Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 11:55   #11191
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I want to upgrade ICE in my Spark. I will retain my headunit, kenwood KDC u349. I have a budget of 12k-14k. Which of these would be a better option :

1) Front : 4 " with amplifier
Rear : 6x9

2) Front : 6.5 "
Rear : 6x9

3) Front : 6.5 "
Rear : sub wit amp

Anything else that i can try out ?

Last edited by rahul_9327 : 9th December 2011 at 12:15.
Old 9th December 2011, 13:31   #11192
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

No. 2 - 6.5" + 6x9. Amp will make it better. Once you are feeling the need for deeper bass, get a sub.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:33   #11193
BHPian

HI Guys

I've got couple of equipments for ICE upgrade. As of now, I have kenwood X7016 and Kenwood amplifier XR-4S. Now I need suggestions for comps. I'm tibking of Digital Designs CD6.5. Does anybody have a review about them. Or suggestions welcome. Budget is 6-7K. Loooking for SQ + SP requirement.

Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 00:03   #11194

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The amp you are using will probably deliver about 150W rms 2 channels bridged @ 4 ohms. Sam knows more but it is defintely wont deliver 800W to your sub.

However 150W is adequate for the sub. In a sealed box the volume of the bass will be lower but the bass will be a bit tighter (aka better defined). In a ported box you will get more volume but less definition also IF you are going ported AND if the amp has a subsonic filter (HPF at 25Hz or so) use this filter.
Navin, seems Sam's busy.
developed a wild query today after purchasing a pair of infinity 9633i @ 3000/-.
purchased it from a Karol Bagh dealer who is a whole seller/distributor of only JBL stuff.
Queries are:
1) how come they are selling @ 3000/- an IMPORTED product which is MRPed at 7990/-(import date May 2011)? Its Harman not Walmart!
G ha, cheap mila toh bhi problem hai!
Sam, whose malpractice is this?

2) how does one check if those are fake or real as those look real neat packaged and neater finish? We (Indians) are so illiterate & cheap!!!
Only by Bar & EAN codes matching (we check) ??? Those are just printed stickers.
Web sites don't contain an info!!!

3) It sounds OK, though playing only from HU as of now. Seller says those are way better than GTO949 though couldn't audition them. He himself installed 9633i's in his Esteem. heard'em before buying. Must have got it for free! Mine are made is Vietnam. (felt better knowing its NOT Chinese)

Pirates are everywhere!!!!
Johnny (Depp), Johnny (Depp), yes papa....

P.S. I'm getting brand new & sealed amp GT 1004 @ 8000/- (MRP 14449/-) !!!

Note: Who cares about warranty if one's getting @ < 50% of the price???
Old 12th December 2011, 10:09   #11195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPhukan View Post
Queries are:
1) how come they are selling @ 3000/- an IMPORTED product which is MRPed at 7990/-(import date May 2011)? Its Harman not Walmart!

2) how does one check if those are fake or real as those look real neat packaged and neater finish?

3) It sounds OK, though playing only from HU as of now.
PJP, I am not from the industry and I do cannot comment on the practices of various dealers. I'd be lying if I said there was no grey market stuff in the market and yes the pricing is mad but that is the way it is.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:07   #11196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPhukan View Post
Navin, seems Sam's busy.
developed a wild query today after purchasing a pair of infinity 9633i @ 3000/-.
purchased it from a Karol Bagh dealer who is a whole seller/distributor of only JBL stuff.
Queries are:
G ha, cheap mila toh bhi problem hai!
Sam, whose malpractice is this?

3) It sounds OK, though playing only from HU as of now. Seller says those are way better than GTO949 though couldn't audition them. He himself installed 9633i's in his Esteem. heard'em before buying. Must have got it for free! Mine are made is Vietnam. (felt better knowing its NOT Chinese)

Pirates are everywhere!!!!
Johnny (Depp), Johnny (Depp), yes papa....

P.S. I'm getting brand new & sealed amp GT 1004 @ 8000/- (MRP 14449/-) !!!

Note: Who cares about warranty if one's getting @ < 50% of the price???
IMHO the speakers you got are fake. 9633i are made in Vietnam and the fakes are exact copy.Every product caters to the margins of dealer,distributor,importer etc.. For selling the 9633i at 3k the 9633i should be available lower than 2k anywhere abroad, which isn't true.
If you can post the pictures here,it would be better.

The GTO1004 is available for around 12.5k with bill, for 8k it may be genuine but i am not sure.

Final word from Sam !
Old 12th December 2011, 17:19   #11197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No. 2 - 6.5" + 6x9. Amp will make it better. Once you are feeling the need for deeper bass, get a sub.
Just curious. Any particular reason why you chose 6.5" + 6x9 over 6.5" + sub ? Thought latter was the more preferred option.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:37   #11198
Senior - BHPian

In a Spark you start with a sub, you will land up hearing terrible boom boom only, unless someone with a lot of experience in tuning tunes it. It really becomes overpowering.

If one starts with 6x9 behind, one gets a feeling of low bass at a lower cost, yet the bass in not overpowering. For most people this is satisfying, till - especially when hearing other systems - one realizes that the low notes need a boost. By this time, one would have got used to figuring out what is missing, while at the same time appreciating the balance. It is then that the sub is a valuable addition.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 18:25   #11199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
In a Spark you start with a sub, you will land up hearing terrible boom boom only, unless someone with a lot of experience in tuning tunes it. It really becomes overpowering.

If one starts with 6x9 behind, one gets a feeling of low bass at a lower cost, yet the bass in not overpowering. For most people this is satisfying, till - especially when hearing other systems - one realizes that the low notes need a boost. By this time, one would have got used to figuring out what is missing, while at the same time appreciating the balance. It is then that the sub is a valuable addition.
That was neatly explained, thanks. In fact i had similar upgrade plans for my Spark too in the near future ala a fellow bhpian spark owner.
On that note, would like to clarify on another thing. Would a 6.5" compo make a huge difference to 4" compo driven by an amp.
Old 12th December 2011, 18:42   #11200
Senior - BHPian

A very large difference, yes. The difference is in the reproduction of lower mid-bass region (deep male voice, tabla bayan, drum thump etc.) by the front speakers. With 4" not going down that low, you will hear that from the rear 6x9, effectively pulling the sound stage towards the rear. The bass also feels it is coming from the rear, which is not a nice feeling.

The amp will refine across the spectrum (better mids and highs) but the lower mid-bass will still be irksome because 4" not going very low.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 22:17   #11201
BHPian

I am searching for stock speaker replacements in Punto (Emotion Pk; planning to keep stock HU as of now). Front replacing with components.
But confused with Rear install, whether to go for 6x9 on MDF Parcel Tray or replace with Coaxials on the door.
Which will be a wise option, if not going for a Sub-woofer install now. One advantage I foresee is that I don't need to door damping(2-3k save) in case going for Tray install.
Old 12th December 2011, 23:24   #11202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
I am searching for stock speaker replacements in Punto (Emotion Pk; planning to keep stock HU as of now). Front replacing with components.
But confused with Rear install, whether to go for 6x9 on MDF Parcel Tray or replace with Coaxials on the door.
Which will be a wise option, if not going for a Sub-woofer install now. One advantage I foresee is that I don't need to door damping(2-3k save) in case going for Tray install.
@Twini, I thought this may be of help. I have recently revamped my I20 ICE, it also came with stock HU and speakers. Though the quality of OEM speakers were very good so i decided to retain them. I have added a 4 ch amp to the setup, its powering front speakers and tweeters (OEM) using 2 Channels and the rest 2 channels are powering Rear Parcel tray (Boston Coax 6*9 Oval) speakers . The rear door speakers are played by the HU directly and there is an Active subwoofer under the drivers seat (It doesnt need Amp).
The OEM HU works great with the setup, to enable the SUB i have to fade towards the rear and around R4 and R5 it sounds awesome.
All you need is some Y cables , few Line level Converters and rest all you can decide.
So not to show off, but at this time the system I am listening to is 8.1 surround sound.

Last edited by garry.brant : 12th December 2011 at 23:26.
garry.brant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 23:33   #11203
Senior - BHPian

I am replacing age old Sony HU in my Accent. As my main listening content is Podcasts, i connect my phone to the HU and play the podcasts from my phone.

The two ways i know to connect my phone to HU are Bluetooth and AUX in cable. I prefer the former for it's clutter free and easy connectivity.

I don't have a big budget though. Rs.6-7K. Will i get a HU which can stream audio from my phone? Answering and making calls is not required.

If no BT in my budget, what is the best HU at my budget with AUX. I don't want to USB drives because my PC-Phone ecosystem is important for me and i don't wish to bring a third piece in to the workflow.

My car has OEM speakers provided by Hyundai. No plan to change them as the car is old and all i need is listening to my podcasts.

Please suggest good model HU within my budget.
Old 13th December 2011, 01:08   #11204
BHPian

I am searching for a double din HU for my new Swift. Please suggest a good model within 10-12k. Yea, budget is quite tight, as I intend to spend more on acquiring a good pair of components for the front. 20k total for HU and comps.

Thanks guys!!
Old 13th December 2011, 09:36   #11205
BHPian

Hi Guys, planning for a Subwoofer setup in my figo.
The 4 door speakers are just ok but need some punch in my music now. Looking for a low cost setup for a decent Amp and Subwoofer for budget 8K

I was able to figure out JBL or Sony would be good enough and here are the options i'm getting

JBL setup:
Amp: GT-X424 (2 channel, 2X60 watts RMS) - INR 4100/-
Sub: JBL CS 1215 (12", SVC, 275 watts RMS) - INR 2800/-

Sony setup:
Amp: XM-GTX6022 (2 channel, 2X60 watts RMS) - INR 3500/- or
XM-SW1 (1 channel, 1X140 watts RMS) - INR 3500/-

Sub: XS-GTX1202L (12", SVC, 300 watts RMS) - INR 3400/-

Now here are the questions:
1. Which is the better amp amongst the 2?
2. Can I mix the Sony Amp with the JBL amp? (to bring down the overal cost)
3. Is the sony 1 channel amp better in the RMS rating as compared to the 2 channel amps?
(got to know that bridged amps can more double the RMS ratings, instead of 2X60W it can go 1X150W)
4. Is there a better option in the 7K range (1.5K setting aside for the Wiring Kit + labor cost + enclosure)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks