Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2008, 10:08   #8326

Ganesh here

Hi
M new here and need some advice.
Got to know about team-bhp while browsing for the MUV'S and SUV'S (India)
Now settled with a Tavera.
Got it with factory fitted Kenwood (cd/mp3).
Replaced the head unit with a JVC DVD/USB and used the Kenwood speakers.
Kenwood speaker matched fine for the JVC.
Also got a JBL amp(2-ch) and speaker (sub, but just 1).
Got an old 120gb IDE hard disk at home and got a IDE to USB converter.
Just tried hard disk in the JVC USB (keeping the car idle) and it worked fine.
Now I want to know - how safe it would be to carry the hard disk on-board while driving with all the jerks and bumps (my roads are true-classic-Indian)????
What can I do to protect the hard disk from bumps?
Thanks in advance
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:53   #8327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajsree View Post
Got an old 120gb IDE hard disk at home and got a IDE to USB converter.
Just tried hard disk in the JVC USB (keeping the car idle) and it worked fine.
Now I want to know - how safe it would be to carry the hard disk on-board while driving with all the jerks and bumps (my roads are true-classic-Indian)????
Thanks in advance
PC HDDs are not designed to take bumps. So it will definitely take some hits and will fail ultimately. Maybe you can add some additional padding and keep it fixed firm somewhere to minimise the jerks. Again the heat generated inside a parked car might also damage it. It is better if you can shield it from the heat/sunlight.

But the best bet is to use a USB flash drive since it does not have any moving parts. One downside is the memory available, but 4GB@1.2k is a good deal. Also try using laptop HDDs. They are better desinged to absorb shocks and are compact too.

One thing I would like to know.. How are you powering your HDD now??
And roads in chennai are pretty decent. Which place you drive that has many bumps??

Last edited by praveen_v : 23rd June 2008 at 10:55.
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:51   #8328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajsree View Post
... Now I want to know - how safe it would be to carry the hard disk on-board while driving with all the jerks and bumps (my roads are true-classic-Indian)????
1. Make sure you keep the hard disk vertical, i.e. set on the narrow side. Keep the HDD box in the glove compartment
2. Get gel packs and keep it around the HDD box. If you cant find those, get polyester granules used below indoor plants (you'll get it in the shops selling China-made novelty items), soak them in water, fill it in plastic zip pouches and use these to cushion the HDD box
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:08   #8329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
I have a question on mounting components in alto door,should i cut A+B or A only as shown in pic.
cut A to accommodate the scacers and cut B partially. do not cut the part B in such a way that you make a through hole for the spacers to directly fit over the metal. instead its better that u drill a hole through the spacers the fibre i.e Part B and then metal and screw them all together tightly.
this will ensure that your fibre doesnt rattle the grand MARUTI style.
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:02   #8330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
cut A to accommodate the scacers and cut B partially. do not cut the part B in such a way that you make a through hole for the spacers to directly fit over the metal. instead its better that u drill a hole through the spacers the fibre i.e Part B and then metal and screw them all together tightly.
this will ensure that your fibre doesnt rattle the grand MARUTI style.
Thanks Amith.
Do you have any photos of installation-before mounting speakers.It will be helpful if you send it to me.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:16   #8331
BHPian

hello all
i came across this sub while surfing.
i found it rated only 50rms
0.5cu ft box
Xmax 10.5
freq resp 24HZ-350Hz which i found quite low compared to the others i surfed
and sensitivity 91db which is on the higher side too in comparison

this sub being only 50 rms with low freq response i was wondering its best applicatiions and use.
For whome would such a sub be suitable and exactly where would it be placed for best effect?
would this qualify as a really goo under the seat sub which can be driven even by the HU or 2channels of an 4ohm output amp?(if thats possible)

Boston Acoustics G110-44 (g11044) , Component Subwoofers, 10" Component Subwoofers - Sonic Electronix
l

Last edited by Magma : 30th June 2008 at 22:31.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:37   #8332
BHPian

this is a free deal sub. you can surely go for it !!
Old 30th June 2008, 22:57   #8333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
this is a free deal sub. you can surely go for it !!
sir but i would like to know where and who would use a sub rated only 50rms?
isint that too low? or does this sub have specific applications with its higher sensitivity and low freq response?
the reason i ask is because i have never come across a sub rated only 50rms
Old 1st July 2008, 11:26   #8334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
sir but i would like to know where and who would use a sub rated only 50rms? the reason i ask is because i have never come across a sub rated only 50rms

While power handling is not the only spec once needs to consider (try 50w rms with a Klipschorn) this sub has very little going for it. Low power handling, average sensitivity, foam surround, and a cone that looks heavy. I'd leave it alone.
Old 1st July 2008, 21:11   #8335
BHPian

I have two amps in my santro; one a Clarion APA 450 @50W*4 and the other, the GTO 75.4 @ 104W*4.
I had a standard issue Exide Freedom that suddenly died out after 2.5 years of service.
I checked out an Amaron Pro DIN 60 but my garage guy recommended Bosch. I am going in for a Bosch Silver battery tomorrow and just wanted to know the best amperage that i should go in for ?

Am planning on getting it installed at the Bosch Dealer off the Santacruz (W) police station, the Air-India Garden Junction.
Old 1st July 2008, 21:30   #8336
BHPian

Wait !!!

The Best Battery to buy is from Optima.

It is sold in India by Amar Raja Batteries. Amaron i.e.

Do not buy any other battery.
This is the Best !!
Old 1st July 2008, 23:33   #8337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
Wait !!!

The Best Battery to buy is from Optima.
It is sold in India by Amar Raja Batteries. Amaron i.e.
Do not buy any other battery.
This is the Best !!
Optima is a Johnson Controls product, Amar Raja have a technical collaboration with them for the "Amaron" brand. They imported one "large lot" of Optima batteries but were unable to move them due to low demand and high pricing. Eventually the battery stock outlived its shelf life and the unfortunate few that purchased them had to live with a failed battery as Amar Raja were not able to replace them even within the warranty period.

I was using the Amaron Pro DIN60 for a while before it failed on me. It was covered under warranty and I got a Bosch instead. Its been a year and I have no complaints with the Bosch.

BTW, even BOSCH batteries are made by Amar Raja in the same plant as Amaron batteries but built to BOSCH quality and specs.
Old 1st July 2008, 23:43   #8338
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommend the Optima to anyone. It might be a good product but it failed in my car in 3 months time. And I am so lucky that I also could not get a replacement. Instead after fighting with them I got a oem battery along with another of there silver battery
Old 2nd July 2008, 15:09   #8339
BHPian

Exide or Standard Furukawa batteries are quite good. Never faced any issues with them in the past. OEM batteries of Exide in my Santro & Maruti 800 lasted for more than 4 years (No amp or sub). And later replacement was Standard Furukawa- again no problems for years.

In fact Standard Furukawa batteries are even less priced than Exide.
Old 2nd July 2008, 15:51   #8340
BHPian

sad.......

Dual-purpose
  • Deep cycling and cranking power all packed into one battery.
Longer life
  • Lasts up to 2 times longer than traditional flat-plate batteries.
Higher reserve capacity
  • Constant performance quality, which keeps your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.
Optimal starting power
  • More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead-acid batteries.
Longer shelf-life (lower self-discharge)
  • Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a vehicle.
Vibration resistance
  • 15 times more resistant to vibration than traditional lead-acid batteries.
Leak-proof
  • Mountable in almost any position.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have used these batteries in 3 of my cars & have not had any issues with it - I guess I was lucky.

As Gunbir mentioned, the lot has been stopped.
So now, what is the next option ? Stinger Battery ? Price ?

I do not like to use Caps in my installs, I have always depended on 'deep discharge batteries' What are my options ?

Suggestion,,,, please.....

Thanks,

Most Viewed