Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 15:45   #11386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

@cletusarrarr: There are some good models available from JVC in about 5-6K. You can also get Pioneer & Kenwood within the same range. I cannot specify a specific model since I am not abreast with the prices.

Having said that, here is what I believe you can get for about 12-13K
1. HU (JVC/Kenwood/Pioneer/Sony) with 2 preouts -- 5-6K
2. Component system (JBL/Pioneer/Kenwood) -- 5K
3. Rear 6*9 speakers (JVC/Kenwood/Pioneer) with 200W-270W peak -- 2-2.5K

You do not need big speakers for the rear, just get something that sounds nice & is cheap. It will run off the HU, so as it is, you won't be needing much powerful speakers there.

A good amplifier would set you back by about 6K, so keep that for later.
Old 20th January 2012, 17:08   #11387
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. No, the 'ORVM' location is that triangular glass area just inside the ORVM. In the case of Wagon-R, the ORVM is actually mounted the door - in others it is mounted in that triangular area.

And, the A-pillar base is further front from this area - about 6" in front. The difference is - if mounted on the A-pillar, the tweeters will be firing more directly into your ears OR half of it will be getting reflected off the glass windscreen. Neither is good. At the ORVM location, it is more side on (off-axis) which gives a more balanced listening. Some installers even mount it near the top of the door (on the door pad).
Hello sir. You're referring to this location, right?
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-tweeter.jpg
Old 20th January 2012, 17:09   #11388
BHPian

Quote:

Well, since you have the adjustment lever of the ORVM jutting in, your choice of location would be limited to the A-pillar. Since you are angling the tweeters in, it may not be too bad - unless the tweeters are bright! If they are bright, you should carry Anacin / Saridon with you.

* "effects" - what effects are you getting? One normally expects to hear what was recorded as is - unadulterated

* ...Try angling the rear tweeters further back if you can. Without having amp, you really can't do much in tuning front and back - other than playing with Fader (setting it to front slightly)

* The SP setting is only setting a Bandpass filter appropriately so that the speakers get only what they can handle. For example, the 6x9 setting will allow more bass, but that setting if actually connected to a 5-1/4 speaker will only make the speaker distort at high volume at low frequencies
One can *perhaps* make out the difference, but one has to be sure what one is looking for
Tweeters are not that bright, those are decent sounding, I set CO at "0db" for front and -3db for rears.

Effects means just normal stereo effects which a song contains. Most songs don't have much septate left-right instruments or effects but few have too much, like few tracks from Pink-Floyd. My wife gets scared if few of those scary solo guitar strings are played, now a days see started telling me to play "Songs" instead of "Music" as soon as see sits in the car to minimize the chances of tolerating those "PinkFloyd" tracks.

Angling the rear tweeters is good idea but unfortunately I fixed those with fix-mountings and left other mountings at the shop so at now I can't change the angle. I have good relations with my shopkeeper so will ask him for another mountings and then will experiment with angling the rear tweeters.

Got the point of SP settings, exactly what I was thinking but I tried different settings and didn't find any difference with various settings thats why I asked about those settings.
Old 20th January 2012, 18:11   #11389
BHPian

still couple of questions.
1. Are rear speakers rally reqd or shud i just spend on good components n HU
2. http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/wp-con...R-Interior.jpg
where exactly would the tweety bird go on this , a circle would be nice.
3.M finalising on the HU since it has the Mosfet IC, so i wudnt need an amp, wasnt looking to add an amp either. if i buy the stuff from one place ,any recommended places to do the installation, how much should installation cost ?
4. should i go for the 609c, the woofer would go into the front doors itself ?

as far as sipping the tea is concerned, ill ask around , tbh since im not an audiophile i doubt if ill be able to distinguish them apart but will still ask. searching on the net was to only understand probabilities, actuals will be diff but an understanding of what to epect n the overall setup is important.

P.s. what can i/can't i cut to ensure warranty is not void. Will the HU be a direct plug n play into maruti's wires.
Old 20th January 2012, 21:56   #11390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusarrarr View Post
If WogonR's front doors have enough space to put a 6 incher then rear speakers are not really necessary, even HU will handle two speakers better than four.

Quote:
3.M finalising on the HU since it has the Mosfet IC, so i wudnt need an amp, wasnt looking to add an amp either.
Having a Mosphet IC HU doesn't mean that it has a proper AMP, AMP not only amplifies the sound output, but you can control some other tweakings too to improve the sound quality but in your case a Mosphet IC HU will work sufficiently. If you still feel then you can upgrade later to an AMP and rear speakers/Sub. Just observe this system for a while, I don't think you will feel absence of rear speakers if installation is done perfectly.

Quote:
P.s. what can i/can't i cut to ensure warranty is not void. Will the HU be a direct plug n play into maruti's wires.
Its not difficult to find proper sockets for a Maruti, just clearly tell to your installer that you don't want any wire cut and be there and keep eye on the installation process.
Old 21st January 2012, 14:09   #11391
BHPian

who says the internet cant be helpful.
Car Audio
quite a few products pricing and models with features, i get a good understanding of what prices to expect ,also quite a few models on ebay.in with decent pricing. i enquired it could cost about 300-500 for installation should i get my own equipment, thers a nice JBL HU for 3k with no cd changer but ill mostly be going for a pioneer HU, noticed that all pioneer HUs come with the MOSFET IC output to 50w x 4.
yet deciding on speakers , like said ill see in person but ill narrow it down first whatever fits my budget
should i be looking for any connectivity details on the HU, i won't be adding any more gear later.i meant the rear like RCA output or crossover or so ?
Old 22nd January 2012, 15:46   #11392
BHPian

Further updates to the thread.
Decided to make a setup of 4spkrs and a HU
I have decided to buy the following :-
JBL GT5-402 - 1200
JBL GT6-S266C - 4792

which leaves me wit ha budget of approx 5-6k for the head unit, from what i read the pioneer HUs in the starter series are a bad choice, the JBL x555 seems to be popular and considered vfm, i dont really need BT come to think of it, if i have any phones they all have a 3.5mm jack so can be hooked up via that.

so my last dilemma of which HU, kenwoods have been suggested alot, shall i stick to the recommended models earlier in this thread, they are tried and tested ?
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:07   #11393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
... You're referring to this location, right? ...
Correct, that's the location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
... started telling me to play "Songs" instead of "Music" ...
ROFL I have the same situation with my family too. Of course my desire to play Sheela ki jawaani, Jalebi bai or Chiknee chameli at appropriate volume also meets the same fate.

Quote:
The rear speakers are for rear seat passengers, and a feeling of being surrounded by music. If you don't care about that, it is not necessary

2. ... where exactly would the tweety bird go on this , a circle would be nice.
Refer the pic from @manjot1912

3. ... how much should installation cost ?
You will need to add cost of cables, apart from installation. Also, definitely damping. Installation itself will be ~2K or less, cables 2-3K, damping 5-6K

4. should i go for the 609c, the woofer would go into the front doors itself ?
Yes, even if it were some other brand/model (other than 4" really, which goes into the dash location)

... since im not an audiophile i doubt if ill be able to distinguish them apart ...
You underestimate yourself, sir!!! One doesn't have to be an audiophile to differentiate. An audiophile only articulates better!
Quote:
Major electrical and signal wires, other than the ones provided for ICE purposes, like HU and speaker connections. A good installer will be able to do it without cutting any wires.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:09   #11394
BHPian

The picture in the earlier thread wont work for my car as i have all glass there , attaching a picture of my car which i went to inspect at the stockyard, installation and damping so much ? that's almost as much as my budget. :P
Don't think i have that kinda money to put there.

Im thinking since a basic HU would do, id use the extra money to make a complete experience since it should just cost a grand or so.

Hence looking for probably one of these, i should mostly be buying them with bill since there are some great deals online which locals probably wont be able to match.

Kenwood KDC-U349R
Pioneer DEH-6390SD
Pioneer DEH-3390UB
Pioneer 6390
JVC KD-R826
JBL GT-X555
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-dash.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2012, 11:21   #11395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The picture in the earlier thread wont work for my car as i have all glass there , attaching a picture of my car which i went to inspect at the stockyard, ...
Kenwood KDC-U349R ...
Oh, it will. A good installer will be able to take a 1/2" MDF piece, cover it fully with grey felt and stick it in that space. This will prevent cutting of the A-pillar cladding.

Oh-oh, there is no OE location on top of the dash for 4" speakers unlike the older W-R. Not sure, but would you be able to take a pic of the door pad and post it here? Just wanted to check if a 6.5" can be fitted on the door.

Better to avoid 4" speakers - they are too tinny for decent listening the way you want. To compensate for complete lack of bass from 4", you will have to put 6x9 on the tray.

The HU choices are OK, though I prefer a Kenwood - but that is me.
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:13   #11396
BHPian

Quote:
ROFL I have the same situation with my family too. Of course my desire to play Sheela ki jawaani, Jalebi bai or Chiknee chameli at appropriate volume also meets the same fate.
As far as I am able to drive the car which I love then not such an issue to be cared. hope same about you too.

Quote:
Oh, it will. A good installer will be able to take a 1/2" MDF piece, cover it fully with grey felt and stick it in that space. This will prevent cutting of the A-pillar cladding.
But won't there be a compromise with visibility? I think he should retain the glass for better visibility sake.

Quote:
Oh-oh, there is no OE location on top of the dash for 4" speakers unlike the older W-R. Not sure, but would you be able to take a pic of the door pad and post it here? Just wanted to check if a 6.5" can be fitted on the door.

Better to avoid 4" speakers - they are too tinny for decent listening the way you want. To compensate for complete lack of bass from 4", you will have to put 6x9 on the tray.
As it seems that there is no stock location for stock speaker on dashboard in new WagonR so 4 inchers can't be installed here. But 4 inchers are not that bad if they are companied with rear 6" or 6X9" speakers as you are also recommending the same to fix the 6X9 at rear tray. I have experienced Rockford 6.5" coaxials. They produce really good bass, cost around 3-4K and can be used at rear doors if have enough space.

In my old M800, I had 4" speakers along with tweeters at dash companied with 8" woofer cones with paper tweeter in boxes in the boot (Everything was cheap and unbranded), whole system was pretty much listenable and good thing was that sound image used to feel completely at front with nice stereo separation which I like. That same I was trying to find with my system in Polo and discussed with you earlier for the same. But I think its matter of habit of old experience and now I have started liking my new system after fiddling with some settings in my HU.

Quote:
The HU choices are OK, though I prefer a Kenwood - but that is me.
I also back to you, Kenwood are safe choice as those are most popular as OE brand too. Good thing I found about them is that they perform decently even without AMP.
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:11   #11397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... But won't there be a compromise with visibility? I think he should retain the glass for better visibility sake. ...
If one can't see through the main window in the door, there is not much that will be visible through that tiny triangle. Considering that most cars have that 'sail panel' covered because of the ORVM mounting, that glass area is only an ishtyle statement.

Quote:
... But 4 inchers are not that bad if they are companied with rear 6" or 6X9" speakers as you are also recommending the same to fix the 6X9 at rear tray. ...
Of course with 4" in front that is the only solution. Arrey boss, here @cletusarrarr is trying to limit his budget and you are trying to make him spend more? Tut tut tut!!!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:30   #11398
BHPian

Quote:

Of course with 4" in front that is the only solution. Arrey boss, here @cletusarrarr is trying to limit his budget and you are trying to make him spend more? Tut tut tut!!!
Yeah! Sorry about that, unknowingly I said something which I should had avoided. Now I realise that why the ICE section guidelines are different then rest of the forum rules and need of reading "10 RISKS" thread

Last edited by tbppjpr : 23rd January 2012 at 13:56.
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:31   #11399
BHPian

i checked with the maruti guys and they said only a 4" speaker would fit in there, im attaching a picture of the side door of the wagon R, pretty keen on installing the JBL 6.5" components.

Quote:
Could you show me a picture of what this would turn out like ? I could then show n tell a local technician to see if possible, i believe it would look similar to the picture shared above by another member only it would be a MDF piece covering the entire triangle space ? Correct me if im wrong.

i have some time to decide as my Car is expected on Feb 4th.

Still need to workout the HU selection, something VFM, decent sounding and long lasting.

All of this should fit into 12k, i.e. 6k for the HU.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-sidedoor.jpg  

Old 24th January 2012, 00:59   #11400
BHPian

Also any suggestions on this ? Seems too good to be true
Auto Bild India

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks