Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 18:45   #10801
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

That is very strange, @kimified, that you are unhappy with the amplified comps. Don't you have any ovals on the parcel shelf to give a feeling of bass? Probably the lack of deep bass is making you dissatisfied? What kind of music do you listen to.

Probably a bit of tuning will get more out of the Kappa components. Where in Bangalore are you located?

Try an Infinity Kappa 120.9 sub (9K nowadays, I think) - needs a decently small box. If you want the boot floor free, you could even think of a FG custom box on the right side of the boot. Will go deep and tight.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:27   #10802
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

@DerAlte. Bang on. I am missing the bass effect . I have not added anything other than the infinity comps and the amplifier. Had a fixed budget of 30k for the first stage of upgrade. I could have managed to get the sub, comps and the amp if I had brought lesser priced components and amp. But I thought ill get the sub later along with the HU.
The amp + comps + wiring kit + level converter took out all my budget.

And I am driving the rear co ax direct from the HU. so there is a big volume difference i get. Its front heavy . i.e , I can hardly hear any sound from the rear, when I increase the volume, the front comps also go high. So its like all the sound is coming from the comps in the front only. Fader didn't help either. I am a novice in ICE related stuff. I have a diagram I wrote myself of all the connections made when i got the things done 3 months back. Here it is

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-171114_10150172591695898_505865897_8499197_2883675_o.jpg

I listen to English (Mainly Trance and Pop and rarely Hard Rock), Bollywood and Kannada too. A 40 40 20 percent distribution respectively.

Infinity Kappa 120.9 is strangely not listed on the Infinity Indian website. I will check them out. Thank you so much. Just one doubt, How about the Pioneer subs (Champion Series). Are they out of my 5 to 8k Budget? Or is the 120.9 equally good or better. I see that the frequency range and the sensitivity of 120.9 is better than the regular series subs in Pioneer Indian website.

I stay in Jayanagar 4th T block, Bangalore.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:59   #10803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
I have Infinity Kappa 60.9 CS comps in the front and JBL GTO 1004 Amplifier in my I20 .

1) I am looking at replacing the stock HU with the JVC AVX 836. .. I have an option between pioneer 4250 and the JVC 836. ..I have heard people say that the Pio has a better screen compared to the JVC, But when i checked the specs, The resolution on both of them are the same. Or, Am i missing something?

2) I am looking at installing a Sub woofer too. My overall budget is 40 - 42 k. The JVC HU with the Fascia and the Steering mounted control interface will come upto 34 approximately (28 + 3.5 + 3). Please suggest me a good sub woofer in the 5 to 8k range.
Quote:
And I am driving the rear co ax direct from the HU. so there is a big volume difference i get. ..Fader didn't help either.
1. Just one pair of 6" in the door will nto give you the bass you desire. I assume you are using only 2 out of the 4 channels of the 1004 to drive the subs.

2. You can adjust the gain control on the amp to balance the sound betweenthe front and rear speakers if the fader is not adequate.

3. The 836 is a more VFM HU than the 4250 but the 4250 does have a more viabrant display and even some rudimentary Time Alignment.

4. In the 5-8K range you subwoofer options are limited to JBL, Pioneer and Bull Audio. I dont know other subwoofers that are in this price range. Infinity, Ground Zero, Focal, Boston will cost you 10K+.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:06   #10804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest me a good sub woofer in the 5 to 8k range. I will audition all different ones suggested here and then decide on one based on my taste. Lesser space occupied, the better.
You may audition iD's CTX 12.4, its one of the best subs at a price of 8k. However, the price of the sub is excluding the enclosure (which'll cost another 1-1.5k).
Else, as mentioned by Navin, your options would be limited to JBL/Bull/Pioneer within this budget.
But once you audition iD's CTX I don't think you'd want any of the JBL/Bull/Pioneer entry-level subs.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:29   #10805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... And I am driving the rear co ax direct from the HU. so there is a big volume difference i get. Its front heavy ....
Just as I thought - your initial installation was not tuned properly. Try doing it yourself:
- Set fader to roughly R2 or R3
- Increase the gain of the front channels of the amp ever so slightly
- Fade slightly more to the rear and see if that suits you

Actually, if you are in the front seat, you should not be hearing the rear channels at all, or maybe just a little bit if you lean your head to the rear.

Quote:
... Infinity Kappa 120.9 is strangely not listed on the Infinity Indian website. ... I stay in Jayanagar 4th T block, Bangalore.
Pio subs - the ones that are regularly available - don't hold a candle to the Infinity ones. Of course it is listed on the website - 2nd row, 2nd column! The better installers like EVO Cambridge Layout (Satya, blueraven316 on the forum), Autofusion near Koramangala Club (Thouqueer, thouqueer on the forum), TMC Electronics on East End Road (Venu, kURETI on the forum) etc. can get you the sub and match it with a good box.

If you want to limit your budget, try the Infinity REF1260. The installers can give you demo of other subs. You don't need to buy anything other than the sub, a box for it and may be some cable to connect it - you already have 2 channels free on a great amp to power it.
Old 6th April 2011, 22:40   #10806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. Just one pair of 6" in the door will nto give you the bass you desire. I assume you are using only 2 out of the 4 channels of the 1004 to drive the subs.

2. You can adjust the gain control on the amp to balance the sound betweenthe front and rear speakers if the fader is not adequate.

3. The 836 is a more VFM HU than the 4250 but the 4250 does have a more viabrant display and even some rudimentary Time Alignment.

4. In the 5-8K range you subwoofer options are limited to JBL, Pioneer and Bull Audio. I dont know other subwoofers that are in this price range. Infinity, Ground Zero, Focal, Boston will cost you 10K+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
You may audition iD's CTX 12.4, its one of the best subs at a price of 8k. However, the price of the sub is excluding the enclosure (which'll cost another 1-1.5k).
Else, as mentioned by Navin, your options would be limited to JBL/Bull/Pioneer within this budget.
But once you audition iD's CTX I don't think you'd want any of the JBL/Bull/Pioneer entry-level subs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Just as I thought - your initial installation was not tuned properly. Try doing it yourself:
- Set fader to roughly R2 or R3
- Increase the gain of the front channels of the amp ever so slightly
- Fade slightly more to the rear and see if that suits you

Actually, if you are in the front seat, you should not be hearing the rear channels at all, or maybe just a little bit if you lean your head to the rear.

Pio subs - the ones that are regularly available - don't hold a candle to the Infinity ones. Of course it is listed on the website - 2nd row, 2nd column! The better installers like EVO Cambridge Layout (Satya, blueraven316 on the forum), Autofusion near Koramangala Club (Thouqueer, thouqueer on the forum), TMC Electronics on East End Road (Venu, kURETI on the forum) etc. can get you the sub and match it with a good box.

If you want to limit your budget, try the Infinity REF1260. The installers can give you demo of other subs. You don't need to buy anything other than the sub, a box for it and may be some cable to connect it - you already have 2 channels free on a great amp to power it.
@Navin. Thanks for your advise. Yeah. i am using only 2 out of the 4 channels, i have left the other 2 for the sub. And regarding the sub, i guess i need to wait for one more month and increase the budget for getting a better sub. What would you suggest in the 10-15k range. The infinity 120.9 is priced 15k mrp. I guess i can get it for a little lesser. Anything else i need to check out?.

@fine69. Thanks. i just went through your Noober to Noob thread. I will surely check out the ID's CTX 12.4. We both have the same amp

@ DerAlte. Thank you. I will try out the configuration you mentioned tomorrow . I have the Amp fitted under the front passenger seat. Just wanted to save some space instead of putting it in the boot. Its a perfect fit under the seat, So, Have to take the seat out to actually make any changes in the gain and connections. Will goto my local mechanic here tomorrow and tune it.
I think i will go with the 120.9. I don't mind waiting for one more month to increase my budget and get them considering that i have limited options in less than 10k range Anything else in 10 -15 range ?
How is Sachin's Auto shop in Kormangala. I had gone there initially for my install. Kumar there, did not have the Infinity Kappa comps in stock. So i went some where else. Will get it done from him this time. Have heard good reviews on the forum about Kumar and his auto shop.
Regarding the link. Sorry. My bad. I looked at the US website. Here, there is only 100.9 mentioned. link

One last question, In the I20, the stock speakers at the rear and the front are the same?. I have removed the front ones (for infinity comps) and kept the rear untouched, If the front ones are better, i will swap it to the rear. Is there something wrong in doing this?
Old 7th April 2011, 09:46   #10807
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the OE speakers in the i20, but usually the fronts are better than the rears if they are not identical. Have you screwed the amp down below the seat? Better practice below the seat is to mount the amp on a piece of 1/2" MDF covered with appropriate carpet cloth, and slide it in. This way, one can slide it out and make adjustments without having to dismantle the seat.

Though the MRP is 15K, you should expect the street cost to be 9-11K now. Autoshop is good, but not as good as the others I mentioned. The inconsistency comes from whether the workers are supervised well or not.

In the 10-15K range you would also get Boston, JL Audio, RF, Morel etc., but none of them have local service support in the rare case that something goes wrong.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:53   #10808
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Kimified;2305207
The infinity 120.9 is priced 15k mrp.
I will surely check out the ID's CTX 12.4.
Anything else in 10 -15 range ?

One last question, In the I20, the stock speakers at the rear and the front are the same?.[/QUOTE]

The one difference you will notice between the ID and Infinity subs mentioned is that the 120.9 has a huge magnet structure and might require a larger box.

Like DA said Boston, JL and Morel also offer subs in this price range.

Quote:
In the 10-15K range you would also get Boston, JL Audio, RF, Morel etc., but none of them have local service support in the rare case that something goes wrong.
B&T (aka Ajay Kamath) can offer support in Mumbai for JL and Morel (via the respective distributors). Dont know about Bangy though.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:15   #10809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The cheapest HU I know of that has 3 pre outs is the JBL 333. However this HU does NOT have a CD player.

If your install is well done and the wires used are of good quality then a 2V signal is more than adequate most amps are happy with 1V or less. A 4V pre out only ensures that you dont need to turn the gains on your amp too high. When you turn up the gains on your amp up they often also amplify any noise in the wire hence with a 4V pre out you are less likely to amplify noise.
navin, thanks a lot for your prompt response. It was precise & made things clear to me. I would believe that my install is well executed since I (or some people who have 'listened' to my setup) do not find any unwanted noise from the system.

So, I think I can post-pone my plan of buying a new HU. However, for the USB support, I have seen some devices that can be plugged into the 12v power socket & the USB can be plugged into this device. This device transmits data (songs) through radio frequencies. It costs around Rs.200. Is it worthwhile or does it throw reasonable distortion into the audio signal?

Thanks.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:20   #10810
Team-BHP Support

FM (radio frequencies) is not a very hi-fi (High Fidelity) medium. Expect significant dynamic range compression and some signal loss but it works for non critical applications.
Old 7th April 2011, 18:52   #10811
BHPian

Hi Navin,

Long time no suggestion for me .... heheheheee

Hope u r doing good !! have not been very active in this forum though, for a reason which i shall PM u.

Last time u suggested JBL 636 for my Aveo with Blaupunkt Bermuda HU and pretty content with the loudness and bass.

This time though i need your valued inputs on rear speakers for my Punto ... the HU will remian the stock Blaupunkt though.

I want to know ur suggestions on JBL S396 or any other speakers u would suggest with better quality than the 636s and also the possibilities of installation as rear parcel tray is too weak.

Cheers.
Old 8th April 2011, 00:01   #10812
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
I want to know ur suggestions on JBL S396 or any other speakers u would suggest with better quality than the 636s and also the possibilities of installation as rear parcel tray is too weak.
All speakers (well almost all) are built to a price point and with a particular audience in mind. JBL's GTO series is no exception.

You will always find a "better" speaker. Why not listen to a few brands and let us know which speakers you prefer?

The rear parcel tray can be replaced by one made of MDF and this will be stiff enough to support a pair of 6x9s but it will also be heavier to lift.

Last edited by navin : 8th April 2011 at 00:03.
Old 8th April 2011, 00:51   #10813
BHPian

Hey... It's nice to finally post on the Yeti's thread Been asking a couple of JBL ICE related questions for a Fiesta, and Navin has been a great help - It's great to get quick replies from the gurus!

However, I have also been coveting Sam's opinion, (so, if you're listening), I took the liberty of posting a shorter form of my query here as well! Would really appreciate it if I could get a few thoughts from the other gurus as well!

Need advice on front speakers for Fiesta. Will be running them off two channels from a Sony 554 amp (HPF'd at 80Hz) , with the rear two channels running a CS1215. Rear fills - stock; to be run by HU (Pio 6050UB finalized).

1) Is JBL GTO 8628 (5 x 7 coax) easily available? Where can I source them, and at what price?

2) JBL GTO608C and GT5-266C - Can they fit in using spacers without metal cutting? How is the 266... I haven't heard them yet!

3) JBL GTO507C - Will 5.25" give me a good enough output?

My budget is strictly 4k for the fronts, and I am open to looking at other options apart from those above. Please advise...

And the next part:

I like my soundstage up front, but also need some sound at the rear. The HU power seems too low - wondering if I could power both the fronts and rears without getting another amp. How? By wiring them in parallel ofcourse! My amp puts out 75W RMS at 2 ohms - Now, if I use each front channel to power 2 speakers (one front and one rear), I get a total impedance of 2 ohms, which means each speaker gets 37.5W - at the same PD but half the current. Am I right? If I now increase the gains a little, will this setup work? Of course, then I'm talking of identical speakers front and rear, and I lose out on fader.
Old 8th April 2011, 12:33   #10814
Senior - BHPian

I need some help in my R&D over head units in punto and linea.

as we all know emotion pk models are equipped with blue and me and steering mounted controls.

I took out the HU and tried to study the pins and the various inputs on the OEM head unit. in my case the head unit is delhi. it has iso connectors at the back.

Now if i want to change the HU and retain the steering mounted controls and blue and me what are the options?

What i observed is that the blue and me is individual unit and it just provides aux in to the head unit. as soon as the head unit receives aux in it pauses the CD/FM/Media player and switches to aux in and we hear the phone over the speakers.

so do we have aftermarket head units with aux in that can be modified to take in the blue and me connection and it has the auto aux sensing as well.
(i co-relate this with my pioneer head unit which switches to usb automatically as soon as i plug in the pen drive)

secondly can the HU match the steering control inputs from OEM. can the pin modified to give correct inputs to the after market head unit.

it will be helpful if someone knows the after market head units with model nos that can be modified to take the above 2 inputs.
Old 9th April 2011, 01:06   #10815
BHPian

Quote:
The one difference you will notice between the ID and Infinity subs mentioned is that the 120.9 has a huge magnet structure and might require a larger box.

Like DA said Boston, JL and Morel also offer subs in this price range.

B&T (aka Ajay Kamath) can offer support in Mumbai for JL and Morel (via the respective distributors). Dont know about Bangy though.
Quote:
Not sure about the OE speakers in the i20, but usually the fronts are better than the rears if they are not identical. Have you screwed the amp down below the seat? Better practice below the seat is to mount the amp on a piece of 1/2" MDF covered with appropriate carpet cloth, and slide it in. This way, one can slide it out and make adjustments without having to dismantle the seat.

Though the MRP is 15K, you should expect the street cost to be 9-11K now. Autoshop is good, but not as good as the others I mentioned. The inconsistency comes from whether the workers are supervised well or not.

Thanks DerAlte and Navin. Got the infinity kappa 120.9 and the pioneer 4390 (The 2011 version of 4250). Got it done at Auto Fusion, Kormangala. The entire install came upto 42.4. 42 was my budget!

Did not have time to listen to it for a longer period coz it was already late by the time the install was done.(1230 am!). I really loved the Bass effect in the 2 or 3 songs that i listened to. Still not all that happy with the Kappa Components. Thouqeer was very very patient and tuned it to my liking.

He told the placement of the tweeters is not right (I have it currently where the A pillar meets the Dash Board). He said that it'll be better if i move it on the door pad next to the speakers on the door. With damping on the front door, i think it will sound a little better. Ill get it done after some days.

Commendable job i must say. I liked the Pioneer player too. If only they had bluetooth, it would have been perfect.

I checked the 3350BT as well . But it just did not look right for me after seeing the 4390 . Thanks again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks