Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:12   #9631
Senior - BHPian

An external amp usually produces less distortion than the HU internal amp at all volume levels other than the low. At higher volumes, HU amp will distort terribly, whereas the external amp will play clean. This is *not* about how loud you play your music, i.e. what is the usual volume control setting, nor about what is the wattage of the speakers. Good speakers will sound good at low wattage also.

Speakers don't 'play around' with power - they are passive devices, and convert to sound whatever the amp is pushing. Depending on the volume setting and the song you are playing, an external amplifier has more power available to play soft and loud passages the way they were meant to sound. HU internal amps have limited abilities. For example, at a moderate volume setting, say 1/3rd of the max, if a song has a very loud drum passage and a softer instrument playing at the same time, with an external amp the softer instrument will still sound soft whereas the drum passage will sound louder (like in live music) with an external amp.

One is able to relate to this better if one listens to music live on stage or on the street. This gives one an idea what are the relative loudnesses to be expected of different musical instruments (don't worry, one doesn't have to do it consciously, the brain automatically does it the more you listen). When one listens to music reproduction and relates to the live music, it is easier to judge the difference or lack of realism.

External amplifiers are better able to reproduce this realism than HU amps.
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:34   #9632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
An external amp usually produces less distortion than the HU internal amp at all volume levels other than the low.
external amps also have better damping factors and hence are able to control the woofers better.
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:27   #9633
BHPian

Suggestions for DVD system for Safari LX

Hi Sam,

I'll be taking delivery of my new Safari LX on next Monday. Want to put in a DVD unit with reasonable speakers and Amplifier units, etc. Don't intend to go for a blasting kind of HIFI woofers,etc. The budget for whole set-up is 20K including screen for DVD which I think may cost around 5k. It means minus screen, budget is limited to 15-16K. Plz suggest a good combonation. Basically, I am a Sony sound lover, but not a condition, if any better solution exists, but should be approved by Tata motors? for warranty issues?
Need your advise asap pl.

cheers

LK
Old 22nd August 2009, 16:21   #9634
Senior - BHPian

There are no warranty issues here, as the connections to which the Head Unit and the speakers interface to are provided pretty much standard by Tata Motors. Otherwise it will be like a table lamp's warranty being voided by user putting a light bulb!

* A DVD HU (like Sony or JVC) is likely to cost around 10-12K.
* 2 pairs of good coax speakers (JBL, Blaupunkt, etc.; with bill and warranty) should cost around 5K
* Sony speakers are never as good as the others, so even if you buy a Sony DVD player, don't use Sony speakers.
* One prefers a JVC over Sony DVD player because of the problems that most people have reported with Sony units
* Many people who buy EX upgrade their system before the vehicle leaves the dealer. Check if the dealer has any new OE speakers discarded by anyone like that. If so, you could buy those rather cheaply. The advantage is that you can mount the stock component speakers (separate mid-bass and tweeters; much better than coax) for the front locations. Buying new in the market, components will cost you at least 5K by themselves

If you are friendly with the dealer, you could buy the HU, speakers and LCD screen from the market and ask them to mount it before you take delivery.

Please remember, the guy who sells audio accessories at the dealer is not a Tata Motors person and may not even be a dealer's person. Drive a good bargain if you want to buy from them. Go around the market and get prices first.
Old 23rd August 2009, 02:56   #9635
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering how to kill the noise that's present when nothing is played. There's some sound coming from the speakers even if the cd is paused. This noise is present in both my car stereos and home theater too.
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:51   #9636
Senior - BHPian

What kind of sound are you getting? Hiss / white noise, like from TV or FM when no channel is tuned?

Shielding of signal cables (RCA) could be an issue, wherever you are using an amp. Check if you hear the same noise if you pause a CD in a system without an external amp, i.e. HU only.
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:51   #9637
BHPian

dear friends,
can anyone guide me in selecting a good car audio system for my UVA, i have a maruti with kenwood tuner tape player with two rear and two front speakers and it has been doing fine. But someone recently spoke about an amplifier. Is an AMP really required in addition to the head unit.
and i want to integrate my phone with the stereo, i hear Blaupunkt has some decent units to fit this need. Can someone guide me with estimated price and dealers in south and west delhi.
Old 25th August 2009, 02:44   #9638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What kind of sound are you getting? Hiss / white noise, like from TV or FM when no channel is tuned?

Shielding of signal cables (RCA) could be an issue, wherever you are using an amp. Check if you hear the same noise if you pause a CD in a system without an external amp, i.e. HU only.
Yes, its that exact noise. How came all the music systems I own have that noise? (just wondering)

I have checked and the noise is present even when the cd is paused. even without the external amp.( my car's rear speakers are amp independant)
Old 25th August 2009, 09:47   #9639
Senior - BHPian

Noise is always present. Just that in a well-wired system it is not audible.
1. Grounding & shielding problem - try with a different set of RCA cables and redo your grounding (even in your HT)
2. Volume may be set pretty high. At what level does it become inaudible to you?
3. Your own hearing may have a remarkably higher sensitivity than others
Old 25th August 2009, 12:16   #9640
BHPian

Guys, Need a little help from you.

I need to get the setup done for my swift

Before the details, I need to inform you that my wife knows play back singing. What I meant was she's been through the musical classes and hence can make out all the nitty gritties of music and sound. So for her sake atleast, I need a good setup.

I shall add amp and sub later.

Budget: As of now figured out to be INR 14000

Requirements: HU with Bluetooth facility to pick up calls from my handset. I receive calls on the go and hence this basic requirement.

Speakers : As of now, planning for Bull Audio. Front at stock locations, Rear 6 * 9 on MDF Panel
Damping : Needs to be done
Wiring harness.
I leave the floor to you to guide me in the right direction for these requirements

I am a mechie and hence have no idea about electronics/electiricy which I cannot see :-}

Note: Possibility exists for increasing the budget if my wifey requirements can be met.

Love to hear from you
Old 25th August 2009, 19:16   #9641
Senior - BHPian

14000 for HU and speakers.
You can't have a HU with bluetooth , Components , Rear 6x9 for this budget.

the Bull audio components are 7k for the 6.5" and rear 6x9 would set you back by another 3-4k minimum.

Audition some setups.
Try the JBL 608c, Illusion Electras, Bull Audio and maybe some more basic speaker from GZ and other brands and decide for yourself

Try increasing the budget by about 5-6k to get a good HU with bluetooth capabilities.
Old 26th August 2009, 09:41   #9642
BHPian

@ Abhinav, If I increase the budget to say 20 000 INR, Will it meet my requirements ?

Thanks a ton
Old 26th August 2009, 10:23   #9643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Before the details, I need to inform you that my wife knows play back singing. What I meant was she's been through the musical classes and hence can make out all the nitty gritties of music and sound. So for her sake atleast, I need a good setup.

I shall add amp and sub later.
If you want a good setup, you might want to add in an amp and a sub right away.

Quote:
Speakers : As of now, planning for Bull Audio. Front at stock locations, Rear 6 * 9 on MDF Panel
Have you auditioned the speakers? Any other brands? Don't buy speakers before hearing them and liking them.

Quote:
If I increase the budget to say 20 000 INR, Will it meet my requirements ?
I think you might still want to increase it a little more- let's see

1. Good HU with bluetooth and 3 RCA pre-outs ~10,000
2. Front Components (6-7k) and rear Coax (3k) ~9,000-10,000
3. Good 4-channel amp- starts from 5,000-6,000
4. Entry-level sub- starts from 3,000
5. Wiring, damping ~5,000

You can subtract the rear coax if need be. However, if the budget is primary consideration (more important than sound quality), go for pair of coax in front and rear, power them off a good HU and you'll be fine with a ~15,000 budget.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:12   #9644
Senior - BHPian

@lambuhere1, avoid amp and sub for the time being. Your wife will quite likely get irritated with a sub. Within limits no ICE system will be irritating to her if she is music-trained (quite likely classical and semi-classical). She will concentrate on the lyrics, the tune and the general feeling of the song rather than frequency spectrum coverage. She will definitely be irritated by bright or distorted sound, but wouldn't care if the tabla banya (how does one transliterate the nasal 'a'?) goes down to 42Hz or not.

Just go with a decent HU that satisfies your needs, and a good pair of components in front. The 6x9 at the rear is going to keep you from getting irritated by the lack of bass!
Old 26th August 2009, 12:08   #9645
BHPian

DerAlte, Yes my wifey is into classical. I might drop amp and sub as of now. Budget is a bit tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Have you auditioned the speakers? Any other brands? Don't buy speakers before hearing them and liking them.

I think you might still want to increase it a little more- let's see

1. Good HU with bluetooth and 3 RCA pre-outs ~10,000
2. Front Components (6-7k) and rear Coax (3k) ~9,000-10,000
3. Good 4-channel amp- starts from 5,000-6,000
4. Entry-level sub- starts from 3,000
5. Wiring, damping ~5,000

You can subtract the rear coax if need be. However, if the budget is primary consideration (more important than sound quality), go for pair of coax in front and rear, power them off a good HU and you'll be fine with a ~15,000 budget.
I need to damp my swift. No choice as it rattles like hell after music set up. Till date, my vehicle is touch wood. No rattles.

Amp and Sub : I am planning to do it later after we get into the nitty gritties of what we are missing with the current setup.

Slow and steady, I believe I will enjoy.

Thanks a ton for all your replies.

Now the research starts for HU with BT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks