Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2007, 22:26   #7051

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecfrek View Post
My car ('06 Accent GLE) currently has the following setup:
..................... I asked around and found a shop giving Sony amplifiers (i think 502 or something) for 3.5K and a JBL subwoofer for the same price. He did not have a boxed piece at the moment so i do not know which models precisely he was talking about. Any clue how good these two are? Thanks a lot for reading this problem... Waiting for all your valuable insights.
Hello tecfrek, lets wait for the gurus to answer your technical queries , meanwhile it is my duty as a fellow newbie to warn you about the counterfeit JBL speakers I had the misfortune of chancing upon,complete with box and shrink wrap ,it wasn't until the shopkeeper gleefully pointed out that its a fake product(made in Delhi) that I noticed the minor faults with packaging and the tacky print-job.
Not that I'm any better at identifying such fake producs but I'd advise caution nevertheless before you part with your brass. Just my 2 cents.
Old 23rd September 2007, 23:02   #7052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintu_bhopali View Post
it is my duty as a fellow newbie to warn you about the counterfeit JBL speakers I had the misfortune of chancing upon,complete with box and shrink wrap ,it wasn't until the shopkeeper gleefully pointed out that its a fake product(made in Delhi) that I noticed the minor faults with packaging and the tacky print-job.
Not that I'm any better at identifying such fake producs but I'd advise caution nevertheless before you part with your brass. Just my 2 cents.
*raising both eyebrows* - you saw spurious JBL speakers in Bangalore that were made in delhi? That is extremely unlikely chintu. There are no fake JBL speakers made in New Delhi to my knowledge.
And JBL products are not usually shrink wrapped either.

However if you did see such a thing, perhaps a picture and a clearer warning (Such as where you saw this) would help the other newbies. I too am most curious.
Old 23rd September 2007, 23:55   #7053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
*raising both eyebrows* - you saw spurious JBL speakers in Bangalore that were made in delhi? That is extremely unlikely chintu. There are no fake JBL speakers made in New Delhi to my knowledge.
And JBL products are not usually shrink wrapped either.

However if you did see such a thing, perhaps a picture and a clearer warning (Such as where you saw this) would help the other newbies. I too am most curious.
I'm sorry , in my eagerness to warn tecfrek (and him asking about SONY amp and JBL sub ) I typed JBL instead of SONY.
What I saw were infact fake SONY speakers(front coaxials I guess), and do let me know if you want to know the name of the shop.

I guess my hunt for JBL speakers for right prices is indeed making me little paranoid , and its good to know that there are no fake JBL speakers floating around in the market ,I didn't know that.

My apologies again.
Old 24th September 2007, 10:20   #7054
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecfrek View Post
Sony Xplod GT250S Head Unit
4 * Pioneer TS A1681R Speakers (Mounted on the front doors and rear parcel tray)

Only the front left speaker works (barely, very very soft output) and the right one is completely mute. The rear ones are fluctuating as well and it feels like they will stop working soon too. Hence, i would like to upgrade.

Firstly, what would be the best upgrade for me given my scenario? I would like to check all four speakers and fix it up like how it was initially. After that, i would like to add a subwoofer with an amp.
My budget is around 9K. I asked around and found a shop giving Sony amplifiers (i think 502 or something) for 3.5K and a JBL subwoofer for the same price.
1. do you know a good installer where you live? ask him to check each component (all 4 speakers and the HU) of your existing system and determine where the fault lies. From the symptoms you mention it might only be some loose wire.

2. Once you get all 4 speakers working determine if you are ahppy with the sound of your exisitng speakers. There are better speakers than Pioneer out there.

3. Now that you are satisfied with the sound of the 4 speakers you can add a sub. The sony amp (552) and JBL sub will do a good job given their price.
Old 24th September 2007, 23:11   #7055
Senior - BHPian

Bhaiyo or behano ! Need a small suggestion .Am planning to install a mono amp to my sub in a similar manner. I would like to know the pros and cons of fixing this way.

The reason I am going for this method is that I want to maximise my boot space when I really need them,so I am going to make a plug- sort of arrangment so that the whole sub setup can be moved easily if additional space is required.
Old 24th September 2007, 23:20   #7056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
... .Am planning to install a mono amp to my sub in a similar manner. I would like to know the pros and cons of fixing this way.

<picture>

The reason I am going for this method is that I want to maximise my boot space when I really need them,so I am going to make a plug- sort of arrangment so that the whole sub setup can be moved easily if additional space is required.
Pros:
Like you said, more boot space.

Cons
:
1) Disconnecting the amp every time will be a hassle. Power & ground cables will need to be removed. So will RCA cables. The cable to the sub is of course hard-wired, so that will not need to be removed.

2) The amp will have to be fixed very well. IMHO You'll probably need to use extra-thick wood (2.5" MDF or so) on one side to make sure the vibrations from the sub don't affect the seating of the amp, or the components of the amp.

3) I personally don't think subjecting an electronic item like the amp to continuous vibrations of the sort a sub will produce is that good a thing.

Why don't you fix the amp to the back of the seat or something, and make just the sub removable? Do you really need to fix the amp on the sub-box? I don't think the minor saving of space by fixing the amp on the sub-box will be worth the hassle.
Old 24th September 2007, 23:25   #7057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

3) I personally don't think subjecting an electronic item like the amp to continuous vibrations of the sort a sub will produce is that good a thing.
i was and am worried about the same thing but has any of your friends tried it ?
Old 24th September 2007, 23:29   #7058
BHPian

I have and there is no problem at all. My sony mono was installed exactly like this for over two years without any problems. The amp is still working now.
Old 24th September 2007, 23:32   #7059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was and am worried about the same thing but has any of your friends tried it ?
Nope. Never seen it done myself.

What do you plan to haul in that humongous boot of yours (present and planned) that you need 3 inches of extra boot depth/width for?
Old 25th September 2007, 07:32   #7060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Never seen it done myself.

What do you plan to haul in that humongous boot of yours (present and planned) that you need 3 inches of extra boot depth/width for?
Hmm part of my need can be attributed to my aesthetic needs. But if its not good for the amp , I will definitely chuck the idea !
Old 25th September 2007, 09:18   #7061

Quote:
Bhaiyo or behano ! Need a small suggestion .Am planning to install a mono amp to my sub in a similar manner. I would like to know the pros and cons of fixing this way.

Hi, I had used such an arrangement for over a year. The reason being I could use the same sub+amp in either of our 2 cars cutting down on further investment at that point of time. Primary concern for me then was connecting/disconnecting the setup each time I wanted it moved. Initially I had to disconnect battery terminals. Later i had used "Hi-Current" isloators and connectors that I had secured from my company's scrapped electric fork lift.
Old 25th September 2007, 17:09   #7062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pros:
Like you said, more boot space.
he drives a Sienna! seen its boot? Those with hatchbacks and sub boxes gonna shoot him!
Old 25th September 2007, 17:58   #7063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
he drives a Sienna! seen its boot? Those with hatchbacks and sub boxes gonna shoot him!
Oh come on JK its not much, just 510 lit
Old 25th September 2007, 19:06   #7064
BANNED

One question to Gurus donno whether its already discussed or not, If amps are used in very moderate way for example just 20% of their peak power will it affect the power cosumption?My question is power cosumption of Amps are steady or varies upon sound level?
Old 25th September 2007, 19:09   #7065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
One question to Gurus donno whether its already discussed or not, If amps are used in very moderate way for example just 20% of their peak power will it affect the power cosumption?My question is power cosumption of Amps are steady or varies upon sound level?
It vary according to the sound level. The bass notes need more power but the mid and the highs require less power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks