Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 00:12   #11686
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YAY!!!!!!!! 3000!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

Sorry Moderators. YAY!!!
Would you believe it ? This was SAM in his pomp and glory, seven years ago. You know, we ALL have grown in this forum, from the people who started it in 2004 to the folks who keep on adding to the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Polk and Infinity have very different sound signatures. Listen to both before you buy.
Yeah, he answered many like this too and even me tried to answer.

@Navin and Sam, hope i did not hurt anyone.

@ Mods, please delete this post if not appropriate, else just edit this line.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:01   #11687
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Would you believe it ? This was SAM in his pomp and glory, seven years ago. ..@Navin and Sam, hope i did not hurt anyone..
EL, I do not understand the reference to context of your above post. Can you elaborate (via PM if nesscary)? Thanks.
Old 7th September 2012, 22:19   #11688
BANNED

Finally done with Pioneer DEH-3490 HU with 4 Infinity speakers (180 watt) . really liked the sound quality by myself and friends.

thanks you people for giving suggestions.

Palo

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2012 at 16:49. Reason: u = You. PM coming up
Old 8th September 2012, 11:56   #11689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palo View Post
Finally done with Pioneer DEH-3490 HU with 4 Infinity speakers (180 watt) . really liked the sound quality by myself and friends.
Palo - Great this forum could be of help - Kindly share some picture for the benefit of other bhpians
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 19:15   #11690
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Palo - Great this forum could be of help - Kindly share some picture for the benefit of other bhpians
Thank you. Yes I do that tomorrow. i will click some pics and post here.

Details of my speakers are Infinity PR 6502IS with 280 watt actually and Pioneer DEH-3490 Head Unit.

any thing i can improve for better ? may be do little later, but want to know that to improve it for betterment.

Thank you..
Old 8th September 2012, 21:53   #11691
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Just took pictures of the system. putting them here. every thing is good except they are little bit projected to outside in the back. so i fear some may hit them while getting down from the car..

Rest every thing fine with them.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-p1100410.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-p1100411.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-p1100412.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-p1100414.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-p1100415.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2012 at 16:52. Reason: r = Are. PM coming up
palo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 11:54   #11692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palo View Post
any thing i can improve for better ? may be do little later, but want to know that to improve it for betterment.
Yes - there are a couple of things that could be done.

Adding an Amplifier to the speakers would boost the performance. Damping the Doors and Boot and if money permits, Even the floor would create insulation leading to better Sound Quality (Less External noises = more clarity).

For better Effects Tweeters would help. Lastly - Amplifier + Subwoofer adds bass and punch.

If you are a fanatic, you may even add a Sound Processor for Dolby / SRS Effect.
Old 9th September 2012, 23:18   #11693
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a guy who listens to a variety of song types. To give an example, I listen to English songs [UK / US top 50 types], Malayalam, Hindi [movie songs & indipops & Punjabi tracks] & instrumental ones too. Right now I have a complete JBL set up [comps, amplifier & a subwoofer] in my Swift. I am quite happy with this whenever I play English songs. But when I play melodies [Hindi / Malayalam], I feel the output is too shrill and I have to reduce the volume by around 25% to feel good. I love listening to loud volume with the sub put to good use and I want to feel the music right around my ears.

Is there any brand which gives same output [without having to adjust the volume / properties] when you play different types of music? I understand that this is what "sound signatures" mean and different brands of speakers are suitable for different "types" of music.

Edit:: Because of the problem I mentioned in the first para, I always sort the same type of songs into one folder so that I don't have to keep changing the volume levels to suit my taste.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th September 2012 at 23:20. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 10th September 2012, 09:15   #11694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
I am a guy who listens to a variety of song types. To give an example, I listen to English songs [UK / US top 50 types], Malayalam, Hindi [movie songs & indipops & Punjabi tracks] & instrumental ones too. Right now I have a complete JBL set up [comps, amplifier & a subwoofer] in my Swift. I am quite happy with this whenever I play English songs. But when I play melodies [Hindi / Malayalam], I feel the output is too shrill and I have to reduce the volume by around 25% to feel good. I love listening to loud volume with the sub put to good use and I want to feel the music right around my ears.

Is there any brand which gives same output [without having to adjust the volume / properties] when you play different types of music? I understand that this is what "sound signatures" mean and different brands of speakers are suitable for different "types" of music.

Edit:: Because of the problem I mentioned in the first para, I always sort the same type of songs into one folder so that I don't have to keep changing the volume levels to suit my taste.
What is the equalizer setting on the head unit ? How is the sound with all eq settings off ? Or if you use something like natural or easy settings ?

If HU is not the culprit then check the speaker crossover settings.

Still have issues with the high treble, then change the speakers...
Old 10th September 2012, 11:24   #11695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
... Right now I have a complete JBL set up [comps, amplifier & a subwoofer] in my Swift. I am quite happy with this whenever I play English songs. But when I play melodies [Hindi / Malayalam], I feel the output is too shrill ...
The JBLs must be basically too bright for you - and you must have missed auditioning before buying. Now the problem is that you like the current components for Western music, but it doesn't work for Indian - and there is no way you can do some jugad to get a compromise.

You could audition components of other brands like Infinity, Boston, RF etc. - these would be more laid back.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 15:56   #11696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
....If HU is not the culprit then check the speaker crossover settings....
My HU is Kenwood 6539U which I was told is equivalent to Pio 6050 and I am happy with it. As I said, I love the way my speakers play the English and fast Indian tracks, but doesn't sound the best with melodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
...and you must have missed auditioning before buying. Now the problem is that you like the current components for Western music, but it doesn't work for Indian - and there is no way you can do some jugad to get a compromise.
That's right, I didn't audition before buying it. Whoever the BEST installers I spoke to in Bangy, they all preferred JBL [after listening to my requirements]. I was tight on budget as well. When I am NOT unhappy over the decision, I want to make sure I know about brands better when I do the next installation, hence trying to get more details!

Quote:
You could audition components of other brands like Infinity, Boston, RF etc. - these would be more laid back.
Thank You! Is Polk also in the same league? I had auditioned Polk, guess it wasn't as bright as the JBLs; not able to recall now!

Also do you think mixing multiple brands to get the best of all worlds make sense? I kind of dislike having multiple brands in my car, rather would stick on to a single brand if I can get a proper blend!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th September 2012 at 16:06.
Old 10th September 2012, 16:15   #11697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
... Is Polk also in the same league? ...
Also do you think mixing multiple brands to get the best of all worlds make sense? ...
Not sure. They had seemed brighter than JBL to me a couple of years back, can't say if they still are.

Nothing wrong in mixing multiple brands. The one that matters the most is the rear coax - if they are brighter than the front components, they will tend to pull the front image towards you. Beyond that, you will have to figure out whether the sound signatures are bothering you (if different), or not. I don't listen in the back seat, so ...
Old 11th September 2012, 08:27   #11698
BHPian

Dear gurus,

I could not find an exact answer for this question, so am posting it here.

This is for a friend.

Current setup: Pioneer HU, Polk 4" co-axials fornt, and Polk 6" co-axials rear.

Car: Ford Ikon Tdci

Needs to change front speakers.

I advised him Components for the front, but he was sure that at a budget of 6000, he won't be able to get an amp.

The question is: Are amps absolutely necessary for components. He has a HU with a 50*4 power?

PS: Im a total noob at this, hence the question.

Thanks,
Tapish
Old 11th September 2012, 10:42   #11699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
... Current setup: Pioneer HU, Polk 4" co-axials fornt, and Polk 6" co-axials rear. ...

I advised him Components for the front, but he was sure that at a budget of 6000, he won't be able to get an amp. ...
Your advice was sound, no doubt, however:

* There are no 4" components available locally. If you check with good installers in Delhi, you might be able to get Audio Systems MX100 components - but that may set you back by 8K at least

* You may search on the 'net for Infinity 4" components, and try to import them - they are not in the JBL / Infinity India line-up

* Components don't necessarily have to be driven by an external amp. They will definitely sound better than when driven by the internal amp of the HU, which are 14-18W RMS per channel BTW, not 50W. External amps are 40W RMS per channel at least.
Old 11th September 2012, 13:45   #11700
BHPian

Quote:
Your advice was sound, no doubt, however:

* There are no 4" components available locally. If you check with good installers in Delhi, you might be able to get Audio Systems MX100 components - but that may set you back by 8K at least

* You may search on the 'net for Infinity 4" components, and try to import them - they are not in the JBL / Infinity India line-up

* Components don't necessarily have to be driven by an external amp. They will definitely sound better than when driven by the internal amp of the HU, which are 14-18W RMS per channel BTW, not 50W. External amps are 40W RMS per channel at least.
Thanks Sir, for this. He is open to 6" components by making some changes.

Also, another question: is a 2 din HU better than 1 din? If yes, what is the differentiating factor to look at?

Thanks,
Tapish

Most Viewed