Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 11:02   #10036
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Gurus, what would be the average life span of HU, amplifiers and speakers ? Any specifics to be followed to enhance the longevity of the equipment ?
I had an Alpine 9385 tape HU in my OPEL Astra that I purchased in 1987. It worked fine till I sold the car. I also have an Alpine 9284 and Alpine speakers I installed in a 1974 Triumph Spitfire (also in 1986 or 87) and both work fine till today.

The 9385 did not have a power amp (only pre amp) came with a beautiful synthetic leather carrying case (the whole HU could be pulled out of the car unlike just hte front panel of modern HUs). One evening I left th Hu in it's carryin case on a window sill and it fell 3 floors down. Apart from a little nick in one corner the HU still functioned. On another occasion I had given the OPEL Astra to a local garage for body work. One of the workmen, in his zeal, cleaned the car with thinner and even used thinner on the HU, thereby removing all markings on the front panel. Still the HU worked.

My Alpine 9830 which in 2004 came with my Skoda Octavia still works (the Skoda was upgraded to a 9835 but the 9830 is still alive). A 9833 that I bought in 2003 for my wife Opel Sail still works. So I assume that most HUs will last 7-10 years. Amps should last just as long. Only the speakers might deteriorate over time (exposure to sunlight, heat, humidity, etc..).
Old 11th March 2010, 11:02   #10037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
... average life span of HU, amplifiers and speakers ? Any specifics to be followed to enhance the longevity of the equipment ?
1. Average life span is never computed, it can only be a statistical observation. Unfortunately, *most* people sell their cars withing a time span less than the MTBF of the equipment, so there is never any data coming from there!
2. Many other people 'upgrade' their systems (with the objective of 'better sound') well before they sell their cars. Again, no data there
3. MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) is always much, much higher in systems without moving parts (or for the non-moving parts of a system). For electronics (manufactured by replicable processes), MTBF more than 25 years is not uncommon. Speakers would have much less MTBF, since it is a system of moving parts operating in moderately high stress conditions.

Actually, no speaker manufacturer ever computes that, since over the last few decades manufacturing and material practices have become better resulting in very few failures. In the days when even the surround of a speaker was made of the same paper as the cone, surround failure was directly proportional to instances of peak speaker excursion, i.e. you play really loud, and suddenly the speaker attains the lotus feet after making a short dying declaration - 'phhhrrraaat'. When some manufacturers switched to foam rubber surrounds (easier to manufacture), the MTBF was influenced by chemical degeneration of the foam rubber.

Your second question is even more difficult to answer, really. Conventionally, probability of failure is directly proportional to actual stress on the components v/s design stress. Neither is easy to figure out. To put is simply, the louder you play a system *not* meant to be played loud, the greater the chances of failure. So if you want SPL, buy SPL - don't buy an SQ system and try to play at SPL levels.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:47   #10038
BHPian

@navin - Thanks. I have a pioneer amp (marked made in japan) which is close to 14 years old and still kicking. But as you said speakers break down sooner than HU & amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Your second question is even more difficult to answer, really. Neither is easy to figure out. To put is simply, the louder you play a system *not* meant to be played loud, the greater the chances of failure. So if you want SPL, buy SPL - don't buy an SQ system and try to play at SPL levels.
@DerAlte - Will keep that in mind. Thank you very much.
Old 13th March 2010, 13:08   #10039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
the remote can't stop working so fast - best way is to have the battery replaced and check

If it still does not work,getting a replacement depends on the rapport you have with the seller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If all the buttons are not working then most probably it is the battery.
My problem is resolved. The battery was the culprit.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 13th March 2010, 21:50   #10040
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I have a '04 Fiat Palio.

My music system consists of a Pioneer HU, 2 12" Sony Xplod sub woofers(one is 1200W and the other 1300W), 1 Rockford Fosgate Amp(for the subs), 2 JVC speakers at the rear and 2 at the front and 1 Blaupunkt Amp for the speakers.

Couple of weeks back took my car on a trip with friends to a farmhouse and played music for half an hour or so.

As a result my batteries went weak and i had to jerk start the car.

I would like to know whether the battery issue can be sorted just by charging the battery or did i put in too many audio components that the Battery cant deal with.

Also i would like to know a solution for my problem, if any.

Thanks!
Old 14th March 2010, 10:04   #10041
Senior - BHPian

Guruji (s),

Please advise on this post !
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gurus/6427-car-audio-advice-audio-gurus-use-search-thread-before-posting-new-q-667.html#post1759336

Thank you
Rahul
Old 16th March 2010, 22:30   #10042
BHPian

Car Audio for the Tata Nano

Which Car Radio +/- DVD + USB Drive + Card Reader Audio system would you advise for the Tata Nano?
Old 17th March 2010, 13:00   #10043
BHPian

CHEVY BEAT Speakers upgrade

Hi guyz,

yet again the same question. I am buying a CHEVY BEAT, expecting it next week.

Budget - 10k -15k. will be driven by me.

After lot of thinking i came up with AMP JBL GT5-S422 (expected price 3500). And i plan couple of OVALS at the back, and 2-way component in the front.

Is the AMP a good choice for the budget?? and What Speakers the GURUS suggest.

BTW i have read somewhere, its 4" inch stock speakers both in dash and parcel tray.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:16   #10044
BHPian

need urgent help on deciding a 6.5" component speakers for the front in my fiesta in budget of 6k!!
please do suggest as il be getting them tomorrow.
Old 19th March 2010, 02:34   #10045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

1. you will need an amp that has spekaer level inputs or a speaker level to line level adapter.
2. you seem to be happy with your JBLs in your Baleno why not use the same in the Innova.
3. Having not seen the tweeter pod of the Innova I cant say if the tweeter will fit. The best option is to ask a good installer.
Navin,
thanks for the suggestion. Now I need to find a good installer in Hyderabad for both the Innova and the Baleno.
Unfortunately I think it is not easy per my last experiences. I had to literally check that every part of my car was put back in its place during the Baleno ICE install.

After my wife took over the Baleno, the system has stopped working (unsure if the hanging tweeters plucked off the dashboard by my son has anything to do with it)...need to find someone to check the wiring in that car too !

Last edited by Buffetfan : 19th March 2010 at 02:37.
Old 20th March 2010, 12:35   #10046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithleshsridhar View Post
Hi guyz,

yet again the same question. I am buying a CHEVY BEAT, expecting it next week.

Budget - 10k -15k. will be driven by me.

After lot of thinking i came up with AMP JBL GT5-S422 (expected price 3500). And i plan couple of OVALS at the back, and 2-way component in the front.

Is the AMP a good choice for the budget?? and What Speakers the GURUS suggest.

BTW i have read somewhere, its 4" inch stock speakers both in dash and parcel tray.

ANY HELP GUYZ????? I am just novice with ICE,
Old 20th March 2010, 13:35   #10047
BHPian

THe JBL amp you have mentioned is a 2-channel, you cant run both the ovals and components with the same amp.
Old 20th March 2010, 19:29   #10048
BHPian

Yes, i am planning to run the component only, ovals directly from HU. Unless any of you guyz suggest otherwise. And also any speakers worth suggesting. Also anybody have done business with TECHNOKRATS, CHENNAI for ICE upgrade???
Old 20th March 2010, 20:42   #10049
Senior - BHPian

Connecting an iPod & Amplifier to the Accord's stock HU

Hi, I've searched the forum and found one/two relevant threads but unfortunately they didn't lead anywhere. I have the following basic ICE requirement from my 2004 Accord:

1. Connect the JBL 755.6 Amplifier to the stock HU

2. Connect an iPod to the HU. This has to be wired and not via an FM transmitter.

The rest I can manage once the Guru's tell me how to deal with the two points above. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by manveet : 20th March 2010 at 20:43.
Old 20th March 2010, 21:41   #10050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithleshsridhar View Post
Yes, i am planning to run the component only, ovals directly from HU. Unless any of you guyz suggest otherwise. And also any speakers worth suggesting. Also anybody have done business with TECHNOKRATS, CHENNAI for ICE upgrade???
It's ok to run the ovals from the HU. Technokrat could be expensive, have you already enquired with them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks