Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 15:01   #8131
BHPian

And dont buy BOSS branded stuff. Stinger, Ichibahn etc are good brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
Hi Gurus,

If not, any particular brand for fuse and fuse holders? Are they available 'off the shelf' in car accessories stores?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th May 2008, 15:07   #8132
BHPian

I am currently in the (mental) process of changing the factory fitted HU in my Swift Dzire with either a Pioneer or Alpine. And incidentally a friend of mine is going to US very soon. As I researched prices of Alpine HU's are quiet decent in there.

Should I buy a Alpine CDE-9881 (Rs. 5600) from US or better off buying a Pioneer DEH-P5050UB (Rs. 6500-7000 grey) from India itself.

Need help on this. Here are their respective links:

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - CDE-9881
DEH-P5050UB
Old 29th May 2008, 15:42   #8133
Senior - BHPian

if you dont plan to add an amp, get an alpine.
Old 29th May 2008, 16:14   #8134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if you dont plan to add an amp, get an alpine.
Oops. My current setup is:

Boston 6.5" S60 compos
JBL GT-5 6.5" co-axials
JBL GT-5 604 amp
JBL 12" Bass Tube

But why say that go for alpine if I don't plan an amp If Alpines are superior they will be the same with or without an amp.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:17   #8135
Senior - BHPian

from what i was told , the internal amp of alpine HU's has better (more ) output than the others
Old 29th May 2008, 22:02   #8136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
from what i was told , the internal amp of alpine HU's has better (more ) output than the others
That would depend on each individual models greenhorn. One cannot generalize by brand alone.

That's the same as saying Mercedes is more powerful than BMW.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:10   #8137
BHPian

According to respective specs of pioneer n alpine, sound shaping can be better controlled on an Pioneer than Alpine.

Apart from that is the overall SQ of Alpine superior to Pioneers.

People who switched over from Alpine to Pioneer or vice-versa- Any Comments....
Old 30th May 2008, 11:44   #8138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Poona Motors keeps a wide range of such accessories like fuses, fuse holders, ring terminals etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
And dont buy BOSS branded stuff. Stinger, Ichibahn etc are good brands.
Thanks for the replies, guys.

B & T,

I went in for 16 sq mm wire (60 Amps current carrying capacity, Polycab make). My amp is rated at 60 x 4 watts. I could use the existing fuse holder as well as the fuse. No problems there. Thanks again.

Aditya,

I had bought 'Tsunami' kit at the time of install, six months ago. While I was happy with the sound, of late I felt something was amiss. After changing the power cable, I could notice a substantial difference in the sound, but one problem has cropped up. Will discuss it on alternator whine thread.
Old 30th May 2008, 13:40   #8139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Poona Motors keeps a wide range of such accessories like fuses, fuse holders, ring terminals etc.
Ajay while they do stock fuse holder & fuses etc they are still not there with using ring terminals & connectors. I had insisted on using a clamp\ring terminal type of arrangements for speakers so that they can be taken of as & when the need be & once they simply taped the connection after winding the wires on speakers connetor & for my electras they soldered the points.

They are good installers & ama satisfied customer but some finishing touches are still missing & you need to be really firm to get things done as per your way.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:29   #8140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Ajay while they do stock fuse holder & fuses etc they are still not there with using ring terminals & connectors. I had insisted on using a clamp\ring terminal type of arrangements for speakers so that they can be taken of as & when the need be & once they simply taped the connection after winding the wires on speakers connetor & for my electras they soldered the points.

They are good installers & ama satisfied customer but some finishing touches are still missing & you need to be really firm to get things done as per your way.

you know this thing of not using ring or spade terminals to connect the power wire to the amp or the speaker wire to the amp is quite common.
Some installers believe the age old way of twisting and tightening the wire around the screws of the amp provide a better longer lasting connection.
(yes the downside being that its a pain to remove and reconnect)
P.S i have two instals done in either way. i dont find a difference.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:37   #8141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
P.S i have two instals done in either way. i dont find a difference.
At first glance it may not make a difference - but here is my view on why it will make a difference.
  1. As we know, maximum surface contact is what creates least resistance and ensures the you use EVERY strand of copper in that wire. No matter how tight the screw is, it cannot assure 100% contact, without a terminating ring.
  2. Loose strands of wire can possibly create an inter-terminal shorting hazard at a later point.
However, please note that the ring must be mounted and crimped properly by the installer, if that connection is incorrect, shoddy or loose, the ring can actually prove detrimental than advantageous.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:49   #8142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
However, please note that the ring must be mounted and crimped properly by the installer, if that connection is incorrect, shoddy or loose, the ring can actually prove detrimental than advantageous.
Sam, the connectors that came with the 75.4 amp could not be used on the GZ power cable. The power cable was thicker than the ring, and the connector with the installer had a thicker ring, but in this case, the fork(i dont know how else to call it!) of the connectors will simply not fit in 75.4. The were too big. How to go about it now?
I could not find connectors with fork size of 75.4's connector but with a bigger ring.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:55   #8143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Sam, the connectors that came with the 75.4 amp could not be used on the GZ power cable. The power cable was thicker than the ring, and the connector with the installer had a thicker ring, but in this case, the fork(i dont know how else to call it!) of the connectors will simply not fit in 75.4. The were too big. How to go about it now?
I could not find connectors with fork size of 75.4's connector but with a bigger ring.
I think the 75.4 requires 8ga power cables. And maybe the connectors are designed accordingly. Are you using 4ga GZ cables?
Old 30th May 2008, 16:20   #8144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Sam, the connectors that came with the 75.4 amp could not be used on the GZ power cable. The power cable was thicker than the ring, ...
@praveen_v, ask your installer to get proper cable lugs that will fit in the 75.4 connector. If the cable strands do not fit *that*, split the cable strands into 2 parts and crimp 1 lug on each part. Then, if the insulated ends are bent a bit, both the lugs will go into the 75.4 connector together. Use fork lugs instead of ring lugs.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:32   #8145
BANNED

Hi All,

I have booked SX4 ZXi. Planning to upgrade the system. My budget is somewhere around 50k.

Also please suggest if ther is a wasy to uninstall the nippon player that SX4 is coming with and install a new system with the steering controls functional.

I am basically looking for a good head unit, component speakers, subwoofers/bass tubes.

All suggestions are welcome....

Thanks in advance....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks