Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 13:32   #6601
Senior - BHPian

My HU woes:
Flashback:Owing to my super intelligent brain, i bridged the front and rear of my HU. After i was kicked by the Gurus for doing that, i reverted back and now, the rear signal from the HU is connected to the components(my only speakers in the car).

Since my car needed a suspension overhaul, I sent her to the garage on thursday .I forgot to remove the faceplate.

Present:
My speakers don't work. I played with all the settings in the HU.But still, it doesn't play. The HU shows all signs of playing, but i doubt its giving any signal to the speakers. Its like playing music on the HU with the volume kept at zero.
No distortion, nothing!
I have a faint feeling that i've fried my HU's internal amplifier(although it played well after i un-bridged the HU).
What do u Gurus think??
Old 17th July 2007, 13:48   #6602
Team-BHP Support

check speaker connections. hopefully there are no shorts. Even if the front speaker wires are shorted (these wires are not connected to any speakers) you could have a problem.
Old 17th July 2007, 13:50   #6603
Team-BHP Support

Did you check for a loose contact?
Old 17th July 2007, 15:37   #6604
Senior - BHPian

I just checked.No loose contacts.
HU's internal amp is gone. :(
Now,Would the output come from RCA connects if the HU's internal amp doesn't work??
Old 17th July 2007, 15:49   #6605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I just checked.No loose contacts.
HU's internal amp is gone. :(
Now,Would the output come from RCA connects if the HU's internal amp doesn't work??
Yes .
Old 17th July 2007, 16:03   #6606
Senior - BHPian

Phew!
Then,its zero liability for me.
Though a Lesson well learnt.
Old 17th July 2007, 16:26   #6607
BHPian

Best system for my swift?

Hey sam...I want to get a CD system for my swift with all the 4 door speakers.
What configuration (head unit and speakers) do you recommend?
Old 17th July 2007, 23:39   #6608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Hey sam...I want to get a CD system for my swift with all the 4 door speakers.
What configuration (head unit and speakers) do you recommend?
WHat music do you listen to? How much do you intend to spend? How loud do you like to play? Are you willing to sacrifice boot space for a subwoofer?
Old 18th July 2007, 08:42   #6609
Senior - BHPian

Anybody cares to answer my question on A.S.S. in post #6601?
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post500876)
Old 18th July 2007, 09:42   #6610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
But when it comes to HUs, amps & speakers, do we really need any service as such? I believe all these components will either work fine without requiring any maintenance or just blow, mid-bass or woofers being an exception, that too only to some extent.... Am I missing something here? Is it any different when it comes to ICE?
Santosh, most electronics companies are quite good when it comes to A.S.S. In my expereince the worst expereince I had was with Sony (46" LCD Television) so much so I will never buy nor recommend a Sony product and it was only long standing relationship with the dealer who ageesd to take up the case with Sony directly and give me a Samsung (excellent A.S.S BTW) instead that kept me from getting really angry (normally I am not prone to getting angry).

In one case my mom had a Blau HU in her Matiz. After about 13-14 months the HU gave some trouble. I forget what it was but it was a Cassette HU. My dealer got it replaced with a new HU for free. This obviosuly means that Blau respects their dealers and through them their customers.

As far as speakers go, I have seen more blown tweeters than woofers or midranges. THis is beucase woofers and midranges will distort and sound distorted before they blow. this distortion warns most people to turn it down becuase it is very irritating to listen to this distorted sound for long.

The things most people blow are HUs and Amps. Sometimes due to neglect. Sometimes due to a faulty install. If the customer can prove with resonable conviction that the fault was a manufacturing defect most manfuacturers will replace the product. Alpine India even procured a pinch roller for my circa 1987 HU (7385) in 2005 (I was charged for that)!

In short I do see a very good reason for buying with B&W. Unless ofcourse youa re getting a price that is 30-40% of the price with B&W and you are willing to take that risk.
Old 18th July 2007, 10:39   #6611
Senior - BHPian

Ya I generally buy the Items in grey as the price differnce is so much that it is better to buy them in grey. For the *** which I can do it personally as DIY job. also if some thing goes major wrong I sell the product as it is or by repairing it.
Old 18th July 2007, 11:04   #6612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
WHat music do you listen to? How much do you intend to spend? How loud do you like to play? Are you willing to sacrifice boot space for a subwoofer?
@Naveen... I want all the door speakers... and nothing in the boot...
not a loud music enthusiast...
My budget is around Rs.10,000/-.
Old 18th July 2007, 11:38   #6613
Senior - BHPian

I have actually bought a lot of electronics stuff from Japan, USA and Germany over the last 20 years, without bothering that the warranty is not international. In the few cases that stuff has failed, I was able to get a replacement in all cases whenever I approached the original place of purchase.

But that may not be practical in all cases, especially in India if not bought with b&w.

B&w and A.S.S. are like life / health insurance, and we realize the worth of insurance only when we are advanced in years. The ability to afford it otherwise or write off that cost can make you override the need for 'insurance', as LBM has explained.

Last edited by DerAlte : 18th July 2007 at 11:40.
Old 18th July 2007, 13:07   #6614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
@Naveen... I want all the door speakers... and nothing in the boot...
not a loud music enthusiast...
My budget is around Rs.10,000/-.
For 4-5K you can get the Pio 2950 or Blau Mumbai. JVC also has a HU in this range but I dont know the model.
For speakers try JBL's CS series or Blau's GTO series of speakers. You can 4 6" coax for about 6K.
Old 18th July 2007, 13:31   #6615
Distinguished - BHPian

If at all you are interested in JBL, you should know that starting today, the JBL CS components CS2165C are now lowered in price making the set 3990/- with B&W.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 18th July 2007 at 13:33.

Most Viewed