp ,what is the difference ?

Last edited by joshguy : 28th October 2015 at 22:48.
Old 29th October 2015, 08:31   #12970
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting the 80prs from USA which costs me 16kINR which works out cheaper than pio 5790BT (21-22k) .And all the reviews put the 80PRS as a much better HU when it comes to SQ and tuning capabilities.All though I will be missing out on the looks of a cleaner and blingier dashboard but I think if done properly the single din would look with additional storage space .
I don't have an impressive set of speakers such as yours , that's why plan to move my kappa components to rear and a get a better set of front components.

OT : How do you find your Flux components in comparison to flux / rainbow.
I absolutely love my Flux Audio setup. I've posted a complete review of it on here, which you should check out, including a video, in which, though shot on a phone, you can clearly make out the SQ and Sound Stage. The only issue I can see with your moving components to the rear is sound stage, and compatibility with chosen front components.
Old 30th October 2015, 07:28   #12971
BANNED

Re: Which Amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

I own a Ertiga and currently have a AVH-279BT with combination of polk Component front and Infinity reference speakers at back.

These Speakers are 6 months old and the amp PIONEER GM-6300F- 600w is 8 years old, last week one side speakers stopped working ,upon investigating it looks like there is a problem with AMP.

So now i want to know if i should repair it and use or Use an old amp lying at my home (Sony 502 - 250 w - 2 channel) or buy a new one, and if a new one which one should i buy. I am not keen on sony and i dont have any idea on the new brands.

I need a good amp which can give good dept in base or something better than what i was using.

Hi Gurus

Awaiting the advise
Old 30th October 2015, 08:20   #12972
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

My suggestion is that you go to a good store and audition different amps in your budget range to decide. It all depends on your ear.
Old 30th October 2015, 10:31   #12973
BHPian

Re: Which Amplifier

Quote:
Hi All,

in your budget you can get JBL / cerwin vega 4 channel amp . If you extend your budget you can get even better amps. What would be the power for your Polk components ideally your amp should be able to supply them with equivalent power. If you don't have a subwoofer or plans of using one then you can use the 4 channel amp to power both front components and rear speakers.

Not sure about the technicality of the mono amp but normally used to pair it with a sub to get the best out of it .
Old 30th October 2015, 10:34   #12974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
I absolutely love my Flux Audio setup. I've posted a complete review of it on here, which you should check out, including a video, in which, though shot on a phone, you can clearly make out the SQ and Sound Stage. The only issue I can see with your moving components to the rear is sound stage, and compatibility with chosen front components.
Thanks. I have decided to retain the kappas and would replace the coaxials (got a friend who is willing to buy them at a good price ) and get the pioneer 2790bt. Will change the components to flux/rainbow at a later stage if required after I get a chance to audition them.
Old 30th October 2015, 10:53   #12975
BHPian

Quote:
Are you into pure Sq.. i mean imaging, staging, tonal accuracy etc... thus only listening from front speakers.
I am asking this bcoz when you are alone in the car and if you listen to only front speakers then it doesn't matter what goes in the rear.
So if you have listeners in the back, you can turn the fader and they will get an overall benefit from the combination of front component and rear coax.

This is cost effective.

Now if you want to put component in the rear it not a problem. Just install it properly so the tweeter are mounted correctly.

I generally discourage different brand of speakers from getting mixed up in the front and back.
I mean if you have kappa in the back, have kappa in the front. Or have focal in the front and back. . Similar series. Good luck.
I have decided to get the pio 2790bt locally. Any suggestions for coaxials compatible with sound signature of kappa components.
Although I am not aware of the technical terms mentioned by you but definitely want a SQ setup in my car. I am pretty new to this but definitely would love to understand the technicalities more and achieve a decent setup without having to spend a bomb . Thanks for your help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks