Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 15:15   #11206
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
... The 4 door speakers are just ok but need some punch in my music now. ... (2 channel, 2X60 watts RMS) ...
1. Which is the better amp amongst the 2?
2. Can I mix the Sony Amp with the JBL amp? (to bring down the overal cost)
3. Is the sony 1 channel amp better in the RMS rating as compared to the 2 channel amps?
(got to know that bridged amps can more double the RMS ratings, instead of 2X60W it can go 1X150W)
4. Is there a better option in the 7K range (1.5K setting aside for the Wiring Kit + labor cost + enclosure)
Bad plan, this!

1. Putting in a sub and *not* amplifying the main speakers is a bad, bad idea. The result will be either weak bass, or so much bass that you will feel like changing the bass level for every song. That is because you have no independent control on the fronts, which puts out most of the music. Unless you have an HU which gives you a separate Sub pre-out, every time you increase volume, bass will go up

2. A 4channel amp makes more economic sense than a 2 channel one, since a 4ch amp costs much less than 2 2ch amps.

3. If you buy a 4ch amp, you can amp the fronts as well

4. Sony subwoofer gives a huff-and-a-puff kind of response - avoid

5. You can mix a JBL sub and a Sony amp, but not a JBL amp and Sony amp. The combination will cost ~7K. Not sure if you meant the cost of the sub box, RCA cables, wiring and installation is included in the 7K or you have set that aside
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 15:44   #11207
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Bad plan, this!

1. Putting in a sub and *not* amplifying the main speakers is a bad, bad idea. The result will be either weak bass, or so much bass that you will feel like changing the bass level for every song. That is because you have no independent control on the fronts, which puts out most of the music. Unless you have an HU which gives you a separate Sub pre-out, every time you increase volume, bass will go up

2. A 4channel amp makes more economic sense than a 2 channel one, since a 4ch amp costs much less than 2 2ch amps.

3. If you buy a 4ch amp, you can amp the fronts as well

4. Sony subwoofer gives a huff-and-a-puff kind of response - avoid

5. You can mix a JBL sub and a Sony amp, but not a JBL amp and Sony amp. The combination will cost ~7K. Not sure if you meant the cost of the sub box, RCA cables, wiring and installation is included in the 7K or you have set that aside
Thanks for the valuable inputs!
My Bad, I did mean mix and match the subwoofer with the Amp from different brands.

Thanks for clarifying that i would be bogged down by Bass with 2 channel setup. Now it makes sense to go for a 4 channel amp.
Please guide if this combination makes sense:
In the 4 channel amp, Bridge 2 channels for the sub and use the other 2 channels to drive the 4 door speakers?
Old 13th December 2011, 15:48   #11208
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that's how one does it.
* In case your HU has only 1 pre-out, with some amps the same signal from HU can be used by both pairs of channels, with some you might need to get an RCA Y-cable
* In case your HU doesn't have any pre-outs, you will need to get a Line Output Converter
Old 13th December 2011, 19:54   #11209

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
IMHO the speakers you got are fake. 9633i are made in Vietnam and the fakes are exact copy.Every product caters to the margins of dealer,distributor,importer etc.. For selling the 9633i at 3k the 9633i should be available lower than 2k anywhere abroad, which isn't true.
If you can post the pictures here,it would be better.

The GTO1004 is available for around 12.5k with bill, for 8k it may be genuine but i am not sure.

Final word from Sam !
PICTURES ATTACHED:
PLS TELL IF YOU CAN MAKE OUT ANYTHING
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-photo1101.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-photo1100.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-photo1095.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-photo1096.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-photo1097.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-photo1098.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-photo1099.jpg  

Old 13th December 2011, 21:01   #11210
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... Looks genuine enough to me. Unless they have used an old box and put fake speakers inside. Unlikely, there are just too many small things which fakers would find it tedious to reproduce!
Old 13th December 2011, 21:52   #11211
BHPian

HU for new fluidic Verna!

Hey guys. I hope this is the correct thread, couldn't find a better one.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to put a touch screen HU in the new Verna?? My friend who is going to book one soon wants to know, this info will help me too because i have nearly decided on the Verna my self! If the answer is yes then can we also get the steering controls connected to the HU? I am a noob in these things so any help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Old 13th December 2011, 22:16   #11212
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm... Looks genuine enough to me. Unless they have used an old box and put fake speakers inside. Unlikely, there are just too many small things which fakers would find it tedious to reproduce!
Seems genuine to me too but he got it for 3k. An officially imported product for half the price.How Is it possible?
50% price ?

Last edited by k2max6 : 13th December 2011 at 22:20.
Old 14th December 2011, 11:06   #11213

Quote:
Seems genuine to me too but he got it for 3k. An officially imported product for half the price.How Is it possible?
50% price ?

I'm just a mere customer who got it at this price for buying just one pair.
I'm sure the actual price will be cheaper (2.5 K - 2.9 K at best).
Just imagine how much the retailers are making!!!
I have gone through the "What ICE, what price" section and found that people have bought the pairs from 4K to 7k!!!!

BTW, I'm very happy with the SQ.
Old 14th December 2011, 11:57   #11214

Quote:

Yes, unlikely.
The box is a new one (pics enclosed) stickered May'11 import. The product code on the box & on the sticker are matching.
Even if its an old box with a new sticker, I doubt if speakers costed that less in last 5 years, I think it was even more. Over the last decade though prices of almost everything has increased, all electronic items such as this are a on a downward trend...see computers, lap tops, mobile phones, LCD, LED TV, pen drives etc...

This leads me to another doubt, why car audio systems are so much higher than home audio system?
For example:
A decent head unit, pairs of front & rare speakers, one 4 channel amp and a subwoofer plus wire & labour would cost no less than 25K whereas with the same money one can get a 32" LCD TV, a branded DVD player (mostly comes free with the TV!) and a 5.1 home theater system.

Is it the technology that is expensive or something else like all imports, duty, customs & stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-photo1102.jpg  

Old 14th December 2011, 11:59   #11215
Distinguished - BHPian

Am back! Quick recap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Thanks Navin. I went and had a detailed discussion with my car accs guy and ended up with your option 1: getting 6X9 ovals for the back on MDF tray and 6 1/2" door speakers in the front. Was keen on JBL but he convinced me to go for Rockford Fosgate all around.
Had a chance to set up the sound *my way* and am satisifed that this is a good setup. Just one thing: the Swift being a roomy car (comparing to my Vento here), I get the feeling I don't get the full effect of the speakers the way I do in my other car. If I turn it up too loud, it doesn't sound good but at lower volume, I don't enjoy the lows and mids as much as I should (not sure if I am able to express this properly )

Do you think adding an amp will give me the ambient effect I desire? I listen to rock, metal, blues and occasionally Bollywood stuff. What amp will go well with this setup? I have a Kenwood single DIN USB/AUX/MP3 CD player HU. Not very keen on a subwoofer since it eats up valuable boot space, but I may add it later.

Budget is about 8K.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:01   #11216
BHPian

Hi

I have bought a Tata Manza (Aura+) and it has been a wonderful 3.5K kms so far. To make it more enjoyable though, I am now looking to upgrade the ICE but in stages so that it wont burden me too much. I have been religiously following these threads so far to gain some knowledge and have come up with the following queries.

1. The front tweeter default location is such that they are firing upwards (towards the windshield). I wanted to know whether changing the location to face the driver is worth the effort in improving sound quality ( To rephrase, will it be a discernible difference? I dont have very keen ear for music yet!).

2. The rear speakers are in the tray instead of rear doors (a feature only present in Elan and Aura+ models). I wanted to know whether this location provides any specific advantage over fitting the speakers in rear doors.

3. I am not inclined towards messing around with the HU as it will render the steering controls useless. Hence I would like to use Amps with speaker level input to power the comps up front. Please advise whether this would suffice the need for a better sound OR I need to put in something else between the HU and Amp ( I remember reading something about an Audison thingy which enhances the sound but dont remember much).

4. I believe that stock size for front comps is 5.5 inches. I wanted to know whether upgrading the size to more prevalent 6.5" will be worth the effort in cutting open the panel door or even a good 5.5" comps will suffice.

I mainly listen to music with good bass hence any suggestion regarding a Components speakers for front would be very much appreciated.

TIA
Old 14th December 2011, 22:01   #11217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPhukan

Yes, unlikely.
The box is a new one (pics enclosed) stickered May'11 import. The product code on the box & on the sticker are matching.
Even if its an old box with a new sticker, I doubt if speakers costed that less in last 5 years, I think it was even more. ?
Since this seems like an officially imported product did you find the warranty card in it ? And was the hologramic seal opened in front of you ?
Even i got it for Rs.6300 this april with b&w.

Last edited by k2max6 : 14th December 2011 at 22:13.
Old 14th December 2011, 22:35   #11218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishant B View Post
Hi

I have bought a Tata Manza (Aura+) and it has been a wonderful 3.5K kms so far. To make it more enjoyable though, I am now looking to upgrade the ICE but in stages so that it wont burden me too much. I have been religiously following these threads so far to gain some knowledge and have come up with the following queries.

1. The front tweeter default location is such that they are firing upwards (towards the windshield). I wanted to know whether changing the location to face the driver is worth the effort in improving sound quality ( To rephrase, will it be a discernible difference? I dont have very keen ear for music yet!).

2. The rear speakers are in the tray instead of rear doors (a feature only present in Elan and Aura+ models). I wanted to know whether this location provides any specific advantage over fitting the speakers in rear doors.

3. I am not inclined towards messing around with the HU as it will render the steering controls useless. Hence I would like to use Amps with speaker level input to power the comps up front. Please advise whether this would suffice the need for a better sound OR I need to put in something else between the HU and Amp ( I remember reading something about an Audison thingy which enhances the sound but dont remember much).

4. I believe that stock size for front comps is 5.5 inches. I wanted to know whether upgrading the size to more prevalent 6.5" will be worth the effort in cutting open the panel door or even a good 5.5" comps will suffice.

I mainly listen to music with good bass hence any suggestion regarding a Components speakers for front would be very much appreciated.

TIA
1) Try changing the Trebble setting to maximum and see if the tweeters are adding value.

2) One value that i can think of is that Placing the speakers towards the middle of the car (Read parcel tray) that near the footwell (Read dooors) provide a better sound quality and output.

3) Amps and speaker change would translate to better sound quality and bass. Audison and Pioneer have sound processors if you need something like SRS / Dolby Prologic / Dolby BNR Surround in your car. This is mainly needed for watching action movies. This is best suited for SUV as they are larger than a sedan.

4) A practical suggestion would be to sell your stock speakers and go in for 5.5 compos from JBL/Infinity/Polk/Harman Kardon depending on how much your pocket will allow you to. This is far more easier and simpler than cutting door panels and make modifications.

General Suggestions:

Use Dynamat and damp the doors and boot. It will increase quality and reduce vibrations
Use a good quality wire to wire amp and speakers.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 14th December 2011 at 22:39.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:59   #11219

Quote:
Since this seems like an officially imported product did you find the warranty card in it ? And was the hologramic seal opened in front of you ?
Even i got it for Rs.6300 this april with b&w.
Yes!
The retailer made atleast 3300/- (152% profit) from you.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:58   #11220
BHPian

Thanks for the reply. Please see my reply/queries below

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
1) Try changing the Trebble setting to maximum and see if the tweeters are adding value.

Actually I am yet to buy speakers and just wanted to know whether making a custom pod to set tweeter will do justice to good component's tweeter (I am looking in the range of 6k imported from US).

2) One value that i can think of is that Placing the speakers towards the middle of the car (Read parcel tray) that near the footwell (Read dooors) provide a better sound quality and output.

Thanks for this info. I was a bit apprehensive that putting in heavy coaxials might result in rattle from the rear parcel tray (which is company fitted btw)!

3) Amps and speaker change would translate to better sound quality and bass. Audison and Pioneer have sound processors if you need something like SRS / Dolby Prologic / Dolby BNR Surround in your car. This is mainly needed for watching action movies. This is best suited for SUV as they are larger than a sedan.

Good to know this. I understand that I should initially go only for amp and front comps. If I found anything lacking then I go for these sound processors.

4) A practical suggestion would be to sell your stock speakers and go in for 5.5 compos from JBL/Infinity/Polk/Harman Kardon depending on how much your pocket will allow you to. This is far more easier and simpler than cutting door panels and make modifications.

As mentioned earlier, I am thinking of getting front comps (5K) and 2 channel amp (~5K).I am planning to get them from US through a friend so any suggestions as to which one will be suited towards bass heavy music? I am planning to power the OEM rear speakers solely through HU to deliver bass. Any thoughts if that would work out fine?

General Suggestions:

Use Dynamat and damp the doors and boot. It will increase quality and reduce vibrations
Use a good quality wire to wire amp and speakers.

These are in my things to do list. I realize that damping the doors can be the cheapest audio upgrade we can do to our cars!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks