Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 16:03   #12451
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Swift with dual sub box in boot = no space left in boot!!!
hehe.. yes, but i don't use it anyway so..

i was thinking of one more option which could save me some serious cash.
instead of 2Amps.. ONE 5-ch Amp Infinity - Kappa Five Five-Channel Class-D which is around 16K http://www.snapdeal.com/product/infi...-classd/659141
and get 1 Infinity - Kappa 120.9w as of now.

or i can get this mono amp JBL - GX-A3011SI - Mono Channel Subwoofer Amplifier around 7.5K http://www.snapdeal.com/product/jbl-...fer/1753852692
this amp will be sufficient to drive one Kappa 120.9w sub i guess.

so, if i choose 5ch Infinity - Kappa amp then 16K+11K for the Sub=27K or

4ch amp JBL - JBL - GTO 804EZ then 9.5K + mono amp JBL - GX-A3011SI 7.5K i.e. 17K + 11K for the sub = 28K

both are almost equal in cost. but the jbl 4ch amp is more powerful(100W RMS x 4 channels at 2 ohms) at the same time infinity amp is class D amp (i have heard that they are better than A/B) but with less power(75W RMS x 4).

Both amp give 300W RMS x 1, at 2 ohms for the Sub.

what do you suggest?

or should i spent extra on JBL - GTO 751EZ - Mono Channel Amplifier (1200 W) and add an extra sub later. but it will be 5K extra. is it worth?

Damn i am confused :(
Old 6th March 2014, 16:09   #12452
BHPian

Re: Need Woofer Advice URGENT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I run this Woofer set-up in my car with Mono and Bass/Punch is too good. Just make sure you get a good Amp to realize the true bass of this set-up.
thank you for your suggestion. it is sold out as of now but the price is 14.5K after discount?? the last i checked it was 20K after discount about 2-3days back
Old 6th March 2014, 16:56   #12453
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Has anyone tried Passive radiators in car audio instead of ported?
Old 6th March 2014, 17:09   #12454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantv2003 View Post
... Damn i am confused :(
1. *Stop* looking at numbers. More power is not really necessary, nor are larger published numbers better. If you need LOUD - any amplifier can do it. Beyond 30W, just about any amp can go really loud even with windows open. What matters is when it distorts. Yes, an 80W amp will go a bit louder than a 60W, but 60W itself can make most people squirm & ask you to reduce volume

2. If you can, sit and listen to a good system in another car (not Sony Pio wala boofer, but other brands) and check how loud is loud - and check their amp rating

3. A Kenwood KAC-M846 4-channel amp + JBL 3011 mono will save you a few K

4. You will need to set aside a couple of K for box, cables and installation
Old 6th March 2014, 21:16   #12455
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Woofer Advice URGENT!!!

Quote:
thank you for your suggestion. it is sold out as of now but the price is 14.5K after discount?? the last i checked it was 20K after discount about 2-3days back
Sorry, i was talking of Single speaker one with Mono Amplifier, which is showing as Rs 8300.
Old 7th March 2014, 16:03   #12456
BHPian

Is it possible to get this http://www.snapdeal.com/product/polk...12-dual/638599 inside swift 2010 make boot(not desire but swift)?
Old 7th March 2014, 19:10   #12457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
both are almost equal in cost. but the jbl 4ch amp is more powerful(100W RMS x 4 channels at 2 ohms) at the same time infinity amp is class D amp (i have heard that they are better than A/B) but with less power(75W RMS x 4).

Both amp give 300W RMS x 1, at 2 ohms for the Sub.

what do you suggest?
Go for the class D. Not because class D is better than AB but because it is more efficient, which is important for ICE.
As for the power ratings, it is practically impossible to hear a difference between a 75 watts amp versus a 100 watts amp. Power needs to be doubled for a human ear to detect a change in volume. You would need to be confused only if you were looking at 75 watts versus 150 watts or more.
Old 7th March 2014, 19:41   #12458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Go for the class D. Not because class D is better than AB but because it is more efficient, which is important for ICE.
As for the power ratings, it is practically impossible to hear a difference between a 75 watts amp versus a 100 watts amp. Power needs to be doubled for a human ear to detect a change in volume. You would need to be confused only if you were looking at 75 watts versus 150 watts or more.
Long time no see in the ICE forums sir!

The Infinity is by far better than the JBL's. The only thing I'd be worried about is the longevity/Repairability of Class D amps. Once they die out of warranty, they are useless. But then, it is cheap . Sorry to add to your confusion!
Old 7th March 2014, 21:19   #12459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Long time no see in the ICE forums sir!

The Infinity is by far better than the JBL's. The only thing I'd be worried about is the longevity/Repairability of Class D amps....
Ha ha, long time no see?

The Infinity is better because it is made by a company that is better, not necessarily because it is class D!
And anyway, this is all subjective. I haven't heard either one of the amps in question!
Old 8th March 2014, 20:06   #12460
BHPian

Thank you DerAlte, shamanth, anupmathur and greenhorn for your suggestions

Actually, the reason i am confused is that.. i listen to every kind of genre.. from hip-hop to metal..
sometimes i prefer soothing music(low volume) and i want every instrument to be heard clearly i.e. no compromise in quality.
but, sometimes i want everyone in the neighborhood to listen what i am listening to :P
and at the same time i don't want any loss in quality(no distortion@high volume).

this is why i am soo confused..

my budget is 60K Max for sub, front and rear speaker and Amp/Amps.. but i would love save some $$ if poss.

i own a Swift LDI 2010 Make with boot capacity of 230Ltrs.

My current Setup.

HU-Pio P4200UB with 3RCA out
Front- Auditor components 40 or 60 Watts RMS
Rear- Infinity - Primus 9603i 6x9
Sub- JBL 1250 Watts Bass Tube
Amp- Originally i had JBL - GT X646 - 4 Channel Amplifier (800 W) but unfortunately it got burnt so currently a Sony 2ch amp is powering the sub. but it gets hot very fast and trips :(

guys please help me out.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:39   #12461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the reason i am confused is that.. i listen to every kind of genre.. from hip-hop to metal..
sometimes i prefer soothing music(low volume) and i want every instrument to be heard clearly i.e. no compromise in quality.
but, sometimes i want everyone in the neighborhood to listen what i am listening to :P
and at the same time i don't want any loss in quality(no distortion@high volume).

this is why i am soo confused. ...
Rest your mind @nishantv2003, your doubt / confusion is unfounded. The amp will not change it's amplification nor add any synthetic bias based on a genre. If the signal contains soothing music or mind-numbing metal, that is what you will get faithfully. You will soon tire of the desire to wake up "everyone in the neighborhood to listen what i am listening to", anyhow.

What matters more than anything else is the sound characteristic of the front components. Be very critical yourself and discard any that cause you discomfort at moderately high volume - at high volume it will make you go mad. Go for components in the 9-12K range: Infinity Kappa, DLS, Rainbow, Morel, etc. - these will handle both the soft music and the metal without distorting.

Yes, the Polk dual sub box will fit in your boot.

Don't rely on ordering on the net without auditioning. If you are unable to get the stuff in Bhopal to audition, take a trip to Delhi. Plenty of decent installers / dealers who will give an audition of the equipment before installing.

Last edited by DerAlte : 10th March 2014 at 12:43.
Old 10th March 2014, 13:10   #12462
BHPian

Thank you.
Can you please tell me where can I audition these speakers in New Delhi?
Currently I am in Delhi only.
I am staying near Select city mall Saket.
Old 10th March 2014, 16:17   #12463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Has anyone tried Passive radiators in car audio instead of ported?
A passive radiator radiating in a trunk might not be a very efficient way to produce bass in a cabin. Some bass will leak through but why incur cost when the advantages of PRs (elimination of vent noise and as a replacement for very long ports) are not required.
Old 10th March 2014, 18:04   #12464

Hi folks, a quick query... I have a Ford Fiesta Sxi (Pre Classic, aka the old fiesta), and wanted to go for upgrading the stock speakers.
I have a Alpine W235BT HU as of now. Needed suggestions for nice speakers to go with it.
Front Comps: 7-8k (can strecth 1-2k if its worth it)
Considered the following but haven't audiotioned them as of now...
Hertz - ESK 165.5
Alpine - SPG 17CS
Polk Audio - DB6501
Focal - KIT 165A1SG

Rear Coaxials: 5-6k

Don't want to install a Sub for now. Any hints for good installers in bangalore would be great! And do you guys recommend buying from Snapdeal?
Old 10th March 2014, 19:12   #12465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenM View Post
Hi folks, a quick query... I have a Ford Fiesta Sxi (Pre Classic, aka the old fiesta), and wanted to go for upgrading the stock speakers. ...
Please check the OE mounting size and arrangement first - IIRC it is 5"x7". There are very few components available in India in this size, though they are available plenty in US. In case you don't get 5x7 components, you will need to look for an MDF adapter which will enable you to mount the 6.5" mid-bass into the oval slot (this needs the speaker to be raised from the mounting surface a bit). If it is 6.5", then after-market 6.5" components will fit.

Please do audition the models before even thinking of buying. Of the models that you have listed, the Hertz and the Polk DB are too bright for my liking - it may or may not be for you. Alpine - well, the other brands are better than this Alpine model.

Most Viewed