Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 10:15   #9331
BHPian

Guys, I need information on one of my friends request.

He wants to run computer speakers [ 2 rectangle boxes of yesteryears ] running on 240V, using the output from the cigaratte lighter point .

First of all, is it possible ?

Next, if yes, Do we need a adpater ? and if yes, where can we source the same in Bangalore.

Appreciate your kind attention and help
Old 13th April 2009, 10:26   #9332
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...will-work.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ofers-car.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...sting-ice.html
Old 13th April 2009, 10:40   #9333
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the pointers Buddy.
Old 14th April 2009, 00:16   #9334
Senior - BHPian

Where can one buy Genesis amps in Dubai? I might have to go with Audison or DLS if I can't find it there.

Rates here are too much for me. Amps themselves will destroy my entire budget.
Old 14th April 2009, 00:25   #9335
Senior - BHPian

genesis in dubai noway and even dls,audison yes contact gulf wireless television company
Old 14th April 2009, 00:31   #9336
Senior - BHPian

How about Rainbow then? Available in Dubai?
Old 14th April 2009, 00:37   #9337
Senior - BHPian

no even rainbow is not available in dubai,you will not get any good brands in dubai,sheikh have money but taste.

which genesis amp are you planning to buy.
Old 14th April 2009, 00:42   #9338
Senior - BHPian

A Series III 4ch at the very least.
Old 14th April 2009, 00:50   #9339
Senior - BHPian

it will cost you around 60k in india that to with b&w.
if you buy it from say from england it will cost you 6/700 pounds so current rate for pound
74 x 600 =44000/- what is the benefit buying it from overseas
Old 14th April 2009, 14:38   #9340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
They are presently crossed over at 63 Hz. The Frequency Response says 43Hz to 25K Hz (because it includes the tweeter frequency as well). What's the point in declaring Frequency Reponse starting at 43 Hz when Resonant Frequency is at 86 Hz. I am not aware of what Resonant Frequency means. Please elaborate.

This brings me to another question. Can they be used as a midrange drivers in a 3 way setup? Any pros and cons?
@navin: please throw some light on this.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:56   #9341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This parameter is the free-air resonant frequency of a speaker. Simply stated, it is the point at which the weight of the moving parts of the speaker becomes balanced with the force of the speaker suspension when in motion. If you've ever seen a piece of string start humming uncontrollably in the wind, you have seen the effect of reaching a resonant frequency. It is important to know this information so that you can prevent your enclosure from 'ringing'. With a loudspeaker, the mass of the moving parts, and the stiffness of the suspension (surround and spider) are the key elements that affect the resonant frequency. As a general rule of thumb, a lower Fs indicates a woofer that would be better for low-frequency reproduction than a woofer with a higher Fs. This is not always the case though, because other parameters affect the ultimate performance as well.
Eminence - The Art and Science of Sound

the speaker will continue to produce sound below its free air resonance frequency as well, just that it will become lower depending on the Q ratio. and the free air resonance is exactly that , FREE air resonance. once installed , other things come into play, which will push the resonance frequency, usually lower.

Either way, dont give those mid basses so much LF content. cross them over higher ( 80~100 Hz) , and let the subs handle the lows

Quote:
Can they be used as a midrange drivers in a 3 way setup? Any pros and cons?
probably, if you plan on using 8 inchers as the woofers or so. but if you gave a sub, you are already running a 3 way setup
Old 14th April 2009, 15:23   #9342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What's the point in declaring Frequency Reponse starting at 43 Hz when Resonant Frequency is at 86 Hz.
If they cannot be pushed beyond 100 Hz, I would only hesitantly call them mid bass drivers. This brings me to another question. Can they be used as a midrange drivers in a 3 way setup? Any pros and cons?
43Hz might be -10db down. No way they gonna like making 43Hz. As midbass drivers they are ok if limited to about 3K. WHy becasue Bl is only about 7TM and Mms is over 10gms. So use them between 100Hz and 3kHz.

Last edited by navin : 14th April 2009 at 15:38.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:43   #9343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
probably, if you plan on using 8 inchers as the woofers or so. but if you gave a sub, you are already running a 3 way setup
. But I meant 3 way front stage plus the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the speaker will continue to produce sound below its free air resonance frequency as well, just that it will become lower depending on the Q ratio. and the free air resonance is exactly that , FREE air resonance.

Either way, dont give those mid basses so much LF content. cross them over higher ( 80~100 Hz) , and let the subs handle the lows
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
43Hz might be -10db down. No way they gonna like making 43Hz. As midbass drivers they are ok if limited to about 3K. WHy becasue Bl is only about 7TM and Mms is over 10gms. So use them between 100Hz and 3kHz.
Thanks so much. But I am still not sure if I get this completely. I now understand what is Free air resonance but I don't understand the effect of crossing them lower than the Resonant Frequency.

So if I am crossing them below the Fs, they...
  1. will produce the music but at lower decibels and will not be audible?
  2. will it harm the driver?
  3. will it cause distortions in the legitimate frequency range for the driver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
As midbass drivers they are ok if limited to about 3K. WHy becasue Bl is only about 7TM and Mms is over 10gms. So use them between 100Hz and 3kHz.
Now I know, why the Crossover Frequency between Mid Bass and Tweeter is at 2600 Hz for this component set.

Last edited by akbaree : 15th April 2009 at 12:45.
Old 15th April 2009, 13:04   #9344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So if I am crossing them below the Fs, they...
  1. will produce the music but at lower decibels and will not be audible?
  2. will it harm the driver?
  3. will it cause distortions in the legitimate frequency range for the driver?
Yes it will produce music that may or may not be audible depending on cabin gain/loss. It wont harm the driver. Remember you are not loading the driver by putting it in a TL, bass reflex or band pass box. However reducing the low freq. load on the driver will make it sound better in the midbass.
Old 15th April 2009, 13:08   #9345
Senior - BHPian

ideally you dont want them working at resonance, since they will be quite loose and boomy and not controlled in that band, thats why we recommend crossing them HIGHER than the resonant frequency so that those frequencies dont get to the speaker

Quote:
will produce the music but at lower decibels and will not be audible?
no, but at FS and thereabouts , it will be louder, much more so than elsewhere in the rest of the frequency band, and this may affect the linearity

Quote:
will it harm the driver?
not much
Quote:
will it cause distortions in the legitimate frequency range for the driver?
yes. the linearity of the frequency response might be compromised

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks