Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 18:12   #6931
Senior - BHPian

Old 31st August 2007, 18:26   #6932
BHPian

Hissing...

Guys,
I asked this else where. But nothing came up, so bringing it up again here. Need this help badly.

Is it possible to detail on things to do, to find the source of hissing? Originally I had a setup with sony hu, 504z, coax in front and rear and the cables were bose. When ever I used the preprogrammed eq settings, used get this hissing. So i kept every such setting to off, which had solved the problem.

Now, recently moved to 7950 and changed the front to 507 jbl comps. The hissing is back. This even with all setting in HU switched off. Its very less... but its still there.

Is it possible to have a comprehensive list of thing to check on? So far this is what i have gathered by reading thru old posts.

1. Proper grounding not being done...
2. Audio cables and power cables to amp are running too close to each other.
3. Fake amps, hu (remember some one mentioning this long time back)

Is that it or some thing more needs to be checked? I am going to installer back. I may have to sit on his head to check them out. So please help....

Do they make fake 504z and 7950?? Both brought w/o b&w.

Last edited by gkrishn : 31st August 2007 at 18:28.
Old 31st August 2007, 19:10   #6933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Guys,
When ever I used the preprogrammed eq settings, used get this hissing. So i kept every such setting to off, which had solved the problem.

Now, recently moved to 7950 and changed the front to 507 jbl comps. The hissing is back. This even with all setting in HU switched off. Its very less... but its still there.
Looks like the distortion has always been there. The presets would have boosted the mid-to-high frequencies making the hissing prominent/visible.

Quote:
Is it possible to have a comprehensive list of thing to check on? So far this is what i have gathered by reading thru old posts.

1. Proper grounding not being done...
2. Audio cables and power cables to amp are running too close to each other.
3. Fake amps, hu (remember some one mentioning this long time back)
That is a good checklist according to me. I'd like you to try better RCA cables. Also, check for some loose connections or leaks in the RCA cables/speaker wires.

AFAIK, I've never heard of a fake 7950.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 31st August 2007 at 19:12.
Old 31st August 2007, 19:43   #6934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
or leaks in the RCA cables/speaker wires.
what you mean by leak???
Old 31st August 2007, 20:28   #6935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Jab "raja" kane hai to Clip ka kya hoga!
Janaab, aap kya farmana chahte the? Dr. Rajah Sir @Clipto333muthupandianarasuchettiar, TBN, BOB&T!?
Old 31st August 2007, 20:32   #6936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jab "raja" kane hai to Clip ka kya hoga!
Andhon mein kana RAJA
Old 31st August 2007, 20:33   #6937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
what you mean by leak???
Electrical discharge between signal cable and shield.

Check if an unused rear input is ON in the settings. For example, if AUX-IN is not being used, keep it OFF. Same with the iPod interface.
Old 1st September 2007, 06:10   #6938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Janaab, aap kya farmana chahte the? Dr. Rajah Sir @Clipto333muthupandianarasuchettiar, TBN, BOB&T!?
deralte paaji, ye kya hai uncle ji? lol my name is j.padmaraj(when im in ponicherry i rent a bike(same bike everytime. enticer) there is a sticker on the head light which says j.padmaraj so some people started calling me that lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Andhon mein kana RAJA
thanks for clarifying lol.

Quote:
all XOs have an acoustical slope maybe not 6db maybe 24db or 22db or whatever but they all have an acoustic slope which a combination of the electrical slope and the natural roll off of the driver.

most companies take into account the driver's natural roll off and also other factors such as baffle step, type of enclosure (and sometimes lack of an enclosure), etc.. when designing an XO.

All my XOs take into account the driver's natural roll off. No I have never designed a 1st order acoustic XO but most XOs I have designed compensate for the driver's natural roll off and even baffle step, impedance peaks and such. I used to use LEAP and LMS but now I use LspCad and driver files. Besides a lot of this is experience.

BTW the diyaudio site (Sam, LBM and many others are also active there) is a very good palce to start (audio asylum is another). Also with my recent interests in OB, fullranges, etc... my need for complex XOs is now limited.
one day i will invent a gadget that'll harness all your, b&ts, Sam's, gunbir's technical knowledge in my little peanut sized brain.

tum kane ho toh kya hua brain wale ho. raja navinji i dont need the eyes, brain chalegi.

if your need for complex xos are limited then please send me all your useless stuff.

thanks for mentioning the forums,

ajay bhai, remember we are gonna be partners? when we start mfring maybe i would be a PHD by then. lol

damn, its 6 in the morning lol ab phd toh pakki.(now phd is final)

cheers
clip.

ps.s - can you courier the caps to me? do you get premium brand of caps etc?

b&t bhai, i need to talk to you. want to discuss something. no, its not related to this forum but its about audio. please pm me your IM id if possible.

cheers
clip
Old 1st September 2007, 09:28   #6939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Dear Alte, seriously, being addressed as Janaab is compliment enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Andhon mein kana RAJA
Yes that was the reference. Pre Sam, B&T, LBM, Gunbir, etc... I considered myself exactly that (aandhe mein kane) . After these gurus came on this forum THEY (the Mods) demoted me to "Moderator" from "Guru".
Old 1st September 2007, 09:42   #6940
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
if your need for complex xos are limited then please send me all your useless stuff.
sorry but my son got hold of it. The other day he took a CTR 10uf capacitor to school for show and tell. I wonder what they (the school) thought.

as I have gotten older my needs have changed a lot. Less need for SPL but more need for a "goosebump" expereince.

My first big system was a 5 way tri amped behemoth and used all Philips drivers. After I left for college my mom discarded it. Then, in college, I was introduced to JBL's Pro series and I built something my friends called the Eliminator. All JBL Pro using 2 15" woofers, 2 8" mdibasses, horn mid and hf. 4 way fully active. 100db/1w. at 10W it could part your hair. then we (a friend and me) built a poor man's Eliminator using parts from Gold Sound but a cast concrete cabinet, then in the mid 80s came Dynaudio, Focal, Seas, Vifa, etc...and i got involved in every audio club I could find in the Tri-State area (NY, MA, CT).
Old 1st September 2007, 09:48   #6941
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ps.s - can you courier the caps to me? do you get premium brand of caps etc?
which caps? what values? CTR? if you need MIT, Wondercap etc.. I'll have to order them.
Old 1st September 2007, 10:59   #6942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333
one day i will invent a gadget that'll harness all your, b&ts, Sam's, gunbir's technical knowledge in my little peanut sized brain.
...and end up as a horny fat drunk old man that wears knickers? There must be an easier way to do that.

Quote:
tum kane ho toh kya hua brain wale ho. raja navinji i dont need the eyes, brain chalegi.
Actually, I had no clue what Navin was saying there. I thought he got angry or something.

Quote:
b&t bhai, i need to talk to you. want to discuss something. no, its not related to this forum but its about audio. please pm me your IM id if possible.
PM sent.
Old 1st September 2007, 13:02   #6943
BHPian

Quote:
sorry but my son got hold of it. The other day he took a CTR 10uf capacitor to school for show and tell. I wonder what they (the school) thought.

as I have gotten older my needs have changed a lot. Less need for SPL but more need for a "goosebump" expereince.

My first big system was a 5 way tri amped behemoth and used all Philips drivers. After I left for college my mom discarded it. Then, in college, I was introduced to JBL's Pro series and I built something my friends called the Eliminator. All JBL Pro using 2 15" woofers, 2 8" mdibasses, horn mid and hf. 4 way fully active. 100db/1w. at 10W it could part your hair. then we (a friend and me) built a poor man's Eliminator using parts from Gold Sound but a cast concrete cabinet, then in the mid 80s came Dynaudio, Focal, Seas, Vifa, etc...and i got involved in every audio club I could find in the Tri-State area (NY, MA, CT).
great. im born in a wrong country. i belong to a country where people respect diyers. i sometimes feel i should run away to US.

Quote:
which caps? what values? CTR? if you need MIT, Wondercap etc.. I'll have to order them.
i thought these MIT, wondercap are available in mumbai. dont order. acha BTW from where do you order these things? through the web? i never used a credit card ever in my life but because of the situation in here im gettig one. bus im waiting for the courier man. lol.

navinji, what audio system do you currently have at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
...and end up as a horny fat drunk old man that wears knickers? There must be an easier way to do that.

Actually, I had no clue what Navin was saying there. I thought he got angry or something.

PM sent.
hahahah, "those aren't knickers" what say sam?

even i didn't have any clue about what navinji said. but it was sweet. navinji speaking hindi.

pm received.

i have 1 thing to say. i dont have any clue what i write at night. you can see the time. i dont remember anything. so please forgive me if i offend anyone.

Last edited by clipto333 : 1st September 2007 at 13:03.
Old 1st September 2007, 13:05   #6944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
deralte paaji, ye kya hai uncle ji? lol my name is j.padmaraj(when im in ponicherry i rent a bike(same bike everytime. enticer) there is a sticker on the head light which says j.padmaraj so some people started calling me that lol)
Padmaraj, that's nice!
I thought Navin's post and B&T's suggestion could be better encapsulated by making your handle ekdum tagda dumdaar zabardast. Hence the "Dr. Rajah Sir @Clipto333_Muthu_Pandian_Arasu_Chettiar, Trained By Navin, Because Of B&T", which is a takeoff on something that I had read years back!
Old 1st September 2007, 13:14   #6945
BHPian

navinji, i hope your son doesn't know what a capacitor is as it can be fatal. didn't want to say it but i had to. its dangerous.

deralte paaji, kahaan kahaan se dhoondh ke late ho yeh naam? (from where do you come up with these names?)lol trained by navin? i agree but why because of B&T? did he give supari to navinji for me?

cheers
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 1st September 2007 at 13:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks