Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 20:13   #9886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
i agree that the dash location is good. but we can only fit in a 4" speaker, we cant upsize or can we ...

for the rear fills i have a 3way infinity ref 6*9 and a pioneer sub at the back. i'm using a 4 ch amp to drive them.

couple of weeks back a friend of mine iced up his i10 with pioneer HU and polk db6501. NO amp. I liked the sound of it. i would like to have a similar component speaker setup on my santro. plan is to drive these components with my existing 4 ch amp and give my sub a rest.

hence the Q, can 6.5" components be fitted on santro doors.
Hey, there are 4" Components avialble from Illusion audio and JBL - could try them
Old 15th January 2010, 20:22   #9887
BHPian

hi i have a petra with pioneer hu since 4 years .i recently changed my front speaker to front componenet jbl608c. i would like to change my rear 6*9 sony speakers ,
the brands i am getting are jbl, infiniti and rockford fosgate which should i go for and how is rockford fosgate punch series
Old 15th January 2010, 20:38   #9888
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
I think, you will be much better off buying a genuine MP3 player and then connecting it via the aux in your car's head unit.
Quote:
your plan of playing a PMP / iPod through the Aux-in is good - that's how most people do it. I assume that your HU has Aux-in brought out. The connection from the PMP / iPod is from the headphone socket.
thanks bj96 and deralte for your inputs. i will buy a mp3player/ipod.
Old 15th January 2010, 20:50   #9889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Hey, there are 4" Components avialble from Illusion audio and JBL - could try them
yeah but 4" has its limitations so i thought of going in for 6.5"
Old 16th January 2010, 00:01   #9890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
gurus, Can 6.5" component speakers be fixed on santro doors ? santro does not have factory provided provisions for speaker fitments on doors like i10. How much of modifications would this involve ? thanks
I am no audio guru but would definitely recomemnd 6.5" over 4" - you will need to cut open a portion of your door panel to accommodate the speaker on a MDF spacer(check the ICE forum and you will find pics of Santro installs.This needs to be done carefully

I personally don't like the stock location of 4" in Santro - the stock location in Spark,Wagon-R,Alto,Versa is v.good(near bottom edges of windscreen)
Quote:
yeah but 4" has its limitations so i thought of going in for 6.5"
Old 18th January 2010, 23:27   #9891
Senior - BHPian

JBL GT5-S204 + old Kenwood HU (tape) issue

Gurus, need urgent gyan. Sorry for the longish post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I have a Kenwood KRC-387 (tape HU) and a pair of 4" speakers (front) installed in my eight year old WagonR.
How can I improve the audio on this ancient setup?
Ok, so got a pair of JBL GT5-S204 (4") from Reliance Autozone last Sunday and installed them myself in place of old speakers in the dashboard (I have pictures of DIY, which I will post separately). Felt the instant improvement in the audio and we enjoyed our Sunday family ride. Tape played very well and most FM channels also sounded good, except, a couple of them which gave some hissing noise- probably due to reflected signals as I stay behind hills.

Anyways, while returning from the office today, I suddenly felt that most FM stations were not sounding as good as yesterday. Switched to tape. Same result. Looks like some mid/low is missing and frequency is (unusual) shrill/high pitched. Few songs off tape, still sounds OK though.

Could it be because of reversed polarity in speaker connection?

I just replaced the old speakers with JBLs thinking earlier install (some nondescript speakers) was professionally done and must have the right polarities. Also noticed that earlier installer did a shoddy job as he has cut the OEM harness and there is no way I can identify the right polarities off the HU unless I dismantle and take out the unit from the dash trace the wires.

How can I figure out the right polarity w/o taking off the HU?

I have the bill and warranty, but, don't suspect the new JBLs yet.

Pls help .

tia,
-BJ
Old 19th January 2010, 10:26   #9892
BHPian

Which ampli and Rear Speakers

Hi,

My current setup is

HU : paioneer 4150
front Speaker 6' JBL Component.
rear speakers jbl 6 X 9 GTO 300 watts.

Want to add 4 channel amplifier and also want to replace current rear speakers.

which is the best ampli under 10k and beast rear speakers,i don't want to fit the sub woofer as it eats lots of space from the boot.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:51   #9893
Senior - BHPian

@bj96: There is nothing wrong with the JBLs, nor did something happen all of a sudden. Reversed polarity (specifically when ONE of the speakers is wired out of phase) will lead to - at most - cancellation of bass. The 4"ers you have don't push out enough bass anyhow. Also, if you found the reproduction good during the Sunday family drive, the polarity wouldn't have all of a sudden changed on Monday morning!

The difference between your Sunday drive and Monday afternoon feeling might have been absence of external noise and general euphoric feeling on Sunday. The JBL 4" *is* a bit bright, so you were not wrong in feeling "(unusual) shrill/high pitched".

You could try reducing the Treble setting in your HU (even to -ive) till the feeling of shrillness goes away. Another way is to add a layer of cloth below the grill to diffract / suppress the high frequencies.

@parimal_ji, try a JBL A644 / Blaupunkt GT4 Mark2 / Kenwood 8404. Don't replace the GTO 6x9s yet - listen to them through the amp before trying other 6x9s.

Last edited by DerAlte : 19th January 2010 at 10:59.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:23   #9894
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
which is the best ampli under 10k and beast rear speakers,i don't want to fit the sub woofer as it eats lots of space from the boot.
You already have rear speakers (the JBL 6x9). Thre are a few amplifiers from Kenwood, Pioneer, JBL and Blaupunkt that can suit your purpose.
Old 19th January 2010, 13:49   #9895
BHPian

Jl Sub W7 damaged

Guys,

I have damaged by W7 Jl audio sub 12", please see the pic put here, can anyone advice if this can be fixed, if yes then how and where, also will this affect my performance . I live in Mumbai, will prefer someone in the suburbs or can I fix it myself with a glue, I have seen something similar on the net an reply from Jl audio tech help desk he mentioned about something called GOOP, i guess is available in north america.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: bmp jl audio new.bmp (441.1 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by The Saint : 19th January 2010 at 13:58. Reason: no attachment and some additional info
Old 19th January 2010, 15:29   #9896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Guys,

I have damaged by W7 Jl audio sub 12", please see the pic put here, can anyone advice if this can be fixed, if yes then how and where, also will this affect my performance . I live in Mumbai, will prefer someone in the suburbs or can I fix it myself with a glue, I have seen something similar on the net an reply from Jl audio tech help desk he mentioned about something called GOOP, i guess is available in north america.

Thanks
Best is to use a recone kit.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:44   #9897
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys i am planning to get a basic audio system for my newely bought Ritz Lxi, i have zeroed upon a JVC system with USB option and 4 speakers of 6" size of same brand. The asking price is 8800 inclusive of fitting charges, is it a good deal? What other option i can have with same kind of budget?
Old 19th January 2010, 17:51   #9898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Best is to use a recone kit.
Thanks mate, can you elaborate a little more (my understanding is replace the cone, but i dont think it is available) and whether i can source it in mumbai for JL w7, if yes then appreciate if you can give me some leads.

Last edited by The Saint : 19th January 2010 at 17:53.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:50   #9899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
You already have rear speakers (the JBL 6x9). Thre are a few amplifiers from Kenwood, Pioneer, JBL and Blaupunkt that can suit your purpose.
Hi navin ,

I have GTO 937 ,and want to upgrade the same,any idea about how is the new T696 performs.Want such amplifier so that in near future i can add sub woofer to it.If you can specify the model will be great help.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:54   #9900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@bj96: There is nothing wrong with the JBLs...
The JBL 4" *is* a bit bright, so you were not wrong in feeling "(unusual) shrill/high pitched".
You could try reducing the Treble setting in your HU (even to -ive) till the feeling of shrillness goes away. Another way is to add a layer of cloth below the grill to diffract / suppress the high frequencies.
Thanks so much DerAlte. Your words boosted my sagging morale after this maiden DIY attempt on the audio setup. I adjusted the audio settings on HU and swapped the polarity of the left speaker. I think, it is sounding even better now .

I will try the cloth trick you mentioned. Is it that cloth would be sandwiched between grill (WagonR OEM Dash grill) and the speaker?

-BJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks