Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 01:32   #8506
BANNED

I absolutely agree with Deralte.
Try sealing the port before you even think of a chop job. As a starter, you can even try to block the port with some socks, condom or something filled and stiff.
(oh god! What am I saying here?)
Old 7th August 2008, 01:42   #8507
Senior - BHPian

Instead of doing this "Jugaad" on the bass tube I would suggest you try & find out the specs of the driver in it, have a sealed box custom made to the specs & transfer the driver from the tube to the box.

That's what I did & the results were excellent.
Old 7th August 2008, 01:59   #8508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Instead of doing this "Jugaad" on the bass tube I would suggest you try & find out the specs of the driver in it, have a sealed box custom made to the specs & transfer the driver from the tube to the box.

Arre you got the daba from FBD na ?
Old 7th August 2008, 11:10   #8509
Senior - BHPian

Oye LBM, what is so good about the dabbas / dhabas in FBD?
Old 7th August 2008, 11:22   #8510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
hi all
has anyone taken a JBL bass tube , cut off 6-7 inches off the back and then sealed it with an MDF cylindrical piece of wood so as to construct a sealed enclosure with the correct volume as required?
if not, can i have your thoughts on the same.is it possible ,viable and do you guys think it would work?
me thinking of doing it in my old car
You won't be able to cut it. A bass tube is not made of wood. It is made of cardboard. Rolled, doped and processed cardboard.

Think of a tennis ball, shuttle cock, or art/poster tube on steroids. (Not our Steeroid)

You will not be able to cut it and attach a piece of MDF inside.

Secondly, it is a bad idea. The shape and construction of the bass tube is best designed to work the way it is. This is why the same woofer is available in a sealed box which is made out of wood (fibreboard) that is thicker and (much) heavier.
Your experiment will fail badly. Do not do it.
Old 7th August 2008, 13:55   #8511
BHPian

thanks deralte.i raghava and speedzak ji's
Sam thanks for the warning, i wont be cutting it after reading the cardboard composistion part ( specially if you compared it to a tennis ball- that material is almost un workable)
man the 10inch sub(driver only) is difficult to find! arrrggh
Old 7th August 2008, 14:17   #8512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks deralte.i raghava and speedzak ji's
Sam thanks for the warning, i wont be cutting it after reading the cardboard composistion part ( specially if you compared it to a tennis ball- that material is almost un workable)
man the 10inch sub(driver only) is difficult to find! arrrggh
I think this option would work best, in case you are hell bent on dissecting the bass tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

Else, I think 10 inch woofer would be available in JBL/Blaupunkt? Nahi?

@Sam - Now that the new GTO series has been launched, is the GTO1264 available? And could you also educate on the availability of other 12 inch woofers from JBL? I think CS1204 has been completely discontinued right?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 7th August 2008 at 14:23.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:14   #8513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cardboard composistion part ( specially if you compared it to a tennis ball- that material is almost un workable)
??? Tennis balls compared to cardboard? What did you make out of Sam's post? He is talking about the packaging in which tennis balls, shuttle cocks etc. are sold, not the balls/ cocks itself. He also probably means that if you try to cut it, you might end up fraying the material or disfiguring it beyond repair.

Although he advises against it, but since I know you have some sort of factory, you can cut the tube if you have some extremely sharp cutter that will rely more on shearing to cleanly cut the tube, by applying minimum force on the tube radially. I hope you understood what I mean, cos I didn't. After this, the issue is just to be able to seal away the open part properly.
Old 8th August 2008, 22:48   #8514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
??? Tennis balls compared to cardboard? What did you make out of Sam's post? He is talking about the packaging in which tennis balls, shuttle cocks etc. are sold, not the balls/ cocks itself. He also probably means that if you try to cut it, you might end up fraying the material or disfiguring it beyond repair.

Although he advises against it, but since I know you have some sort of factory, you can cut the tube if you have some extremely sharp cutter that will rely more on shearing to cleanly cut the tube, by applying minimum force on the tube radially. I hope you understood what I mean, cos I didn't. After this, the issue is just to be able to seal away the open part properly.

yep i understood sam meant to say that the tube is made of compressed paper board ( i imagine something like multi layered paper mache made with fevicol) -
as you rightly have understood i do not see forsee any problems during cutting. my machinery is capable of a clean cut( no frays or bends) however sadly i do not have the imagination or machinery to make a good seal (FG is the only thing i can think of - but if i go that route i might as well FG the entire box!)

i dont know why i have this "keeda" of making a sub enclosure a different way ( though it may turn out to be more difficult to fabricate and more expensive)
i actaully have access to a lot of aluminium sections as well.
last week i sat down and thought about the feasibility of constructing an all aluminium bass tube ( sealed )
a 10 inch Al section pipe ( 3.5 thick - believe me its enough- really strong no dents, flex etc) + two Al rings OD 10inch Id 9.5 inch thickness 0.5 inch brazed onto each end.+an MDF cylinder od 10, id 9 ,thiickness 0.75 allen screwed to the back Al ring with speakon terminals.
the front ring will have tapped holes to accomodate woofer and grill

well is the above possible to make easily - yes
will it sound right - i dunno

but most importantly - will i get a JBL/Blaupunkt 10 inch woofer? - NO
(nobody has one in the whole market!)
Old 9th August 2008, 04:06   #8515
BHPian

@Nishantgandhi - if I may answer: I just bought a gto1264, it's been around for a while. If I recall an earlier post the cs1204 is the same as the 12" from the Gt5 series.
Old 9th August 2008, 05:20   #8516
BANNED

10inch? Don't have one?

Quote:

(nobody has one in the whole market!)
You are very much mistaken sir!
There are 10" subwoofers available.
Myself, I own an Infinity Kappa perfect 10, an amazing sub which does wonders in music.
You can also contact Gunbir and gift yourself an IDQ10. One of the best subs in the world I'd say.
Alpine has 10" subwoofers in their Type S and R series readily available.
Old 9th August 2008, 09:12   #8517
BHPian

Polk has 10" sub woofers in their Db, MOMO,Mobile Monitor and SR Series with Single or Dual Voice coils Prices Start from 4.5K to 20K
Old 9th August 2008, 12:59   #8518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
@Nishantgandhi - if I may answer: I just bought a gto1264, it's been around for a while. If I recall an earlier post the cs1204 is the same as the 12" from the Gt5 series.
Sir could you please educate about the prices of GTO1264 and GT512 and availability of CS 1204?
How would you evaluate the sound signature of the 1264?
Old 9th August 2008, 13:23   #8519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
If I recall an earlier post the cs1204 is the same as the 12" from the Gt5 series.
No the CS1204 is the same as the GT4 woofer. The GT5 is a different platfrom.
Old 9th August 2008, 14:06   #8520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
You are very much mistaken sir!
There are 10" subwoofers available.
Myself, I own an Infinity Kappa perfect 10, an amazing sub which does wonders in music.
You can also contact Gunbir and gift yourself an IDQ10. One of the best subs in the world I'd say.
Alpine has 10" subwoofers in their Type S and R series readily available.

sir
of course 10 inch subs are available!
i can get my fav 10 incher from ajay -the illusion
but please note: i have mentioned JBL/Blaupunkt brands only ( basically meaning my tight budget and experimentation keedas would allow only entry level subs in these brands -that too in grey)
unless ofcourse your 10 inch infy is on sale hehe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks