Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 18:21   #9121
Senior - BHPian

Its a SVC sub with choice of 2ohm/4ohm/8ohm impedance. JL 12W1v2 costed me around 7k (not sure +/- 1K) so the 12W3v3 should be around 13-14k (assumption).
Old 5th January 2009, 18:42   #9122
BHPian

Thank you ethanhunt. I am looking for a DVC sub so that I can extract maximum out of my monoblock.
Old 5th January 2009, 18:56   #9123
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for a DVC i would suggest the Ground Zero 12XD-AL,you wont ever regret over this subwoofer purchase ever
ramie2400 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th January 2009, 11:07   #9124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
If you are looking for a DVC i would suggest the Ground Zero 12XD-AL,you wont ever regret over this subwoofer purchase ever
How much will it cost?
Old 6th January 2009, 14:01   #9125

ICE for SPark

Hey guys!!
got a LITE ICE setup for my SPARK LT, though i'm a total audio novice!!

System Config:

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH 4050 UB
Speakers Front: Vibe slick 40
Speakers Rear: Infinity Reference 9633i
Sub/w: Pioneer WX301 Bass Reflex
Amp For front: Sony 222 (original Japanese)
Amp for rear & Sub: Infinity A475
Power & ground Wiring: Monster Cable 8 guage
RCA : Scosche e2
Power distribution block: Scosche e2
Fuse 64 amp * 2: Scosche e2

Price
Approx 40000/-

Upgrades planned:

Front speakers: Infinity 4022i
Headunit: SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

Reccomendations
infinity amp is a definite reccommendation!!!!
super power for the current setup with compact size, fits perfectly under front seat!!!!

As mentioned above could any one suggest me a good HU with a nice display & motorized face????
Old 8th January 2009, 12:37   #9126
BHPian

Guys,

This might be a stupid question so please pardon my ignorance.

I have this JBL 3501 monoblock which outputs 225 watts RMS at 4 ohms and 360 W RMS at 2 ohms. I have this connected to JBL GT5-12 whose power handling is 275 watts RMS at 4ohms.

The monoblock has 2 sets of terminals +,- and one set was used to connect to the GT5-12. So I assume it was outputting 225 watts to the GT5-12.

Yesterday, I was in this shop trying few DVC subs and they connected another pair of wires to the +,- terminals of the monoblock. So I assume the monoblock sees both the sets being used and is outputting 360 watts.

After listening to some DVC subs and not happy with the performance I asked the guys to connect my GT5-12 sub and they used one set of wires to connect to GT5-12 and the other set of wires were covered with a tape but still connected to the monoblock.

So my question here is, is my GT5-12 getting 360 watts of power now from the monoblock?.

The reason is I suddenly feel that the sub is kicking more hard and is sounding better probably because of the extra watts it is getting? I may be stupid and wrong and it may be an illusion after all or the other DVC subs that I were listening to were far worse than the GT5-12 that has made me feel that the GT5-12 is sounding better now than before.

Anyways, let me know if the sub is really getting 360 watts of power now and if it is the case, let me know if it will damage my sub or amp in anyway as it is kind of fooling the amp and/or the sub.

Thank you for your help as always.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:38   #9127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
... Yesterday, I was in this shop trying few DVC subs and they connected another pair of wires to the +,- terminals of the monoblock. So I assume the monoblock sees both the sets being used and is outputting 360 watts. ...
The reason is I suddenly feel that the sub is kicking more hard and is sounding better ...
No, your sub is still getting 225W, and not 360W. You will get 360W from the 3501 ONLY if you connect 2 4-ohm voice coils in parallel to get 2-ohms effectively, or a single 2-ohm VC. The other pair of wires is a dummy. (Strange. One normally shorts the 2 voice coils of a DVC sub at the sub itself. Why did they connect another pair of wires to the amp?)

Quite likely the disappointment with the DVC subs is making you feel that your GT5-12 is better, and that is making you feel it is kicking harder. Or, the last time around the connection at the connector was not as good as it is after reconnecting.

Which DVC subs did you audition?
Old 8th January 2009, 13:55   #9128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, your sub is still getting 225W, and not 360W. You will get 360W from the 3501 ONLY if you connect 2 4-ohm voice coils in parallel to get 2-ohms effectively, or a single 2-ohm VC. The other pair of wires is a dummy. (Strange. One normally shorts the 2 voice coils of a DVC sub at the sub itself. Why did they connect another pair of wires to the amp?)

Quite likely the disappointment with the DVC subs is making you feel that your GT5-12 is better, and that is making you feel it is kicking harder. Or, the last time around the connection at the connector was not as good as it is after reconnecting.

Which DVC subs did you audition?
Thank you for your reply. I auditioned couple of kicker DVC subs dont know their model number though. Think they are entry levels though.

I am not sure what you mean by shorting the 2 VC of the sub at the sub itself. I think when one set of wires are connected to the +- terminals of the amp, it puts out only 225 watts and the second set of terminals need to be connected to get the 360 watts out of it. This is purely my understanding and I might be wrong. We had to connect both the sets to the monoblock so that we can connect the kicker DVC sub in-parallel and the monoblock can put 360 watts. Since we are planning to try few more DVC subs today we did not disconnect them.

Also if I read your reply correctly, is it possible to get 360 watts from the amp even if I connect to a SVC sub?. If so do I simply connect both the sets of wires (+ with + and - with - from the amp just before connecting to the SVC 2 ohm sub). In which case I can look for a good 2 ohm SVC sub itself. I am/was under the impression that a DVC sub needs to be connected in-parallel (using both the terminals on the amp) for the amp to put out 360 watts or the 2 sets of terminals are there on the amp so that 2 SVC subs can be connected.

Please correct me where ever I am wrong.

Also let me know if the current set of dummy wires connected to the amp will cause any damage to the amp or sub. Thank you.

Last edited by drvhplyevraftr : 8th January 2009 at 13:56.
Old 8th January 2009, 22:27   #9129

Guys .. Could some one direct to me a place where in I can get professional Car audio installation training. I am based in bangalore. I am ready to travel to Kerala, where I have heard there are quite impressive installers.
Old 8th January 2009, 23:54   #9130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, I was in this shop trying few DVC subs and they connected another pair of wires to the +,- terminals of the monoblock. So I assume the monoblock sees both the sets being used and is outputting 360 watts.

After listening to some DVC subs and not happy with the performance I asked the guys to connect my GT5-12 sub and they used one set of wires to connect to GT5-12 and the other set of wires were covered with a tape but still connected to the monoblock.

So my question here is, is my GT5-12 getting 360 watts of power now from the monoblock?.

The reason is I suddenly feel that the sub is kicking more hard and is sounding better probably because of the extra watts it is getting? I may be stupid and wrong and it may be an illusion
Its either an illusion, or the installer has changed some setting on the amp while giving you the demo of the DVCs.

Like most monos, the 3501 also has two pairs of speaker terminals. These are internally shorted. They are just provided for convenience, so that if there are two voice coils to be connected to the amp, 2 wires dont have to be shoved into the same terminal.

After the demo, rather than removing the additional wired from the amp's terminals, the installer has just removed it from the subwoofer end and insulated them.
Old 9th January 2009, 03:38   #9131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Guys .. Could some one direct to me a place where in I can get professional Car audio installation training. I am based in bangalore. I am ready to travel to Kerala, where I have heard there are quite impressive installers.

Stay where you are don't even think about coming down here, PM some of the installers in Bangalore they will be of more help
Old 9th January 2009, 11:18   #9132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please correct me where ever I am wrong.
The amp puts out 225W at 4 ohms and 360 W at 2 ohms.

a DVC sub with 2 4 ohm coils in parallel have an effective impedance of 2 ohms. These coils can be put in parallel at either the speaker end (by connecting one pair of terminals to the other) or amp end (since the amp has 2 sets of terminals).

a SVC sub with 1 2ohm coil will demand as much power (in the form of current) from the amp as a DVC sub with 2 4ohm coils in parallel. However a SVC sub with 1 4 ohm coil will ask for only half the current as a sub with a 2 ohm coil. This is independant of the fact of how many sets of terminals are used at the amp end.

Hope this clears things.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:59   #9133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am not sure what you mean by shorting the 2 VC of the sub at the sub itself. ...
DVC subs have 2 pairs of terminals on the sub body, each pair connected to one voice coil. Conventionally, for simpler wiring, one connects + of one pair to the + of the other pair, - of one pair to the - of the other pair, and then the + wire from the amp to one of the +s, and the - of the wire from amp to one of the -s. This avoids running 2 pairs of wires from the amp.
Quote:
I think when one set of wires are connected to the +- terminals of the amp, it puts out only 225 watts and the second set of terminals need to be connected to get the 360 watts out of it. ...
No. As B&T explained, the second set of terminals is in parallel to the first. In case you have 2 subs, you don't have to shove to wires into one terminal.
Quote:
... If so do I simply connect both the sets of wires (+ with + and - with - from the amp just before connecting to the SVC 2 ohm sub). ...
Yes.
Quote:
... In which case I can look for a good 2 ohm SVC sub itself. ...
Yes. Or you can buy another 4 ohms sub and connect it in parallel (you will need another box, or a bigger box for the 2 subs). You will need more boot space, but you will have twice the radiating area - ask the expert @low_bass_makker!
Quote:
... I am/was under the impression that a DVC sub needs to be connected in-parallel (using both the terminals on the amp) for the amp to put out 360 watts ...
Correct - you can either short at sub and take a pair of wires, or take 2 pairs of wires to the amp.
Quote:
... or the 2 sets of terminals are there on the amp so that 2 SVC subs can be connected. ...
Correct
Quote:
Also let me know if the current set of dummy wires connected to the amp will cause any damage to the amp or sub.
No, not if the ends are well insulated.
Old 9th January 2009, 18:52   #9134
BHPian

Thank you Navin and DerAlte for taking your time to explain it to me. I now understand how it works.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:41   #9135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Its either an illusion...
I thought the GT5-12 was a JBL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks