Old 18th February 2010, 21:16   #9976
BHPian

Hi
I own a
1. PIONEER DEH 4850MPH Head Unit
2. Circular (small ones) Pioneer speakers in front doors
3. Oval (bigger ones) Pioneer speakers on rear parcel tray

Can anybody list me the Audio settings for the following type of sound-
I listen to many of MJ's hits and classical rock. Hip-hop and good bassy songs too. I need powerful settings for Audio although I know the speakers would be strained but I will keep the volumes under control.
Thanks in anticipation.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:40   #9977
BHPian

speaker placements

Do all speakers need to have enclosure to perform better.
Usually in a compact car two speakers (all sizes) are placed on a mdf planks (refer to 1st part of attachment). This way when the hatch is in closed position, the setup resembles that of speakers placed on a compressed box

Will it be possible to get the same kinda o/p if the mdf plank is designed this way (refer to 2nd part of attachment) i.e. 2 separate peices of planks clamped on to the rear columns (support from one side only) and no plank in the middle. This way there would no box sought of compression.
Attached Files
File Type: doc speaker placements.doc (27.5 KB, 525 views)
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:11   #9978
BHPian

Hi,
I need to fit a fairly simple System In my Vista. The Panel is too weak for speakers and in any case it has to be easily removable so I'll stick to door speakers. Not too much into branded or high quality stuff... just need music plain and simple.So Gentlemen do help me out here....
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:39   #9979
BHPian

hi,
i am Neerav Chavan From SUrat.
I booked swift and looking for a ice up it.
i shortlisted 2 head unit one is from pioneer DEH-P7150UB and second one is from Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693.
my range is 12 k for HU.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:30   #9980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvc_4125 View Post
i shortlisted 2 head unit one is from pioneer DEH-P7150UB and second one is from Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693.
my range is 12 k for HU.
Both are very good HUs have you heard either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
The Panel is too weak for speakers and in any case it has to be easily removable so I'll stick to door speakers..
You can always add a subwoofer and amplifier in your boot later if you want more bass.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:07   #9981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvc_4125 View Post
hi,
i am Neerav Chavan From SUrat.
I booked swift and looking for a ice up it.
my range is 12 k for HU.
Hi:

I dont have any experience with P7150UB but I recently upgraded from JVC AVX44 to X7013U (same as X693) and all I can say is that it sounds awesome. Highly recommend it.

Gurus:

On the X7013U, for the LPF/HPF setting, there is an option to set the slope. The options are -6db, -12db, -18db, -24db. What would be the best slope option for the front/rear/subwoofer?.

I dont like shrill/harsh sound. I would like to hear mellow/soft sound.
Any suggestions?.

Thank you.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:11   #9982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
there is an option to set the slope. The options are -6db, -12db, -18db, -24db. What would be the best slope option for the front/rear/subwoofer?.
Start with 12db and then try 18db. You should find one of these work well.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:24   #9983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
... i.e. 2 separate peices of planks clamped on to the rear columns (support from one side only) ...
Difficult to visualize, @donarun, since there are no clues regarding which rectangle is what and which are the C-pillars and hatch.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:08   #9984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Start with 12db and then try 18db. You should find one of these work well.
Thank you Navin.

So, first I should try front, rear and sub to -12db and try
front, rear and sub to -18 db and retain the one that sounds
better isnt?.

Also what kind of difference can I expect to hear by changing
the slope?. In other words, in what way will changing the slope
make a difference?.

For instance, will a -12 db slope sound more mellow than a -18 db
slope or vice versa?.

The reason I am asking is because, for some of these settings,
it is hard to distinguish the difference by listening to just a song
or two.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:33   #9985
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Navin.

better isnt?.

Also what kind of difference can I expect to hear by changing
the slope?. In other words, in what way will changing the slope
make a difference?.

For instance, will a -12 db slope sound more mellow than a -18 db
slope or vice versa?.

The reason I am asking is because, for some of these settings,
it is hard to distinguish the difference by listening to just a song
or two.
OK. I did some search on the net and understood few things about setting the slope. Anyways what would be the best HPF/Slope setting for the front/rear and LPF/slope setting for the sub so that I do not miss out on any frequency and there is not too much of a overlap that might be result in a boomy response.

I am inclined to set the sub LPF at 80hz and slope at 18db and the front/rear HPF at 100 or 120hz and slope at 12db. Will it meet the above criteria that I wanted?.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Old 24th February 2010, 23:39   #9986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK. I did some search on the net and understood few things about setting the slope. Anyways what would be the best HPF/Slope setting for the front/rear and LPF/slope setting for the sub so that I do not miss out on any frequency and there is not too much of a overlap that might be result in a boomy response.

I am inclined to set the sub LPF at 80hz and slope at 18db and the front/rear HPF at 100 or 120hz and slope at 12db. Will it meet the above criteria that I wanted?.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Depends a lot upon your equipment too. Best way to do it is listen to songs over and over again at different settings and see what suits you best!
Old 25th February 2010, 09:56   #9987
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
better isnt?.
Quote:
1. We cant tell what you want, only you can. So use your ears and the "stuff" between them.

2. Dont be afraid to mix slopes. I'd try 12db @ 63Hz on the front and 18db @ 80hz on the rear and sub for example. It depends on many factors for the front and rear it also depends on how much excursion the woofers can handle. What about overlap between 63 and 80Hz? Dont worry. Road noise masks frequencies between 60 and 80Hz. So you mgiht find that by pushing the front midbass to 80Hz you do not get enough midbass.

Now one more variables creeeps in. Car cabin gain . Car cabins tend to have a lot of gain in the subwoofer area. So you will find that if you turn the subwofoer up too much it will overpower the rest of your system. This might sound fun at first but can get tiring over long sessions.

BTW most probably the XO you have is not L-R but Butterworth. Butterworth filters if XOed at the same frequency (say you crossed the front and sub at 80 Hz) tend to give you a small hump at XO frequency. By Staggering the crossover points you might end up with a flatter response.

In sohrt do not be afraid to experiment. The possibilities are endless.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:57   #9988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. We cant tell what you want, only you can. So use your ears and the "stuff" between them.

In sohrt do not be afraid to experiment. The possibilities are endless.
Very true. I will have to trust my ears. I am not afraid of experimenting but my only concern is not to damage the speakers/sub as I may not be in a position to replace equally good speakers/sub if something happens to them. Whatever I have in my car have been bought over a period of time. I know this would be the case with most of us.

Anyways since you are not giving a word of caution, I assume it should be relatively OK to experiment provided I dont do these experiments at a relatively high volume and for a very long period of time.

Thank you.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:32   #9989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very true. I will have to trust my ears.

Anyways since you are not giving a word of caution, I assume it should be relatively OK to experiment provided I dont do these experiments at a relatively high volume and for a very long period of time.
You got it! Fantastic.

An hour with your system will teach you more than 5 hours of reading TBHP's ICE section or any other audio forum.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:38   #9990
Senior - BHPian

Here is my Stock Music system of my ANHC, Alpine HU with speakers in front and back and Tweeters.

Earlier i was thinking to change all the speakers and also install subs. But i feel front speakers are not Bad and tweeters are also good. Is it a good idea to just go to 2 Channel amplifier with Subs? and let the stock speaker remain as it is? Please let me know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks