Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2012, 21:50   #11521

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hello,

I have a 2012 TL Polo, recently bought.
As it didn't have a music system, I got a HU installed from under the Defense Colony flyover which was supposed to be the stock polo HU with USB and AUX added. The USB connector was a cable that neatly slotted into a port on the back of the HU but the Aux was an add-on cable that seemed to have been connected somewhere inside in a jugaad way.

Now the problem I'm having is that Im getting poor radio performance from the FM. The sound quality and volume suddenly raise and drop depending on the physical position of the car. I know this is normal to an extent, but it's been happening way more than it does on other cars.

Can something be done to fix this?

Also, when the guy was installing the HU, there was one cable left over that wasn't attached to anything, although all the ports on the HU had a cable in it. He said "yeh cable faaltu hai" Could it be that cable was vital?

PS- @mods - I searched this thread for "poor radio reception" and a few other keywords , couldn't find anything relevant
Old 8th April 2012, 19:49   #11522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itaughtthestig
... The sound quality and volume suddenly raise and drop depending on the physical position of the car. ... there was one cable left over that wasn't attached to anything, although all the ports on the HU had a cable in it. He said "yeh cable faaltu hai" Could it be that cable was vital? ...
LOL that sounds like someone forgot to connect antenna cable. How can an installer forget that?

Not sure whether the 'spare' cable is the antenna cable, unless we know what connector is at the end of it. The antenna cable would have a thickish round pin.
Old 9th April 2012, 01:47   #11523

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not sure whether the 'spare' cable is the antenna cable, unless we know what connector is at the end of it. The antenna cable would have a thickish round pin.
Well from what I remember, the "spare" cable did have a thick round connector, but it was very thick. Thicker than all the others.
Old 9th April 2012, 10:07   #11524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itaughtthestig View Post
Well from what I remember, the "spare" cable did have a thick round connector, but it was very thick. Thicker than all the others.
It should look like the picture in the link.
http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/PIX/scoaxt24ba.jpg
Old 9th April 2012, 15:55   #11525
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Team-BHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Thanks Scorpiobharath.

Another question to all. Has anyone bought from Carplus.in? How is their service? Do they have bill and warranty when buying online? Their prices are way lower than the market. Just a bit skeptical and wanted to confirm before ordering.
hrman - I would suggest you that it is really worth paying a little more and buying the product from a physical shop. You would be paying more than what you would pay carplus but that is what you are paying for peace of mind. There are tried and tested shops in Koramangala and near Richmond Circle at the very least. You can insist on installtion and if its damaged they would replace it for a "no questions asked" and also give you company warranty card.

Online shopping (Carplus.in operates out of delhi) is not matured enough in india like US or UK et.all. There is a good chance you would get damaged / non-functional items and you would have to pay for return-shipping and hassles of non-working products and duplicates.

Concluding - Go in for the product from a physical shop instead of online shopping. There are plenty of options in Bangalore (CLICK)
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 19:22   #11526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Hi Guys, I just wanted to ask something for research so that I can decide when I should indulge in the buy.

I need to get
  1. Rear Component
  2. Sub
  3. Monoblock Amp
My budget is 15k for each but if possible I would like to keep it at 40k total, though I can push to 50k if it would be worth it.

I like tight bass (but with a decent quantity of the same so I can actually feel it while driving and not just while my car is at a standstill) with clear treble (which I haven't been able to achieve yet :( due to the lack of a sub thus I end up compromising on treble)

Besides that my current setup is Helix DB Four Amp, Helix DB6.1 (coaxial) at the rear and Polk DB 6501 (components) at the front with Pioneer AVH-P8490BT running the whole thing as a HU.

Please advise.
TIA
Hi

Any suggestions for the quoted queries?
Old 11th April 2012, 21:05   #11527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Hi

Any suggestions for the quoted queries?
Hi

Try GT-BASSPRO12 for Subwoofer + Amp (Built in amp).

For getting tighter bass, you might want to look at JBL MS8 soundprocessor. It can be configured to give you good tight bass,

All inclusive both should cost less that 45/50 K.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 21:50   #11528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Hi

Try GT-BASSPRO12 for Subwoofer + Amp (Built in amp).

For getting tighter bass, you might want to look at JBL MS8 soundprocessor. It can be configured to give you good tight bass,

All inclusive both should cost less that 45/50 K.
Thanks for the reply mate.

I also need a rear component pair within that budget.

I have my eyes on a proccy, but its Audison Bit Ten, costs around 20k, but its for another day. Since I already need 3 things.
Old 13th April 2012, 19:52   #11529
Senior - BHPian

Hi..
I am planning to change the existing single DIN Pioneer Head Unit of my Verna CRDI 2008 with a double DIN unit.

I need following suggestions:

1. The present single DIN unit is not a proper fit in Verna's slot; am not sure if there is problem with the expertise of the person (gap is visible from driver's seat) or its the problem with the space / slot present in Verna. Can a double DIN unit will fit well (like the one I saw in Verna Transform - before the fluidic launch) - pic attached.

2. I am generally biased for Pioneer / Alpine HUs, could you please suggest models in the range between 30K - 50K with DVD, Bluetooth and inbuilt GPS navigation. In case if these players does not fall in my range, suggest other brands. And yes I want a full function remote to control things from rear seat.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-verna-hu.jpg  

Old 14th April 2012, 09:32   #11530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
1. The present single DIN unit is not a proper fit in Verna's slot; am not sure if there is problem with the expertise of the person...Can a double DIN unit will fit well
Yes a 2 DIN unit should fit well in a slot that is exactly 2 DIN. Sometimes OEM units are a little larger or smaller than a TRUE 2 DIN specfication. THis might cause gaps.

2 DIN is 4" x 7" or 100mm x 180mm but if you notice 4" = 101.6mm so such differences can lead to gaps. Some car HU manufactuers supply a matching trim kit to cover such a gap.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 16:58   #11531
Senior - BHPian

I currently have a conventional config of comps in front, ovals in the back and a sub with an amp.
Being the bass junkie that I am, my sub gains are turned up pretty high. My passengers always used to complain, but i used to dismiss them, but recently when i got to sit in my own back seat i realized that there was a massive bass overdose for the rear passengers.

though I think that it might be because the speakers are mounted on the hatch door than on the parcel tray, leading to the rear speakers sounding more muted, as well as the fact that my front comps are 5"ers, and mounted on the plastic door pads(indica), so they are totally anemic, and need the sub to output any meaningfull bass (they had to be HPF'd at 100 to stop them from vibrating like crazy)

Is there any other way to get decent bass up front without giving the passengers headaches? Right now the only way I could think of was getting 6.5"ers in front and mounting them directly on the door, though this would mean some cutting/shutting of the front door pads.
I don't have any alternate install locations in the rear (would prefer to not use a tray as I already have a space constraint) and even the hatch door position is under threat as it screwed up the hatch hydraulics, and the hatch door wouldn't stay open. I was thinking about cutting and installing a pair of 6.5"ers in teh rear door (there is no stock install location there though)
Old 15th April 2012, 22:18   #11532
BHPian

I need a new setup for my Santro Xing.I browsed through a few pages of the thread, didnt see any recent posts for santros.I am fairly clueless about car audio. I'm fed up of listening to the radio. (It has a cassette deck)!Considering its an old car and i may not keep it for very long.I am budgeting around 10-12k with installation.
I checked out at a store in gurgaon. I insisted on only JBL speakers. I wasnt very bothered about the HU having a cd player.I was more particular about usb and aux, but the guy at sixth sense said the price difference is very minimal and might as well get a cd player. I had these jbl 400 watt coaxial 6x9 in mind. The guy said, 400 watts or 280 watts you wont feel the difference if you play it from your HU. Fair enough!
So this is what he estimated.All this with B&W.
a entry level head unit from jvc or pioneer for 4500, jbl 280 watt coaxials at the back 3500 and for the front 4 inch JBL for 1500. He said the 1500 buck speakers are the best JBL speakers you can put in the front of a santro. I wasnt very convinced.
My question is, can i do better with my 11-12 grand? Also, i drive alone so i could settle for one 'good' pair of speakers in my budget if thats a better option. instead of two sets.I am aware about santros having limited provision and options for front speakers.and i dont mind sacrificing a cd player and getting just a usb+aux hu. and using what i save to spend on speakers. I'm 19. I want some decent sound for my drives to college in delhi and back every other day.
thanks alot in advance!!
Old 16th April 2012, 00:23   #11533
Senior - BHPian

@ promit
an HU + 4"ers up front and 6x9's in the back is what is usually used for santros.
the fronts matter. A lot. the JBL GTO's are among the better ones in the budget category. dont compromise there ( and end up buying some sony/pioneer etc speakers for the front)
You can also look at other speaker brands (ask the ICE shop to let you listen to them ) depending on the type of music you listen to.

so to answer your questions,
1. you cannot do vastly better for 11~12k than this
2. this will give you decent sound

And Remember to insist on an MDF tray for the back. dont install the speakers on the stock plastic one.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 10:16   #11534
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I Is there any other way to get decent bass up front without giving the passengers headaches?
What about a slim under seat woofer. It wont give you the bass of a true subwoofer but some bass is better than no bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I'm 19. I want some decent sound for my drives to college in delhi and back every other day. thanks alot in advance!!
Quote:
so to answer your questions,
1. you cannot do vastly better for 11~12k than this
2. this will give you decent sound.
Pormit, you are 19, I am jealous. Enjoy college, best years of my life. I was broke and hungry but they still were the best years of my life.

Greehorn is right, for 10K you are in pretty good shape with a JVC or Pioneer HU and JBL speakers.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 11:01   #11535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. you cannot do vastly better for 11~12k than this ...
True.

However, the JBL 4" coaxes have a sibilant metallic sound, especially off of a Pio HU. The 280W 6x9s give better reproduction, but since they are at the back, the sound image takes a hit. Difficult to tune.

Even I have been searching for long for a good pair of 4" coaxes or even components for a Santro, but alas, none are to be found. Infinity has a very decent 4" but not in India. Polk 4" coaxes are a bit bright. Have heard of Kicker 4" components, but haven't found them anywhere. Choice is very limited with both Illusion 4" components and Blaupunkt 4" coaxes not in the market.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks