Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:46   #12901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Go to any accessories dealer and ask for a "harness adapter" for your car model. The sockets that you see at the end of the bunch of cables are standard sockets for your model of the car. The "harness adapter" provides a plug with multi-colored wires sticking out, which are mated with the connector supplied with the HU.

Do use a heat-shrink tube on the joint after soldering the wires, instead of using insulation tape. Saves a lot of headaches in the long run.
Thank you! Got the adapter plus a radio antenna pin as well!

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20150722_184226001.jpg
Old 29th July 2015, 22:53   #12902
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Dear All,

I need some help. I bought the lovely Fiat Punto Emotion two months back, Although i am quite happy with the stock system ( comes with components in the front ), i want some low end punch. I listed out some options below:

1. Blaupunkt GTB 8200 Active Sub - fitted with an Line Out connector
2. Separate Amplifier and a Sub.

Which one should i go for ? My budget cannot exceed 12k at any cost. Please help me as i am unable to decide and i am a noob in car audio.

Is the Blaupunkt Worth it ? I heard that now the quality is not that great and it wont produce a good punchy bass compared to a separate Sub.

Please help / advise

Thanks
Aditya
Old 30th July 2015, 02:22   #12903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Dear All,

I need some help. I bought the lovely Fiat Punto Emotion two months back, Although i am quite happy with the stock system ( comes with components in the front ), i want some low end punch. I listed out some options below:

1. Blaupunkt GTB 8200 Active Sub - fitted with an Line Out connector
2. Separate Amplifier and a Sub.

Which one should i go for ? My budget cannot exceed 12k at any cost. Please help me as i am unable to decide and i am a noob in car audio.

Is the Blaupunkt Worth it ? I heard that now the quality is not that great and it wont produce a good punchy bass compared to a separate Sub.

Please help / advise

Thanks
Aditya
I owned a GTB 8A, which is from the same family of subs. It was OK for my Nano, but will be no good in a Punto, considering that the interiors are larger and more plush. Suggest you visit a good installer ( Motor Concept if you're from Delhi NCR), and get a well-matched sub and amp combo. I suggest Motor Concept because Aman will make sure he creates a custom enclosure, by sizing it to the needs of the bass demands of the sort of music you listen to. Alternatively, Kicker has a very good powered sub.

The best, however, is always an Amp+Sub with custom enclosure
Old 31st July 2015, 19:16   #12904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Although i am quite happy with the stock system ( comes with components in the front ), i want some low end punch. I listed out some options below: ...
Separate sub (JBL, Polk, Blaupunkt etc.) in a sealed box and a 4 channel amp. You will be able to manage it in 12K budget.

What you were ignoring, and you should never, was not amplifying the front channels at least while adding a sub. In an OE system without external amplifier AND a sub, sometimes you will get to hear only the sub, instead of the low-end punch that you expect!!! With the 4 channel amp, connect the front speakers to the A channels, and connect the sub across the (bridged) B channels of the amp.

Get the amp gain tuned (with the HU volume control in a position that you normally hear the OE system at) in such a way that:
1. The front channels are slightly louder than the rear (continues on the HU)
2. You can detect the sub's absence, but not it's presence
Old 31st July 2015, 21:46   #12905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Hi,

I was thinking of changing the front speakers of the Jetta to something better. The only one I could find that would be a PnP is the Focal 165VW. I see these on ebay at around 6700/- a pair and the components for around 12.5k per pair.

Firstly, wanted to check if they can be bought off ebay, as I have heard that there are a lot of fakes in car speakers today. Secondly, at these prices do other speakers make sense?

My current setup is that I have changed the existing system to a Dynavin. The rest is the stocks etup. Only 2 speakers and two tweeters in the front. No rear speakers.
There are quite a few good installers in Bangalore who sell Focals. One I have worked with and is OK is Torque, at the end of Jeevan Bima Nagar main road, just off 80 ft road. For car audio, I'm a firm believer in buying at a brick & Mortar store, and preferably one that lets me audition the speakers before I buy them. Don't make up your mind by brand or what people say. Listen for yourself and decide if it suits your expectations
Old 31st July 2015, 22:02   #12906
BHPian

Please tell me how good / bad is what I picked up.
My requirement was to have a decent clarity music and wanted to change both stereo and speakers that came as complimentary years back.
So picked up the below last month -
Stereo - Pioneer DEH-X1790UB
Speakers - JBL I think the model is CX 62SI

one stereo and 4 speakers for INR 10 K. The sound and clarity is suited to my requirement. Would like to hear from you experts on how would you rate these products?
Old 31st July 2015, 22:16   #12907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Please tell me how good / bad is what I picked up.
My requirement was to have a decent clarity music and wanted to change both stereo and speakers that came as complimentary years back.
So picked up the below last month -
Stereo - Pioneer DEH-X1790UB
Speakers - JBL I think the model is CX 62SI

one stereo and 4 speakers for INR 10 K. The sound and clarity is suited to my requirement. Would like to hear from you experts on how would you rate these products?
If it suits your requirement, you should not require anyone's opinion on how good or bad the setup is.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 22:20   #12908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
If it suits your requirement, you should not require anyone's opinion on how good or bad the setup is.
Thanx, I know but i still would like to know how good that product is. I don't know much into these. so would be good to know others perspective on alternative products which also would have suited my requirements.
Old 1st August 2015, 00:25   #12909
BHPian

Quote:
Separate sub (JBL, Polk, Blaupunkt etc.) in a sealed box and a 4 channel amp. You will be able to manage it in 12K budget.

What you were ignoring, and you should never, was not amplifying the front channels at least while adding a sub. In an OE system without external amplifier AND a sub, sometimes you will get to hear only the sub, instead of the low-end punch that you expect!!! With the 4 channel amp, connect the front speakers to the A channels, and connect the sub across the (bridged) B channels of the amp.

Get the amp gain tuned (with the HU volume control in a position that you normally hear the OE system at) in such a way that:
1. The front channels are slightly louder than the rear (continues on the HU)
2. You can detect the sub's absence, but not it's presence
Thank you so much. I will select and list the details of the selected stuff here as soon as i am done with it. I still haven't spoken to any dealer for price. Lets hope it falls under my budget.
Old 10th August 2015, 15:00   #12910
BHPian

Finally the time has come when I am going for a sub and an amp . I have chosen the blaupunkt GTA 470 SF and the blaupunkt GTB 1200 SC sealed sub. The amp is costing me around 6k and the sub for around 4.5k. Is it a good deal. As mentioned in my previous posts , 15k is my budget and the setup is for a Fiat punto evo. Please suggest if both my options are good enough.

Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 14:21   #12911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have chosen the blaupunkt GTA 470 SF and the blaupunkt GTB 1200 SC sealed sub. ...
Nice.

You will need to buy RCA cables, Line Output / Hi-lo Converter, speaker wires, power wires and fuse assembly (in-line fuse to feed the amp directly from battery).
Old 11th August 2015, 14:53   #12912
BHPian

Quote:
Nice.

You will need to buy RCA cables, Line Output / Hi-lo Converter, speaker wires, power wires and fuse assembly (in-line fuse to feed the amp directly from battery).
Thank you sir. So these are the things which are confirmed.

1. Blaupunkt GTA 470 SF 4 channel amplifier
2. Blaupunkt GTB 1200 SC sealed sub.
3. Amplifier wiring kit from focal
4. Rockford fosgate 4 channel hi-lo converter.
5. All other misc items

I am getting the install done tomorrow.

Regards
Aditya
Old 11th August 2015, 17:43   #12913
BHPian

Hi, as is usual in this forum, I have decided to increase my budget to upgrade my swift dzire's stock music system. I had sought advice on budget speakers upgrade on another thread.

I am getting good prices in the ongoing snapdeal sale. I request for suggestion for front components, rear coaxial (6.5), a 2 or 4 channel amp and a subwoofer within 12-13 k budget. I think the stock Nippon HU has one preout and 45 w x 4 configuration

I am getting blaupunkt gt power 65.2 components @ 2250, jbl cs62 si coaxial @ 1600, blaupunkt 2 channel ema 255, 330 watt amp @ 2900 and a blaupunkt sub gt1200sc(12inch boxed sub) @ 3500. A 4 channel amp of same brand is around 4000. If 2 channel amp serves the purpose of powering front comp and sub, i will go for 2 channel one. If any wiring is required, suggest some good budget option along with price.

Components are 3 ohm while coax is 4 ohm , will it cause problem? I don't want to change stock Nippon HU at this moment.I mostly listen to Bollywood songs both old and new and dislike loud thumping sound coming from others cars so want the bass to improve sound experience but not disturb the neighbourhood.

Please comment on my configuration ( and tuning part)and you can suggest changes or improvements in some parts while delaying some items for future keeping budget of 10-12 in mind.
I am a complete newbie wrt ICE.

Last edited by rock75 : 11th August 2015 at 17:53.
Old 11th August 2015, 23:06   #12914
BHPian

Just an update on my search for a proper setup. I thought of asking Aman at Motor concepts. Got the contacts from the TBHP directory. Called him up, confirmed the location and went to meet him.

He showed me a couple of options which were a bit above my budget ( 15k). But he said that we can work something out.

Today also i had a word with him and he told me the following equipment which he recommends:

1. Cerwin Vega XED 600.4 four channel Amp
2. Lighting Audio 150W Sub in a ported / sealed enclosure ( He didnt know the model number of the sub. he offered to open the box and check the details but i refused as i was not sure of this sub. If anyone has any clue, please let me know whether it is good or not.
3. Cerwin Vega Wiring Kit
4. Rockford Fosgate 2 channel hi-lo converter

Frankly i have no clue about cerwin vega. The only thing i know is that they make loudspeakers but i am not sure of their expertise in car audio.

Lastly, Aman also mentioned that the Lighting Audio Sub can be used with a 4 channel as well as a mono amp. Is there a difference in Subs as such ? I am sorry but i am a noob in car audio.

Many people including aman and Driven informed me that the Stock components which come in the punto evo cannot be connected to the amp as they wont be able to handle it . Can something be done regarding this ?

As posted earlier , this is what i have finalised till now and probably will go ahead with it tomorrow.

1. Blaupunkt GTA 470 SF amp
2. Blaupunkt GTB 1200 SC sealed sub
3. Focal Wiring kit
4. Rockford Fosgate 4 channel hi-lo converter.

@DerAlte sir, can you please help. Thanks

Regards

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 11th August 2015 at 23:07. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 12th August 2015, 18:38   #12915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
... If 2 channel amp serves the purpose of powering front comp and sub, i will go for 2 channel one. ...
You shouldn't do that with a 2 channel - one can't tune the sub, and going loud will take amp to thermal cut-out. A 4 channel is the right way to go, justifying the price difference.

Quote:
... Frankly i have no clue about cerwin vega. ...
Old company, products are not bad. I wouldn't buy their amp - lack of local support (I don't believe dealers' / installers' words on that) would put me in trouble if something goes wrong.

Quote:
... Lastly, Aman also mentioned that the Lighting Audio Sub can be used with a 4 channel as well as a mono amp. Is there a difference in Subs as such ? I am sorry but i am a noob in car audio. ...
At the level that you will normally use your system, it doesn't matter. Different matter for SPL systems, which I am sure you are not planning. If you want to know what a good SPL system is, I recommend that you audition the system in the car of dear @low_bass_makker (he is in Faridabad) - it will be a revelation for you!

Quote:
... Many people including aman and Driven informed me that the Stock components which come in the punto evo cannot be connected to the amp as they wont be able to handle it . Can something be done regarding this ? ...
Sure, there is a limit to which economical OE drivers can be pushed (they distort when pushed hard, and anyone can make that out). Why do they assume that everyone is interested only in PA-system-like loud music in their car? At normal listening volumes, even with windows open, the OE components will be able to handle the 1-30W that the amp will usually supply.

Please stick to your original plan.

Most Viewed