Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 14:09   #11161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hard rock may not, but Hip-hop, Rap, D&B, electronic etc. definitely would. Even for Lata, many songs that have cello (acoustic) bass could use a sub for enhanced / complete enjoyment.

Getting everything within 20K is rather difficult (4-6K for an HU with at least 1 pre-out, ~6K for a pair of good components up front, ~4K for a pair of co-axes at the back, ~6K for a 4-ch amp, 4K at least for a sub and ~2K for wiring and installation - that makes it ~24-28K). And this is just to listen to music, no video.
Old 30th November 2011, 15:19   #11162

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hi, need some sound advice on my thoughts of upgrading my existing system.
My car is Spark PS and the existing system is:

1) Pioneer HU (DEH 3080) ( like the system and don't want to replace it)
2) Front: 4" Sony coaxial
3) Rare: 6 x 9 Sony x-plod Coaxials (enclosed in boxes, I don't want to use tray)

Off late its been very boring and uninspiring to hear the music and too much of buzzing of esp the front speakers at medium volume. I listen to rock music (blues to heavy metal) through pen drives and prefer clear and crispy sound with decent bass. Last whole week I was reading the numerous posts here in team-bhp and finally thought of putting it across directly.

My thoughts:

1) I should get an amp.
2) I should replace speakers (not sure if all 4 or only rare two) with JBL may be (JBL GTO series seems to be a fav here in TB)
3) Sub woofer in will eat the total boot as already I have two boxes for the rare speakers. Think my current budget will not allow a sub.

My budget is 8000/-
What are options guys?
Please tell and help me asap this thing is eating my head.
Would really appreciate is the prescribed items are suggested with model nr.

Thanks!!!
Old 30th November 2011, 15:35   #11163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPhukan View Post
1) Pioneer HU (DEH 3080) ( like the system and don't want to replace it)
2) Front: 4" Sony coaxial
3) Rare: 6 x 9 Sony x-plod Coaxials (enclosed in boxes, I don't want to use tray)

much of buzzing of esp the front speakers

1) I should get an amp.
2) I should replace speakers
3) Sub woofer in will eat the total boot as already I have two boxes for the rare speakers. Think my current budget will not allow a sub.

My budget is 8000/-
1. Get good front speakers and get 4 ch. amp.
2. Use HPF on amp to feed front speakers only 80Hz+ signal.
3. Run rear speakers fullrange (no LPF or HPF).

You will need about 12-14K to do all this. 6K for the amp, 4K for the front speakers and 2-4K for wires and labour.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 15:50   #11164

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. Get good front speakers and get 4 ch. amp.
2. Use HPF on amp to feed front speakers only 80Hz+ signal.
3. Run rear speakers fullrange (no LPF or HPF).

You will need about 12-14K to do all this. 6K for the amp, 4K for the front speakers and 2-4K for wires and labour.
Thanks Navin for the super quick reply!
My further queries:

1) I replace my fronts with what: coaxials or components? I do not know good speakers, (pardon my ignorance) please feel free to suggest models.
2) Also the same goes for amp, which JBL model would you suggest?
3) Will I get a decent bass with this set up or do I need to replace rare ones also? (JBL GTO 638/640/699/948)
I'm so confused!!!!
Old 30th November 2011, 16:17   #11165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Navin for the super quick reply!
My further queries:

1) I replace my fronts with what: coaxials or components? I do not know good speakers, (pardon my ignorance) please feel free to suggest models.
2) Also the same goes for amp, which JBL model would you suggest?
3) Will I get a decent bass with this set up or do I need to replace rare ones also? (JBL GTO 638/640/699/948)
I'm so confused!!!!
Components will cost more and require you to mount the tweeters higher up (which might be an issue if your car does not ahve tweter pods) but they do sound better (in most cases).

JBL has a cheaper series called CS. They may be adequate for your needs.
Old 30th November 2011, 16:47   #11166

Quote:
Components will cost more and require you to mount the tweeters higher up (which might be an issue if your car does not ahve tweter pods) but they do sound better (in most cases).

JBL has a cheaper series called CS. They may be adequate for your needs.
Noted.
checked in net after your suggestions and found the following:

1) JBL CS 4 (for front)
One doubt, its specifications are almost same as that of sony xplod xs-gtf10272 which I believe is my existing speakers. So, would changing it to CS 4 will make any difference in sound quality?

2) Please reply to my 3rd query on rare speakers also in my last post.

Thanks!
Old 1st December 2011, 08:22   #11167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm so confused!!!!
Quote:
Noted.
2) Please reply to my 3rd query on rare speakers also in my last post.
Hello Phukan,

Of course you would be confused. You're looking for rare speakers instead of rear.
The confusion is that the rear speakers are in fact most commonly available and therefor rather far from rare.

Jokes apart, the Sony speakers you have in the rear are rather mediocre and changing those will give you added bass and better highs and vocals too. But, if you drive yourself, get the front speakers fixed up on a higher priority.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 12:50   #11168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hello Phukan,

Of course you would be confused. You're looking for rare speakers instead of rear.
The confusion is that the rear speakers are in fact most commonly available and therefor rather far from rare.

Jokes apart, the Sony speakers you have in the rear are rather mediocre and changing those will give you added bass and better highs and vocals too. But, if you drive yourself, get the front speakers fixed up on a higher priority.
Hehe!!!
Dear Sam, thanks for replying!
I'm a kind of fan of yours (your nano drive, your Greece trip....) and Navin, you too!
Yes, I drive myself and and will be out today for the speaker hunt.
Regarding the rare ones, oops, the rear ones, please pick one model nr for me!!!
Old 1st December 2011, 13:35   #11169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) JBL CS 4 (for front)
One doubt, its specifications are almost same as that of sony xplod xs-gtf10272 which I believe is my existing speakers. So, would changing it to CS 4 will make any difference in sound quality?
Published specifications dont tell much. Listen to the speaker.

A pair of 6x9 speakers will not produce the quantity or quality of bass of a 12" woofer (even if they have the same Sd as a single 12"). 6x9" are usually designed for midbass use and go about as low as 45Hz. This is fine for most music at moderate levels.

The good thing is that since they are usually mounted on a rear deck, they are part of a efficeint speaker system (the whole trunk is the box) and can can be easily driven from a HU. A subwoofer, on the other hand, demands an amplifier.

Quote:
Yes, I drive myself and and will be out today for the speaker hunt.
Regarding the rare ones, oops, the rear ones, please pick one model nr for me!!!
Sam cannot pick a model as he is part of the industry and cannot recommend the brand(s) he represents. That said JBL's CS series is a good place to start. Reasonable quality for the price and well distributed and supported.

However I'd recommend listening to 2-3 brands JBL, Blaupnkt, etc.. are a few you can start with.
Old 1st December 2011, 14:50   #11170

Quote:
Published specifications dont tell much. Listen to the speaker.

A pair of 6x9 speakers will not produce the quantity or quality of bass of a 12" woofer (even if they have the same Sd as a single 12"). 6x9" are usually designed for midbass use and go about as low as 45Hz. This is fine for most music at moderate levels.

The good thing is that since they are usually mounted on a rear deck, they are part of a efficeint speaker system (the whole trunk is the box) and can can be easily driven from a HU. A subwoofer, on the other hand, demands an amplifier.

Sam cannot pick a model as he is part of the industry and cannot recommend the brand(s) he represents. That said JBL's CS series is a good place to start. Reasonable quality for the price and well distributed and supported.

However I'd recommend listening to 2-3 brands JBL, Blaupnkt, etc.. are a few you can start with.
Noted Navin.
I will listen to the to some speakers.

In one of Sam's post dated 2/10/2007, quoting "The GT5 series is a brand new series. As of now JBL has 2 commercially successful series - GTO 7series and CS series. The GTO is generally more path breaking and technologically advanced, while the CS series is generally made out of older GTO technology, often the last years.
....All CS series speakers and amplifiers have now been discontinued. Only the CS series Subwoofer Tube and Sealed box will remain current.
Please consider this fact when making your next JBL purchase."

Is this relevant in my issue?
Also, noted the difficulty of Sam's to suggest a particular model for the speakers. I should tell you that I have made my mind to go for JBL.

Thanks!
Old 1st December 2011, 16:32   #11171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In one of Sam's post dated 2/10/2007, quoting "The GT5 series is a brand new series. As of now JBL has 2 commercially successful series - GTO 7series and CS series. The GTO is generally more path breaking and technologically advanced, while the CS series is generally made out of older GTO technology, often the last years.
....All CS series speakers and amplifiers have now been discontinued. Only the CS series Subwoofer Tube and Sealed box will remain current.
Please consider this fact when making your next JBL purchase."

Is this relevant in my issue?

I should tell you that I have made my mind to go for JBL.
Since you have already made up your mind, I will help you with model nomenclature.

For rear 6X9 speakers, you can choose between MS, GTO, GT6 and CS in descending order.

There is only one CS 6X9 model and is designed as a VFM product. The GT5 no longer exist.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st December 2011 at 16:33.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 21:33   #11172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Since you have already made up your mind, I will help you with model nomenclature.

For rear 6X9 speakers, you can choose between MS, GTO, GT6 and CS in descending order.

There is only one CS 6X9 model and is designed as a VFM product. The GT5 no longer exist.
Dear Sam & Navin,

Went to a recommended shop (Motor concept, Delhi) and checked couple of speakers.

1) JBL CS 4 (Rs 1400/-)
2) Rock ford 4" coaxial (Rs 2400/- forgot model nr)
3) JBL GTO 949 (Rs 4200/-)
4) Hertz DCX 690 (Rs 3600/-)
5) Cables (Rs 1800/-)

4 channel Amp: Kenwood KAC- M846 (Rs 6000/-) JBL amsps were not available (sad!) and all other models were out of budget

All prices are with bill.
They are recommending Rock ford 4" coaxial for front (as my car has slots for 4" only) and hertz for rear ones,.
Sound audition was not done today and hopefully will revisit on coming monday. Know I will get a better idea after the audition only but not sure of the kenwood amps. May be I should visit some more shops as surprisingly I found very less JBL products there.

One more suggestion was given which was instead of rear ones, a sub woofer can be installed.

Sirs, opinions
Life is so hard (as a rock)!
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:19   #11173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) JBL CS 4 (Rs 1400/-)
2) Rock ford 4" coaxial (Rs 2400/- forgot model nr)
3) JBL GTO 949 (Rs 4200/-)
4) Hertz DCX 690 (Rs 3600/-)
5) Cables (Rs 1800/-)

They are recommending Rock ford 4" coaxial for front (as my car has slots for 4" only) and hertz for rear ones,.
Why are you listening to what "THEY" are recomending? Listen to the speakers instead!
Old 3rd December 2011, 18:02   #11174

Quote:
Why are you listening to what "THEY" are recomending? Listen to the speakers instead!
Monday will be the audition day!
Checked couple of other shops today as the last shop did not have JBL products.

Rates:
AMP ( 4 channel): JBL 646 : Rs 6000/-
JBL GTO 6x9 Coaxial Rear: Rs 3500/-
JBL CS 4: Rs1200/-

Shop guy opines that front speakers should be connected to HU not amp as they are 4", not 6" components.
Are the rare speakers really necessary if I add a sub?
Old 5th December 2011, 12:09   #11175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shop guy opines that front speakers should be connected to HU not amp as they are 4", not 6" components.
Are the rare speakers really necessary if I add a sub?
Rear speakers do provide rear fill - nice not but necessary.

You can use the amp's HPF (set to say 125Hz) to protect the 4" from over excursion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks