Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:03   #8491
Senior - BHPian

@ketchup, if these are INTERNAL dimensions, it is a shade less than 1cft. If these are the EXTERNAL dimensions, it will be 0.72 cft if you use 0.75" MDF.

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd August 2008 at 11:04.
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:05   #8492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
Trapezium side of 13.5" x 4.5" x 14" x 8.25", and 20" long = 1cuft
1. put woofer on the wall that is 13.5" tall. The sloping wall will then mate with the rear of the back seat.

2. increase depth to 9"/5" to allow woofer to breathe and get 1 cu.ft.
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:25   #8493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. put woofer on the wall that is 13.5" tall. The sloping wall will then mate with the rear of the back seat.
Thanks for the valuable inputs. I was considering putting the sub on the sloping wall, I thought it may deliver better if it was facing the cabin. But I see your point, put it on the non-sloping side that way the box can be attached to the back seat, otherwise would have needed to leave some gap between the box and the seat, which would defeat the purpose of a slim box!!

Navin - your one-liners are very valuable, a page of information really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hi Guys !!!

Will it be ok to install these in the front door pannels in the OHC? I dont want to spend toomuch and hence i am intending to do so. Any other cheap and better solution available?
Yes, you can put your stock alpine in the front, as long as they fit.

Read this article by Navin first.

If want to improve your system in the future and are willing to spend a bit more (5k - 7k) for Sound Quaity, you should put in components in the front (check deals in classifieds). But if you want a louder system buy an amplifier instead of the components for the same money.

Cheers, Giri
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:42   #8494
Senior - BHPian

Thanx, Will it fit in the door pannel? I can spend a little more later, but for now i dont want to spend. I plan to put in a woofer and amp, may be components also.

Quote:
Yes, you can put your stock alpine in the front, as long as they fit.

Read this article by Navin first.

If want to improve your system in the future and are willing to spend a bit more (5k - 7k) for Sound Quaity, you should put in components in the front (check deals in classifieds). But if you want a louder system buy an amplifier instead of the components for the same money.

Cheers, Giri

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 2nd August 2008 at 12:52.
Old 2nd August 2008, 18:37   #8495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin - your one-liners are very valuable, a page of information really.
and my page long posts really have only one line of useful information!
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:44   #8496
BHPian

@KSM-vtec to the best of my knowledge an OHC accepts upto a 6.5" round speaker in the front without modification. You haven't mentioned what speakers you have with you. Check the speaker dia with a ruler & the speaker grill in the front.
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:48   #8497
BHPian

@deralte & Magma, I missed out clarifying reg sub: yes these are the internal dimensions, my calculations tell me it will come to .996cuft. I had to look up the trapezium formula on google, I'm so ignorant.

Sorry for the 2nd post, somehow the edit post button just doesn't seem to be working.
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:13   #8498
BHPian

hi guys,

i am a newbie here and is planning to ICE my wagonR in staged manner, as i am short on funds.
My immediate requirement is to get a HU and front comps.
and later on would prefer to go with rears, amp,subs.
intially my budget would be around12k for HU and front comps.

Currently i am using wagonr for commuting to office, but once i am satisfied with my driving skills, would like to start with travelling to nearby places around bangalore.
most of the time i listen to old hindi songs, bryan adams and bon jovi. so i dont think i want loud music.

i am hoping that i would get pointers to more detailed discussions here.
Old 3rd August 2008, 15:11   #8499
Senior - BHPian

First Question.
Are you willing to Sacrifice your Door panels on the altar of sound quality

you see , to get decent low end , you'll need to install 5/6" components in the door.

A good install will look like this
Old 3rd August 2008, 15:55   #8500
BHPian

hi GreenHorn,

yeah. somewhere on thread related to wagonr ice setup, had read comment that the front speakers on stock location is not good option as it will damage the speakers on long run.
so if this is the case, then i am ready for door option.
also this makes me more confused as to why then people dont opt for installing rear speakers on rear door instead of parcel tray and other locations..
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:27   #8501
Senior - BHPian

door locations dont give as much bass as the rear parcel tray, especially when you have a well made MDF parcel tray

and you cant install 6x9's on doors either !
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:27   #8502
Senior - BHPian

@chetan, that's a good plan. There is a wide variety you can choose from:

* HU: Blaupunkt / Pioneer / JVC / Kenwood - depending on features, would be 4-9K - select based on what features you want.

* Speakers:
- Stock location has not much choice (no, speakers don't go bad in that location, as long as you don't pour a jug of water on it!) since it is 4". You could also consider good coaxes instead of components. Blaupunkt BG402 coaxes, Illusion Electra 4" components, JBL has a CS series 4" coax, perhaps Polk. Bass is rather limited in 4" speakers
- Front doors as @green suggested: Blaupunkt THc / JBL GTO / Illusion Electra / Polk db or Momo / Hertz Deici or Bull if you can get it

Make sure you audition the speakers before buying. There are good installers like Auto Fusion in Koramangala, EVO (PM @blueraven) in Cambridge Layout, Sound Factor in Lavelle Road (for JBL) etc.
Old 4th August 2008, 00:35   #8503
BHPian

checked out the space saver install done by auto fusion and satya.
both installs are using the front door location for the comps.
but i am not sure which location to choose as i havent auditioned any such systems.

After going thru most of the threads, i think i am looking for pioneer 6050. i am not sure if any other pioneer HU (comparetively cheaper) can be used which can give the same flexibility.

will surely visit anwar and satya, mostly on coming weekend.

thanks to all of you guys, for supporting me.

Old 6th August 2008, 23:25   #8504
BHPian

hi all
has anyone taken a JBL bass tube , cut off 6-7 inches off the back and then sealed it with an MDF cylindrical piece of wood so as to construct a sealed enclosure with the correct volume as required?
if not, can i have your thoughts on the same.is it possible ,viable and do you guys think it would work?
me thinking of doing it in my old car
Old 7th August 2008, 00:12   #8505
Senior - BHPian

@magma, wouldn't it be simpler to remove the port and seal it with a small MDF piece from inside? Check the T-S specs of the sub, it just might be that the recommended sealed box volume may be the same as the ported box volume. Anyhow, a little extra volume in the sealed box does no harm. IF you need to reduce volume, you could keep some bricks inside and keep the tube with the speaker pointing up.

"cut off 6-7 inches off the back and ... with the correct volume as required" does not sound right / accurate. Cutting the cylinder might sound easy, but may land up being a mess - it is made of rolled paper. Sealing with a "cylindrical" MDF piece may not have a good seal.

Try it, you have nothing to lose. If you don't like it, you can always put the port back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks