Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2008, 19:17   #8581
Senior - BHPian

My subwoofer is Image Dynamics 12" 2 ohm which is wired in paralled resulting in 1 ohm. The sub is driven by Eclipse XA1000 450wRMS at 2 ohm. What I have read is that damping factor is recommended to be above 1. In my case,damping factor is 1/2=0.5.

Any issues with respect to performance and reliability?
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:02   #8582
Senior - BHPian

@Patiencewins, would you like your answers here on in the other thread (Siena thread) that you have posted the same question in?
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:21   #8583
Senior - BHPian

DerAlte, The answers can be here. I should have posted the question here as this is the right thread for queries and the chance of reply is more. Thanks

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:51   #8584
Senior - BHPian

OK, relax! There is nothing wrong in your setup - it is just fine. You are misunderstanding the Damping Factor bit - it is an inherent property of the amp. Check the amp details - it is sure to be a 3-digit figure, not 0.5 (check the amp manual, should be mentioned in there). No, it does not affect the reliability. It does have an effect on response / performance, but that is a selection criteria.
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:34   #8585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedude View Post

I had recently begun looking for an audio setup for a SwiftD(thats looking more like a mirage now, thanks to all the delays) , and found that the Pioneer 6988 three way coaxials have been discontinued and are no longer available. I was instead suggested to look at the GTO 937 and also the power series P963 both from JBL.

Id just like to ask the gurus to suggest a a set of speakers that sound similar to my setup I had earlier in terms of clarity.Im hoping there is somebody in here who has used the Pioneer 6988 three way coaxials so they know what im talking about.
Hello nicedude!

Pioneer definitely has 3 way oval speakers in the market, the number may have changed, the sonic signature has not. I am sure this will be as easy to find in your area as the JBL GTO937.

The P963 is a much more expensive and high end speaker and I would not recommend it unless you have an amplifier.
If you like the sound of the GTO937 you should get that, it is a very popular speaker.
However be advised that the GTO937 has been discontinued and replaced by the GTO947 and GTO938. Nothing wrong with buying a GTO937, but if you do buy you should get a rocking deal.

OR if you like the sound of Pioneer you should simply ask for the latest 3 way Pioneer oval. Since you like that sound you won't go wrong with that decision either.
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:59   #8586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hello nicedude!

Pioneer definitely has 3 way oval speakers in the market, the number may have changed, the sonic signature has not. I am sure this will be as easy to find in your area as the JBL GTO937.

The P963 is a much more expensive and high end speaker and I would not recommend it unless you have an amplifier.
If you like the sound of the GTO937 you should get that, it is a very popular speaker.
However be advised that the GTO937 has been discontinued and replaced by the GTO947 and GTO938. Nothing wrong with buying a GTO937, but if you do buy you should get a rocking deal.

OR if you like the sound of Pioneer you should simply ask for the latest 3 way Pioneer oval. Since you like that sound you won't go wrong with that decision either.

Thankyou Sam,

Yes i think I'll get an amp too. Nothing fancy ,but something to drive the speakers adequately. But there is a huge price differential between the P963s and the Gtos. Im no audiophile so i guess the Gtos should work just fine.

Another point id like clarification on is , if getting components are a better idea than having a separate 4" or 6" inch coaxial for the front speakers and then adding a separate tweeters that can be screwed on to the sunvisor mounting screws like I had in my previous setups.

I had pioneer 4" or 5" speakers mounted in the dash for the Esteem and the Sierra and the bigger Pioneer tweeters mounted on a clamp screwed on to the sunvisor screws. Do'nt remember the speaker and tweeter deignated model numbers though. But it was the same in all the earlier installs.

Hope you guys can clarify that for me.

Thanks again guys. Take care.

nicedude.(Now I'm wondering how i thought up this nick)
Old 24th August 2008, 00:49   #8587
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou Sam,

Yes i think I'll get an amp too. Nothing fancy ,but something to drive the speakers adequately. But there is a huge price differential between the P963s and the Gtos. Im no audiophile so i guess the Gtos should work just fine.

Another point id like clarification on is , if getting components are a better idea than having a separate 4" or 6" inch coaxial for the front speakers and then adding a separate tweeters that can be screwed on to the sunvisor mounting screws like I had in my previous setups.

I had pioneer 4" or 5" speakers mounted in the dash for the Esteem and the Sierra and the bigger Pioneer tweeters mounted on a clamp screwed on to the sunvisor screws. Do'nt remember the speaker and tweeter deignated model numbers though. But it was the same in all the earlier installs.

Hope you guys can clarify that for me.

Thanks again guys. Take care.

nicedude.(Now I'm wondering how i thought up this nick)

yes nice dude
componenets are a way better option than getting a pair of co axials and then adding tweeters seperately!
if you are geeting the GTO937 oval speakers for the back then JBL componets GTo 607c would be a good idea to get for the front
Old 24th August 2008, 08:59   #8588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
yes nice dude
componenets are a way better option than getting a pair of co axials and then adding tweeters seperately!
if you are geeting the GTO937 oval speakers for the back then JBL componets GTo 607c would be a good idea to get for the front
Thankyou Magma,

Maybe components are better , but arent the tweeters thats come with the components a little too small to be mounted securely , like installtion using a metal clamp or something. Another major reason would be anything that protrudes from the door or A pillar my kids are defintely going to rip out.

Thats why the bigger Pioneer tweeters looked like a better idea, because mounted next to the sunvisor they are basically out of reach.But I guess the inference is that a set of components sound a lot better than getting coaxials and a separate tweeter set. Am i right?

nicedude.
Old 24th August 2008, 17:19   #8589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
6988 used to be quite different from everything else in the range. Used a paper cone woofer and better sounding mid and tweeter. It used to cost about 6-7k even a decade ago. Cannot be compared to the entry level fare from Pioneer today. If he liked those, he should love the JBL Power Series baida speaker.

Quote:
Quote:
Thats why the bigger Pioneer tweeters looked like a better idea, because mounted next to the sunvisor they are basically out of reach.But I guess the inference is that a set of components sound a lot better than getting coaxials and a separate tweeter set. Am i right?
Sounds like you had the infamous Pioneer TS20 adorning your sunvisor. Either that or the flat Pioneer sunvisor supertweeter. In any case, you'll be better off with just a good coaxial speaker in front, rather than in combination with a TS 20 or the likes. Plus, sunvisor is not really a good place to put any speaker or tweeter.

Component speakers would be the best bet - sound wise. Tweeters come with a variety of mounting options, most are very secure. Although nothing can ever be too hard to uproot for a very determined child.
Old 24th August 2008, 19:41   #8590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
6988 used to be quite different from everything else in the range. Used a paper cone woofer and better sounding mid and tweeter. It used to cost about 6-7k even a decade ago. Cannot be compared to the entry level fare from Pioneer today. If he liked those, he should love the JBL Power Series baida speaker.

Sounds like you had the infamous Pioneer TS20 adorning your sunvisor. Either that or the flat Pioneer sunvisor supertweeter. In any case, you'll be better off with just a good coaxial speaker in front, rather than in combination with a TS 20 or the likes. Plus, sunvisor is not really a good place to put any speaker or tweeter.

Component speakers would be the best bet - sound wise. Tweeters come with a variety of mounting options, most are very secure. Although nothing can ever be too hard to uproot for a very determined child.

Thankyou Bass & Trouble,

Yes, the 6988 cost around 6k then and I loved the way they sounded. My brother did get the yellow couloured speakers that were supposed to be the replacements for the 6988s from Pioneer but they didnt sound half as good even with an amp that he had.

So, do you think the power series speaker is the one to go for over the GTOs? I think ill also get those components for the front and hope that my kids dont pull the tweeter off its mounting , lol, along with a decent HU from Pioneer and an amp to drive the speakers.

Id like to know what the best option for the front components would be(from JBL again if possible) ,and the most cost effective amp option for the same setup, if possible.

Thank you guys.

nicedude
Old 24th August 2008, 21:19   #8591
Senior - BHPian

From what I can gather, the JBL Power Series 6" comps + 6x9 should do the trick for you. But I could be wrong. Do try and audition those sets and others before buying. All the best!
Old 24th August 2008, 21:56   #8592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
From what I can gather, the JBL Power Series 6" comps + 6x9 should do the trick for you. But I could be wrong. Do try and audition those sets and others before buying. All the best!
Thanks Bass & Trouble,

Just curious as to what would be the ideal amp to drive those speakers from a standard Pioneer HU(I do'nt know the number of the head unit, most probably a Pioneer one in the 5-6k price range). And no im not planning on installing a sub woofer.

thanks again,

nicedude
Old 24th August 2008, 22:17   #8593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another major reason would be anything that protrudes from the door or A pillar my kids are defintely going to rip out.
most tweeters can be installed flush in your A pillar. If you kids are younger than 12 they should not be in the front seat of your car while the car is in motion.

Quote:
Just curious as to what would be the ideal amp
There are plently of 4 ch. amps that run about 6-7K that will drive your front and rear speakers well. If that is too much there is a cheaper amp from Sony that can also do (although I found it a bit grainy).
Old 24th August 2008, 22:49   #8594

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
most tweeters can be installed flush in your A pillar. If you kids are younger than 12 they should not be in the front seat of your car while the car is in motion.

There are plently of 4 ch. amps that run about 6-7K that will drive your front and rear speakers well. If that is too much there is a cheaper amp from Sony that can also do (although I found it a bit grainy).

Thankyou Navin,

what would be the ideal amp in the 6-7k price range for the speakers . the power series by JBL that is. If there was a designated model number for the amp and speakers it would help as i could just make a request for just those specific model numbers.

Thanks again,

Nicedude
Old 25th August 2008, 03:27   #8595
Senior - BHPian

Hi gurus,
The ICE in the car is very very basic. The car currently has a sony hu (dont flame me for that, bought it before i joined t-bhp) that was doing its job in the m800 and hence been shifted to the current car(ikon). All the speakers in the car are OEM speakers. The good thing about the hu is that it has got a frontal USB. There is a 14" bass tube in the boot from a company by the name of boschmann. how good is this one? personally am not too fond of the way it feels.
planning to upgarde in stages and not all in one go.
thought that i will go in for compos for the front in the begining.
also figured, i might go in for a 4 channel amp to power the compos, as the other two channel can be later used to power the sub(if the gurus suggest that i change it) else it can be used to power the rear speakers.
the boschmann bass tube has got the amplifier mounted on to the tube, so there are currently no amps at all in the car.
have a budget of 7k next month for the upgrade. can the compos be driven by the HU for a month before the amp can be purchased. or should i go in for the amp next week, and wait for the compos? can i get a compo + amp for this budget?
major question -
what compos? which amp?
i would like clarity in the music and i would like my bass to be felt rather than kicked in the rear.
PS : i have been reading the posts and all the talk about impedance and subs matching it etc .. etc.. is scaring me.
regards,
govigov

Last edited by govigov : 25th August 2008 at 03:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks