Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 16:53   #11176
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

PJP, I don't think you will be satisfied with a 4" speaker and a subwoofer. You will miss a lot of mid-bass frequencies.

4" is not good enough to deliver an even full range experience above 70hz.
Old 5th December 2011, 18:32   #11177
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Sir do all head units have the same connectors ? I want to replace my 7yr kenwood 4026g with pioneer 149 usb Hu . As I want to retain my speakers , and I can remove my head unit out of my dash by myself , regulary do so to clean the cd lens as the playr being old now skipping I do not wish to have an installer cut wires in my 04 alto as I had earlier bought the Hu from the dealer and they had installed it for me . So is it simple plug and play ? Hu power supply connector ,speaker wires (L/R) and antenna wire ?
Old 5th December 2011, 19:21   #11178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Sir do all head units have the same connectors ? I want to replace my 7yr kenwood 4026g with pioneer 149 usb Hu . As I want to retain my speakers , and I can remove my head unit out of my dash by myself , regulary do so to clean the cd lens as the playr being old now skipping I do not wish to have an installer cut wires in my 04 alto as I had earlier bought the Hu from the dealer and they had installed it for me . So is it simple plug and play ? Hu power supply connector ,speaker wires (L/R) and antenna wire ?
It actually depends on the system. Look out for a system with the same "back" and it should be a plug and play job. The existing wiring can be used. Also, to change speakers if needed, the existing wiring can be used, just replace the speakers at the other end.

Having said the above, it is advicable to change the wiring on your car, since its nearly 7 years old.

New Wiring + new HU + new wiring will definetly increase the sound quality of your music.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 22:45   #11179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
PJP, I don't think you will be satisfied with a 4" speaker and a subwoofer. You will miss a lot of mid-bass frequencies.

Sam, it feels you are correct.
Reminding you of my sorry looking budget of 10,000/-(max).
I'll keep the rear speaker (have only one as one got stolen recently!) and connect it to HU. May be this will give me some mid bass. I'll fix a new pair maybe couple of months later (GTO 949, got a quote of Rs3200/-)

Front: JBL CS4 (got a new quote today Rs900/-)
AMP: JBL GT5 S644 (new quote Rs5400/-)
Sub: not yet finalized, may be a 10" JBL 1100 Watt (Rs2500/-)speaker and an encloser.

As of now this is the plan. Know not at all perfect but...
One doubt, will the above amp which is of 800 W only, be able to power the sub (1100 W) adequately along with the fronts?

Do comment on anything!
Old 5th December 2011, 23:24   #11180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir do all head units have the same connectors ?
No. But often different head units from the same brand have the same type of connectors.

Quote:
I do not wish to have an installer cut wires in my 04 alto as I had earlier bought the Hu from the dealer and they had installed it for me . So is it simple plug and play ? Hu power supply connector ,speaker wires (L/R) and antenna wire ?
Your 2004 Alto must have already had its wires cut in order to install the head unit.
It won't be plug and play, but yes, in essence all head units have the same colour combination for wires

Below is a typical japanese head unit configuration

Yellow: +12V always on
Red: +12V switchable/ignition
Black: Chassis/Earth/Ground
Blue: Trigger out for amplifier (only to be used with amplifier/optional)
Orange: Illumination (optional)

Purple/Purple black, Green/Green black, White/white black, grey/ grey black - 4 speakers

Antenna is usually a plug-in. Motorola type for most Japanese/Korean head units, FAKRA or Euro for European.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 00:13   #11181
BHPian

My innova vx spec is turning two next month and I plan to upgrade the ICE on her birthday. Need advice and inputs on products and installers.had been toan installer who suggests all products from pioneer which kinda dint impress me.budget 70-90k .location Mumbai.
Old 6th December 2011, 18:46   #11182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
My innova vx spec is turning two next month and I plan to upgrade the ICE on her birthday. Need advice and inputs on products and installers.had been toan installer who suggests all products from pioneer which kinda dint impress me.budget 70-90k .location Mumbai.
Wow 90K is a good budget, Caska HU is good, but the only problem is finding a connector for the Steering controls. It is not available easily i guess. Try pioneer its good and connectors for steering are comparitively easily sourcable.

JBL / Polk audio speakers are good.

Pioneer AVH-P4390DVD - Fits Innova and Fortuner. - 28,000

Infinity KAPPA65.9CS - Front - 16,000

Infinity REF6530CS - Rear - 9,000

JBL-GTX646 - Amplifier - for 4 speakers - 9,000

JBL GTO 3501 - For Woofer - 15,000

JBL CS1215 T - Woofer - 7,000/-

Wiring - 6,000

Installation (Labor) Free when you spend 1 lac on ICE. you should get a 5-8% discount at the very least if you buy all these products from a sngle shop.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 6th December 2011 at 18:47.
Old 6th December 2011, 22:31   #11183

Quote:

Bought couple of items today:

1) GT5 S 204 (Rs900/-)

2) GT5 S 12 (Rs2000/-)

Replaced the fronts and whoa!
Clarity is distinct. Slightly bright on ears, but CLEAR!
Thanks guys!
Now thinking of buying a pair of infinity over GTO 949.
Amp & installations by this weekend
Old 7th December 2011, 00:02   #11184

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPhukan View Post

2) GT5 S 12
Pls advice if I should go for a ported or sealed enclosure for the 1200 W sub as the amp is about 800W(JBL GTX 646) only
Old 7th December 2011, 12:09   #11185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Reminding you of my sorry looking budget of 10,000/-(max).!
Which is why I figured if PJP HPFed the 4" at 125Hz and LPFed the Sub at say 100Hz he'd be ok given that his budget did not have room for rear speakers.

Quote:
1) GT5 S 204 (Rs900/-)
2) GT5 S 12 (Rs2000/-)
Now thinking of buying a pair of infinity over GTO 949.
Amp & installations by this weekend
I thought the GT5 were replaced bt GT6. Never mind.

Great so you will now have a budget for rear fills as well. I'd consider getting 699 GT6 for the rear to keep the tonal balance the same as the front.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:19   #11186

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Which is why I figured if PJP HPFed the 4" at 125Hz and LPFed the Sub at say 100Hz he'd be ok given that his budget did not have room for rear speakers.

I thought the GT5 were replaced bt GT6. Never mind.

Great so you will now have a budget for rear fills as well. I'd consider getting 699 GT6 for the rear to keep the tonal balance the same as the front.
Why not 300 W infinity 6x9 coaxials? Won't they be better? Im getting a quote of 3000/- for those.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:37   #11187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why not 300 W infinity 6x9 coaxials? Won't they be better? Im getting a quote of 3000/- for those.
Nothing against Infinity (JBL and Infinity are both Harman Intl. brands) just was looking at retaining the tonal balance. At 3K per pair the Infinity is a great buy.
Old 8th December 2011, 01:06   #11188

Quote:
Nothing against Infinity (JBL and Infinity are both Harman Intl. brands) just was looking at retaining the tonal balance. At 3K per pair the Infinity is a great buy.
Navin, many many thanks for being so patient to me!
Infinity pair will be inhouse tomorrow, no today (its 1 am now)!
Im going to put them in sealed boxes, no tray!

Pls tell me about my sub-woofer box query above pls!!!
Ported or sealed?
Old 8th December 2011, 11:03   #11189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
AMP: JBL GT5 S644 (new quote Rs5400/-)
One doubt, will the above amp which is of 800 W only!
Quote:
Pls tell me about my sub-woofer box query above pls!!!
Ported or sealed?
The amp you are using will probably deliver about 150W rms 2 channels bridged @ 4 ohms. Sam knows more but it is defintely wont deliver 800W to your sub.

However 150W is adequate for the sub. In a sealed box the volume of the bass will be lower but the bass will be a bit tighter (aka better defined). In a ported box you will get more volume but less definition also IF you are going ported AND if the amp has a subsonic filter (HPF at 25Hz or so) use this filter.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:08   #11190

Quote:
The amp you are using will probably deliver about 150W rms 2 channels bridged @ 4 ohms. Sam knows more but it is defintely wont deliver 800W to your sub.

However 150W is adequate for the sub. In a sealed box the volume of the bass will be lower but the bass will be a bit tighter (aka better defined). In a ported box you will get more volume but less definition also IF you are going ported AND if the amp has a subsonic filter (HPF at 25Hz or so) use this filter.
Sam, need your thoughts (on bold & underlined) please.
Sub: GT5 S12
AMP: GTX 646.
Think I should go for sealed box (L40 x D38 x H36 cms) as ported boxes are bigger and I have limited boot space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks