Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:30   #10111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I found the bass better controlled with an amp.
bottle, I could kiss you making that statement.

It is exactly why I recommend amps.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:39   #10112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
bottle, I could kiss you making that statement. ...
Ugh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
... are components as effective without amplification?
The way you have used the term 'effective', there could be another interpretation: 'Without amplification, would coaxes be as effective as components?'!!!
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:07   #10113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The way you have used the term 'effective', there could be another interpretation: 'Without amplification, would coaxes be as effective as components?'!!!
So whats the verdict like?
Old 26th April 2010, 16:56   #10114

iced up

Hi Gurus..

Am back after a while. A special note of appreciation to Navin - Wow man u do a great job in responding to this thread. awesome man...

Am not sure if you guys remember on what speakers to get for my OHC. finally have iced up my ride.

Have got myself the..
Infinity: Reference 9633i - 6" x 9" speakers for the rear
Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch components for the front.

Both being powered by a pioneer HU and a pioneer 4 channel amp (40W)

I do not like my music bright so am pretty happy with the setup. But my rear speakers simply seam to outpower the fronts.

Have checked the gain settings and both are set to normal, have checked the wiring on the front crossover, seems ok. Am not sure what i am missing here.

Would really like to hear from the gurus to help me understand why are the rear speakers so drastically overpowering the fronts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:14   #10115
BHPian

I shall be getting the Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI shortly. I am told that it has Boleros ICE system with eight speakers and a six-disc cd player The dealer has not been able to tell me anything else and Google search also has not thrown up any details. Can anyone educate me about the Superb's ICE?
Old 27th April 2010, 13:42   #10116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
So whats the verdict like?
Components would still sound better than coaxes even if one doesn't use an external amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysdome View Post
... But my rear speakers simply seam to outpower the fronts. ... help me understand why are the rear speakers so drastically overpowering the fronts. ...
Your system has not been tuned. If the gains are set the same for both, the ovals will sound louder than the components (relatively) because of speaker sensitivity and larger radiating area.

Don't worry, you can tune it yourself. With Fader at 0 and the Volume Control at the setting that you normally hear at in the driver's seat, first set the rear channel gain at the amp till you hear the same level sitting in the rear seat. In this setting, the rear will be just a bit lower when you hear in the front seat. Depending on rear seat listening preference, you can now manipulate Fader and Volume control as you like.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:59   #10117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Your system has not been tuned. If the gains are set the same for both, the ovals will sound louder than the components (relatively) because of speaker sensitivity and larger radiating area.
and because the rear speakers have a huge 10 cu. ft. trunk as their "box (Vb)" while the front speakers have a small, leaky (read as high QL) door as their "box(Vb)".
Old 27th April 2010, 21:03   #10118
BHPian

What's a Budget ICE with Navigation?

I am looking for a budget ICE which is 2 DIN, has iPod connectivity and good quality GPS capabilities and Good sound quality. Can anyone suggest in dash units with Model Numbers. Searching this thread did not yield any favorable results.

I am inclined to go with the Default System that available with the 2009 Ford Endeavour but I am not sure where it can be procured from in Bangalore. Ford showrooms as such have no idea about it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th April 2010, 23:16   #10119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
I shall be getting the Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI shortly.
Without getting into details, the stock ICE in most cars is not really great. Yes the more preium cars do have slightly better stereos than the B and C segement cars but still these stereos are not something special.

The superb is a good car to ICE. It's door panels are reasonably solid but will still need some damping. Are you looking to upgrade the stock ICE system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
I am looking for a budget ICE which is 2 DIN, has iPod connectivity and good quality GPS capabilities and Good sound quality.
Pioneer 4200DVD or Kenwood DX515/516

for full navigation
Pioneers X710, Alpine W900, etc... but they all cost above Rs. 40k.

Last edited by navin : 27th April 2010 at 23:20.
Old 28th April 2010, 08:54   #10120
BHPian

Quote:
Without getting into details, the stock ICE in most cars is not really great. Yes the more preium cars do have slightly better stereos than the B and C segement cars but still these stereos are not something special.

The superb is a good car to ICE. It's door panels are reasonably solid but will still need some damping. Are you looking to upgrade the stock ICE system?
As I don't know much about the Superb's ICE, except that it has a Bolero radio+6-cd changer with eight speakers -- all can be operated through a 6.5 in touchscreen monitor, so I cannot at present say that I wish to change it. Its 4x20.

If I were to change it, what would you suggest. I can spend more than Rs 1 lakh. But will this change effect my Skoda warranty as this may involve cutting, etc, of wires?
Old 28th April 2010, 09:25   #10121
BHPian

Quote:
Pioneer 4200DVD or Kenwood DX515/516

for full navigation
Pioneers X710, Alpine W900, etc... but they all cost above Rs. 40k.
Where can one buy these from in Bangalore? They don't seem to be listed on the Pioneer or Kenwood India websites.

How is Kenwood DDX8032BT coupled with KNA-G431 (Satellite Navigation System)?
Old 28th April 2010, 10:32   #10122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
If I were to change it, what would you suggest. I can spend more than Rs 1 lakh. But will this change effect my Skoda warranty as this may involve cutting, etc, of wires?
No if proper harnesses are used it wont void your warranty. Do you home work. Listen to a few systems. Audio is very subjective. See some of the threads in the Show off section and you will get ideas. Tread slowly. Electronics has poor resale value so you dont want to buy stuff you dont like or cant use.

Generally 10% of your budget should be used for damping, another 10% for wires and install. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link so getting a 50K HU with 20K speakers or vice versa is not recommended except in very special cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Where can one buy these from in Bangalore? They don't seem to be listed on the Pioneer or Kenwood India websites.
No you have to import them. For what I have seen in Mumbai just about anything can be imported. I am seeing more and more exotic audio equipment (home and car) being imported and also some really underground Pro audio brands too. I guess after everyone got their fill of the Bose, Martin Audio, and JBL stuff they now want to expand their horizons or is it a case of audio snobbery? B&T/Sam, you live in Mumbai. What do you guys think?
Old 28th April 2010, 16:23   #10123
Senior - BHPian

How is Infinity Kappa 693.9I compared to the JBL GTO-947? My preference of music is Rock/Metal.

I have read reviews about the 947 to be on the brighter side compared to the previous generation of JBL co-ax. Is this true?
Old 28th April 2010, 17:47   #10124
BHPian

The infinity kappa is definitely less brighter than the GTO. It is very suitable for rock music, should do good with heavy metal too.
Old 28th April 2010, 23:40   #10125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
How is Infinity Kappa 693.9I compared to the JBL GTO-947? My preference of music is Rock/Metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
The infinity kappa is definitely less brighter than the GTO. It is very suitable for rock music, should do good with heavy metal too.
Yes the Kappa is less bright than the 947 but in general JBL is considered the ROCK brand in the Harman line. That said my wife and mom prefered Infinity over JBL for their cars. My wife found the Infinity 6020 too bright when she had them in her Opel Sail (2003-4) so I had to modify them to knock about 0.5db of on their highs. LspCad is a good tool for this purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks