Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
Hi guys,

i have a Santro XO 2007 model...

My current setup is as follows..

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-379MP0MP
Front: TS-G412
Rear : TS-G622

The speakers are loaded on the default enclosures

Recently i have been getting a hissing sound from the rear right speakers(whenever there some bassy music)..

for the upgrade...i will be spending roughly about 10k...i will not be going for a sub.

my main intention is to change the speakers....

visited a dealer and they adviced me
polk db401 Rs 4941 co-axial for the front
polk db691 Rs 2520 co-axial for the rear
mdf tray Rs 800

i have tried searching for polk speakers and could not get much info..

plz advice what should be the best setup for me...

ps: i would give speakers producing more bass a higher preference....
Dear Friends

Are you keen on going in for polk audio ? i suggest they are expensive and not up to the mark and also you are looking at Coaxials when you can buy components which will help get a better sound i would suggest the following which is just about your budjet

JBL : GTO 608 MRP at GTO608 Component front MRP : 6,900/-
JBL : GTO 638 MRP at GTO938 3 way back MRP : 4,990/-

audible dynamics : Calypso Series C 600C component Front MRP : 5,200/-
audible dynamics : Calypso Series C 690C component Back MRP : 6,500/-

JBL is brand company and its most commonly used and about audible dynamics i have see some installations by Anwar (Auto Fusion) they sound great and for Santo use the 6x9 component at the back you will not need a subwoofer when fixed on a normal tray also the audible dynamics products come with a 3 Year replacement Guarantee they are value for money products take my word for it
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-c-600c.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-c-690c.jpg  

Old 29th January 2009, 13:14   #9212
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
even i was shocked to see a tvm dealer offer some polk ovals for <5k when i was helping a friend ice his santro
Guys

Dont be shocked if you find Polk Audio products with Grey Market dealers and now its not only sold in official channels there is a lot of Changes happening with Polk Audio as they have discontinued their relationship with MOMO Designs in Italy and thats why you find the new MM Series (Mobile Media) not MOMO Series any more there are also rumors that the all India distributor will also be changed very soon will keep you posted as there are any developments
Old 29th January 2009, 14:50   #9213
BHPian

@SAINTji we here recommend a person to use their own preference in car audio. polk as audio system manufacturer has been around for long now. they make speakers that are bright yes but in no way lower in quality and audible dynamics is a tough competitor too. but i guess it would only be fair to let the buyer select right. colouring a persons mindset about a product is not something i would expect on this forum. AS Pioneer to has been available in grey for donkeys years now. i don't like sony does not mean there's something wrong in it. they know how to make stuff really low cost which is also needed in the market. please no offence meant.
Old 29th January 2009, 14:58   #9214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Reddy View Post
Dont be shocked if you find Polk Audio products with Grey Market dealers and now its not only sold in official channels there is a lot of Changes happening with Polk Audio as they have discontinued their relationship with MOMO Designs in Italy and thats why you find the new MM Series (Mobile Media) not MOMO Series any more there are also rumors that the all India distributor will also be changed very soon will keep you posted as there are any developments
Saint Reddy,

Your posts show that you are well aware of the Audio Market. If by chance you happen to be a professional in this field TBHP requires you to post any/all your commercial involvement (as an engineer, designer, dealer, distributor, installer, etc..) in the thread linked below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...larations.html

From what I know Polk and Momo worked together only from 1999 to 2007.

Last edited by navin : 29th January 2009 at 15:07.
Old 29th January 2009, 17:19   #9215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The right compo has stopped working. When I tried to test the setting by putting the fader to Front and right, the only thing I could hear was some music and noise out of the right tweeter. Nothing from the speaker.

What could be wrong ? Suggestion guys !!!

Got it installed from driven so JB/Gunbir, here I come but not before the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
open it up and check the connections. try connecting the woofer elsewhere. I'm not sure if you can get a replacement from the original distributors, since they are no longer associated with it
Eddie, you will get a free replacement as long as it is within 12 months of purchase. Contact DRIVEN and get a new crossover / midbass / both at the earliest.

Cheers!
Old 29th January 2009, 17:24   #9216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Eddie, you will get a free replacement as long as it is within 12 months of purchase. Contact DRIVEN and get a new crossover / midbass / both at the earliest.

Cheers!
Thanks and Cheers Gunbir. Will do so right away.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:00   #9217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@SAINTji we here recommend a person to use their own preference in car audio. polk as audio system manufacturer has been around for long now. they make speakers that are bright yes but in no way lower in quality and audible dynamics is a tough competitor too. but i guess it would only be fair to let the buyer select right. colouring a persons mindset about a product is not something i would expect on this forum. AS Pioneer to has been available in grey for donkeys years now. i don't like sony does not mean there's something wrong in it. they know how to make stuff really low cost which is also needed in the market. please no offence meant.
Valhallen sorry please dont be offended with my comments i am not here to promote any brand i also like Polk Audio for many years now, i am only feeling sad about the brand which is not been in good hands to show its true colors and worthiness

But putting it in grey the company might make good sales but what happens to all the Warranty Claims made by the company the end users are the one who suffer i feel

also i have suggested the readers that now a days Components are the trend and also they have become cost effective so i feel that why spend money on Co axials of big brands instead you can get Quality sound for the money you spend and i feel this i have not offended any reader by this
Old 30th January 2009, 14:25   #9218
BHPian

Please no offence taken and welcome to TeamBHP. the point here is to provide every possible option without colouring a persons mind. that way he/she can choose the product that is to their taste. it is this unbiased response system that will make an even playing field so every brand can stand out and show its own. once again glad to have you onboard to share your experience.
Valhallen.
Old 31st January 2009, 19:08   #9219
BHPian

Quote:
thnx for the advice guys...

the prices i gave above are infact vice versa..
polk db401 Rs 2520 4" co-axial for the front
polk db691 Rs 4941 6 x 9 "co-axial for the rear
mdf tray Rs 800

Actually the dealer had given me a demo for polk and jbl...and yea i felt the polk sounded better...the demo he gave me was with all 4 speakers together..
also he told me the polk has a 4 ohm impedence which is better thn jbl's 2 ohm impedence...does this make any difference??

and finally...is it true that thr is not much difference between a 4" compo and a 4" co-axial?

this is the speakers i have shortlisted...
Front 4"
Illusion EL 4.1 component
Polk db401 co-axial

Rear (6 x 9" on mdf tray)
JBL GTO938
Polk db691

now plz help me mix n match for the best output

@Saint Reddy: Any 6 x 9 co-axials would definitely overpower the front 4 inch speakers in a santro....thats the reason i am still sticking to co-axials for the rear [also a budget constraint ]....

Anyways guys.. i am highly confused with wich brand to go with...so i have decided to take audition of all my shortlisted speakers and let my ears take the decision....
btw can anybody enlighten me on the GTO947 LTD ... seems like a upgrade to GTO 938.... can anyoe tell the difference and also price of this 1?

my budget of 10k has gone into only the speakers....now after doing a lil more research... am thinking
Front: RMS : 45 watts max 135watts
Rear RMS: 100watts max 300watts

if these are powered by the HU...which gives out only 22 wattsx 4 (continous)...wouldnt the speakers be highly underpowered??

i have verified specification of the latest pio HU and see that they too give out same power of 22 x 4(continous)... then is there any difference between my old HU and the latest ones in terms of sound quality??
Old 31st January 2009, 19:33   #9220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... if these are powered by the HU...which gives out only 22 wattsx 4 (continous)...wouldnt the speakers be highly underpowered?? ...
@katpasin, since you intend to power the speakers from the HU, any pair of speakers which can handle 22W rms at least is fine, as long as they are sensitive enough to convert the power delivered by the HU to loud sound.

Instead of looking at the power figures of the HU and the amp, it would be better if you actually audition the speakers with music you know, listen critically to all aspects of the sound it produces, and then check what you like or dislike about the speakers.

Actually, it hardly matters if they are underpowered. The HU output will itself go into saturation before the max. continuous power is reached. At that point the output will be so distorted / harsh, you will be forced to reduce the volume (unless if you love distortion, that is).

Handling power of speakers is an issue when the amplifier is capable of delivering power much in excess of what the speaker can handle. This results in the coil of the speaker going up in smoke. But even here, much before you see the smoke you can hear the distortion.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:56   #9221
BHPian

DerAlte....got ur point...so that means i need to get a amplifier too....

plz suggest a suitable amplifier(2 channel/4 channel) and how to go about connecting them....looking at the best vaue for money config here...without compromising on quality..

for reference..
front will most likely be illusion EL 4.1 (45watts rms)
Rear will be finalised after a demo..but it will be a co-axial with about 100watts rms and 300watts max

My current HU is a Pioneer 3790/3750
some features:
High Power Mosfet 50W x 4 Max
RCA preout: rear
BMX (BiMetric Equalizer)
Digital Compression Selection
1-Bit D/A Converter, 8fs Digital Filter
CD Text Display with Scroll Function
Supertuner IIID with Digital Processing
Automatic Seek
24-station 6 preset buttons
BSM Stations Memory
Selectable Level Local / DX
9kHz / 10kHz AM switching
Old 31st January 2009, 23:48   #9222
Senior - BHPian

No, you don't necessarily need an amplifier. First try out new speakers without an amp.

1. HU output can be loud by itself, but you need to figure out how loud is loud for you. If you intend to use your ICE as a PA system, you definitely need an amp
2. An amp on the other hand is not just meant to make your music really loud. The main reason for putting an amp is to afford a lot of headroom - the ability to play soft and loud music passages without distortion
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:17   #9223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post

Cheers!
Update: Got it done yesterday. Driven was kind enough to offer me a replacement, though it turned out to be a loose connection which was corrected.

Working properly now

Thanks Gunbir and JB !
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:55   #9224
BHPian

guys please advice me for HU my budget is around 10k(can add 2/3k ) and current set up is

HU SONY CDX GT 250 S
Rear SPK GTO 937
Front SPk JBL may be 5''/4'' (Dont know exactly)

Please advice me for the setup,should i change the rear spks with new 400 watt JBL ?
Old 4th February 2009, 06:56   #9225
Senior - BHPian

why are you upgrading your HU?
i'd also suggest you leave the rear speakers as they are and get some comps up front

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks