Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 10:25   #10201
BHPian

I have a Illusion Electra 6.1 upfront in my lancer driven by a JBL 75.4

I have a strange problem. the left speaker is dead below a specific level. Once i put it up to about 60 65% level the speaker cracks a bit and starts playing.... now if i reduce the volume it still continues to play.

Then suddenly at a non reproducible situation it stops working.

I haven't got a chance to open up the door pads and check but i presume this is some sort of loose connection, but what fails at my logic is what does the loud volume have to do with ti starting to play again?

Does anyone suspect something wrong with the amp or crossovers???? I hope not.

Earlier the right midbass gave up and itraced it to a dry and loose solder at a resistor in crossover.

I was pretty happy earlier but now almost 2 years into the life of my EL 6.1 i suspect build quality not able to hold up in the long run.

Any pointers.
Old 31st May 2010, 18:39   #10202
Senior - BHPian

^^ It's mostly not due to the speakers at all. I would suspect that one of the switches in your amp needs to be looked at.
Old 1st June 2010, 00:51   #10203
Senior - BHPian

@leadf00t, I've had a somewhat similar issue recently and in all probability was an amp (75.4) issue. Seems to be resolved now. Have a look at this post/thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post1912078

ps: I have 2 pairs of EL 6.1s. One set is closing in on 3 years another around 3.5. No issues with either set.
Old 1st June 2010, 11:47   #10204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
^^ It's mostly not due to the speakers at all. I would suspect that one of the switches in your amp needs to be looked at.
The guru answers it. Ok i will try looking at the switches.

I had another interesting thing occurring today. Once the left speaker would crack and go silent. After while the left would start working and right would go Silent. Pointing correctly to your reasoning.

Will the Amp need to opened up and repaired? or just that the switches need some movement ,since they havent been touched in 2 years now so car causing some stray distortion due to moisture / dirt / oxide formation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
@leadf00t, I've had a somewhat similar issue recently and in all probability was an amp (75.4) issue. Seems to be resolved now. Have a look at this post/thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post1912078

ps: I have 2 pairs of EL 6.1s. One set is closing in on 3 years another around 3.5. No issues with either set.
Saw you post. But how did this get resolved?
Old 1st June 2010, 16:03   #10205
BHPian

Is it advisable to leave for long periods the SD card in its slot in the car audio system? Or should one remove it each time one leaves the car for a couple of hours, particularly in summer?
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:04   #10206
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to share this;loved the built quality
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_0188-medium.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2010, 18:36   #10207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
Saw you post. But how did this get resolved?
Well, using the front outputs of the amp in bridged mode for the sub and using the rear outputs to drive the comps seems to have resolved it. But we were not really able to identify the exact cause. The swap was done based on a process of elimination of other components in the chain - leading us to 'suspect' that the amp front left speaker out connectors might be the culprit.

It's stable now for a week. Touch wood.
Old 3rd June 2010, 19:05   #10208
BHPian

I have a strange problem in my ICE. Sometimes it starts making a humming sound which depends upon the rpm of the engine, if i rev the car the sound gets louder.
I have a temporary solution : I turn off the head unit and turn it back on and it does not happen. But over the last few days it has started to happen very regularly.. any solution to this Gurus?
Old 7th June 2010, 14:25   #10209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Well, using the front outputs of the amp in bridged mode for the sub and using the rear outputs to drive the comps seems to have resolved it. But we were not really able to identify the exact cause. The swap was done based on a process of elimination of other components in the chain - leading us to 'suspect' that the amp front left speaker out connectors might be the culprit.

It's stable now for a week. Touch wood.
I talked with Ajay over the phone a few days ago. Since he suspected that the amp switches might be the culprit, a little freeing of the switches would work.

He suggested me to look at the current setting for both front and rear channels. Then spray a little of WD40 into the switches and move the switches back and forth for a few times and bring them back to their original position.

And it worked.

Thanks to Ajay the speakers are rocking again and the niggle i was facing for quite some time has been fixed.
Old 7th June 2010, 14:46   #10210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
I have a strange problem in my ICE. Sometimes it starts making a humming sound which depends upon the rpm of the engine, if i rev the car the sound gets louder.
I have a temporary solution : I turn off the head unit and turn it back on and it does not happen. But over the last few days it has started to happen very regularly.. any solution to this Gurus?
The problem you are facing is alternator whine.
If your HU is a Pioneer, then the problem you are facing can be resolved by grounding the RCA using common loop ground technique as listed in the link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ml#post1633884

I too faced this problem and resolved the issue perfectly.
Old 11th June 2010, 22:30   #10211
BHPian

I've got a question.

What does it take to make a car audio system as decent as a say, Creative Inspire 4.1 with onboard sound card on a PC ? How much better is an average hi-end car audio system (something planned and installed ideally, costing b/w 50k and 75k) than the reference PC audio ? And why does it take more to produce good music in a car ??

Thanks.
Old 12th June 2010, 16:34   #10212
BHPian

Gurus !! Please advice which one should I go for;

Amp (budget 6-8k)
Auditor RIP 4180
Infinity ref475 (used one)
Kicker dx200.4
Alpine MRF 550 (used one)

Front 6.5" Components (budget 6-8k)
DLS c6a
Hifonics Zeus ZXI
Boston s60
Morel 6

Sub (budget 4-6k)
ID CTX12 (used)
MTX 12 44
Kicker Es124
Ground Zero T30

I taste is to listen to new generation bollywood songs. I am running on HU-pio4050 with JBL GTO 948 in the rear.

Please advice me on these products and how better it can go with my current setup.

Last edited by thelightening : 12th June 2010 at 16:38.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:16   #10213
BHPian

Hi,

Last Sunday I fitted a Sony CDX-7710 HU in my Gypsy. The installation was done by a installer in my home town - Bulandshahr and is not very professionally done. Read more about

I am facing a strange problem, when I turn the music system on, all the settings are gone - I have to turn the system on and search for radio station again. When I complained about this to installer, he told me that there is no memory cable in Gypsy's wiring and this is why it is happening. Incidentally, I have recently replaced, the complete wiring of Gypsy.

Anyways I will be taking it to some other installer in Noida. But if any of you have prior experience with Gypsy ICE, please tell me whether this is true. And if it is, are there any work-arounds?

Nitin
Old 18th June 2010, 12:03   #10214
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have a JVC AVX 810 fitted in my Skoda Octavia (got an exchange for the original Alpines a year ago). I still have the original front set of speakers. Now i feel the need for better bass and intend to go in for an amp and subwoofer. To keep it simple, i had planned to buy an active basstube (tube with built in amp), but am told that the active ones are not avl.

Any hints ? I am not too particular about SQ. I need a rugged simple set with not too many complications. Also want to fit tweeters in the rear door slots. Any ideas ?
Old 27th June 2010, 18:37   #10215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

Last Sunday I fitted a Sony CDX-7710 HU in my Gypsy. The installation was done by a installer in my home town - Bulandshahr and is not very professionall.................................

Nitin
run a hot wire from battery with a 10amp fuse to the headunit and ask him to connect it to the appropriate wire of head unit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks