Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 07:59   #11566
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Sorry guys for pulling up an old thread. But I really didn't want to start a new one for this since it's pretty much "What ICE should I pick"-types??

I own a Fabia 1.6 elegance since a year. Well, almost. Going to cut it's first birthday cake in a few weeks from now, and plan to spice it up a little. Since I'm in the USA now on a short term, I see some excellent steal prices on soniceletronics and should be taken advantage of.

1. I do not plan to change the HU of the Fabia. But at the same time I do not know what is the output level of the stock HU that's currently powering the stock comps in front, which are infact too good for a stock, let me admit. So, can someone who's "been there-done that" tell me please what is the stock specs?

2. The plan is to kick the stock comps to the rear where there is a provision in the door panel already. So all I'll need is additional wiring to the rear. Anything that I need to take care of while doing this? Any specific wiring/spacing considerations I need to be bothered about since it's stock?

3. I plan to put in a powerful pair of components considering the fact that I'm not overly powerful in the wallet. Say, an equivalent of 8-10k for a pair is fine. Anything cheaper and better is most welcome (my choice of music is mostly bolly/tolly/molly/fusion/rap/pop; its only when my kid bro visits me that those bass drops from techno/trance are tested!). . Does a 6.5" or 6.75" comp fit into the front doors? What's the depth that can be mounted safely? What size of spacers would I need? Once again, anyone who's "been there-done that", please advise?

4. Any special considerations for the tweeters that will need to be mounted in the A-pillars?

Thankfully, the damping material is sold as a package with the speakers. Not dynamat, but something called CACHE.

5. Now, I'm sure when I said powerful, the need for AMPS comes without say. I plan to get a class-d amp for all the benefits I've read about it. Should I be considering the AB? Since the HU will remain stock, what amp input level should I choose? I prefer not to add in another adapter to step-up the input levels to match the amps. I don't think it's a good idea to power the stock speakers that will be in the rear with the amp for the sake of the the elders who will be in the rear.

What I'm considering now:
Speakers - Polk

Amp - Confused?!! There's a perfect PA D2000 2-channel amp that matches the speaker's rms/peak. But it's blowing my budget double. So, any recommendations for a good budget 2-channel amp with 125w rms/250w peak per channel?

HELP.
Old 7th May 2012, 22:50   #11567
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
1. I do not plan to change the HU of the Fabia. But at the same time I do not know what is the output level of the stock HU that's currently powering the stock comps in front, which are infact too good for a stock, let me admit. So, can someone who's "been there-done that" tell me please what is the stock specs?

2. The plan is to kick the stock comps to the rear where there is a provision in the door panel already. So all I'll need is additional wiring to the rear. Anything that I need to take care of while doing this? Any specific wiring/spacing considerations I need to be bothered about since it's stock?

3. I plan to put in a powerful pair of components considering the fact that I'm not overly powerful in the wallet. Say, an equivalent of 8-10k for a pair is fine. Anything cheaper and better is most welcome (my choice of music is mostly bolly/tolly/molly/fusion/rap/pop; its only when my kid bro visits me that those bass drops from techno/trance are tested!). . Does a 6.5" or 6.75" comp fit into the front doors? What's the depth that can be mounted safely? What size of spacers would I need? Once again, anyone who's "been there-done that", please advise?

4. Any special considerations for the tweeters that will need to be mounted in the A-pillars?

Thankfully, the damping material is sold as a package with the speakers. Not dynamat, but something called CACHE.

5. Now, I'm sure when I said powerful, the need for AMPS comes without say. I plan to get a class-d amp for all the benefits I've read about it. Should I be considering the AB? Since the HU will remain stock, what amp input level should I choose? I prefer not to add in another adapter to step-up the input levels to match the amps. I don't think it's a good idea to power the stock speakers that will be in the rear with the amp for the sake of the the elders who will be in the rear.

Speakers - Polk

Amp - Confused?!! There's a perfect PA D2000 2-channel amp that matches the speaker's rms/peak. But it's blowing my budget double. So, any recommendations for a good budget 2-channel amp with 125w rms/250w peak per channel?

HELP.
1. Not sure Since i do not own a Fabia

2. You would require a standard Wiring Kit. Scosche wiring kit has wiring for all speakers and a Sub. You can purchase it in USA itself. Since your fabia is less than a year old, i would suggest to get it fit at A.S.S itself so as not to void your warranty on account of splitting wires

3. Polk DB6501 for 115$. Polk is service-able in India too. Kicker, Infinity Kappa, Rockford-Fosgate etc could be also considered. Rule of thumb- Please audition them individually and decide.

4. Ah !! This is something challenging to answer. I dont think in USA we get standalone Tweeters. They come bundled with Component speakers only. Never Mind - you get pioneer / polk in india for around 500/- INR. If you get tweeters, go in for it. Any tweeter is fine. Dyna-mat is the best in the business but the one mentioned above will get the job done but not as good as Dynamat.

5. Please check this out. You get an Rockford-Fosgate amplifier for 150$. There are cheaper options but this is worth the money.
(LINK)

Last edited by scopriobharath : 7th May 2012 at 22:51.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 11:48   #11568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Since I'm in the USA now on a short term,

1. I do not plan to change the HU of the Fabia.

2. The plan is to kick the stock comps to the rear..Any specific wiring/spacing considerations I need to be bothered about since it's stock?

3. I plan to put in a powerful pair of components

5. Now, I'm sure when I said powerful, the need for AMPS comes without say.

Speakers - Polk
Amp - Confused?!! There's a perfect PA D2000 2-channel amp that matches the speaker's rms/peak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

2. You would require a standard Wiring Kit.

3. Polk DB6501 for 115$.

5. Please check this out. You get an Rockford-Fosgate amplifier for 150$.
If you are only buying an amp and 2 front speakers, I believe India's pricing is on par with most reputed shops in the US. That said if you are getting some good deals go ahead.

Most OEM HUs do not have "pre-out" for the amplifier. Some have just 1 pair (for the rear or subwoofer). Please check with your dealer what outputs (speaker out, pre out, etc..) the OEM HU has.

Some OEM Hus have a lot of EQ preset inside them to compensate for the shortcomings of the OEM speakers. Hence often changing the OEM speakers to 3rd party speakers makes the sound too bright or lean. You shoud listen before you buy. I have not expereinced the Fabia systems so cannot be sure about your car.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 20:57   #11569
BHPian

My current setup consists of a Xenos HU, with 2 pre-outs (none in use currently), JBL CS 4 4" front speakers, MTX Audio 6x9 coaxial 300W rear speakers, mounted in the parcel tray. I asked the guy at the car accessories store for his suggestion on how I could get a better bass response without burning a hole in my pocket, and he suggested to remove the rear speakers from the parcel tray and put them into enclosed boxes. He showed me a box with a partition in it, and said that this would improve the bass response a lot. He quoted 1200/- for a pair. He also showed the same equipment branded Bass FX, said the quality was better, and quoted 1800/- for a pair.

My query is, will this really improve the bass response, thus being a VFM solution? And if yes, should I go for the branded BASS Fx or the normal unbranded one? How much of a difference will it make?
Old 11th May 2012, 23:03   #11570
BHPian

Hi guys,
Need advice from Gurus about installing a dvd player and screen.
my car has in dash mp3 with steering controls built in and i dont want to disturb the setup.But i need to go in for a dvd panel(roof mounted).now as i forsee i have two options
1.install roof top dvd player cum panel lcd and get audio wireless in fm through in dash mp3 player onto my speakers.
how good(bad) will the audio sound as there will not be any wires to carry signals for amplification?
2.does anyone know of any option to install lcd panel only in roof and use dvdchanger with builtin headunit under seat and use cable to carry video to roof top and and use a amp to connect both new dvd audio out as well as indash audio out signals via cable and then into the door speakers?wherein i can switch the amp for either in dash mp3 or the new installed dvd changer?
i feel option 2 will be definately better for both audio and video?

any suggestions regarding models?rate?
Old 12th May 2012, 12:26   #11571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post
1.install roof top dvd player cum panel lcd and get audio wireless in fm through in dash mp3 player onto my speakers.
how good(bad) will the audio sound as there will not be any wires to carry signals for amplification?
Sound quality will be average. Worse than a hard-wired connection surely, and also more prone to picking up interference. You have not mentioned which car it is. Does it not have an AUX-IN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post
2.does anyone know of any option to install lcd panel only in roof and use dvdchanger with builtin headunit under seat and use cable to carry video to roof top and and use a amp to connect both new dvd audio out as well as indash audio out signals via cable and then into the door speakers?wherein i can switch the amp for either in dash mp3 or the new installed dvd changer?
i feel option 2 will be definately better for both audio and video?
It is hard to find a standalone, universal type DVD changer these days. Necvox used to make them. However there will still be issues since audio-video switchers that will switch between the DVD changer and the OEM head unit will not be designed to handle 4 channels of audio per input, so you will lose fader function.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 12:58   #11572
BHPian

Hi All,
Need some advice on ICEing my Punto. I walked into CarAx and checked out the speakers and HUs he's got. I am totally fed up with the stock HU and speakers: no USB, cant be arsed into writing CDs again and again, and I cant bear to listen to the FM anymore.

This is the quote I've got:
1. HU : Kenwood 4549HD : KDC-U4549SD | 1DIN Receivers | Car Electroics | Kenwood Price : Rs 7700
2. Helix Components : Rs 6700
3. Helix Co-axials : Rs 4200
4. Morell Co-axials : Rs 3500
5. Cluster plate (my car comes with the stock HU which on replacing will need a cluster plate to accomodate another HU) : Rs 2200

Other expenses
Coupler + Spacer : Rs 550

I frankly did not enjoy the sounds of the Pioneer Co-axials or components. The Helix Co-axials sounded very nice, with a good mix of bass and clarity. The Components are even better.

I would like an HU with multiple Preouts, so that I can add a sub woofer + amp later.

I am planning on getting the HU + components for the front, and for the rear might just keep the stock Co-axials for the moment. Do these prices sound right ? (Prices inclusive of installation)

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for me ? Please help ! I would like to get this installed ASAP (because bad songs on radio = road rage )
Old 12th May 2012, 16:28   #11573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Sound quality will be average. Worse than a hard-wired connection surely, and also more prone to picking up interference. You have not mentioned which car it is. Does it not have an AUX-IN?
It is hard to find a standalone, universal type DVD changer these days. Necvox used to make them. However there will still be issues since audio-video switchers that will switch between the DVD changer and the OEM head unit will not be designed to handle 4 channels of audio per input, so you will lose fader function.
car i will be getting is new xylo e9 with 2din dash mp3 with a large amount of voice controlled options and steering wheel audio control.i dont want to miss out on these.it has no option for AUX-IN.
also i am now using jvc dvd single din with sony amp for 4 spkers,2 pioneer tweeters,jbl sub woofer in dickey in seperate cabinet and video panel fixed to rear view mirror in my bolero .being pampered with all this how can i live without dvd and such good audio in my new xylo?Please help...
Old 12th May 2012, 20:06   #11574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania
Hi All,
Need some advice on ICEing my Punto. I walked into CarAx and checked out the speakers and HUs he's got. I am totally fed up with the stock HU and speakers: no USB, cant be arsed into writing CDs again and again, and I cant bear to listen to the FM anymore.

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for me ? Please help ! I would like to get this installed ASAP (because bad songs on radio = road rage )
When I had a linea and I was in Pune I reached the same frustration limit as you just did, I went to Carax and they suggested the same thing.

Frankly Helix bend more towards treble than bass.
My final setup was helix overall with the higher range ones (7k) in front and the other at back(5k) with a 4ch amp(12k) powering them. The sound improved a lot with the amp but I felt the lack of a sub very dearly.
Bass only comes in at high volumes.

Moving on to punto, the space available is just for 1.5 DIN. So your options are pioneer. Every one of them has a USB, pioneer has the best sound so you couldn't go wrong, though I would still suggest you stick to at least the mid range ones.

Choose your HU first and get it attached. Then tell him to audition the speakers for you in the car if possible.

Talk to Swaroop in Carax Baner. He is a good chap and very accommodating.
I do not know if it will help with rates but you could remind him about me as being his old customer. I had a maroon linea. Helix setup. Amp developed a problem but we never got a chance to confirm. Even changed local cables to monster cables. My name is Mohit Jumrani BTW.
Hope it helps.

You could also visit Poona Motors at MG road. I know someone there too.

PM me if u want me to talk to him or need his number.

PS: if he asks then I shifted to Delhi in a hurry last year.

Last edited by mjumrani : 12th May 2012 at 20:07.
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 17:53   #11575
BHPian

Hey guys,
have been looking to get a sub recently, and the JBL GT5-S12 sub has been suggested by the dealer.
Any thoughts on the same?

Also, what should the approx price be? He's quoting 5k, which seems a bit high to me..

Lastly, how would this compare with the infinity reference 1260 sub, in terms of SQ and price?

Many thanks.. :-)
Old 14th May 2012, 18:01   #11576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhaiyo View Post
Hey guys,
have been looking to get a sub recently, and the JBL GT5-S12 sub has been suggested by the dealer.
Any thoughts on the same?

Also, what should the approx price be? He's quoting 5k, which seems a bit high to me..

Lastly, how would this compare with the infinity reference 1260 sub, in terms of SQ and price?

Many thanks.. :-)
Not sure about the model you mentioned, but the JBL CS 1215B is an excellent 12" sub. Superb bass response, experienced in a friend's car. Planning to get one for myself very soon. Retails for 4990/- INR.

Sorry, but I don't have any idea how it compares to the infinity sub you mentioned.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 18:42   #11577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post

5. Cluster plate (my car comes with the stock HU which on replacing will need a cluster plate to accomodate another HU) : Rs 2200

Other expenses
Coupler + Spacer : Rs 550
Hi,

What's this cluster plate!? i think you are wrongly adviced by your installer, i got single din front plate [they call it as ornament] of Active/Dyanamic model from TATA ASC for 238 bucks, search the thread on punto ice, you will get all details.
subbarao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 20:19   #11578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
When I had a linea and I was in Pune I reached the same frustration limit as you just did, I went to Carax and they suggested the same thing.

Frankly Helix bend more towards treble than bass.
My final setup was helix overall with the higher range ones (7k) in front and the other at back(5k) with a 4ch amp(12k) powering them. The sound improved a lot with the amp but I felt the lack of a sub very dearly.
Bass only comes in at high volumes.

Moving on to punto, the space available is just for 1.5 DIN. So your options are pioneer. Every one of them has a USB, pioneer has the best sound so you couldn't go wrong, though I would still suggest you stick to at least the mid range ones.

Choose your HU first and get it attached. Then tell him to audition the speakers for you in the car if possible.

Talk to Swaroop in Carax Baner. He is a good chap and very accommodating.
I do not know if it will help with rates but you could remind him about me as being his old customer. I had a maroon linea. Helix setup. Amp developed a problem but we never got a chance to confirm. Even changed local cables to monster cables. My name is Mohit Jumrani BTW.
Hope it helps.

You could also visit Poona Motors at MG road. I know someone there too.

PM me if u want me to talk to him or need his number.

PS: if he asks then I shifted to Delhi in a hurry last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
Hi,

What's this cluster plate!? i think you are wrongly adviced by your installer, i got single din front plate [they call it as ornament] of Active/Dyanamic model from TATA ASC for 238 bucks, search the thread on punto ice, you will get all details.
Thanks a lot for the help guys.. I did find out about this cluster plate thing. Its the Dashboard fascia, and it is available for Rs 238 !

But I get the feeling, getting any spare part from Pandit is going to be like a treasure hunt . So I am twiddling my thumbs waiting to procure this part.

Mohit : Thanks a ton for the reference mate ! I owe you one
Old 20th May 2012, 13:14   #11579
BHPian

This query is for those who have handled the output wires coming out of a HU, those that we connect to the speakers.

As per my understanding, there are 2 pairs, one of green color and one of purple, that we connect to the rear speakers, and 2 pairs, colored white and grey, that we connect to the front speakers. I am talking about all coaxials here.

What I want to know is whether it is somehow possible to couple/bridge these into a cable (eg. RCA cable) that can be used as a source for the aux-in of another HU.

The reason I ask this is because I purchased a Pioneer MVH 1490UB, which has only a sub-woofer out. My other HU is a Xenos, which has two RCA outs and an RCA in. So what I want to do is, connect the speaker outputs from the Pioneer to the RCA in of my Xenos, and run a 4 channel amp from the 2 RCA outs of the Xenos. Is this possible in any way?
Old 21st May 2012, 11:10   #11580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
... What I want to know is whether it is somehow possible to couple/bridge these into a cable (eg. RCA cable) that can be used as a source for the aux-in of another HU. ...
You need not connect the Xenos HU at all. The right way to connect the amp is to connect a Line Output Converter (Hi-Lo Converter) which converts the high level speaker output signal to correct level for amp input, and provides RCA sockets to connect the RCA cables to the amp.

Some amps accept speaker-level input directly, not needing an LOC. Check your amp's specs if it can.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks