Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 16:22   #10741
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I have a honda city with the std factory fitted Pinoeer stereo. My better half is hell bent on changing this to a better unit since its not very clear nor does it have ipod/aux compatibility.

In view of this, I am thinking of going in for a 2 DIN music system. Can gurus please suggest which ones are good and should I look at changing the speakers as well? If new speakers are needed, I would need them to be fitted in the existing space itself and not need any work on the interior.

Please suggest what brands I should look at and budget? I am no big music fan, so good quality sound is sufficient.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:47   #10742
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hi I have fitted Pioneer music system in my Santro Xing in October 2003 with sony speaker at the back and front as well as a twitter. After hearing mysic from my honda city IVTEC, little dissapointed with music in Santro. So, want to upgrade the speakers. I have a good Pioneer music system with display and all. Please suggest?
Old 11th March 2011, 17:56   #10743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It is diffcult for a stereo in a SUV like the Safari or Bolero to produce the same effect as that of a car like the Cruze, Corolla or Civic. That said the move effcient use for your money would be to damp the doors (all 5 of them) reduce all buzzes and rattles that cars like the Safari are known for and maybe upgrade the stock speakers.
Navin Sir, which speakers would you suggest that we go in for? I am planning to drive to Guwahati tomorrow and will get it done one of the 2 vehicles there tomorrow itself. I have added another 2500/- to the budget and so can now sustain a damage of Rs. 7500/- for the upgrade. Please advice me what I should get done.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:58   #10744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
So, want to upgrade the speakers. I have a good Pioneer music system with display and all. Please suggest?
Mention of budget and current setup (HU at least) would help others in helping you to narrow down the kind of speakers that are available at that price.
There's a wide variety of speakers available in the market viz. JBL/Bull/Kicker/RF/Morel/Polk/ID etc. What is your expectation from the setup?
Roughly a budget upgrade could look like:
Front Comps - 5-7k
Rear Co-ax - 3-5k
4 ch Amp - 4-6k
Old 11th March 2011, 20:20   #10745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... reduce all buzzes and rattles that cars like the Safari are known for and maybe upgrade the stock speakers.
Errrr... no, they really don't because there is some amount of damping already in there. The only rattles I get after 4 years are loose stuff in the glove box. Cables and wires are well and truly stayed down unlike many other cards. Road noise is does not intrude too much, only engine noise is an irritant. Damping is definitely a good idea, but the first priority should be always those massive FRP door pads.

Beyond damping, changing the OE components in front will get one the most improvement, and fitting them is not a big hassle (beyond the hassle of opening the door pads - there are a dozen or so screws that one has to hunt for). Tweeter mounting locations are meant for off-axis mounting, and the image is quite high.
Old 11th March 2011, 20:41   #10746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Errrr... no, they really don't because there is some amount of damping already in there. The only rattles I get after 4 years are loose stuff in the glove box. Cables and wires are well and truly stayed down unlike many other cards. Road noise is does not intrude too much, only engine noise is an irritant. Damping is definitely a good idea, but the first priority should be always those massive FRP door pads.

Beyond damping, changing the OE components in front will get one the most improvement, and fitting them is not a big hassle (beyond the hassle of opening the door pads - there are a dozen or so screws that one has to hunt for). Tweeter mounting locations are meant for off-axis mounting, and the image is quite high.
Which components are recommended for the Safari. I would not like to cut anything on the door and prefer a OEM finish for the mounting.

About the tweeter locations. What do you mean by off-axis mounting.

I am not too sure about the availability of genuine products in the NE and so have zeroed in on a JBL dealer at Guwahati after speaking with the distributor based in Calcutta. Spoke to them over the phone and they stock everything that is listed on JBL India's website. Will check them out tomorrow. So can you please suggest which co-axials would be recommended for the Safari and also what else should I audition?
Old 11th March 2011, 22:12   #10747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
How do I put damping material through a 4" hole? It is different when the speaker is mounted in the door - panel can be removed. Not so with hole in inner body of car. Sigh! Unless there is way to reach that area after removing fenders over the tyres.
--Ragul
Hmmm you could try stuffing in some glass wool hole and playing the speaker to see if it helped. Not a permanent solution, but could give you an idea.

MaSh
Old 11th March 2011, 23:33   #10748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Errrr... no, they really don't because there is some amount of damping already in there. ..Beyond damping, changing the OE components in front will get one the most improvement, and fitting them is not a big hassle (beyond the hassle of opening the door pads - there are a dozen or so screws that one has to hunt for). Tweeter mounting locations are meant for off-axis mounting, and the image is quite high.
Thanks DA, since you have a Safari you are better aware of the car's shortcomings. Is the Safari as quiet as the average sedan (Civic, Corolla, etc..) of the same size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
In view of this, I am thinking of going in for a 2 DIN music system.
Which Honda City do you have? You will need a dash kit for the ANHC. The NHC's stock system was 2 DIN so in that case you may not need a dash kit.

JVC, Pioneer and Kenwood are the brands you could consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
After hearing mysic from my honda city IVTEC, little dissapointed with music in Santro. So, want to upgrade the speakers. I have a good Pioneer music system with display and all. Please suggest?
You can use a similar HU in the Santro as you have in the Vtec. The Santro has room for only 4" speakers in the dash and rear. This limits the ammount of bass you can expect.
Old 12th March 2011, 08:37   #10749
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks DA, since you have a Safari you are better aware of the car's shortcomings. Is the Safari as quiet as the average sedan (Civic, Corolla, etc..) of the same size?

Which Honda City do you have? You will need a dash kit for the ANHC. The NHC's stock system was 2 DIN so in that case you may not need a dash kit.

JVC, Pioneer and Kenwood are the brands you could consider.

You can use a similar HU in the Santro as you have in the Vtec. The Santro has room for only 4" speakers in the dash and rear. This limits the ammount of bass you can expect.

I have a 2007 Honda City - the previous generation. This has a standard music system (Alpine and not pioneer as I erroneously mentioned earlier)
Old 12th March 2011, 11:16   #10750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I have a 2007 Honda City - the previous generation. This has a standard music system (Alpine and not pioneer as I erroneously mentioned earlier)
Yes the NHC came with a Alpine 560 Cassette-CD player. Just about any 2 DIN HU will fit in there. I am not sure if you will even need a dash kit for the NHC (if you are using a 2DIN).
Old 12th March 2011, 13:09   #10751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Which components are recommended for the Safari. I would not like to cut anything on the door and prefer a OEM finish for the mounting.

About the tweeter locations. What do you mean by off-axis mounting.

I am not too sure about the availability of genuine products in the NE and so have zeroed in on a JBL dealer at Guwahati ...
Infinity components in front (not coaxials, unless you want to increase your budget by changing the rear coaxials also). Alternatives (which are not known to have fakes): Illusion, Bull, Auditor, Morel, etc.

There is no cutting involved but it won't be absolute OE, since 6.5" components will not fit in the OE hole. OE is 6", which one doesn't get readily. What one does is
* Get spacers made out of MDF (1/4" thick mounting base + 1/2" thick round speaker mount glued together) in the same shape as the OE grill - a triangle with rounded corners
* Cover the spacers with felt cloth of appropriate color
* Mount the spacer using nuts/bolts through the OE rectangular slots (where the OE grill spring clamps go through)
* Mount the speaker on the spacer, and cover with the grill that comes with the speaker
* The XOs can be mounted in the foot well using tie straps
* Use the angled mounting holder in the tweeter location (ORVM mount). You may need to use hot-melt glue to hold it in the desired position

I bought an extra pair of OE tweeter mounting flanges so that I re-mount the original stuff when I sell the car.

'Off-axis' signifies a mounting arrangement where the tweeter is not firing directly into the nearest listeners ear, i.e. the tweeter axis is directed at the far listener's ear.

Quote:
... Is the Safari as quiet as the average sedan (Civic, Corolla, etc..) of the same size?...
But for the engine noise, it is almost the same. There is already some amount of damping on the outer skin of the door.

Parked in a quiet area, one can barely hear anyone talk outside (the problem I face when I am doing something in the car in the basement, and the old lady calls out from nearby). One hears the outside such as horns etc., but only when the honk is loud. A bit of damping reduces even the induced engine noise.
Old 14th March 2011, 09:19   #10752
BHPian

Hi
I wanted some feedback about the Steg AQ series amps.
perticularly this 4 channel Steg AQ series Mosfet In-Car Amplifier. High Quality on eBay (end time 18-Mar-11 22:27:00 GMT).
Old 14th March 2011, 12:58   #10753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiorano88 View Post
Hi
I wanted some feedback about the Steg AQ series amps.
perticularly this 4 channel Steg AQ series Mosfet In-Car Amplifier. High Quality on eBay (end time 18-Mar-11 22:27:00 GMT).
member BHAGWAN usues Steg amps almost exclusively. I'd PM him.
Old 15th March 2011, 05:38   #10754
BHPian

Quote:
member BHAGWAN usues Steg amps almost exclusively. I'd PM him.
thanks.Ill contact him for some feedback for sure.
But just to get a fair comparison with other brands available to me like genesis,DLS.
which one would be better suited as a 4 channel considering the fact that i listen to rock and house.
Old 17th March 2011, 09:39   #10755
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the NHC came with a Alpine 560 Cassette-CD player. Just about any 2 DIN HU will fit in there. I am not sure if you will even need a dash kit for the NHC (if you are using a 2DIN).
Thank you. What budget do you think I need to look at? Ideally, I wont want to spend anythign more than 15k all inclusive. As stated earlier, I am not an audio freak and any 'decent' system with ipod capability will do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks