Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 18:02   #7036
Distinguished - BHPian

I didnt know that Stile 1.6 comes with stock speaker wiring ( i reckon the gurus here can comment better if its ok to use the same for your ICE installation). But, i am thinking as most manafacturers cut cost, they may have provided a basic wiring set-up. So if you can, get them out and go for scoche wiring ( even i have the same)

Most people advise you to have the tweeters on the dashboard just below the A pillar ( i got them in the same place). And, if your installer does a good job, you needn't shed tears for them tearing up your brand new dashboard

And acutally the older version of tweeters in the good old days used to be stuck on the B pillars so that its jingle and jangle is pretty much close to the ears

Btw, let me contribute a bit more in increasing your spending. Did you think of dampening your car?

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st September 2007 at 18:04.
Old 21st September 2007, 18:35   #7037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintu_bhopali View Post
I need advice on ICE system for my car (Palio Stile 1.6) , the accessory shop I enquired in offered me following prices (all of them without B&W)

HU :Pioneer 7950 - 9000/-
Speakers rear JBL 937 - 3100/-
Front components JBL 607 -5100/-

Are prices above fair enough?(without B&W)

I was given to understand that this kind of setup would require an amp .Which amp should I go for for the above setup(with an option to hookup subwoofer on later date)?

My total budget is around 20-22k
Welcome, Chintu!

The 7950's price sounds about OK.

I think the GTO607c is a over-priced, if he isn't giving you B&W. A B&W piece will run to 6500/- max. I've heard of a few people getting this comp-set for 5500/- and 5300/-, with JBL's B&W.

The price of the 937s sound somewhat ok for a non-B&W piece, but still a bit high. The B&W item will be about 4800/-. [Ovals are more popular than Pamela Anderson in India, so the grey-guys import more of ovals than anything else. So their prices should be low, considering that they keep a lot of stocks and that the stocks move fast enough -- and especially because they leave the buyer holding the sack (pun intended) if something goes wrong with the speakers.]

I think if you're ready to pay these prices, you should go for a B&W piece (bargain hard and mention Sam's name). You will not have pay a whole lot more at all, for speakers with B&W.

An amp is not a must, but a definite desirable, as you have components. Keep the amp for later, if you'd like or stretch your budget now. A Pioneer 6300 (@ 7K) or a JBL 60.4 (@ 8k) or a Blau GTA4 Special (@ 6K I think) are good options of entry level amps. If you want to go a step further you have the JBL GT special edition amp (forgot the model no. - 4060?) or the JBL GTO 75.4 (@ 13k). You'll have to spend about 2K to 3K in addition to the Amp's cost for power & RCA cabling, so account for that too in your budget.

Happy ICEing!
Old 21st September 2007, 18:44   #7038
Senior - BHPian

@Chintu, the Palio has stock wiring only for speakers, not for Power. The stock speaker wiring is ok for un-amplified speakers. If you add an amp, it would be a very good idea to upgrade the speaker cables.

You will have to add power wiring & RCA wiring anyway with an amp.

Like mobike008 said, the lower A pillar is the best place for installing tweeters. The Stock tweeter locations of a Palio are kinda funny, with the tweeter firing onto the windscreen. You can try getting them installed there, and if you like the way the sound, best leave them there (hidden and protected). The Palio's dash doesn't give you a lot of options of tweeter placement otherwise, except for the corner of the dash (where it meets the A pillars).

EDIT: Mod-ji, please forgive the double post (within a few minutes). Posting from my phone, on a train, so editing/cutting & pasting etc. is kinda dicey with the connection getting cut off every few minutes.

Last edited by hydrashok : 21st September 2007 at 18:47.
Old 21st September 2007, 19:50   #7039
Senior - BHPian

Decide budget and stick to it !

Quote:
chintu_bhopali
I believe its going to be JBL 60.4 then , I'll go little over the budget here but one can always borrow money from friends and cut back on six-packs consumed(atleast this I'm inclined to think is a pipe dream) .
Hi chintu, I use similar set up in my wagon R, you can check my photo album for all the details. It sounds great with matching each other products, eventhough tuning is not fully done. I plan to do it this weekend.

Quote:
mobike008
Btw, let me contribute a bit more in increasing your spending. Did you think of dampening your car?
This is one addictive part of T-bhp. So, chintu bro, please read my title here. Stick to it very well, or you will end up like me who had a budget of 10k and ended up in 65k as of today, but with lot more remaining in the list of upgrades ! Thats purely the result of lot of helping members here.
Old 21st September 2007, 22:07   #7040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I
Dampening?...eh?.....guess we are heading for deeper waters here.....is this an absolute must or a good to have thing?..and ahem!! how much lighter my pocket is going to be?
My requirements are pretty modest (or so I think) , I listen to lots of newage/instrumental tracks (Yanni,Vangelis etc) with grand piano's ,violins ,bass guitar and drums forming the major components of music. If my 3year old philips HP890 headphones can reproduce these sounds faithfully to my liking then I guess this ICE setup with amp thrown in should do a grand job.

So...do I really need to think about dampening? and let me add that playing these kind of tracks in Bangalore traffic noise is an absolute disgrace to both artist and equipment.
Old 21st September 2007, 22:43   #7041

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Welcome, Chintu!

The 7950's price sounds about OK.

I think the GTO607c is a over-priced, if he isn't giving you B&W. A B&W piece will run to 6500/- max. I've heard of a few people getting this comp-set for 5500/- and 5300/-, with JBL's B&W.

The price of the 937s sound somewhat ok for a non-B&W piece, but still a bit high. The B&W item will be about 4800/-.
I think if you're ready to pay these prices, you should go for a B&W piece (bargain hard and mention Sam's name). You will not have pay a whole lot more at all, for speakers with B&W.
Thank you hydrashok , from what you said ,607's sure look overpriced and I'm mighty glad you told me that beforehand and I didn't fall for the dealer's honest and final non-negotiable price.I almost made up my mind to go for them but now I think more research is in order.
Old 21st September 2007, 23:20   #7042

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Stick to the budget:

This is one addictive part of T-bhp. So, chintu bro, please read my title here. Stick to it very well, or you will end up like me who had a budget of 10k and ended up in 65k as of today, but with lot more remaining in the list of upgrades ! Thats purely the result of lot of helping members here.
Tell me about it!!!....there I was not a day ago, in my blissful ignorance ,picturing myself enjoying a long quiet drive with quality music,happy as hog wallowing in mud .Thought 22k would hit the spot ...apparently not.... because now I'm itching to plonk couple of grands more to get all that stock wiring replaced after hydrashot broke the news that they are no good with amp.
Old 22nd September 2007, 13:48   #7043
BHPian

How to get the thump with just a subwoofer

Hi team....I wanted to know if an amplifier is required if just a subwoofer needs to be installed....I have a pioneer headunit with two speakers from ford....not sure of the specs though...Pls help....And how should the subwoofer be installed in the ikon to get the best thump!!!!...Will insatlliing a bass tube help.......How much will the bass tube cost????
Old 22nd September 2007, 19:32   #7044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Hi team....I wanted to know if an amplifier is required if just a subwoofer needs to be installed....I have a pioneer headunit with two speakers from ford....not sure of the specs though...Pls help....And how should the subwoofer be installed in the ikon to get the best thump!!!!...Will insatlliing a bass tube help.......How much will the bass tube cost????
Your HU can power your rear speakers therefore, you would need a 2 channel or a 4 channel ( this is better incase you upgrade your ICE in future) to power your subwoofer.

If your looking at basstube the 10" JBL ones come for about 5K and 12" comes for about 6.5K. I think the model number is JBL 1204T. Bass tubes give you a huge thump and is good value for money but if your looking for a more tighter bass then it has to be a woofer in enclosure. Listen to both and decide which one fits your needs.

For the Amp, you can go for Pio for about 7K or JBL 60.4 for 7K or best of the lot ( in these choices) 75.4 for 13K
Old 23rd September 2007, 05:06   #7045
BHPian

thnx for the advice.....

Hey thanks mobike008.....I guess that shud help me decide....Probably i might go for just the bass tube........bcoz of the budget..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Your HU can power your rear speakers therefore, you would need a 2 channel or a 4 channel ( this is better incase you upgrade your ICE in future) to power your subwoofer.

If your looking at basstube the 10" JBL ones come for about 5K and 12" comes for about 6.5K. I think the model number is JBL 1204T. Bass tubes give you a huge thump and is good value for money but if your looking for a more tighter bass then it has to be a woofer in enclosure. Listen to both and decide which one fits your needs.

For the Amp, you can go for Pio for about 7K or JBL 60.4 for 7K or best of the lot ( in these choices) 75.4 for 13K
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:05   #7046
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lance..
A subwoofer without an amp regardless of fitted in a bass tube or enclosure may not help in attaining the thump you need. If there was a choice like that, I would have opted for it to cut down my total budget. Presently the lowest considered budget, I have a set up of JBL 60.4 amp (6.5k) and Pioneer Sub TS-W307D2 (12", 3.5k) in a Ported Box (1.5k) which gives an amazing thump the way I wanted. If you are not bothered about the budget, then there are many choices of subs like Inifinity, Kicker, JL, Image Dynamics, JBL and many such brands.

This link can give you some technical information on choosing the right woofer Epinions.com - How To Choose The Right Car Subwoofer

This link can throw some basic light on Enclosures too http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/Subwoofer+Enclosures
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:28   #7047
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to ICE chintu - you seem to have got all the right advice you need.
It's a pleasure to read your posts, you are polite and articulate. Enjoy your stay here.
Old 23rd September 2007, 17:33   #7048
BHPian

Clarion DXZ776USB

Friends - I want to change the head unit in my car from Alpine 9881 to Clarion DXZ776USB. Please let me know if someone can help in sourcing either 776USB or 676USB in Bangalore.

I spoke with the Clarion official distributor and they told me they don't have any of these units.
Old 23rd September 2007, 19:11   #7049

Need help with speaker upgrade

My car ('06 Accent GLE) currently has the following setup:

Sony Xplod GT250S Head Unit
4 * Pioneer TS A1681R Speakers (Mounted on the front doors and rear parcel tray)

Now, the problem is that my sound quality is absolutely abysmal. It is worsening by the day and recently, the front speakers gave away and more or less stopped functioning now. Only the front left speaker works (barely, very very soft output) and the right one is completely mute. The rear ones are fluctuating as well and it feels like they will stop working soon too. Hence, i would like to upgrade.

Firstly, what would be the best upgrade for me given my scenario? I would like to check all four speakers and fix it up like how it was initially. After that, i would like to add a subwoofer with an amp. Please suggest how i can go about doing this. Also, will adding a subwoofer really help me? Or should it be sufficient if i just purchase new oval speakers with good range and just add an amplifier? I am going for a value for money upgrade and do not want something that will wake up my neighbourhood. More than anything, i would like the sound systems to be clear to hear rather than being loud and flashy. Bass doesn't have to be very profound but should be there nevertheless. I am looking for a good clear range speaker setup. What will be the total tally of the entire exercise? My budget is around 9K. I asked around and found a shop giving Sony amplifiers (i think 502 or something) for 3.5K and a JBL subwoofer for the same price. He did not have a boxed piece at the moment so i do not know which models precisely he was talking about. Any clue how good these two are? Thanks a lot for reading this problem... Waiting for all your valuable insights.
Old 23rd September 2007, 21:31   #7050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Welcome to ICE chintu - you seem to have got all the right advice you need.
Indeed Sam , now I'm more wiser (relatively speaking) and know tad more about ICE and can probably tell between a fair sales pitch and over-the-top-100%-money-back lie.

Most Viewed