Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 17:52   #8686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Basically, the BOSS brand is a sure sign that a product is a cheap rip-off and worthless. Not only when it comes to ICE but in everything else.

hmm aditya here surely doesnt have a BOSS at work
Old 8th September 2008, 23:34   #8687
BHPian

can anyone provide me with cutout dimensions of any brand 6*9 speaker
i need to make oval rings for a friend whose not bought his speaker yet.
im assuming the cutout dimensions wont vary so much in standard 6*9;s
even the dimensions of the 4 loading holes of speaker will do
Old 9th September 2008, 02:21   #8688
BHPian

Hello All,
Can anynone please let me know if we can play .dts files/cds on the pioneer 5050 headunit ?
Old 9th September 2008, 11:20   #8689
BHPian

What should be the ideal setting for a HPF for front Component speakers. I have read it many times that it should be 80 Hz but for some hindi songs, I feel that the Sub (which has a LPF at 80 Hz) is playing too many frequencies. Is it okay to HPF the mid bass woofer at 63 Hz and subsequently LPF the Sub at 63 Hz?

My question is more from a tactical front. I agree that all of us tune as per what suits our listening habbits.
Old 9th September 2008, 11:41   #8690
Senior - BHPian

depends on the size, frequency response, and mounting of the midbass
Old 9th September 2008, 12:34   #8691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
depends on the size, frequency response, and mounting of the midbass
Size (Mid Bas Woofer): 6.5
Frequency Response: 40 Hz - 25000 Hz
Mounting: On the Door (with a spacer ring)

They play well even if I set the HPF at 55 Hz. As I said my question is more theoretical. What is generally considered to be Low Mid frequency range?
Old 10th September 2008, 02:06   #8692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Is it okay to HPF the mid bass woofer at 63 Hz and subsequently LPF the Sub at 63 Hz?

My question is more from a tactical front. I agree that all of us tune as per what suits our listening habbits.
I have tuned my pio 4050 as above (63/63) and I liked this setting than anything else (80, etc). Anyway, as you rightly said I did it coz it suited me well after many auditions with various settings.
Old 10th September 2008, 08:36   #8693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
I have tuned my pio 4050 as above (63/63) and I liked this setting than anything else (80, etc). Anyway, as you rightly said I did it coz it suited me well after many auditions with various settings.
In cases where the front speaker is 6" or larger or high SPLs are not required 63Hz works fine.

In fact if your HU has memories for the XO you can set one setting at 50Hz for when you play the system soft and the other at 63Hz for when you play the system loud. Another option is to play around with the slopes. I find 2nd and 3rd order slopes work best. 1st order gives too little attenuation and 4th order sounds phasey.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:54   #8694
BHPian

Hello,

I needed some expert advice from the Gurus here for ICE-ing my new Palio (not yet bought). I have posted my queries in detail in the Palio ICE Thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...thread-12.html) but havent received a satisfactory solution yet. My queries can be found in the last two or three pages on that thread.

I could copy-paste all that there if you want but I did not want to repost information as it is considered against rules in most forums.

Thanks,
-Ganesh
Old 10th September 2008, 12:39   #8695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
In cases where the front speaker is 6" or larger or high SPLs are not required 63Hz works fine.

In fact if your HU has memories for the XO you can set one setting at 50Hz for when you play the system soft and the other at 63Hz for when you play the system loud. Another option is to play around with the slopes. I find 2nd and 3rd order slopes work best. 1st order gives too little attenuation and 4th order sounds phasey.
Thanks redfire and navin.

I have some more doubts. When we cross the front components at as low as 50 Hz, should we have overlap with the Sub? I mean the Sub should still be crossed at 63 Hz. I am thinking that if we cross Sub at 50 Hz, it is playing very few frequencies and with most of the hindi song recordings, it may just not be playing any frequencies. Using lower order slopes may help. I am completely novice, please share your thoughts on this.

Secondly, will the power requirements (read gain settings at the amplifier) vary, when we cross the front components at say 100 Hz and 50 Hz?
Old 10th September 2008, 12:44   #8696
Senior - BHPian

Which 6 inch driver you are going to use here.

As the normal midbass driver are not capable of producing 50 hz effectively.

For frequency below 70-80 hz mark a sub will do it much clearly and effortlessly.

Also if a 6 inch driver is used in the 50 hz range the upper midrange sound will also get affected.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:48   #8697
Senior - BHPian

I'd cross over the sub/mid bass at ~ 120 Hz. Why stress the mid basses when the sub can handle it better, rather than thinking about distributing the freqency range, think about distributing power
Old 10th September 2008, 12:52   #8698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd cross over the sub/mid bass at ~ 120 Hz. Why stress the mid basses when the sub can handle it better, rather than thinking about distributing the freqency range, think about distributing power
I do it when I have to play it loud . But for normal listening I prefer 80 hz at both the ends.
Old 10th September 2008, 13:41   #8699
BHPian

Quote:
I think crossing the front components at 120 Hz isn't a good idea. But it's just me. If I have to cross the front components at 120 Hz, I will have additional mid bass drivers or smaller subs with some complex cross over requirements. 80 Hz to 120 Hz is generally an important frequency range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Which 6 inch driver you are going to use here.

As the normal midbass driver are not capable of producing 50 hz effectively.

For frequency below 70-80 hz mark a sub will do it much clearly and effortlessly.

Also if a 6 inch driver is used in the 50 hz range the upper midrange sound will also get affected.
I am using a crossover of (80/80) with 24 db/octave slope and the music is just good for 80% of the times. But I am not getting required beat seperation from my Sub (crossed at 80 Hz) for some of the songs. When I cross the Sub at 63 Hz the beat seperation improves. Which points to that I am asking my sub to play too many frequencies and it is unable to do so.

When I lower the crossover point for Sub, I need to lower the crossover point for the front components as well, otherwise there would be a gap.

Let me give an example of the song that doesn't play too well with 80/80 crossover - title song of the movie Cash. It play jinxed. If I change the crossover slopes, it play marginally better.

-Could it be bad recording?
-Could it be a problem with the Sub (RF P2 Punch - 300 RMS)
-May be I am expected to change the crossover point for some songs. I can do it and save different XO settings in my HU but I wonder how people who use XO from amps can do such a thing?
Old 10th September 2008, 13:55   #8700
Senior - BHPian

I have floorstanders at home, and I still cross over to the sub at ~120. 80~120 might be important, but the higher mids even more so for me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks